Skeptics in the News

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Grammatron

Re: Skeptics in the News

Postby Grammatron » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:45 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:I don't read Peezus anymore but in this case on this narrow issue I think my views are closer to his than to Shermer's.

If Trump is somehow "a step away from Religion" how come he chose Mike Pence? Which public policy favored by the religious right has he opposed (since becoming a candidate, I know he flipped on abortion to pander to them)? Why does he say things like the IRS is auditing my taxes because I'm "a strong Christian"? Why does he want to give preferential treatment to Christian refugees?

Those are mostly separate issues though.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:57 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:I don't read Peezus anymore but in this case on this narrow issue I think my views are closer to his than to Shermer's.

If Trump is somehow "a step away from Religion" how come he chose Mike Pence? Which public policy favored by the religious right has he opposed (since becoming a candidate, I know he flipped on abortion to pander to them)? Why does he say things like the IRS is auditing my taxes because I'm "a strong Christian"? Why does he want to give preferential treatment to Christian refugees?

Sometimes you are so terse that I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. I'm talking about whether somehow Trump represents a step away from religion compared to previous presidents. Which is Shermer's argument.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:07 am

Anaxagoras wrote:If Trump is somehow "a step away from Religion" how come he chose Mike Pence?

Practical politics. He needed a "real" Republican to balance the ticket.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:09 am

I can't answer for Trump, I want to give preferential treatment to Christian refugees because those are the guys being deliberately exterminated.

-- our mission statement

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:11 am

I do not think Trump is a step away from religion, but that's still not Shermer taking a pro-Trump position.

PZ hates Shermer for being more famous and getting more pussy.

I suspect that's also part of why PZ hates Trump, though I don't impute that to others opposed to Trump.

-- our mission statement

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:27 am

:freedom:

Got no time for snowflakes.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:31 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Grammatron wrote:

Sometimes you are so terse that I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. I'm talking about whether somehow Trump represents a step away from religion compared to previous presidents. Which is Shermer's argument.

Fair enough, I'll to to elaborate my point.

Mike Pence is religious and a Christian, but I am not sure that Trump chose his because he's a Christian, or religious. Similarly, his flip on abortion was more likely a practical flip based on politics rather than some religious conviction.

The refugee thing seems practical to me more than anything. Wouldn't it be most prudent to accept the most vulnerable refugees? If so then a religious minority in a very much a religious conflict would fall under that.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:34 am

Anax: I was going to write that there are FAILcons fans who say "if we ran we'd get a field goal and win!" blah . . . blah . . . including rabid Flats, Seamen fans, et cetera.

These clowns cannot even claim they "woulda/shoulda" won. No.

They are Max Kellerman predicting Brady has fallen off of a cliff every year for the past like five years. "ANY DAY NOW!"

Yup.

"ANY DAY NOW" America will shed itself of religion!!1!! If you believe that, I have two plays two idiots who coached the Dolts thought would work despite them both being utterly illegal.

I highly doubt Shermer or Peezus voted for Trump. I doubt they support Republicans at all given the ties to if not enslavement by the PsychoCons. With the failure of Obama, Republicans having control of both Houses and the Presidency is a worse nightmare than either of their sex tapes [Citation needed.--Ed.].

So this sad attempt to put lipstick on shemp is all they have.

Well . . . that and some very embarrassing video. . . .

It is raining outside . . . work with me here. . . .

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:11 am

Grammatron wrote:Fair enough, I'll to to elaborate my point.

Mike Pence is religious and a Christian, but I am not sure that Trump chose his because he's a Christian, or religious. Similarly, his flip on abortion was more likely a practical flip based on politics rather than some religious conviction.

I wrote a response to this but I'm having some computer issues today.

Briefly though, Pence wasn't chosen only because he is a conservative Christian, but it certainly was one of the factors that went into the decision. As to the flip on abortion, I fully agree that it was for practical political reasons and not because of a religious conviction. But that's sort of the point too: what he believes in his heart (if anything) doesn't matter, it's what he says out loud and what he does that counts.

I seem to recall that there used to be a few pro-choice Republicans. They are very much a dying breed. The same is probably true for pro-life Democrats. The parties have become very rigid on that issue. I think both parties are now hostage to the "activist" part of their base, at least on certain issues, abortion being one of those issues. So to that extent, whether he actually believes it or not is irrelevant as a practical matter. What matters is that he will need votes from evangelicals to be reelected. So he will do something, at least, for them (and already has).
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:27 am

Anaxagoras wrote:Briefly though, Pence wasn't chosen only because he is a conservative Christian, but it certainly was one of the factors that went into the decision.

"Jane, you ignorant slut!"

I really fail to see any other reason. The PsychoCons may have not been enough force in a whack-job like Cruz but, frankly, I think enough of them knew Hillary would wipe the floor with him. Though, when you think about it, with her e-mails and other failings . . . if we ended up with . . . "President Begin Your Day on Your Knees Cruz?!!" Whenever I hear some Crybaby scream about "I would take anyone but Trump" I remind them of Cruz . . . and Even Dumber Bush . . . and The Fat Man. [Get on with it!--Ed.]

Right! I think Trump knew he needed a very hard right religious conservative to make the PsychoCons vote for him. He is about as believable religious as Bill Clinton walking around with a Bible after he used it to wipe Monica's lipstick off his dick. He sensed it when he made the brief "mistake" of letting it be known he did not give a shit about bathrooms.

Though one could say this: Pence comes off as "well meaning" with less of a tendency to shoot his mouth off like Uncle Joe. He has been supportive--see North Korea--but he also knows this position is a gift of sorts. Believe me, I can regale on the negatives of Pence. Publicly, he is behaving. No rallies about how we should "Pray the Gay Away" so far.

As to the flip on abortion, I fully agree that it was for practical political reasons and not because of a religious conviction. But that's sort of the point too: what he believes in his heart (if anything) doesn't matter, it's what he says out loud and what he does that counts.

Oh indeed. But I also think Trump is a pragmatist if "What's Good for Trump" is in the definition of "pragmatist." I would not be surprise if he actually did try to form a coalition with moderate Dems and Republicans against the unreasonable conservatives. This will not happen since there are not to many moderate anythings and the Dems are too butt-hurt to work with him on anything that does not involve him on his knees [For the sake of the commonweal, we shall end this tangent before he evokes the names of Congresswoman Pelosi or Senator Schumer in a way that may be connected with that position.--Ed.]

I seem to recall that there used to be a few pro-choice Republicans. They are very much a dying breed.

I am not sure about that, but that is more wishful thinking rather than actual evidences-thanks. Though I do very much agree with:

I think both parties are now hostage to the "activist" part of their base, at least on certain issues, abortion being one of those issues.

Very much so. The PsychoCon influence on the Republicans is as destructive as the Surrender Monkey :freedom: influence on the Democrats. I sometimes think too many Republicans think, "they would never actually make abortion illegal" the same way too many Democrats think, "we would never actually abandon our role in the world to Russia, China, and Schenectady." Of course, nothing promotes stupidity like smart people doing nothing or, worse, expecting others to be smart. So while I understand Trump's "flip-flop" I can condemn it just as we should celebrate his moderation on some other stances--which may have been so much rhetoric. If it sounds like waifu "congratulating" you on not spraying the walls and getting it all in the お手洗い . . . well . . . the bar is low here.

So to that extent, whether he actually believes it or not is irrelevant as a practical matter. What matters is that he will need votes from evangelicals to be reelected. So he will do something, at least, for them (and already has).

Yup. But a lot will, I think, depend on:

1. Whom the Democrats nominate.
    2. The Economy Stupid [Copyright James Carvell.--Ed.] "Kopjiwreicht!"
    3. Role in World: are we respected, feared, and are things NOT happening like NK not going full fuck, Russia starting to play nice, oh look! UNICORNS!
    4. Much like the above: the country and world is not nearly as bad as the naysayers thought.

As much as I recognize the eschatological level of FAIL that was Obama . . . was it that bad? Bad enough for people to "dump" him? Maybe if the Truth[Tm.--Ed.] about Bengazi and the lies of Tom Smothers Harry Reid were known . . . and if Pete Carroll ran the ball . . . and Tom Brady saw Gronk . . . and she did not open the door to the basement LIKE I TOLD HER NOT TOO we all get ice cream!

But not ponies.

Ponies would be Nice.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:40 pm

Peezus sez ...

Another con wrecked by casual sexism
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... al-sexism/

Odyssey Con, a science-fiction convention in Madison, Wisconsin, is suddenly hemorrhaging guests-of-honor who are bailing out because a known harasser was working as the guest liaison ...

Notice something.

No actual allegations of harassment, merely the presence of a "known harasser".

-- our mission statement

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:04 pm

I realized the solution to this is to not give a fuck about a convention I wasn't going to be attending anyway.

Rob Lister
Title: Recursive Spline Reticulator

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:19 pm

Monstrous legends in the publishing world, both. You can practically google them. You wouldn't want to miss this Con, Gram.

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:22 pm

3 cancellations is a hemorrhage?

Anyway...Peezus et al. apparently still do not understand the concept of actionable libel.

They do seem to understand how to milk a cow.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Rob Lister
Title: Recursive Spline Reticulator

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:36 pm

Pyrrho wrote:They do seem to understand how to milk a cow.

Talk about trigger!

They're going to ban you for sure.

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:45 am

Grammatron wrote:I realized the solution to this is to not give a fuck about a convention I wasn't going to be attending anyway.

Giving a fuck is not really part of my deal either, but I have a definite weakness for pointing and laughing.

You know, like this ==> :Mockering:

-- our mission statement

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:21 am

Rob Lister wrote:
Pyrrho wrote:They do seem to understand how to milk a cow.

Talk about trigger!

They're going to ban you for sure.

Maybe I can get an honored guest spot at Odyssey Con. What's the honorarium?

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:29 am

Pyrrho wrote:Maybe I can get an honored guest spot at Odyssey Con. What's the honorarium?

All you get is the admiration of your adoring fans.

But don't adore them back or Peezus will denounce you.

-- our mission statement

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:15 am

A wiser man than me asked when I discussed politics in a martial art: "Do they ever work out or just spend their time talking?"

Thus these people.

Lots of talking. Lots of righteous indignation. Nothing done.

Rather like a religion.

--J.D.

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sat May 20, 2017 6:37 pm

Guess what else is a social construct. :lmao:

http://www.skeptic.com/reading_room/con ... r-studies/

-- our mission statement

Return to “Banter”