Irma comes for a visit

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
ed
Title: Modulator

Re: Irma comes for a visit

Postby ed » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:31 am

I did that. Couldnt move it away because there were some innocent kittehs and puppies and ponys in the path so I manned up and took the brunt though I did cause it to downgrade in order to protect my loved ones.
Am I great (ans sensitive) or what?
- new minimalist ethos -

Fid

Postby Fid » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:47 pm

Raining like cow a pissin on a flat rock, wind gusting like 50 mph. Power went off about two hours ago and I don't expect it to be restored before at least tomorrow.
On the other hand I got food, liquor, water, a gas stove, kerosene lamps, lot of good books, and a roomie that wants to play chess.

So all in all I'm ok. :)
"...And therefore never send to know for whom the dog woofs; it woofs for thee."

Witness

Postby Witness » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:17 am

Fid wrote:On the other hand I got food, liquor, water, a gas stove, kerosene lamps, lot of good books, and a roomie that wants to play chess.
Civilization maintained. :figamagee:

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:10 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

gnome

Postby gnome » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:20 pm

No real damage, but on second day after with no power. Not fun, but could have been a lot worse.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Rob Lister
Title: Recursive Spline Reticulator

Postby Rob Lister » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:29 pm

Will your power company reimburse you for your lost food? Years ago we lost power for about a week. We got a $XXX credit on our bill, no questions asked. I don't remember the exact amount but it wasn't trivial. They just did it.

gnome

Postby gnome » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:37 pm

I hadn't asked--that's an interesting one. I wouldn't think of it as their responsibility, but if it's in our agreement somewhere or if they offered it as customer goodwill I certainly wouldn't turn it down.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:49 pm

BREAKING NEWS: THIS JUST IN
http://www.cleveland.com/weather/blog/i ... could.html

Hurricane Irma remnants could impact Northeast Ohio by Wednesday, but exact track still unclear, says National Weather Service

With Hurricane Irma currently thrashing south Florida with 120 mph winds as a Category 3 storm, many Northeast Ohioans are beginning to wonder about potential impacts to Ohio. Worries are rising since a few notable tropical cyclone remnants in the past have inflicted widespread damage due to flooding rains, and caused a few fatalities locally, including Katrina in 2005 and Superstorm Sandy in 2012.

For now, the forecast shows a 30 percent chance of light showers Tuesday night, a 30 percent chance for scattered storms Wednesday, and a 40 percent chance for more thunderstorms Thursday.

:rain: :gloomy: :crybaby: :propeller: :gray:

Oh, and
:cowbell:
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Witness

Postby Witness » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:49 am

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:50 pm

Situation getting dire. Cleveland refugees are heading for shelter in neighborhood taverns.

http://www.cleveland.com/weather/blog/i ... _impa.html

Hurricane Irma remnants on track to hit Northeast Ohio Wednesday, Thursday with scattered thunderstorms

The real action begins Thursday as the low pushes closer, making the atmosphere increasingly conducive to forming stronger thunderstorms -- chances of showers jump to 50 percent Thursday morning and afternoon, then dwindle after 3 p.m. Although chances are higher for Thursday, indicating a higher coverage of storms, there is "concern that the coverage of the showers/thunderstorms that develop on Thursday will end up being slightly less than current expectations," Mullen added.

:o

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:37 pm

Well, this is apparently some portion of Irma's petticoats, right over my house. I think I can see the image of ed in it.

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:54 pm

Why did ed push it in your direction. Does he hate your ditch?
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Witness

Postby Witness » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:55 pm

↑ ed is everywhere! :roll:

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:51 pm

Grammatron wrote:Why did ed push it in your direction. Does he hate your ditch?

ed works in mysterious ways.

Boss Paul
Title: Boss

Postby Boss Paul » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:39 am

Pyrrho wrote:Well, this is apparently some portion of Irma's petticoats, right over my house. I think I can see the image of ed in it.

All I see is there's no rain!

Get back to work!
Get the wax outta your ears!

You call the Captain "Captain!"

And you call the rest of us "Boss," you hear?!

Witness

Postby Witness » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:14 pm

Fid

Postby Fid » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:55 pm

Big fan drying out the basement (not as bad as I expected) check. Re-supplying liquor. Check. Re-supplying food. Check. Look for a new roomie that did'nt actually study chess . Bastage.
"...And therefore never send to know for whom the dog woofs; it woofs for thee."

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:21 pm

gnome wrote:I hadn't asked--that's an interesting one. I wouldn't think of it as their responsibility, but if it's in our agreement somewhere or if they offered it as customer goodwill I certainly wouldn't turn it down.

Amazing. Yet, it's up to the customer to look after him/herself and provide backup power to the deep freeze.
Nice things? Hell no!

Board Crumbmuffin.

Witness

Postby Witness » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:28 am

Fid

Postby Fid » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:33 am

My tropical storm had a much bigger pecker.

Return to “Banter”