The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Re: The UK thread

Postby asthmatic camel » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:30 pm

It's a kinda common sense approach. If you have "good reason" to carry a chef's knife in public, (like being a chef), you'll be OK. Otherwise you can end up in a whole heap of crap.

Legal shit.

The gay knife might be legal as the blade is less than 3" long. I can't tell if it's a lock knife though: if it is it isn't gay enough to be legal.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

ed
Title: Trilobite of the Florida swamp

Postby ed » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:38 pm

asthmatic camel wrote:It's a kinda common sense approach. If you have "good reason" to carry a chef's knife in public, (like being a chef), you'll be OK. Otherwise you can end up in a whole heap of crap.

Legal shit.

The gay knife might be legal as the blade is less than 3" long. I can't tell if it's a lock knife though: if it is it isn't gay enough to be legal.

Didn't realize you lot were so murderous. Seems if you are presented with some string on a weight mayhem will ensue. Good thing the government is there for you.
- new minimalist ethos -

asthmatic camel

Postby asthmatic camel » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:58 pm

I blame our proud military heritage, ed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2jgrGtiYHE
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:59 pm

So if I'm a home cook who wants a chef's knife, tough shit?
End user certificate or equivalent or GTFO?

BTW, I happen to have one. For cooking.
Never used in anger. Really.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

asthmatic camel

Postby asthmatic camel » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:08 pm

You'd be fine going to a store and buying chef's knives as long as you are over 18, (I seem to remember that it's a good idea not to remove the packaging until you get home.) You are not allowed to have them delivered to your home.

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:10 pm

So when you buy it at the store you need to show some ID to prove your age?
Do they also take down names and addresses at that point?

This is what was required for buying handguns in the US state of New Mexico when I lived there.

asthmatic camel

Postby asthmatic camel » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:14 pm

You'd be asked for ID unless obviously over 18, same applies to other regulated products like alcohol, tobacco & solvents. They don't take names and addresses.

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:25 pm

So in terms of ownership at home, really no restriction. But mail order not allowed.

Any incidents of yobbos mail ordering such things?

ed
Title: Trilobite of the Florida swamp

Postby ed » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:30 pm

asthmatic camel wrote:I blame our proud military heritage, ed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2jgrGtiYHE

With one arm and one eye he'd kick your sorry ass.

This guy ....

He'd do with one foot.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -pond.html
- new minimalist ethos -

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:02 am

asthmatic camel

Postby asthmatic camel » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:55 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:So in terms of ownership at home, really no restriction. But mail order not allowed.

Any incidents of yobbos mail ordering such things?

That's about right.

Amazon were found to be selling illegal flick knives to British kids by mail order.

After the death of Bailey Gwynne, a teenager stabbed to death at his school with a £40 knife another student had ordered on Amazon, a Guardian investigation found that the US retailing giant was still selling age-restricted folding knives with no checking procedure to ensure they were being safely collected by adults.

Gwynne’s 16-year-old killer had circumvented Amazon’s age-verification checks and bought the 8.5cm knife by pinning a note to his front door rather than accepting delivery in person and having to prove that he was 18.

Six months after Gwynne’s death, a Guardian reporter was still able to receive age-restricted knives from Amazon without any checks by posting a similar note to the door of a family home.

Source.

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:52 pm

When I was a kid in USSR I had a pocket knife and this hand-made knife.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:43 pm

Where the fuck is the NSTA when we need them?
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:30 am

This BBC headline confused me:

Commonwealth meeting: Queen hopes Prince Charles will succeed her

The Queen has appealed to Commonwealth leaders to appoint her son, Prince Charles, to succeed her as their head.

She said it was her "sincere wish" that Prince Charles takes over "one day", as she opened the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) in London.

The role is not hereditary and will not pass automatically to the Prince of Wales on the Queen's death.

The 53 leaders, gathered at Buckingham Palace, are expected to sign off the deal when they meet on Friday.

There had been some suggestions that the position should be rotated around member states, the BBC's James Landale says.

Addressing the gathering of dignitaries, royals and the prime minister, the Queen said it was a "pleasure, this time, to welcome you to my home" for the biennial meeting.

When I first read it, I thought maybe they were saying that Prince Charles might not necessarily take over as king of the United Kingdom. But I think that's pretty much a given. This is about whether he will also be the head of the Commonwealth, which includes Canada, Australia, New Zealand and a number of other nations. For 16 of them, she is officially the head of state, which is why you see her face on Canadian money for example.

She said it remained a "great pleasure and honour to serve you" and to observe "with pride and satisfaction that this is a flourishing network".

She added: "It is my sincere wish that the Commonwealth will continue to offer stability and continuity for future generations, and will decide that one day the Prince of Wales should carry on the important work started by my father in 1949."

Other issues under discussion at the two-day summit include ocean conservation, cyber security, and trade between the countries.

Singer Emeli Sande began proceedings with a rendition of the National Anthem in the palace's ballroom.

Some interesting pictures. Is the Prime Minister of New Zealand drinking while pregnant? The photo and caption seem to suggest it, but of course something non-alcoholic could be in the glass.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Postby Witness » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:51 pm

The Independent wrote:'Too expensive' to delete millions of police mugshots of innocent people, minister claims

Millions of police mugshots of innocent people cannot be deleted because it would be too expensive, a government minister has claimed – despite a High Court ruling that the practice is unlawful.

The work would have to be “done manually” by local forces, making the costs “difficult to justify”, a committee of MPs investigating the controversy has been told.

The Home Office has also admitted it has no idea how many people have successfully asked for their mugshots to be deleted – amid suspicions that the figure is very low.

The revelations were quickly attacked by Norman Lamb, the chairman of the science and technology committee, who has warned the mass retention of facial images raises “fundamental civil liberty issues”.

They come just days after it was revealed the Home Office destroyed landing cards which could have helped Windrush arrivals prove their right to stay in the UK - allegedly to comply with data protection laws.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/police-mugshots-innocent-people-cant-delete-expensive-mp-committee-high-court-ruling-a8310896.html

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Tue May 01, 2018 9:07 am

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Tue May 01, 2018 9:06 pm

pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Witness

Postby Witness » Tue May 01, 2018 11:21 pm

↑ Reminded me of this meme:

Witness

Postby Witness » Wed May 02, 2018 1:30 am

Mail Online wrote:Inside Britain's first ever Flat Earth convention where conspiracy theorists discuss 'proof' our planet is shaped like a disc and that 'gravity doesn't exist'

– Those who believe the Flat Earth Theory claim our planet is shaped like a disc
– UK's first Flat Earth Convention took place over three days in a Birmingham hotel
– Nine speakers took the stage to discuss their 'proof' that our planet is flat
– Among the 200 people who attended were IT consultants and an NHS manager
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5674803/Inside-Britains-Flat-Earth-convention.html

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sun May 06, 2018 12:43 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Labour’s NEC Set To Confirm Trans People Allowed On All-Women Shortlists
Huffington Post

Background: The Labour Party has recently been running only women in "safe" seats.

Synopsis: This pic is the synopsis>

Follow up:

Labour feminist who took on the party's trans activists is questioned by police, accused of 'hate crime'
Daily Fail

A veteran Labour activist who opposes transgender candidates taking places on all-women shortlists says she is facing an attempt to silence her after she was questioned by police over an alleged hate crime.

Linda Bellos, an outspoken feminist and former Lambeth council leader, last night accused transgender campaigners of targeting her as part of a ‘war on women’.

The 67-year-old, who is a friend of Jeremy Corbyn, was interviewed under caution after she was reported to police over remarks she made about her willingness to take on pro-transgender activists. A second Labour activist, Miranda Yardley, was also questioned about messages she posted online.

:MuhammadBoom:

Return to “Banter”