Angry Spam

How not to buy a brick in a box off the back of a truck.
Nyarlathotep

Re: Angry Spam

Postby Nyarlathotep » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:38 pm

We'll see. Going to check it once a day, for a while

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:25 pm

Nothing today

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:04 am

Maybe if you sent Happy Spam?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:09 pm

Doctor X wrote:Maybe if you sent Happy Spam?

--J.D.

Nah, I am just curious how long it takes an unused address to get spam. If it takes longer than, say, a month, I might try a few other experiments. But for now, the address goes unmentioned and unused

Rob Lister
Title: Recursive Spline Reticulator

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:11 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Doctor X wrote:Maybe if you sent Happy Spam?

--J.D.

Nah, I am just curious how long it takes an unused address to get spam. If it takes longer than, say, a month, I might try a few other experiments. But for now, the address goes unmentioned and unused

You may remember from years back I did such an experiment. I signed up at the DNC and RNC just to see to whom each would sell my addy. For the first couple of months it was none. I got no spam whatsoever from either. Then I forgot the passwords.

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:29 pm

Anax has got it right IMO. The spam I get on my work email comes from compromised mailboxes of people I've corresponded with.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Witness

Postby Witness » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:26 am

There is also a type of idiot who can't understand the difference between CC and CCI and sends out enormous bunches of e-mail addresses for all to see/grab. Artists do that a lot, in my experience.

gnome

Postby gnome » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:14 pm

My favorite experiment was done by an old co-worker of mine. He set up an email server where his domain was his last name, dot com. Then he set it up so that no matter what email was addressed to that domain, it would route it to a single inbox whether it had an account on his server or not.

Then whenever he signed up for something, he'd use different email addresses according to who it was. amazon@mcname.com, yahoo@mcname.com, ebay@mcname.com, and so forth. Then when he got spam, he was able to see who had given out his email address to that particular spammer.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:35 pm

gnome wrote:My favorite experiment was done by an old co-worker of mine. He set up an email server where his domain was his last name, dot com. Then he set it up so that no matter what email was addressed to that domain, it would route it to a single inbox whether it had an account on his server or not.

Then whenever he signed up for something, he'd use different email addresses according to who it was. amazon@mcname.com, yahoo@mcname.com, ebay@mcname.com, and so forth. Then when he got spam, he was able to see who had given out his email address to that particular spammer.

You don't even need to be that slick.

My AT&T Universal account supports aliasing, and furthermore you can even gimmick gmail to do something equivalent "enough".
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

gnome

Postby gnome » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:28 pm

This was pre-gmail. :oldman:
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:41 pm

gnome wrote:This was pre-gmail. :oldman:

:coolspecs:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Return to “Frauds, Scams & Urban Myths”