Azilian engravings (14,000 BP)

What's your artifact doing in Boss Kean's ditch?
Witness

Azilian engravings (14,000 BP)

Postby Witness » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:06 pm

PLOS one wrote:Abstract

The development of the Azilian in Western Europe 14,000 years ago is considered a “revolution” in Upper Paleolithic Archaeology. One of the main elements of this rapid social restructuring is the abandonment of naturalistic figurative art on portable pieces or on cave walls in the Magdalenian in favor of abstract expression on small pebbles. Recent work shows that the transformation of human societies between the Magdalenian and the Azilian was more gradual. The discovery of a new Early Azilian site with decorated stones in France supports this hypothesis. While major changes in stone tool technology between the Magdalenian and Azilian clearly mark important adaptive changes, the discovery of 45 engraved schist tablets from archaeological layers at Le Rocher de l’Impératrice attests to iconographic continuity together with special valorization of aurochs as shown by a “shining” bull depiction. This evidence suggests that some cultural features such as iconography may lag far behind technological changes. We also argue that eventual change in symbolic expression, which includes the later disappearance of figurative art, provides new insight into the probable restructuring of the societies.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0173037

Some millenia before the end of the Ice Age; sea levels 90 m lower than today, so the site was then 50 km inland.

[typo corrected]
Last edited by Witness on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

ed
Title: Pissed Off

Re: Azilian engravings (14.000 BP)

Postby ed » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:14 pm

Yes, but how does this square with the fact that the earth is 6,000 years old? Answer me that?

Checkmate.
NOTE----> MY AVATAR GIVES MY POSTS SPECIAL AUTHORITY AND MAKES THEM TRUE <----NOTE

"O, if George should die, the sorrow and the woe, O, the black grief of the world ..."

"Critical situations first become crises when oxen or women get excited."

"It's a scientific fact that if you stay in California you lose one point of your IQ every year."
Truman Capote

Fid

Postby Fid » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:25 am

ed wrote:Yes, but how does this square with the fact that the earth is 6,000 years old? Answer me that?

Checkmate.

Well, it is a well known fact the Earth was not completely flat at that time...centrifugal force had not yet had time to shape our home like a pizza.

Kidding aside watch this movie. It's not action packed no (well yeah one) gun, and yes it's mostly a bunch of folks talking. But IMO it doth kick the ass.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/?ref_=nv_sr_1
It was like the M.C. Escher of the English language. - Loon

Witness

Postby Witness » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:15 am

ed wrote:Yes, but how does this square with the fact that the earth is 6,000 years old? Answer me that?

Checkmate.

You're just jealous. :mrgreen:

For the 0.01 % interested, a link to an excruciatingly detailed description of the Mas d'Azil cave (hence the name), http://donsmaps.com/masdazil.html, with some very fine art:

a spear thrower

another spear thrower

a phallus

Fid

Re: Azilian engravings (14,000 BP)

Postby Fid » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:16 pm

Seriously, thanks. I did not know this. Around here we have a dog park where people use a version of the atlatl to throw tennis balls.:)

Witness

Postby Witness » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:31 pm

Fid wrote:Seriously, thanks. I did not know this. Around here we have a dog park where people use a version of the atlatl to throw tennis balls.:)

You're welcome. So they are still in use, if only to exhaust the poor doggies? :mrgreen:

As for the thrown stuff, Azilian bone harpoons were a bit crude:

but others were made with microliths, which is smart (more cutting edge / kg).

And then they produced these weird painted pebbles:

(both from Mas d'Azil)

(Looking again at the phallus, I just wondered if the engravings represent tattoos? Ouch!)

Fid

Postby Fid » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:11 am

My grandpa used to take me on walks by the Etowah river after a rain. We would find arrow heads. I like to imagine the lives of the people that produced these beautiful artifacts.

Return to “Archaeology”