Dark Matter and Dark Energy

We are the Borg.
Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Dark Matter and Dark Energy

Post by Bruce » Wed May 25, 2011 10:06 am

Dark Matter:
In astronomy and cosmology, dark matter is matter that is inferred to exist from gravitational effects on visible matter and background radiation, but is undetectable by emitted or scattered electromagnetic radiation.[1] Its existence was hypothesized to account for discrepancies between measurements of the mass of galaxies, clusters of galaxies and the entire universe made through dynamical and general relativistic means, and measurements based on the mass of the visible "luminous" matter these objects contain: stars and the gas and dust of the interstellar and intergalactic medium.
In short, Dark Matter is an invisible 'glue' that binds the universe together.

The Force:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_(Star_Wars)
The Force is a binding, metaphysical and ubiquitous power in the fictional universe of the Star Wars galaxy created by George Lucas.
In other words, Lucas was First.

But wait, there's more....

Dark Energy:
In physical cosmology, astronomy and celestial mechanics, dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that permeates all of space and tends to increase the rate of expansion of the universe.
In other words, it's a destructive force that's tearing the universe apart, which sounds an awful lot like....

The Dark Side (of the force):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_side_(Star_Wars)
The dark side is portrayed as the evil aspect of the Force..... th mystical energy which permeates the universe.
I'm surprise Lucas hasn't sued the astrophysics community for copywrite infringment. :roll:

DrMatt
BANNED

Re: Dark Matter and Dark Energy

Post by DrMatt » Wed May 25, 2011 10:42 am

It's been done.
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel » Wed May 25, 2011 11:14 am

Shiva's sued George Lucas? It usually works the other way round.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

clarsct

Post by clarsct » Thu May 26, 2011 11:29 pm

Gods don't sue..but guess what Luicas is coming back as next time.....
When Religion becomes State, and breaking the Law becomes a Sin, then Dissenters will become Heretics.

"Reading other people's opinions is a good way to avoid thinking." --My Wife

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Fri May 27, 2011 2:22 pm

A nun?
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

grayman

Post by grayman » Fri May 27, 2011 2:55 pm

On a related topic:

Aussie student finds universe's 'missing mass'
A 22-year-old Australian university student has solved a problem which has puzzled astrophysicists for decades, discovering part of the so-called "missing mass" of the universe during her summer break.
You will be electroplated. Resistance is potential divided by current! - Dr. Matt

Cogito, ergo Deus non est.

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Fri May 27, 2011 6:44 pm

grayman wrote:On a related topic:

A 22-year-old Australian university student has solved a problem which has puzzled astrophysicists for decades, discovering part of the so-called "missing mass" of the universe during her summer break.
He's wrong.

The missing mass is......

You mom.

:rimshot:

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri May 27, 2011 9:49 pm

DrMatt wrote:It's been done.
I'll say. :mrgreen:

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Fri May 27, 2011 10:45 pm

Bruce wrote:
grayman wrote:On a related topic:

He's wrong.

The missing mass is......

Your mom.

:rimshot:

DrMatt
BANNED

Post by DrMatt » Mon May 30, 2011 8:23 pm

Vespers
Grayman wrote:If masturbation led to homosexuality you'd think by now I'd at least have better fashion sense.

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:35 am

Bringing balance to the universe: New theory could explain missing 95 percent of the cosmos

Scientists at the University of Oxford may have solved one of the biggest questions in modern physics, with a new paper unifying dark matter and dark energy into a single phenomenon: a fluid which possesses 'negative mass." If you were to push a negative mass, it would accelerate towards you. This astonishing new theory may also prove right a prediction that Einstein made 100 years ago.

Our current, widely recognised model of the Universe, called LambdaCDM, tells us nothing about what dark matter and dark energy are like physically. We only know about them because of the gravitational effects they have on other, observable matter.

This new model, published today in Astronomy and Astrophysics, by Dr. Jamie Farnes from the Oxford e-Research Centre, Department of Engineering Science, offers a new explanation. Dr. Farnes says: "We now think that both dark matter and dark energy can be unified into a fluid which possesses a type of 'negative gravity," repelling all other material around them. Although this matter is peculiar to us, it suggests that our cosmos is symmetrical in both positive and negative qualities."

The existence of negative matter had previously been ruled out as it was thought this material would become less dense as the Universe expands, which runs contrary to our observations that show dark energy does not thin out over time. However, Dr. Farnes' research applies a 'creation tensor," which allows for negative masses to be continuously created. It demonstrates that when more and more negative masses are continually bursting into existence, this negative mass fluid does not dilute during the expansion of the cosmos. In fact, the fluid appears to be identical to dark energy.

Dr. Farnes's theory also provides the first correct predictions of the behaviour of dark matter halos. Most galaxies are rotating so rapidly they should be tearing themselves apart, which suggests that an invisible 'halo' of dark matter must be holding them together. The new research published today features a computer simulation of the properties of negative mass, which predicts the formation of dark matter halos just like the ones inferred by observations using modern radio telescopes.
https://phys.org/news/2018-12-universe- ... osmos.html

We'll see… :notsure:

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:53 am

Good readin' there!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:03 am

Interesting. More on it from the author himself:

https://theconversation.com/bizarre-dar ... sts-107922
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:40 pm

The existence of negative matter had previously been ruled out as it was thought this material would become less dense as the Universe expands, which runs contrary to our observations that show dark energy does not thin out over time. However, Dr. Farnes' research applies a 'creation tensor," which allows for negative masses to be continuously created. It demonstrates that when more and more negative masses are continually bursting into existence, this negative mass fluid does not dilute during the expansion of the cosmos.
We need a name for this viscous fluid that mysteriously burst into existence and keeps galaxies from flying apart.

GOD JIZZ
Such potential!

sparks

Post by sparks » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:17 pm

YahCum.

At finer stores everywhere.

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:47 am

I have some doubts about the galaxies.

1. maintaining their "too fast" rotation by external pressure doesn't look stable to me.
2. if this hypothetical negative matter comes towards you when you push, wouldn't it get sucked into the galaxies by its own push on them?

I've downloaded the article, but right now I have to attend to some other, alas unpleasant, stuff. :(

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:36 am

Witness wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:47 am
I have some doubts about the galaxies.

1. maintaining their "too fast" rotation by external pressure doesn't look stable to me.
2. if this hypothetical negative matter comes towards you when you push, wouldn't it get sucked into the galaxies by its own push on them?

I've downloaded the article, but right now I have to attend to some other, alas unpleasant, stuff. :(
On your point 2: gravity (normal positive gravity) pulls, not pushes, so the normal matter would tend to repel it, not attract it I think. The stronger the gravity, the more it gets pushed away.

On the other point, I have no idea. They say their models seem to work though.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:28 am

From the article, to get a grasp of the weird situation. Fg is the gravitational force, a the acceleration:

The middle picture is especially troubling, as two particles of the same mass but opposite signs will start accelerating together (momentum is conserved as the total mass is zero).