Google is evil thread

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
ed
Title: Modulator

Google is evil thread

Postby ed » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:02 pm

I think this isn't going away anytime soon.

Interesting treatment

https://www.theamericanconservative.com ... after-all/
- new minimalist ethos -

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Google is evil thread

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:14 pm

I was just going to start a thread for all things Google, but ed beat me to it.

More than 60 women 'consider suing Google in class action lawsuit, claiming they are paid less than men' and there is a 'hostile' culture after the tech giant fired a male engineer over his controversial gender memo
Daily Fail

Synopsis: The very fact that THAT GUY was there in the first place proves ...

Analysis: Now would be a good time to hit Google with an anti-trust suit. :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Skeeve

Postby Skeeve » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:58 pm

ed wrote:I think this isn't going away anytime soon.

Interesting treatment

https://www.theamericanconservative.com ... after-all/

The guy who got fired, speaks out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4WoeOkj2Ng
Then Skank Of America could start in...

ed

Postby ed » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:22 am

DEvelopments
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/11/tech ... icle-click

On Thursday, as Google prepared to hold a companywide meeting to discuss the memo, questions submitted by employees for the event on another internal system called Dory started to appear in the media. That reignited concerns that internal discussions would not stay private.

A number of employees sent emails to Mr. Pichai and told managers that they planned to skip the meeting because they were worried that they would face online reprisals for speaking out. A half-hour before the event was expected to begin, Mr. Pichai sent an email canceling the meeting.

That humorous behavior that causes the leaks of sensitive stuff seems to be spreading.
- new minimalist ethos -

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:30 pm

ed wrote:DEvelopments
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/11/tech ... icle-click

On Thursday, as Google prepared to hold a companywide meeting to discuss the memo, questions submitted by employees for the event on another internal system called Dory started to appear in the media. That reignited concerns that internal discussions would not stay private.

A number of employees sent emails to Mr. Pichai and told managers that they planned to skip the meeting because they were worried that they would face online reprisals for speaking out. A half-hour before the event was expected to begin, Mr. Pichai sent an email canceling the meeting.

That humorous behavior that causes the leaks of sensitive stuff seems to be spreading.

Everyone who would have attended that meeting knew that expressing the "wrong" opinion would get the fired and nationally shamed by the SJWs.

Google is creating a toxic culture that will bring them down, mark my words! As big as they are now there's still a million ways to blow it all.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:14 pm

alt right (if they are that) getting cute:

What is the distribution of Hindu castes among Google employees?
http://www.unz.com/isteve/what-is-the-d ... employees/

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:35 pm

"I am trying to make the world and Google a better place with teh Science!!"

Boy is a fucktard. Why is this in the news? (Outside of OUTRAGE prenatal testosterone selling copy?)
Nice things? Hell no!

Board Crumbmuffin.

Skeeve

Postby Skeeve » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:10 pm

YouTube CEO RIPS Google Memo Guy, Tells Daughter Women Aren’t Different From Men

he Left’s fit of insanity regarding a memo describing differences between men and women and their possible impact in STEM hiring at Google has not abated one iota since the beginning of the week. It certainly hasn’t been calmed by the firing of James Damore, the author of the memo, who was guilty of Wrongthink in even considering the scientific data on sexual differences.

The latest tech titan to launch into a full-scale assault on a straw-man version of Damore’s argument is YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki. She wrote a piece at Forbes about the horrors of Damore’s memo, and how they had obviously emotionally crippled her young daughter (for the record, I have three younger sisters, a wife who is a doctor, and a three-year-old daughter). Anyway, Wojcicki says that her daughter approached her after reading the news, asking one simple question: “Mom, is it true that there are biological reasons why there are fewer women in tech and leadership?”
But according to Wojcicki — the head of YouTube! — “That question, whether it’s been asked outright, whispered quietly, or simply lingered in the back of someone’s mind, has weighed heavily on me throughout my career in technology.”

Then, without citing any scientific evidence whatsoever, Wojcicki determines that even asking the question is Wrongthink:

Time and again, I’ve faced the slights that come with that question. I’ve had my abilities and commitment to my job questioned. I’ve been left out of key industry events and social gatherings. I’ve had meetings with external leaders where they primarily addressed the more junior male colleagues. I’ve had my comments frequently interrupted and my ideas ignored until they were rephrased by men. No matter how often this all happened, it still hurt.

Why? Why couldn’t she just answer her daughter based on the science? Because that wouldn’t allow her to morally posture rather than going through the data. Here’s Wojcicki doing that posturing:

For instance, what if we replaced the word “women” in the memo with another group? What if the memo said that biological differences amongst Black, Hispanic, or LGBTQ employees explained their underrepresentation in tech and leadership roles? Would some people still be discussing the merit of the memo’s arguments or would there be a universal call for swift action against its author?

Again, this straw-mans the question: the memo never said that biological differences “explained” female underrepresentation. It said that biological differences could contribute to underrepresentation.

And if the real question is whether a company should discriminate against some employees in order to achieve “diversity,” and whether company-wide discrimination rather than other confounding variables might be responsible for original disparities in hiring, it seems worthwhile to ask what factors play into that. Scientific advancement is based on willingness to ask questions to which the answers may seem offensive.

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:32 pm

YouTube?

Aren't they owned by Google?

Any poor oppressed females in this story who aren't related to billionaires?

Skeeve

Postby Skeeve » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:41 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:YouTube?

Aren't they owned by Google?

Any poor oppressed females in this story who aren't related to billionaires?

probably not...

ed

Postby ed » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:19 pm

The lesson is clear: To get along at Google, you must go along. Either embrace the company’s progressive principles in every significant detail, or shut up. It’s a corporate culture that may work out in the short run, but it threatens to stifle the spirit of daring and creativity that built Google into a great company.

I also wonder whether Google will impose its monoculture on the rest of us. Google’s parent company, Alphabet Inc., is arguably the world’s most powerful monopoly, a $90 billion-a-year behemoth that is a primary information source for billions of people. Its various services, including Google search and news and the YouTube video service, are governed by software algorithms created by the same people who can’t imagine working alongside someone like James Damore. How long before their personal opinions are reflected in the code they write?

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/20 ... story.html
- new minimalist ethos -

Rob Lister
Title: Recursive Spline Reticulator

Postby Rob Lister » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:24 pm

Well, you sure as fuck can't boycott them

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:51 pm

Where I work I am not paid to write opinion pieces to be distributed as memos.

Also, our company has a diverse group of colleagues. Were I to write such a memo and distribute it would correctly be seen as improper, and I would justifiably be sanctioned for rudely and crassly insulting my colleagues. We have rules about creating uncomfortable work situations. So, apparently, does Google.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

ed

Postby ed » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:56 pm

Google seems to have created the mechanisms for employees to comment and question. It only became a problem when the guy did not toe the pc line.

What he wrote referenced scientific studies, published in peer reviewed journals. He deserved more than a slap from an unqualified HR director.

As far as "uncomfortable work environments", I await the firings of the idiots who say that they are keeping blacklists of employees whose thoughts they disagree with.
- new minimalist ethos -

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:56 pm

Pyrrho wrote:Where I work I am not paid to write opinion pieces to be distributed as memos.

Also, our company has a diverse group of colleagues. Were I to write such a memo and distribute it would correctly be seen as improper, and I would justifiably be sanctioned for it. We have rules about creating uncomfortable work situations. So, apparently, does Google.

But, and I might be mistaken, google provided the platform on which he posted that memo specifically for that purpose.

I will agree he is a dumbass for not foreseeing the outcome. But Google should not have fired him for that. They should have stated that he was free to express that opinion even if they thought it was wrong-headed. And then fire him later for something completely different. They should have been more passive aggressive. :)

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:01 pm

Well, then, LOL at him for being stupid enough to participate. In corporate America, one learns to keep one's head down and "billable" if one wishes to remain employed. Which is one of the points he makes in his memo.

https://diversitymemo.com

I dunno. I go to work to earn a paycheck. The babble that surrounds me at the office is a distraction.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:15 pm

agreed

Skeeve

Postby Skeeve » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:12 pm

It seems that his memo was rattling around inside of google for a while (up to a week?),
until someone leaked it to Gizmodo. It was after that when it hit the fan...

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:22 pm

Another rule where I work: "Email and messaging systems are the property of the company and are intended for business purposes only and are monitored for misuse. There should be no expectation of privacy."

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:00 pm

There should also be no expectation that an invitation to comment on management is ever anything but hypocritical window dressing.

That's what unions are for.

Return to “Politics & Social Issues”