Chickens coming home to roost

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
ed
Title: Modulator

Chickens coming home to roost

Postby ed » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:15 pm

There have been ongoing stories about Cali and the amount they are spending to "educate" those poor little wetbacks. Seems the well might be running dry (see the clever allusion there?). Some parents are nit very amused at the education being provided to their little snowflakes in the making and did what any red blooded american would do: they are suing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/06/us/c ... icle-click

Last year, the schoolwide proficiency rate in reading at La Salle Elementary was 4 percent, and as many as 171 students out of the 179 tested were not proficient by state standards, the lawsuit says. One was an 11-year-old boy who tested at an early third-grade reading level when he was finishing fifth grade.

The schoolwide reading-proficiency rate was 6 percent at Van Buren, which is in the Stockton Unified School District, the third-lowest performing large district in the nation. One student there, who is now 14, read at a second-grade level when he was in seventh grade, the lawsuit says.

A liberal blind spot is the lack of recognition that someone, some where and some how has to pay for it.
- new minimalist ethos -

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Chickens coming home to roost

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:42 pm

Do you suppose "being here illegally" is what correlates to "having a hard time educating them"?

Issues of who pays for what aside, are you quite certain it is the same "them"?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

ed

Postby ed » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:06 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Do you suppose "being here illegally" is what correlates to "having a hard time educating them"?

Issues of who pays for what aside, are you quite certain it is the same "them"?

No, not at all you manipulative little commie fucker.

My point (and one that I stole from other, greater, minds) is that their ""sanctuary" affectation has a price, particularly when they promise to educate EVERYBODY.

That is the roosting chicken.
- new minimalist ethos -

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:32 pm

The ruling classes of California like the results.

Your disapproval of their policy has some merit in my opinion, but it certainly isn't "chickens coming home to roost".

One man's bug is another man's feecher. :p

ed

Postby ed » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:11 pm

True but couple the the diminution of the tax base with rising commie costs and you have a pleasant witches brew to ruminate on .

all those wetbacks, the ones that keep our lettuce prices low, bless their hearts, are not going to take kindly to cuts in their cerveza allowance. Then, my fat, commie friend of dubious sexual appetites, the frijoles will hit the fan.

Not sure the gated community that is cali will survive it.

Bwahahahahaha.
- new minimalist ethos -

RCC: Act II
Title: the not-so-gritty reboot

Postby RCC: Act II » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:45 pm

A state has a few low-performing schools?

State funding priorities may be off. The difference between underfunded crappy schools in California and underfunded crappy schools in other places seems to be that someone in California cares enough to sue.

Let me know when you find a state with such well funded public schools that there isn't a really crappy one somewhere in the state.
Danny Biasone was a goddamn genius

ed

Postby ed » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:55 pm

Not a few. They are packing the system with problem learners. Lets see how it plays out but The Cali school system is poor and necessarily underfunded. We will see exactly what the sanctuary idea is worth to the folks there.
- new minimalist ethos -

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:26 pm

The parents who are suing are illegal immigrants?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:30 pm

They'll become poor adults dependent on government and thus Democrat voters. The system is working as designed.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:00 pm

ed wrote:Not a few. They are packing the system with problem learners. Lets see how it plays out but The Cali school system is poor and necessarily underfunded. We will see exactly what the sanctuary idea is worth to the folks there.

None of that is factual.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:09 pm

". . . poor little wetbacks."

Curious.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:15 pm

I reread the article and this jumped out at me:

"The suit, announced in a statement, is the first in the United States to seek recognition of the constitutional right to literacy, the lawyers said. It alleges that the state failed to intervene when students achieved low proficiency rates in reading and fell behind at the three schools, which are among the lowest performing in the state."

How can there be a right to literacy when there's no official language?

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:48 pm

Here's what I found:

http://www.crf-usa.org/bill-of-rights-i ... -amendment

Basically the U.S. Constitution doesn't guarantee the right to an education, but in a roundabout way it sort of does (14th amendment). So far I haven't seen that it guarantees a right to literacy. What about people with learning disabilities? People whose parents don't speak English?
It used to be when a kid didn't perform well at school, you blame the kid or his parents. Now they want to turn that around and blame the school. Do these kids come to school every day? Do they pay attention in class? Do they do the assigned homework? Do they follow the rules? How much of it is on the school and how much of it is on the parents.

If the kids were East Asians with East Asian "Tiger" parents, do you think they would have any trouble being literate?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:54 pm

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:13 am

Anaxagoras wrote:Here's what I found:

http://www.crf-usa.org/bill-of-rights-i ... -amendment

Basically the U.S. Constitution doesn't guarantee the right to an education, but in a roundabout way it sort of does (14th amendment). So far I haven't seen that it guarantees a right to literacy. What about people with learning disabilities? People whose parents don't speak English?
It used to be when a kid didn't perform well at school, you blame the kid or his parents. Now they want to turn that around and blame the school. Do these kids come to school every day? Do they pay attention in class? Do they do the assigned homework? Do they follow the rules? How much of it is on the school and how much of it is on the parents.

If the kids were East Asians with East Asian "Tiger" parents, do you think they would have any trouble being literate?

I can tell you from experience that ESL programs both work and parent participation is necessary.

Of course my experience is from 1990's and I do not know if ESL programs today are better, worse, or same.

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:21 am

Why pick on California?

Chicago schools suck too. :)

ed

Postby ed » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:37 am

There's no hope for Chicago.
- new minimalist ethos -

ed

Postby ed » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:58 am

Grammatron wrote:
ed wrote:Not a few. They are packing the system with problem learners. Lets see how it plays out but The Cali school system is poor and necessarily underfunded. We will see exactly what the sanctuary idea is worth to the folks there.

None of that is factual.

First measurement. Here is what Cali is dfoing re. accountability.
On March 15, 2017, the State Board of Education (SBE) and the California Department of Education (CDE) launched a new accountability system to replace the Academic Performance Index (API) to better measure our State's educational goals. California's new accountability system is available at the California School Dashboard Web Page.

During the development process of the California School Dashboard (Dashboard External link opens in new window or tab.), the SBE approved to suspend the calculation of the API for local educational agencies (LEAs) and schools. As a result, the last API report was produced in 2013.

The Dashboard evaluates school performance based on multiple measures compared to the API that relied exclusively on standardized tests. In addition, new assessments were developed to measure progress on the common core standards and replaced the prior standardized tests. Therefore, the results of these two systems cannot be compared. The information found on this Web page is outdated and should only be used for historical purposes.

https://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/ac/ap/
n.b. when governments hide data there is generally something going on that they don't want you to know. ya think?

And guess what?
California's new education ratings tool paints a far rosier picture than in the past

http://beta.latimes.com/local/education ... story.html

What is the impact? These kids certainly speak the queens english, right?
Public school districts across the United States are suffering under a massive unfunded mandate imposed by the federal government: the requirement to educate millions of illegal aliens, the school age children of illegal aliens, refugees and legal immigrant students. FAIR estimates that it currently costs public schools $59.8 billion to serve this burgeoning population. The struggle to fund programs for students with Limited English Proficiency (LEP), sometimes called English Language Learners (ELL), represents a major drain on school budgets. Yet due to political correctness, it is taboo to raise the issue even though scarce resources are redirected away from American citizens to support programs like English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) and English as a Second Language (ESL).

https://fairus.org/issue/publications-r ... -education

Budgets should be there though, right?
This year in Chicago, for example, the school system is preparing for “historic” budget cuts exceeding 20 percent that will require laying off teachers, trimming resources and increasing class sizes. In 2016, the average property tax bill in the city mushroomed by 13 percent over the previous year, but some residents of affluent neighborhoods saw their taxes increase as much as 90 percent. “The unfortunate truth is that the pain is not over,” said a local attorney who specializes in real estate taxation. “It is just the beginning.” Chicago and many other municipalities in Illinois tout their status as sanctuary districts, yet by 2018 the state will have to almost triple its current LEP outlay and spend $1.9 billion every year to educate 186,646 English language students.3

Not everyone wants to work to pay property taxes whose benefit is not clear.

This is a bad situation and is not going to get better anytime soon.
- new minimalist ethos -

ed

Postby ed » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:07 am

Doctor X wrote:". . . poor little wetbacks."

Curious.

--J.D.

It evinces the sensitivity that I am known for.
- new minimalist ethos -

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:19 am

There's some sort of sensible point hidden within ed's rant. I just feel it.

But I can't quite dig it out because ed is doing that thing again. :p

Return to “Politics & Social Issues”