The Gloom and Doom Generation (Nyar is right AGAIN)

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

The Gloom and Doom Generation (Nyar is right AGAIN)

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Thu May 17, 2018 1:36 pm

The Gloom and Doom Generation
Joe Bob Briggs

When I was a young man, and the editor, or the producer, or the executive, would tell me that he was about to censor me, the reason was always, “Your material offends the older people.”

Now that I’m one of the older people, when the editor, or the producer, or the executive, tells me he’s about to censor me, the reason is always, “Your material offends the younger people.”

I stopped reading the Comments sections entirely, not because I couldn’t take the heat but because I often couldn’t even understand the context of the argument.

Numero Uno: Nothing is considered funny for the sake of being funny.

If you make a joke about Oprah, you must hate Oprah.

If you quote Trump, you must love Trump.

If you lampoon something idiotic on the left, you must live on the right.

Numero Two-o: I’ve never seen a generation so convinced that there should be punishment for speech. And not just public scolding. Loss of job. Loss of livelihood.

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

gnome

Re: The Gloom and Doom Generation (Nyar is right AGAIN)

Postby gnome » Thu May 17, 2018 1:51 pm

On that last point, I don't think there is an easy line to be drawn between right and wrong.

If you do not agree with the political statements or behavior of someone, it is a perfectly reasonable response to refuse to patronize that person. And to inform their sponsors that you will not be patronizing them. That's just plain ol' boycotting ("voting with your wallet").

Freedom of speech does not mean that others must not react negatively to that speech.

Even so, that is a use of power--it does affect people's jobs, public image, livelihood. When abused or used frivolously that power is quite harmful. What do we do? Complaining about the millennials intolerance doesn't seem like a path to anything different.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: The Gloom and Doom Generation (Nyar is right AGAIN)

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Thu May 17, 2018 2:20 pm

There is no path to anything different, and the problem isn't "millennials".

We have permitted an entire generation to be indoctrinated by totalitarians.

We are headed for a bloodbath when the money runs out or at the next presidential election, whichever comes first. Or earlier if enough people start shooting over whatever.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Return to “Politics & Social Issues”