Cord Cutting, Cord Running

The war between wetware and hardware.
ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Re: Cord Cutting, Cord Running

Post by ed » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:57 pm

I still have direct tv + netflix and amazon thru my desktop pc.

Don't see a way of ditching the PC. But I did get this thingie for some other TVs

Lets you watch virtually any video file no muss no fuss.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:17 pm

So does that mean you can watch YouTube videos on your big screen TV?

Or what?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:29 pm

on a PC, go to ninite.com, select "K-Lite Codecs", download, execute.

It installs media player classic and all the right codecs already setup.

To update it, you just re-run the ninite installer and it will check your current version and update it.

I advise using ninite for any other apps you see on it as well that you normally use to update them all at once.

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:31 pm

My TCL Roku TVs from Costco do 4K, HDR, Amazon video, Netflix, Youtube. And they have the Emby app which lets you play content off your local Emby media server. It's a bit better than using the stock DLNA client app with a generic DLNA server. I still have a ChromeCastHD dongle though for casting from my devices. It's really convenient.

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:51 pm

corplinx wrote:on a PC, go to ninite.com, select "K-Lite Codecs", download, execute.

To update it, you just re-run the ninite installer and it will check your current version and update it.

I advise using ninite for any other apps you see on it as well that you normally use to update them all at once.
No kidding, Media Player Classic? Does it do .mkvs, DVDs, and .srt subtitles?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:53 pm

gnome wrote:
corplinx wrote:on a PC, go to ninite.com, select "K-Lite Codecs", download, execute.

No kidding, Media Player Classic? Does it do .mkvs, DVDs, and .srt subtitles?
And how.

I prefer it over VLC in some cases.

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:11 pm

i prefer it over VLC in every case usually. i keep VLC as a backup only for problem files. ninite can install/update both though so it isn't a binary decision.

gnome

Post by gnome » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:02 am

Just coming back to say I made the switch, two things I like already:

- If I start typing in a neighboring window and accidentally still have the movie file in focus, it doesn't start fucking up the player.

- It's able to choose English subtitles by default.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Wilsondrake

Post by Wilsondrake » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:10 am

What on earth are you people talking about ? Who uses VLC for streaming in 2018 ?!! :o :o

There plenty of streaming applications which you can easily use, customize, delete, reinstall, change and just bring em about your change.
You have Kodi, Plex, Stremio, Terrarrium, Miro and many many more. BUT WHY VLC ??!!

Try installing Kodi for yourself. You will be able to make it upto your own taste using one of the best kodi skins. And even installing some of the best kodi addons or just simply put on one of the best kodi build which have preinstalled addons. This player requires you to be a bit tech savy. But I am using the following for installation guides and they mostly are pretty easy.

If you are not happy with Kodi (which will not happen :twisted: ) you can try usingPopcornTime. Just install this app and you will be able to get all the movies, TV shows and much more. Its high time people move on with rubbish VLC or windows media player shit. :De_Bunk:

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:31 pm

A N00B?

A real-o true-lo N00B? :o

Welcome aboard. :)

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:24 am

Wilsondrake wrote:What on earth are you people talking about ? Who uses VLC for streaming in 2018 ?!! :o :o

There plenty of streaming applications which you can easily use, customize, delete, reinstall, change and just bring em about your change.
You have Kodi, Plex, Stremio, Terrarrium, Miro and many many more. BUT WHY VLC ??!!

Try installing Kodi for yourself. You will be able to make it upto your own taste using one of the best kodi skins. And even installing some of the best kodi addons or just simply put on one of the best kodi build which have preinstalled addons. This player requires you to be a bit tech savy. But I am using the following for installation guides and they mostly are pretty easy.

If you are not happy with Kodi (which will not happen :twisted: ) you can try usingPopcornTime. Just install this app and you will be able to get all the movies, TV shows and much more. Its high time people move on with rubbish VLC or windows media player shit. :De_Bunk:
We are mostly old farts here. We can't keep up with every new app that the teenyboppers are using this week. If something works well I tend to keep using it until I have a reason not to.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

ed

Post by ed » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:09 am

Right. Anax is still putting hot compresses on his boils cuz thats what his mammy taught him.

ed

Post by ed » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:19 am

Wilsondrake wrote:What on earth are you people talking about ? Who uses VLC for streaming in 2018 ?!! :o :o

WTF is this about? A link to a site that "warns" us about the dangers of torrents? Listen here my boy, we were sharing files when they were still in manila folders. I recall slipping Lister some 1's and naughts that were the first frame of Exodus ... here are the originals
Took Lister a month just to enter 'em. All the while the federales were nosing around, asking questions and such. So don't you try to "protect" us or you'll force me to get out of the wheelchair and give you a swift kick to the pills.

Meanwhile here is the link to the popcorn thing
https://artlogic-res.cloudinary.com/w_2 ... eb6e5j.jpg

Thats the way it should be done.

Now, get off my lawn :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

ed

Post by ed » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:49 am

Popcorn my enormous black ass.

A fucking Russki backdoor into our sacred computing space. :freedom:

A way for them to get you to buy into a VPN.

Fuckers.

And if you can avoid their horrid imprecations you get this
ScreenShot114.jpg
Ooooohhhhh ..."can't download" what a shocker. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

We have ways of dealing with Russian hackers on this site, boy-o. :x :x
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:44 am

An odd thought: Napster now compares to Napster-that-was like Guns & Roses compares to when they were the real band.
--Soldier, TF2

ed

Post by ed » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:32 am

ed

Post by ed » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:31 am

OK ... short strokes time

I am redoing my entertainment stuff.

I have a 60" samsung TV, Direct TV, a computer for streaming Amazon/netflix/downloaded content & playing games.

Dumped the Components, got a sound bar (love it)

Want to get rid of wires.

Would a smart TV allow me to stream from Amazon and Netflix?
Is the Direct TV "wireless" service really wireless?
Can I wirelessly view content from my PC?

If Cool Hand were here, he'd come over and just fix it for me. Probably foot the bill too. I miss him.

I am thinking of a 75" samsung 4k thing.

I need such resolution to fully enjoy the impeachment proceeding which will doubtless be starting soon.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:47 am

edwina wrote: Would a smart TV allow me to stream from Amazon and Netflix?
[Most] Any tv you buy today comes with all that shit built in. You gotta look for one that doesn't. But I recommend against using that feature. I disconnected my tv from the internet because it kept updating (at least weekly, sometimes daily). Instead use Roku. Cleaner, more apps, more betterest.
edwina wrote: Is the Direct TV "wireless" service really wireless?
Nope. It's just like cable.
edwina wrote: Can I wirelessly view content from my PC?
Sure.

Here's my setup from about two years ago
Spoiler:
All that smart-tv stuff is now routed through the roku.
Last edited by Rob Lister on Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

ed

Post by ed » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:54 am

You are such a tease, you brute.

How, when, where?????

Had this guy that worked for me back in the day. Really really compulsive. Would master an area before buying anything "because". Whe I wanted a TV or something I'd just go up to him and say "what should I buy?". Didn't have to know why, I just wanted to be happy. And remain lazy.

So give dammit. How to strean the tv content because then fuck ruku, can do it all thru the tV. Right?

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:57 am

Yes, you can do it all through the tv. Doesn't matter the brand. Some brands even use roku built in.

turn on tv. Select Smart choice on remote. It will show you all the built in apps. Select netflix. It will load its [no doubt klunky] version of the netflix app. enter password or type in key for first run. done.

Same for amazon, hulu, hbo, showtime, etc.

The interface will suck. But you won't know.