The Community's Art Gallery

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Witness

Re: The Community's Art Gallery

Postby Witness » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:16 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Keep 'em coming, AC. :coolspecs:

Seconded (even so they're a bit frightening – but hey, your sisses…)! :)

Witness

Postby Witness » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:07 am

Never heard of this (now dead) guy:
The Guardian (2001) wrote: 'I am the king of painters'
Andrew Vicari paints scenes of the Gulf war, motorcycle cops, horses and busty women. If you're not familiar with his work, that's because most of it ends up in Saudi Arabia, where they pay millions for it. Stuart Jeffries meets the man from a Welsh steel town who became Britain's richest artist
[…]
Unlike these rivals in wealth, though, Vicari is practically unknown in his homeland. No matter for us insular Britons that in China they hold loving retrospectives of his work. Or that there are three museums devoted to his oeuvre in Saudi Arabia. Or that Iranian mullahs were so furious about his Gulf war paintings that they wanted to pay Vicari £5m to destroy them. Or that Vicari is the official painter for Interpol and the CRS, France's much-hated elite police force. Or that he numbers former subjects as varied as Vladimir Putin and Jonathan Aitken as close friends. No matter at all. In Britain, if you get out the cuttings file on this French-based Welshman the vast majority of stories begin "Britain's least-known but highest-paid painter Andrew Vicari..." He doesn't get a mention in Who's Who.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2001/nov/16/arts.highereducation

OK, back to ignore.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:47 am

Not aggressively ugly enough for Real ArtTM. :cowbell:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Witness

Postby Witness » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:09 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Not aggressively ugly enough for Real ArtTM. :cowbell:

Meanie! It's ugly enough, thank you very much, but not The Right Kind© of ugly. 8)

asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Postby asthmatic camel » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:17 am

I painted this pic of poor Chani's pretty daughter to try and cheer her up a bit.

Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:23 am

It has gotten really dusty in this room. . . .

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Witness

Postby Witness » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:27 am

Sculpture by Issac Cordal: Politicians discussing global warming

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:00 am

pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Witness

Postby Witness » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:34 am

↑ The dark parts somehow reminded me of Chris Marker's La jetée. But there is always the problem of flickering when converting a video to anime (be it painting or cartoon) with software – can only be done in a Japanese nun sweatshop. :mrgreen:

A contemporary sculpture for Nyarl:

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:40 pm

France or Belgium?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:05 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Witness

Postby Witness » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:37 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:France or Belgium?
France.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20M3tj802HU

More: http://www.filthyluker.org/

Witness

Postby Witness » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:47 am

I have to retract my criticism ( :oops: ):
Redshark wrote:Loving Vincent: how to make a movie using 65,000 oil paintings

Written and directed by Dorota Kobiela and Hugh Welchman, and produced by Oscar-winning Polish production company BreakThru Films, Loving Vincent is a biopic about the artist Vincent Van Gogh’s final days. Set in 1890, the story is told entirely through his characters and landscapes, using 120 of Van Gogh’s famous works as key frames or points of entry into the story, the reimagined subjects of the paintings relating the Dutch Master's passionate life and mysterious death.

There’s no doubt from the teaser trailer that Loving Vincent will be visually stunning. I’m looking forward to seeing the finished piece, but know that the geek in me (and you) can’t help but sneak a look under the hood. In the interest of serving our dear readers, we investigated how the team at BreakThru Films developed the production techniques to bring this animation/live action hybrid to the screen.

The actors are filmed against a green screen, the photographed action is then turned into black outlines that are projected onto the canvas inside the purpose-built Painting Animation Workstation. Here the artists use Van Gogh paintings as a reference to fill out the rest of the frame. The finished frames are then photographed and used to create a 12fps high-resolution sequence ready for the stringent QC process, with the final sequences going through editorial/grade and finishing. It’s cell-frame animation on steroids; I just hope the finished film doesn’t have the look of a drag-and-drop Photoshop filter.

Remarkably, it took 125 artists fluent in Van Gogh’s style and 1300 litres of oil paint to complete the 65,000 hand painted frames. The artists were recruited from around the globe. British Painter Sarah Wimperis was the only UK-artist chosen to relocate to Gdańsk and animate the well-known impasto swirls and twists into a vortex of moving frames.

https://www.redsharknews.com/production/item/4483-loving-vincent-how-to-make-a-movie-using-65,000-oil-paintings

So made in a Polish sweatshop… :mrgreen:

The only other example I know of is the El Mercenario series (~ a dozen comic books) by Vicente Segrelles, all painted in oil. Kind of medieval fantasy:

asthmatic camel

Postby asthmatic camel » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:40 pm

Tim the Combat Wombat.

Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Witness

Postby Witness » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:09 pm

↑ Who's that dude?

asthmatic camel

Postby asthmatic camel » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:48 am

Tim Walker. He was one of the moderators at the JREF for a while and a great friend. Sadly he died from cancer a year or so ago.

shemp
Title: gnat

Postby shemp » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:23 am

AC, you should post it over there. There's still a lot of people there who knew Tim, and I'm sure they'd love to see this.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

asthmatic camel

Postby asthmatic camel » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:16 am

I'm no longer a member, shemp but feel free to post it if you wish.

shemp
Title: gnat

Postby shemp » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:43 pm

asthmatic camel wrote:I'm no longer a member, shemp but feel free to post it if you wish.

I posted it over there: http://www.internationalskeptics.com/fo ... tcount=142

Several people thought it was awesome. Mojo asked me to say Hi to you for him.

And you're still listed as a member there.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

asthmatic camel

Postby asthmatic camel » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:32 pm

Thanks, shemp! I haven't visited since I had a massive row with the "GREAT DANE", C.F. Larsen many years ago.

I dropped by to say hello. :)

Return to “Humanities (History, Art, Literature, Music & Film)”