The new Disney Star Wars doesn't suck ... THE FANS SUCK!!!!1!!!

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

The new Disney Star Wars doesn't suck ... THE FANS SUCK!!!!1!!!

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:53 pm

Toxic Fandom Is Killing 'Star Wars'
Marc Bernardin (no less) The Hollywood Reporter

:lmao:

Analysis:
1) Lucas is no longer interested in running the Star Wars business, so he cashes out and moves on.

2) Disney milks it to death. Of course the new series sucks. It would be bad for business to put a lot into it.

3) Old Star Wars fans were never the target market for this shit. Lucas already milked it to death for them.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Grammatron

Re: The new Disney Star Wars doesn't suck ... THE FANS SUCK!!!!1!!!

Postby Grammatron » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:13 pm

The first part of 3 is correct.

The movies are shitty but even still they are meant for a different audience.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:55 pm

The Japanese Originals are still better.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:44 am

Yeah. The only good one was the first one based on Three Bad Men in a Hidden Fortress with a few lines stolen from Yojimbo.

Not the good ones, though. Used a bad translation.

In the rain.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:53 am

The first two were good. The third one, OK if you were a kid but really just the plot of the first one reused. "We'll have another Death Star, but this time it's BIGGER!!!" All of the rest were just a way to generate more money from the franchise.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:12 am

"Bigger . . . and NOT FINISHED! So it looks COOL!"

I was utterly bored by the second film. Idiots try to declare it as "The Bestest!" which I find unfathomable. It is certainly one of the most unscientific . . . until the Sarlac . . . but nothing really happens for most of it. Lucas threw in Billy Dee Williams, because someone reminded him that no one but White People existed in his universe.

No surprise Guinness hated it and Fischer and Ford spent most of it either drunk or hung-over.

The third I wanted to leave. Utter crap. I lost Faith in Humanity with that. Because of those movies, we have Adam Sandler, Green Day, the Clintons, AIDS, and, probably, the Hip Hop. Trump existed before, so we have to blame TXNO ONE GIVES A FUCK YOU HACK LUCAS!

Then we had:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4TX6x2WLgk

--J. "Hawk, the Slayer?" D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:55 pm

Well, to be fair, none of them were ever even close to being "scientific". 12 parsecs? Light sabers? Spaceships dodging lasers that move much slower than light speed? Space opera is a better term for it than science fiction.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:01 pm

The second film descended to Creatard-Level ignorance.

Hands move faster than light, apparently.

--J.D.

gnome

Postby gnome » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:13 pm

That in particular is a thin complaint.

It's pretty well established that Force users employ a form of precognition that guides their movements before the shot is even fired. Someone might not like that fantastical element, but it doesn't rely on hands being faster than light.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:06 pm

You mean "retrofitted" when the obvious was made.

Which means none of them should ever have died.

You lose.

Walk home in shame.

--J.D.

gnome

Postby gnome » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:36 pm

Given the in-context cues, such as "guides our actions" it's not too crazy a retrofit--for me it's all but spelled out when Luke is doing drills with the flying drone--he's literally not using his eyes, so it's not a reaction to a sensory cue. I wouldn't expect you to object to a rare bit of elegant subtlety, that the movies are not especially known for.

And as for not being able to die--there are limitations to such a power, limitations that came up often visually. It requires concentration, and that concentration can falter or be broken (like by having heavy objects hurled at you as in Empire.) Or when a similar power opposes yours. Or you can be overwhelmed by incoming fire--such as witnessed in Order 66.

All in all it hearkens back to one of the better lines in The Phantom Menace when Anakin said nobody could kill a Jedi--"I wish that were true."
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:52 pm

There is some truth to the article though. Star Wars fandom has become a bigger mess than just about any other group of fans I can think of. Star Trek fans bitch and moan incessantly about the new series, but they don't make coordinated harassment campaigns to drive Sonequa Martin-Green off of social media. Doctor Who fans might complain bitterly about the new Doctor (And they find reasons to do it with every new Doctor. This time its because she is a woman, last time it was because he was old, the time before that it was because he wasn't David Tennant, etc), but they don't (as a general rule, there are always exceptions) threaten to kill Steven Moffat's wife and kids for "ruining [their] childhoods"

And it isn't that the studios are looking for someone to blame for their bad movies. In the end, the studios are all about the dolla dolla bills y'all and from that standpoint, the movies are doing just fine. Even the newest one is only a box office disappointment in comparison to the other films of the franchise. Taken on its own, it's about an average summer release, box office-wise.

Don't know why Star Wars fans are that way, but they do seem to have gotten to a point where they don't just dislike the new stuff, like every other group of fans, they seem to take it very, VERY personally.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:53 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:Well, to be fair, none of them were ever even close to being "scientific". 12 parsecs? Light sabers? Spaceships dodging lasers that move much slower than light speed? Space opera is a better term for it than science fiction.

No.

Space Opera is its own sub-genre and tends to be of the "Harder" sci-fi variety. Think things like The Expanse.

Star Wars is, pretty clearly to me, "Science Fantasy". That is to say, fantasy with the trappings of sci-fi.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:48 pm

gnome wrote:Given the in-context cues, such as "guides our actions" it's not too crazy a retrofit--for me it's all but spelled out when Luke is doing drills with the flying drone--he's literally not using his eyes, so it's not a reaction to a sensory cue.

I preferred The Japanese Original Version of the scene.

I wouldn't expect you to object to a rare bit of elegant subtlety, that the movies are not especially known for.

It was as elegant and subtle as Rosanne Barr entering a china shop with a backhoe.

And as for not being able to die--there are limitations to such a power, limitations that came up often visually.

So you can move faster than precog faster than light such to deflect multiple blasts of light . . . but not one light moving at human speed?

Awesome.

I have heard Otaku give better justifications for A Certain Scientific Railgun.

All in all it hearkens back to one of the better lines in The Phantom Menace when Anakin said nobody could kill a Jedi--"I wish that were true."

Given that was the "best" line. . . .

I win.

--J.D.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:50 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:Star Wars is, pretty clearly to me, "Science Fantasy". That is to say, fantasy with the trappings of sci-fi.

It was more "I Didn't Get to Do Lord of the Rings So Let Me Slap Star Trek on a Few Kurosawa Films and, You Know, Darth Vader is an Insect."

In the rain.

--J.D.

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:29 am

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:48 am

Their review of The Greatest Story Ever ToldPrometheus remains one of the funniest videos I have seen.

--J. "Why Beards?" D.

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:28 am

Sometimes I think their existential dreads of having to watch all these horrible movies for a living really comes through. Or they are good at acting this shtick. Either way they do good work.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:02 am

I heard an interview with one of them regarding Jurassic World Solar System Universe where, "they have to go save them from the island because a volcano will destroy them. You made them in a fucking lab! COOK UP SOME MORE IDIOTS!"

He was, of course, funnier.

--J.D.

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:12 am

Doctor X wrote: COOK UP SOME MORE IDIOTS!"

Why would they want to cook up more idiots? The world is full of them already

Return to “Humanities (History, Art, Literature, Music & Film)”