What have you been watching lately

Drama queens must check their tiaras at the door.
Grammatron

Re: What have you been watching lately

Post by Grammatron » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:11 am

Yeah I caught that too, it was well used.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:14 am

House of Cards, American Rip-Off Edition, Season 6

Well, Hollywood virtue signaled and excised Kevin Spacey. How they did it I cannot make out but from the look of things they kept scenes he wasn't in then wrote a script to somehow tie things together. The results are what you'd expect.

I have no idea whats going on. I know that is true for me generally but this is even more so.

Spoiler:

Who the fuck are these rich fuckers that appeared out of nowhere? And the President is scared of them? Really?

And how is it that the President waltzes around Washington without so much as a fair thee well? And what the goldarn blazes is she doing with herself that she meets with no one and does nothing? It's like the President has zero responsibilities aside from recouping some of the investment for the backers of the show.

And stop talking to the camera, Clare :x

People are getting knocked off. I have no idea why or who is doing it.

The VP just interrupted her "run" thru the midnight DC streets to show her the body of a guy she killed. In the back of a presidential SUV no less.

What I woulda done? Called the Secret Service (who were all around) and scream "he killed my lover, arrest this fucker and fling him in durance vile, and be right quick about it!!!!! :x :x :x :x :x :x

Oh yeah, she (Claire) gives orders and the men around her pepper her with questions. She has to whine at them to get things done. Bullshit. She was married to Frank for 30 years and has killed and been complicit in murder and she is really going to explain herself to a bunch of sniveling poseurs? Bullshit I say again, Bullshit!!! :x :x

How far the mighty have fallen. Not only did Kevin screw a minor, he screwed the entire audience of this travesty. :x

ETA: This review was based on watching the first three episodes. I will say that this evening, having watched thru episode 6, there is a turnaround in episode 5. Robin Wright is a good actress and she basically carries it from that point forward. Episodes 7 & 8 tomorrow. The final sentence will be passed then. I stand by my revulsion at the first three-four episodes.

ETA: Episodes 6 & 7 were pretty good. The finale (8) was a turgid mass of God in a Machine, dead end plot points, unbelievable denouements, talking to the camera and stupidity.

This series jumped the shark back in season 4. They ripped the brits off in everything but the art of leaving gracefully.
Last edited by ed on Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:34 pm

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs on Netflix.

Good watch. It's 5 short stories set in the West. Some are comedies, some are tragedies, some just weird stories. There's even a musical comedy.

By the Coen brothers. I like the conceit that ties them all together: It's a book of short stories, and you see them actually turning the pages of the book between stories.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:43 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:34 pm
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs on Netflix.

Good watch. It's 5 short stories set in the West. Some are comedies, some are tragedies, some just weird stories. There's even a musical comedy.

By the Coen brothers. I like the conceit that ties them all together: It's a book of short stories, and you see them actually turning the pages of the book between stories.
I was just about to post that I was about to binge on that.

While I'm binging, binge on this

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5761496/

Get Shorty.

A new take on the old movie. I give it 4.5 stars

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:28 pm

Original song from the movie.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Post by Bruce » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:48 pm

I just read that Stranger Things Season 3 has been delayed to next summer.

:hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit:

I'm 43. I might not live that long. :oldman:
Such potential!

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:09 pm

ed wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:14 am
House of Cards, American Rip-Off Edition, Season 6

Well, Hollywood virtue signaled and excised Kevin Spacey. How they did it I cannot make out but from the look of things they kept scenes he wasn't in then wrote a script to somehow tie things together. The results are what you'd expect.

I have no idea whats going on. I know that is true for me generally but this is even more so.

Spoiler:

Who the fuck are these rich fuckers that appeared out of nowhere? And the President is scared of them? Really?

And how is it that the President waltzes around Washington without so much as a fair thee well? And what the goldarn blazes is she doing with herself that she meets with no one and does nothing? It's like the President has zero responsibilities aside from recouping some of the investment for the backers of the show.

And stop talking to the camera, Clare :x

People are getting knocked off. I have no idea why or who is doing it.

The VP just interrupted her "run" thru the midnight DC streets to show her the body of a guy she killed. In the back of a presidential SUV no less.

What I woulda done? Called the Secret Service (who were all around) and scream "he killed my lover, arrest this fucker and fling him in durance vile, and be right quick about it!!!!! :x :x :x :x :x :x

Oh yeah, she (Claire) gives orders and the men around her pepper her with questions. She has to whine at them to get things done. Bullshit. She was married to Frank for 30 years and has killed and been complicit in murder and she is really going to explain herself to a bunch of sniveling poseurs? Bullshit I say again, Bullshit!!! :x :x

How far the mighty have fallen. Not only did Kevin screw a minor, he screwed the entire audience of this travesty. :x

ETA: This review was based on watching the first three episodes. I will say that this evening, having watched thru episode 6, there is a turnaround in episode 5. Robin Wright is a good actress and she basically carries it from that point forward. Episodes 7 & 8 tomorrow. The final sentence will be passed then. I stand by my revulsion at the first three-four episodes.

ETA: Episodes 6 & 7 were pretty good. The finale (8) was a turgid mass of God in a Machine, dead end plot points, unbelievable denouements, talking to the camera and stupidity.

This series jumped the shark back in season 4. They ripped the brits off in everything but the art of leaving gracefully.
Finished the series. :x
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!