Penn State Paterno Provides Promotion for Pedophiles. . . .

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Penn State Paterno Provides Promotion for Pedophiles. .

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:46 pm

You May Award The Try wrote:
Abdul Alhazred wrote:Horrible thing that allows a bunch of mostly low income students to get an education.

Maybe it worked that way once?

You really haven't been paying attention lately.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement

You May Award The Try

Postby You May Award The Try » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:43 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
You May Award The Try wrote:
Abdul Alhazred wrote:Horrible thing that allows a bunch of mostly low income students to get an education.

Maybe it worked that way once?

You really haven't been paying attention lately.

If anything, on the whole it has gotten better. Sensationalism creates an illusion that obscures reality. The scandals of today are the standard procedures of years past. That is progress.

The violence and corruption surrounding, say, a Harvard/Yale game in the 1900s is way worse than what we see today. Nothing like the 1980s Oklahoma program exists. There is a whole legend around George Gipp (the gipper of Notre Dame and Ronald Reagan fame) when Gipp's career would today be beyond the pale as to the rules and practices to the point it would have resulted in massive sanctions against Notre Dame.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: Penn State Paterno Provides Promotion for Pedophiles. . . .

Postby Doctor X » Sat May 07, 2016 3:51 am

Oh what a surprise, "Joe Pa" knew about the abuse and helped cover it up for years:

Sandusky victim: Joe Paterno told me to drop abuse accusation

After four years of feuding over the legacy of Joe Paterno, with a few vague details about what he may have known about allegations of sexual abuse by one of his coaches, it is becoming clear there may be much more.

There are now two allegations by men who say they were sexually abused by Jerry Sandusky, who also say they reported their abuse to the legendary coach in the 1970s.

One of those allegations was made public in a court order related to a lawsuit Penn State University filed against its former insurer over who should have to pay settlements to the more than 30 men who have come forward as victims of Sandusky. ["Snip!"--Ed.]

The other has spoken to CNN, in great detail, explaining how he was a troubled young kid in 1971 when he was raped in a Penn State bathroom by Jerry Sandusky. Then, he says, his complaint about it was ignored by Paterno.

For this story, we'll call him Victim A -- in keeping with the way that authorities have labeled the Sandusky accusers.

["Snip!"--Ed.]

This man, who CNN has agreed not to identify in keeping with our policy on sexual assault victims, was just 15 in 1971 when he says Sandusky raped him.

Sandusky was 27, a budding public figure who'd played football for Penn State in the 1960s and was one year into his tenure as an assistant linebacker coach. This was long before he started his now-closed children's charity, The Second Mile, which prosecutors would later call his victim factory.

[Details of actual sexual assault and rape "snipped!" Later, his parents would try to alert Penn State officials--Ed.]

"I tell them what happened -- well, I couldn't get it out of me that I was -- I can't even tell it to this day. It's just degrading -- that I was raped," he said.

"I told the story up to a certain point. I told them that he grabbed me and that I got the hell out of there."

They accused him of making it up. "'Stop this right now! We'll call the authorities,'" he said they told him.

Victim A says he couldn't think. "I just wanted to get off the phone."

The men on the phone had introduced themselves as Jim and Joe, he said. He had no idea who Jim was, and can't, to this day, say for sure.

"There was no question in my mind who Joe was," he said. "I've heard that voice a million times. It was Joe Paterno."

Sara Ganim, CNN

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

Doctor X

!W2

Postby Doctor X » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:47 pm

More evidences--thanks--the Cunt knew and simply did not care:

Will Hobson & Cindy Boren:

A man testified in court in 2014 that Penn State football coach Joe Paterno ignored his complaints of a sexual assault committed by assistant coach Jerry Sandusky in 1976 when the man was a 14-year-old boy, according to new court documents unsealed Tuesday in a Philadelphia court.

The victim, who was identified in court records as John Doe 150, said that while he was attending a football camp at Penn State, Sandusky touched him as he showered. Sandusky’s finger penetrated the boy’s rectum, Doe testified in court in 2014, and the victim asked to speak with Paterno about it. Doe testified that he specifically told Paterno that Sandusky had sexually assaulted him, and Paterno ignored it.

“Is it accurate that Coach Paterno quickly said to you, ‘I don’t want to hear about any of that kind of stuff, I have a football season to worry about?'” the man’s lawyer asked him in 2014. At least he has his priorities. . . .

“Specifically. Yes … I was shocked, disappointed, offended. I was insulted… I said, is that all you’re going to do? You’re not going to do anything else?”

Paterno, the man testified, just walked away.

Washington Post

You can see a nice picture of the statue of the Cunt that his Turd supporters want re-erected.

This article covers similar ground but adds details of how this could really hurt Penn State financially:

Chip Patterson:

According to PennLive.com, Pennsylvania Manufacturers Association Insurance Co. has claimed in court that Penn State had a duty to inform it of incidents that could result in liability exposure. Therefore, instances of Sandusky's alleged abuse that were witnessed by school employees (coaches) but not reported should take PMA off the hook for helping Penn State with the financials of the settlements.

Risk management expert Raymond Williams, in a report obtained by PennLive, has pointed to six different instances where Penn State should have reported Sandusky's behavior. Two of the cases have been tested in court and resulted in criminal convictions, and all six have resulted in settlement payments.

Also in the unsealed documents was testimony that former Penn State assistant coaches Tom Bradley and Greg Schiano knew of Sandusky abusing boys. Ex-Penn State assistant Mike McQueary named both Bradley and Schiano, now defensive coordinators at UCLA and Ohio State respectively, as coaches who either witnessed or knew of Sandusky using Penn State facilities for alleged sexual misconduct.

CBSSports

That is former incompetent couch of the incompetent Tampa Bay Buttmunchers. . . .

More specifically, from a linkypoo from the same CBS Sports:

Jon Solomon:

When asked whether Bradley provided any details about what Schiano reported to him, McQueary replied, "No, only that he had -- I can't remember if it was one night or one morning, but that Greg had come into his office white as a ghost and said he just saw Jerry doing something to a boy in the shower. And that's it. That's all he ever told me."

McQueary placed the date of his conversation with Bradley sometime in the mid-2000s, "meaning like 2005, '06; it could have been anywhere in there." McQueary said he did not know whether Bradley reported the incident witnessed by Schiano to anyone. And why would he? That would require him to actually give a shit.

CBSSports

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

ed
Title: Team Member

Postby ed » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:31 pm

unbelieveable.
"O, if George should die, the sorrow and the woe, O, the black grief of the world ..."

"Critical situations first become crises when oxen or women get excited."

"It's a scientific fact that if you stay in California you lose one point of your IQ every year."
Truman Capote

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:45 pm

ed wrote:unbelieveable.

Sadly the unbelievable part of this for me is how many people still support Penn and Paterno. I would understand if it was some usual, "lack of institutional control" bullshit, or even cheating, but this is just dark, indefensible shit.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:51 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:I think what we're seeing here (and this also applies to the Roman Catholic Church and Roman Polanski's artiste pals), is that we tend to underestimate the number of people who are basically OK with child rape even if not into it themselves.

All the rest of the institutional corruption stems from this.

Quoting self for emphasis.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Postby corplinx » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:29 pm

I saw the WaPo story this morning.

I have a feeling that sexual abuse of minors is so digusting that people will actually reel from it and try to pretend it isn't happening if the offspring is not their own.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:50 pm

Perhaps . . . perhaps corpx. I do not know.

I can "understand"--not excuse--family members retreating into denial. I can also somewhat "understand"--not excuse--those who have a hard time questioning those in power over them even if it is an imaginary power--see believers make excuses for not just Catholic priests. Molestation has occurred in other religions as well.

To that extent, I could "understand"--but not excuse--underlings of Paterno who feared his power--and he had power.

What I cannot understand would be turning a blind eye to cases where the perpetrators and victims were not family members so there is no layer of denial. Indeed, I think all states make it a legal obligation for those who encounter children--teachers, physicians, et cetera--to report any suspicion of molestation and/or abuse. Period. In an Ideal World, this should not be a legal requirement.

Paterno, in his position, had that obligation both legal and morally.

Can I "understand" his failure? He had none of the excuses. No, he simply did not want to threaten his precious football records--a game no one would give a shit about two days after it was played. He cared about himself. He had a duty. He willfully ignored it. Worse, he enabled it. He did both over and over and over again. My only regret is he did not live long enough to get sued, go to prison, see his precious statue come down. I opposed the restoration of his "wins" since that is all the fuck he cared about. Yet another reason the NCAA has no legitimacy.

So for him, corps, I do not believe that is what happened. I think he just did not care. He did not "want to know." Even though he knew, and knew, and knew again, he did not care.

--J.D.

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Postby corplinx » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:58 pm

There is no excuse. I was countering Abdul's analysis that people might be fine with sexual abuse of minors.

I think it is possible they can be disgusted by it but still be able to bury it mentally, probably because of that.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:37 am

I do not know. Understand I am not "arguing with you" as in U R WRONG ON INTERNET HITLER! All jokes aside, this Being the Internet and The Internet Being Serious, I do not wish to give the impression that I think you are anyway apologizing for Paterno or any of his other enablers. Anymore than my next paragraph means I sympathize with Nazi physicians who took part in the Holocaust. Just trying to understand it.

I could see underlings disgusted by it as you say who then say nothing more about it since "the Boss" will do nothing about it, and he clearly does not want anything done about it. It reminds me of Lifton's classic The Nazi Doctors. Briefly, part of the sick plan behind the Holocaust was to look at the removal of Jews as the removal of a disease. For years Jews had been portrayed as such. I am sure most have seen clips of a propaganda film that shifts scenes back and forth between "Jews" and masses of rats running all over the place.

The euthanasia program which presaged the "Final Solution" preached "keep the needle in the hand of the doctor!" Doctors--those who heal--would be the ones to institute "treatment." Doctors! Germans love their titles! This was not "murder" but treatment. There is an infamous propaganda film on the subject of "life not worth living" to support the euthanasia program. Move to the "Final Solution": to keep this myth going doctors chose who would live and die. They ran the "selections." It was all wrapped up in a story that this was "treatment" and "necessary."

Lifton studied a number of doctors and how they reacted to it. Some became drunks. Some, like Mengele, simply had their sadism unrestrained by the opportunity. Many, unable to see a way out, simply created another persona they wore in the camp during a selection. That does not excuse what they did, of course, nor do I imply you excuse anyone in the Penn State case.

Doctors do this as a matter of necessity--as do lawyers to some extent--try to create and act a dispassionate self so as to act and make decisions without emotions. We ["We?"--Ed.] may castigate the defense attorney for "defending the GUILTY!!1!!!"

Should doctors not treat the "GUILTY!!1!!!?"

Back to this, I would suspect but cannot prove obviously that the Schianos and the like simply became like the Nazi doctors. Each one was an individual. Some believed in "the Goal" and were willing to swallow the disgusting to pursue it. Some were too afraid of their future to act and found making up a story soothed their consciousness. I fear that a few, like Paterno, did not give a shit.

Though football--all my jokes and Fanboyism aside--is not war. It is not "life and death." The Nazi doctor could pretend that what he allowed somehow prevented the Soviets and Americans, and some British, but not the French because--really?--from raping his children and forcing them to listen to jazz.

Paterno's underlings?

So, in a way, they had less of an excuse--so to write--than those who enabled mass murder.

Paterno?

He has none of this. He knew what was going on, and he did not care because it was about his reputation. There is the tragic irony I blathered about years ago: HAD he allowed Sandusky's exposure WAY back, he would have been remembered as a saint who stood against such crimes. "Even though it hurt his program," he exposed the pedophile. Sad that I even had to write "Even though it hurt his program" as if a fucking football program matters!

I have heard enough Paterno ball-lickers--and that is all they are--try to claim that he did not know to even "nothing happened!" They make Tw00fers seem insightful.

--J.D.

Ben Trovado
Title: Ex Avenger

Postby Ben Trovado » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:51 pm

The big question: Will the knowledge and cover-up of these crimes since 1976 overshadow Deflategate?

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:07 pm

Probably not.

Which is sad, really.

--J.D.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:13 pm

Jury orders Penn State to pay McQueary $7.3 million:

BELLEFONTE, Pa. - A jury on Thursday ordered Pennsylvania State University to pay $7.3 million to Mike McQueary, who blamed school officials for destroying his life and coaching career after he emerged five years ago as the star witness against Jerry Sandusky and the administrators accused of covering up Sandusky's sex attacks on boys.

It took four hours for the Centre County panel to find that Penn State officials lied to McQueary when they promised in 2001 to act on his report of seeing Sandusky sexually assault a boy in a campus shower, and then damaged his reputation when Sandusky was finally arrested a decade later.

The verdict, after a two-week trial, offered an unusual window into the searing impact of the serial sex-abuse case.

Jurors heard how McQueary - now jobless, divorced, and living with his parents - was targeted by avid Penn State fans who blamed his allegations for damaging the football program's reputation and for the firing of the school's legendary head coach, Joe Paterno. And they heard from current and former coaches and administrators who said McQueary lost his job as an assistant coach in a routine staff shake-up, and simply wasn't good enough to land another one.
. . . .
McQueary's award could grow larger in the coming weeks. Gavin still has to rule on his whistle-blower claim that Penn State ousted him from his $104,000-a-year assistant coaching job because he spoke out about Sandusky and school officials.
. . . .
And the jury's endorsement of his story could also spell trouble for three of those former officials awaiting trial on child-endangerment charges.

McQueary is expected to play another starring role in their case, revisiting his 2012 turn on the witness stand, when he recounted for Sandusky jurors how he found the defensive coordinator sexually assaulting a boy in a locker-room shower and then reported what he saw to Paterno and two Penn State administrators.

Throughout the trial, Penn State lawyers maintained that the school's decision not to renew McQueary's contract that year had nothing to do with his cooperation with the criminal investigation. :roll:

"This is not a case about Jerry Sandusky," Conrad told the jury. "Any harm that Mike McQueary has suffered . . . is the result of his own failures." She did not read beyond the feelings of Paterno Rump-Swabs--people are angry and do not feel Paterno and his ilk suffered enough. Penn State--which was complicit in all of this since, well, they were all Penn State officials--is a "large anonymous deep pocket" ripe for being used for revenge. Should have settled. Better yet, should have done the right thing, but that probably is not Conrad's fault. Also, she may have had an unwilling client--unwilling to settle and all of that. Still: dumb, dumb, dumb argument.

In video-recorded testimony shown to the jury, Bill O'Brien - who immediately succeeded Paterno in the head coaching job and has gone on to lead the Houston Texans - said he came to Penn State in 2012 with a list of his own staff he wanted to bring with him. He said that he never considered McQueary for a job and that his decision had nothing to do with Sandusky.

Matt Rhule, Temple University's head coach and one of McQueary's longtime friends and former teammates, told jurors he deemed McQueary too unseasoned to offer him a job when he took over the Owls' program in 2013.

"There was nothing remarkable about Mr. McQueary's resumé," Conrad, the lawyer for the university, told jurors. "He stayed at one school, under one head coach. He had not developed the contacts or the resumé to land a job in this competitive field of professional college football."

But the jury clearly disagreed with those arguments. Understatement of the year.

Among the claims it settled Thursday, the panel found that former university president Graham B. Spanier defamed McQueary in statements he released in November 2011 in which he publicly expressed support for two colleagues - then-athletic director Tim Curley and vice president Gary Schultz - charged with covering up Sandusky's crimes. The jury also found that Curley and Schultz lied to McQueary in 2001, when he told them what he had seen and they told him they would take care of it. See? Thus:

Jurors awarded McQueary $1.15 million for the defamation, another $1.15 million for Curley and Schultz's misrepresentations, and $5 million in punitive damages DING!DING!DING!DING!.
. . . .
Since 2012, the school has paid more than $93 million to settle claims from 32 Sandusky accusers, and university officials have acknowledged the school bears some responsibility to the victims of its former assistant football coach, who is serving a 30- to 60-year prison sentence for the sexual abuse of 10 boys. So, after all of this, by fighting this case, you succeeded in bringing this whole sad affair right back in the lime light. Frankly, I am happy, because anytime the Paterno Rump-Swabs are upset is a "good thing."

Jeremy Roebuck: The Inquirer

--J.D.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:15 am

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... xual-abuse

Jerry Sandusky's son Jeffrey charged with child sexual abuse
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:19 am

There is a now certifiable whack-job named John Ziegler who claims the entire case against Jerry Sandusky is trumped up ala other cases such as Fells Acre, et cetera. I have not bothered to link to him since he has passed into the realm of other tw00f3rs where he cannot tolerate any evidence that challenges his "pet theory" which now threatens to make him appear ridiculous.

That being written, this fits the pattern of abused children becoming abusers.

At the risk of evoking our Commander in Chief, "very, very sad."

--J.D.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:15 pm

Ex-Penn State officials plead to charges in Sandusky case; Spanier left as lone defendant

by Angela Couloumbis, Susan Snyder & Jeremy Roebuck

HARRISBURG – After five years of maintaining their innocence, two former Pennsylvania State University administrators on Monday pleaded guilty to child endangerment for not reporting Jerry Sandusky's sexual abuse of children.

The pleas in Dauphin County Court by ex-athletic director Tim Curley and former vice president Gary Schultz reflected an unexpected turn in the case, one of the largest scandals in the history of college athletics. They also narrowed the spotlight to the lone remaining defendant, former university president Graham Spanier, the once highly regarded administrator who led Penn State for 16 years.

Jury selection in the three men's trial was slated to begin March 20. In return for their pleas, prosecutors dismissed felony conspiracy charges against Curley and Schultz. Each pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor, which carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison. Before I get all self-righteous, proving conspiracy may have been very difficult.

["Snip!"--Ed.]

Spanier still faces the felony conspiracy and misdemeanor child endangerment charges stemming from his alleged failure to inform police or child welfare investigators of a 2001 report by Mike McQueary, then a football program graduate assistant, that he saw Sandusky, the former assistant coach, sexually assault a boy in a locker-room shower.

["Snip!"--Ed.]

The prosecutors said the evidence would show that the defendants became aware of two incidents – one in 1998 and the other in 2001 – in which Sandusky was caught with boys in showers. In both cases, the men allegedly shared the information with Spanier. After the second, they met with Sandusky and ordered him not to bring boys onto campus. "But what you do to them in the privacy of your own shower. . . ."

But, the prosecutors said, they made no effort to investigate or find the boy from the 2001 incident, and no effort to enforce the campus ban against Sandusky -- and in the process endangered other children.

["Snip!"--Ed.]

The case has hinged on what exactly McQueary, a former Penn State quarterback hoping to join the coaching ranks, told first Paterno — and later Curley and Schultz — about what he saw in the shower in 2001. He described that scene in 2012 to jurors who ultimately convicted Sandusky of sexually assaulting multiple boys.

In multiple trips to the witness stand in related proceedings, McQueary has asserted unequivocally that he made clear to the head coach and administrators that Sandusky’s conduct with the young boy was “way over the line and extremely sexual.”

In their own grand jury testimony, Curley and Schultz maintained McQueary had failed to convey the seriousness of the incident, leaving them both under the impression that he witnessed merely questionable “horseplay.” A grown to middle-aged man . . . in a shower . . . with a child . . . "horseplay." I would laugh if the details conveyed by McQueary was anything but that. They also testified that’s how they described the incident to Spanier.

But a series of 2001 emails — now key to the government's case — show that the men at least considered the situation serious enough to possibly warrant police intervention. For just The Horse Play? They ultimately rejected the idea of calling authorities, opting instead to bar Sandusky from bringing children on campus, to urge the former coach to submit to counseling and to inform his children's charity, the Second Mile, of the allegations.

"The only downside for us is if the message isn't 'heard' and acted upon," Spanier wrote, signing off on the decision. "We then become vulnerable for not having reported it. … The approach you outline is humane and a reasonable way to proceed." "'Humane' and 'reasonable' because fuck the kids, we have GAMES to win! Well, yeah, 'fuck the kids.' HA!HA!HA!HA!"

All three men had been informed in 1998 Could that be connected? Heavens to Betsy. about another investigation led by Penn State's campus police into a report that Sandusky had showered with and potentially abused a different boy. That case never led to charges, but Curley and Schultz corresponded frequently with then-police Chief Thomas Harmon about the progress of his investigation. So . . . like . . . no reason to inform the police about a witnessed abuse a few years later . . . no. That would be "inhumane" and, dare I write it, "unreasonable." Spanier was copied on at least two of those exchanges.

Schultz kept his hand-written notes on the 1998 investigation in a locked file that investigators found years later. They read: "Other children? Is this opening of Pandora's box?"

["Snip!"--Ed.]

But the case continues to divide many in the community, especially over what role if any their iconic football coach had in even indirectly allowing Sandusky to target or victimize children. Paterno was never charged with a crime. Because the Cunt died.

Now, the focus will be squarely on Spanier, a marriage and family therapist by training and a family sociologist who himself said he suffered physical abuse at the end hands of his father, which left some of his supporters incredulous that he would conceal or ignore Sandusky’s attacks.

“As I have stated in the clearest possible terms, at no time during my presidency did anyone ever report to me that Jerry Sandusky was observed abusing a child or youth or engaged in a sexual act with a child or a youth,” he wrote in a 2012 letter to the trustees.

Born in South Africa — where his father fled from Nazi Germany — Spanier joined Penn State’s faculty in 1973. After a dozen years climbing the administrative ladder at other schools, he returned to Penn State as president in 1995.

He has continued to live in the State College area and frequently is spotted at Penn State events and community gatherings. As part of his employment agreement, he continues to hold the position of professor at Penn State. He does not teach, but still draws a $600,000 salary.

["Snip!"--Ed.]

The Office of the Attorney General has wasted millions of dollars in state resources slow-playing a bogus case that relies on a falsely-exaggerated grand jury presentment,”Maribeth Roman Schmidt, a spokeswoman Cunt for Penn Staters for Responsible Stewardship, which has been highly critical of the university’s response to the crisis, said last week.

Philadelphia Inquirer

--J.D.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:19 pm

The trial of the former president begins:

Testimony begins in trial of former Penn State president Graham Spanier:

The failure of Penn State's former president to report child molestation accusations against Jerry Sandusky allowed evil "to run wild," prosecutors said Tuesday at the start of Graham Spanier's trial. A defense attorney accused prosecutors of trying to "criminalize a judgment call." All crimes result from "judgment calls."

Opening statements got underway in the long-delayed criminal trial against Spanier, who faces felony charges of child endangerment and conspiracy for how he handled a 2001 report that the former assistant football coach had abused a boy in a team shower.

["Snip!"--Ed.]

Deputy Attorney General Patrick Schulte told jurors that Spanier and others agreed not to report Sandusky and, as a result, "evil in the form of Jerry Sandusky was allowed to run wild."

The attorney general's office's witness list includes two former Penn State officials who took plea deals in the case last week -- former vice president Gary Schultz and former athletic director Tim Curley.

It also includes a former Penn State lawyer, the onetime head of a charity for children founded by Sandusky, police and someone described only as "a confidential witness." Another potential witness is Mike McQueary, a graduate assistant coach who reported seeing Sandusky shower with the boy.

ImageDefense attorney Sam Silver disputed any notion that his client and others didn't respond to the 2001 complaint about Sandusky.

"They made a decision they believed was appropriate under the circumstances," So did . . . HITLER!!! he said, accusing prosecutors of trying to "criminalize a judgment call."

WTAE

--J.D.

RCC

Postby RCC » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:53 pm

The lawyer seems to at least have a decent grasp on how to win these sorts of trials. He almost certainly won't, but he's at least found a theory of the case that can paint the accused in an empathetic light. That he made a reasonable decision and is being witch-hunted based on results, and the key is to get the jury to think about the reasonable tough decisions they have made that maybe turned out bad, and how they would feel to he on trial for it.

It is a respectable strategy. I don't know if I'd be trying it in the media though, as he could blow himself out with the jury pool if the media reports it in a harsh light.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:08 am

That did not take too long:

Jury reaches split verdict in trial of ex-PSU president Graham Spanier

Former Penn State President Graham Spanier is guilty of endangering the welfare of children but not guilty of another count of endangerment and a conspiracy charge, a jury has decided.

Despite the conviction, Judge John Boccabella permitted Spanier to remain free on bail pending sentencing.

Graham Spanier sat next to his attorney looking down at his phone in the quiet but heavily secured courtroom after the verdict was announced.

With the misdemeanor conviction, he faces a minimum sentence later this spring that - for most first-time offenders - falls between probation and 9 months in prison, but could range higher.

PennLive

--J.D.

Return to “Sports & Recreation”