Pan Am Games: Link to our website without permission and we'll sue

Never agree to 3 points on top of the vig.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:38 pm

The Register
The organisers of the Pan American Games in Toronto, which start this week, require that people seek formal permission to link to its website at toronto2015.org.

Under the website's terms of use, amid piles of incomprehensible legalese seemingly designed to hide from the fact that social media exists, it is decreed that no one is allowed to use one of those hyperlink thingies to connect to the website unless they first get approval.

Just to be on the safe side however, we wrote to the organisers asking for their permission to link to them for this article. We politely emailed:

• Dear Pan Am Games lawyers,

Welcome to the internet.

We would like to seek permission to link to your website for a story we are writing about how ludicrous it is that you are requesting people to ask permission to link to your site.

It is only fair that we warn you the article is likely to be critical of yourselves and contain a good degree of mockery.

We should also note that we will link to your site regardless of your response. But all the same, it's nice to have permission.

And before you ask: there's no need to ask us for permission to link to the story when it's up. It happens all the time.
The response?
  • Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently: branduse@toronto2015.org. Technical details of permanent failure…
And the follow up:
The toronto2015.org masterminds have pulled a U-turn: they have updated the website's terms and conditions following the publication of our story on Saturday to excise the demand for written permission to link to the site. This is a screenshot of the original text ...

Oh, did we just ruin someone's weekend?
:lmao:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: Pan Am Games: Link to our website without permission and we'll sue

Post by Rob Lister » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:24 pm

Were I to read that warning I would think it a cheap attempt at reverse psychology.

I say we don't link to their site to reverse their reverse. And then don't do that twice to really muck up their plan.

But since they clarified it to state that hotlinks are not allowed, now I believe they really are just being silly.

so ...

Now, that will either work or not work based solely on their technical competence.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:35 pm

Of course it's pretty easy to prevent hotlinking pics from their end.

Or are lawyers cheaper than minimally competent web designers? :BigGrin3:

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:38 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Of course it's pretty easy to prevent hotlinking pics from their end.

Or are lawyers cheaper than minimally competent web designers? :BigGrin3:
I sure hope pyrrho doesn't get sued.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:39 pm

You mean Pixy, not Pyrrho.

If they aren't preventing hotlinking, odds are excellent they aren't capable of detecting it.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:06 pm

Actually Skeptica, probably. Pixy is immune.

Whoever is listed as the POC for whois sc.com

Assumes they know how to use whois. And I'm not too sure they do.

They may sue you for all I know. You started the thread.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:20 pm

It's fairly easy to figure out my secret identity, but are they smart enough?

Or does a 700 year old non-Muslim Arab (address unknown) get sued?

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:16 pm

They can only sue if you mention Scientology.

Damn.

--J.D.

P.S. Unless my Adblock has remov'd something everyone else is seeing, this site does not generate an income through ads and all of that. The "authors" are not paid. So though one can VIOATES TEH KOPJIWREICHTS even in Danish Law [!--Ed.], that is questionable. Be that as it may, to enforce it, the holder simply has to inform the violator of the violation. There are a number of ways but the DMCA is actually a way to protect host in that it is given time to remove said material.

Now hosts and peoples and wombats and breakfast cereal can also claim that no such kopjiwreicht exists. Under DMCA which must be filed under oath, they can counter. This is all to prevent frivolous claims.

IF one can show that income has been made or damage done by the hosting that is another matter that keeps lawyers well-fed.

However, as a perusal of Popehat and The Oatmeal shows, any clown can send The Letter which demands removal, and some exorbitant damages and fees and ponies. The unwitting will comply to this. This, in a way, is what happened to The Oatmeal when he simply requested Funkyjunk which posted his cartoons simply provide a link to his cite to acknowledge his authorship. Nothing else. If they started selling t-shirts and the like that may have been another matter.

Some utter boob with questionable connections to Funkjunk then sent him The Letter. The cartoonist retorted in a hilarious fashion which is worth the read--preserved on both his and Popehat's site. Nevertheless, he needed legal representation to fight the Stupid.

That, My Children, is the problem. Most cannot afford the legal fees to protect against what are basically spurious threats. This is why asshole companies have tried to go after people who post negative reviews under the rational that they will cave before The Letter rather than pay for the representation to tell them to properly stuff it.

A news organization? They have lots of lawyers with nothing better to do. Some of them look like this:

There is the hilarious incident where Fox sued itself over The Simpsons. An episode had a depiction of Fox with "the crawl" that read something like, "Does voting Democrat cause cancer?" So some nimrod in the news department screamed "SUE FOR KOPJIERICHTS!" He spoke in allcaps. Idiot did not know Fox makes the damn show!

In the rain.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!