Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: Japan

Post by Rob Lister »

I bought this one in ~2000 as a birthday present for my wife.

I don't remember what I paid for it but it wasn't much.

I remember it being a pain to upload photos.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

There will still be a big market for them.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Japan awards first-ever ninja studies degree

Masters student combines historical research with farming and martial arts

A Japanese university has awarded the first-ever degree in ninja studies.

Masters student Genichi Mitsuhashi, 45, spent two years examining historical documents on the true nature of the stealth fighters while perfecting his martial arts skills.

He also bought a wooden two-storey house in Iga province, the birthplace of the ninja, and cultivated rice and vegetables on the land.

“I read that ninjas worked as farmers in the morning and trained in martial arts in the afternoon,” he told AFP.

“With this combination, I thought I could learn about the real ninja.”

Mr Mitsuhashi was one of three students to enroll in the masters degree at Mie University’s International Ninja Research Centre in spring 2018.

He attended the graduate school three times a week and wrote a thesis on how ninja managed mountain forests in Iga between the 17th and 19th centuries.

After completing his course in March, Mr Mitsuhashi moved on to a Phd program and hopes to connect visitors to the area with the local community.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 88006.html

Witness

Post by Witness »

Yamato becomes Japan's 1st city to 'ban' use of phones while walking

YOKOHAMA (Kyodo) -- Yamato on Thursday became the first municipality in Japan to attempt to stop people using their smartphones while walking outside in public places.

Following the passage of a draft ordinance in the city's assembly in Kanagawa Prefecture, the rule will come into effect next Wednesday. It does not, however, carry any penalties for those who ignore it.

The city said it hopes people will recognize that "smartphones should be used when not in motion."

According to the ordinance, pedestrians should stop at a place where they are not obstructing traffic if they want to use their smartphones in public spaces, such as on streets and in parks.

In January, the city conducted a study at two locations, observing a total of about 6,000 pedestrians, and found that roughly 12 percent of pedestrians were using their smartphones while walking.
https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20 ... na/111000c

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Witness wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:25 am
Yamato becomes Japan's 1st city to 'ban' use of phones while walking

It does not, however, carry any penalties for those who ignore it.
. . .

In January, the city conducted a study at two locations, observing a total of about 6,000 pedestrians, and found that roughly 12 percent of pedestrians were using their smartphones while walking.
https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20 ... na/111000c
A rule with no penalties for ignoring it is merely a suggestion. However, it is good advice and not following it may come with its own natural consequences.

Yamato is not far from where I live, just a few stations away. I've been there on several occasions in the past, but haven't had any reason to go there recently. (Back when I was in the Navy, it was practically next door to the base where I was stationed.)

Incidentally, the city shares its name with a famous Japanese battleship from World War II.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamato,_Kanagawa
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

I think it was mentioned a few years ago that some fools in London wanted padding placed around light and sign polls since people reading their phones frequently walked into them.

I believe "Yamato" is the ancient name for the Japanese people, or what they sort of claim that since the Imperial Family "originally" rules from that province.

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

I think technology will solve the problem. Lane assist and collision avoidance for walkers.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Doctor X wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:35 am
I believe "Yamato" is the ancient name for the Japanese people, or what they sort of claim that since the Imperial Family "originally" rules from that province.

– J.D.
I thought it was the name for Japan, but I haven't looked into it deeply.

The kanji are 大和.

"Big wa"

The first kanji means big or great. The second has various meanings but Japan or Japaneseness is its primary meaning. It also means peace and harmony.

平和 means peace. The current era is 令和. Harmony is 調和. Alone it means a sum (of two numbers).
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness »

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Anaxagoras wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:39 am
That and when I looked into the actual historical origins of "Japanese" people, it was in contradistinction to the racist theories of origins which considered "Japanese" to be "Yamato" as opposed to those "primitives" they supplanted and the "great unwashed" . . . er . . . Koreans they probably came from.

Just doing some searching again:
What makes it especially difficult to discuss Japanese archeology dispassionately is that Japanese interpretations of the past affect present behavior. Who among East Asian peoples brought culture to whom? Who has historical claims to whose land? These are not just academic questions. For instance, there is much archeological evidence that people and material objects passed between Japan and Korea in the period a.d. 300 to 700. Japanese interpret this to mean that Japan conquered Korea and brought Korean slaves and artisans to Japan; Koreans believe instead that Korea conquered Japan and that the founders of the Japanese imperial family were Korean.

Discover Magazine
sort of summarizes the problem.

– J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Witness

Post by Witness »

Japan auto companies triple Mexican pay rather than move to US

Trump hailed new NAFTA as American job generator, but higher prices appear in offing

NEW YORK/TOKYO -- The new North American free trade agreement that goes into effect Wednesday was touted by U.S. President Donald Trump as an engine of American job creation. But Japan's automakers are largely opting instead to keep operations in place and pay Mexican workers more or even just pay tariffs.

The US-Mexico-Canada Agreement requires 40% or more of parts for each passenger vehicle be manufactured by workers who are paid at least $16 per hour as a condition to make them tariff free in the region. Trump hailed that feature as a way to boost production in the U.S., which has a higher hourly rate than Mexico.

However, this looks to be wishful thinking. The ratio of US-Canada parts among Mexican-assembled vehicles sold in the U.S. was 13.5% in 2018, according to the U.S. Department of Transportation Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Trump's theory was that U.S. production would inevitably increase to meet the 40% requirement, but Japanese automakers, which had already positioned their production bases according to the old NAFTA regime, are not simply willing to pull up stakes and redeploy.

One reason is the cost of moving production. Honda Motor-affiliated parts maker Keihin will raise the hourly wage of employees at a factory in Mexico to $16 by next month -- triple the average rate of a parts factory in Mexico, but still cheaper than making a move. Because the pandemic has hurt earnings, the cost of the moving production will likely be too burdensome over the foreseeable future.

Auto component maker Piolax, will also raise the hourly wage at its Mexican plant to $16 within the year. The company is also installing robots to mitigate rising labor costs, President Yukihiko Shimazu said.

Toyota Motor, which built a new plant in Mexico in 2015, is not finding it easy to change plans either. The new plant started full-scale production of pickup trucks in February. The trucks are popular in the U.S. and would be subject to a 25% tariff if they do not meet the content requirements of the USMCA. But if Toyota does not operate the factory, it cannot recover its investment.

"We don't want to be whipped around by a policy that we don't know how long it will last," said an executive at a Japanese automaker.
https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Automo ... move-to-US

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Witness wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:55 am
"We don't want to be whipped around by a policy that we don't know how long it will last," said an executive at a Japanese automaker.
[url]
Therein lies the problem. This economic tug-of-war is scary to industry. The surface of the playing field is a fucking boiling cauldron.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-healt ... KKBN23X190
As face coverings become the norm amid the coronavirus pandemic, Japanese startup Donut Robotics has developed an internet-connected “smart mask” that can transmit messages and translate from Japanese into eight other languages.

The white plastic “c-mask” fits over standard face masks and connects via Bluetooth to a smartphone and tablet application that can transcribe speech into text messages, make calls, or amplify the mask wearer’s voice.

“We worked hard for years to develop a robot and we have used that technology to create a product that responds to how the coronavirus has reshaped society,” said Taisuke Ono, the chief executive of Donut Robotics.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Watch in HiRez, of course.

shuize

Post by shuize »

Don't worry, this will never be me.
"Don't trust China. China is asshoe."

Witness

Post by Witness »

shuize wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:45 pm
Social parasite! :x

We already had machines to watch television for us, now it's robots for sports. :roll:

shuize

Post by shuize »

Witness wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:03 pm
shuize wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:45 pm
Social parasite! :x

Yes, I'll admit, it's mostly because I'm lazy.

But that whole "Thank you for your service, now we shoot you" policy doesn't help.
"Don't trust China. China is asshoe."

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Gram?

– J.D.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

I'm American.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Another natural disaster in Japan. Flooding this time.

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2020/ ... an/613933/
William Shakespeare