The UK thread

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: The UK thread

Post by Rob Lister »

Witness wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:10 am
“But I still have this view that cats are a much more effective way of dealing with rodents,” he said.
I wonder what evidence would dispel him of that view, because ...
The MP for Chorley, in Lancashire, said he recognised fears that cats might accidentally eat the poison currently used to deal with the mouse problem.
His fears are going to be realized if they keep both cats and poison.

Or they can just keep the cats otherwise unfed, pretend they do a good job, and silently dispose of the occasional stiff ones found lying about.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Beefeaters guarding the Tower of London face job cuts for first time in history

LONDON — For the first time in their long history, Britain’s iconic Beefeaters, who guard the millennium-old Tower of London, are facing job cuts.

Visitors to the landmark have fallen off sharply amid the novel coronavirus pandemic, according to the Historic Royal Palaces, the independent charity that manages the site.

Founded by Henry VII in 1485, the Yeomen Warders, as they are formally known, clad in flamboyant ruby and gold or navy blue uniforms, were the traditional guards of prisoners and the Crown Jewels, a collection of more than 23,000 gleaming gemstones and key items connected to the British monarchy — including emerald-encrusted crowns, coronation robes and medals.

Today, their role is ceremonial, focused on welcoming tourists and sharing historical knowledge during group tours of the attraction. For thousands of visitors to London, no sightseeing trip is complete without a photograph with one of the guards.

But after more than 500 years, the future of the Beefeaters looks uncertain.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... -job-cuts/

Aw, shocking! :shock:
Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:51 pm
Harry Dunn death: US says extradition request 'highly inappropriate'
https://news.sky.com/story/anne-sacoola ... h-11905753
Follow-up:
Harry Dunn death: US immunity rule used by Anne Sacoolas closed

The UK and the US have agreed to amend an "anomaly" that allowed Harry Dunn death suspect Anne Sacoolas to claim diplomatic immunity.

Mrs Sacoolas - the wife of a diplomat at RAF Croughton, Northamptonshire - was able to leave the UK thanks to the "secret agreement".

She has been accused of killing the 19-year-old in a crash near the base.

Mr Dunn's mother said the change, which is not thought to be retroactive, was a "huge step in the right direction".

Charlotte Charles told the BBC: "We now need Dominic Raab to work with us to make sure that we get her back to the UK to face justice at some point soon."

The foreign secretary has said relatives of US staff at the air base can face prosecution under the amended rules where they may have previously been immune.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-53500449
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Witness wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:27 am
Harry Dunn death: US immunity rule used by Anne Sacoolas closed
Mr Dunn's mother said the change, which is not thought to be retroactive, was a "huge step in the right direction".

Charlotte Charles told the BBC: "We now need Dominic Raab to work with us to make sure that we get her back to the UK to face justice at some point soon."

The foreign secretary has said relatives of US staff at the air base can face prosecution under the amended rules where they may have previously been immune.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-53500449
I don't care either way but if the change is not retroactive, how is it a huge step in the right direction?
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

"36-year-old Sue has been pregnant for most of her adult life"

14 kids and another one in the oven. Oldest one is 22, so arithmetic says she must have been age 14 or so when she had her first one. Knocked up at 13 perhaps?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Put down the dick!

– Chris Rock
– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Witness

Post by Witness »

Rob Lister wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:06 am I don't care either way but if the change is not retroactive, how is it a huge step in the right direction?
Not everybody is as rational as you, especially in an emotional situation…

'We look like fools': UK-US ties threatened by corruption case row

Exchanges show how American prosecutors stymied British efforts to extradite key suspect

British anti-corruption investigators accused their US counterparts of deceiving them during a row over a criminal inquiry that threatened cooperation between the countries and prompted the UK to complain that “we look like fools”.

The extraordinary dispute is laid bare in a series of confidential exchanges, seen by the Guardian, between senior levels of the UK’s Serious Fraud Office (SFO), which prosecutes large-scale bribery and corruption, and the US Department of Justice.

The correspondence shows how American prosecutors allegedly went behind the backs of their British counterparts to stymie their efforts to bring a key suspect to trial in the UK.

The dispute was particularly sensitive because Jeremy Wright, the UK’s then attorney general, had personally authorised the prosecution of the suspect, Saman Ahsani, who was accused of paying large bribes in an international conspiracy.

The dispute centred on one of the SFO’s largest ever investigations, which began five years ago when investigators started to examine a bribery scandal involving Unaoil, a Monaco-based consultancy. Ahsani was one of three members of the family that controlled Unaoil.

Unaoil was alleged to have paid bribes to officials around the world to secure contracts in the energy industry on behalf of multinational firms, including the British engineering company Rolls-Royce.

The documents show how leading SFO officials believed the Americans had muscled in on their investigation, without their knowledge, and pushed them aside to bring their own prosecution of Ahsani, a leading suspect.
https://www.theguardian.com/law/2020/ju ... n-case-row for the rest.

These uppity colonies. :x
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Who the fuck cares as long as he gets busted.

Oh wait, It's the Grauniad. They hate the USA even more than the Colonigraph.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:
Witness

Post by Witness »

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

– J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

As long as we're on the subject:
Wiley dropped by management over anti-Semitic posts
Grime artist Wiley has been dropped by his management following anti-Semitic comments on his social media accounts.
His manager John Woolf said A-List Management has "cut all ties" after a long series of posts on Friday on accounts that belong to the rapper.
The Campaign Against Antisemitism has asked police to investigate and called for his accounts to be closed.
Wiley is known as the "godfather of grime" and received an MBE for services to music in 2018.
Anti-Semitic content was posted to more than 440,000 Instagram followers and 490,000 Twitter followers.
Wiley shared conspiracy theories and insulted Jewish people.
In one tweet he said "I don't care about Hitler, I care about black people", and also compared the Jewish community to the Ku Klux Klan.
Posts on Instagram include videos of himself and screenshots that suggest Twitter temporarily stopped him from tweeting.
However, he resumed posting on Twitter later on Saturday morning. Mr Woolf confirmed the account belongs to the London-born rapper, 41, whose real name is Richard Cowie.
The manager wrote on Twitter on Saturday morning: "Following Wiley's antisemitic tweets today we at A—ListMGMT have cut all ties with him. There is no place in society for antisemitism."
The announcement came a few hours after he tweeted that he was "talking to him privately" and wanted to "educate".
He also wrote: "I am also saying as someone who has known him for 12 years I know he does not truly feel this way."

'Deeply shocked and saddened'
In a subsequent statement, Mr Woolf said: "To be very clear here. I do not support or condone what Wiley has said today online in any way shape or form.
"I am a proud Jewish man and I am deeply shocked and saddened but what he has chosen to say.
"I am speaking to key figures in my community in light of today's tweets. This behaviour and hateful speech is not acceptable to me."
The Campaign Against Antisemitism said it had reported Wiley to the Met Police and asked Twitter and Facebook to close his accounts to "prevent further outpouring of anti-Jewish venom".
"We consider that Wiley has committed the offence of incitement to racial hatred, which can carry a substantial prison sentence," a statement read.
It added that it will contact the Cabinet Office to ask that Wiley's MBE be revoked.
"Wiley has many hundreds of thousands of followers on social media and we have seen today that many of them truly believe the unhinged hatred that he is spreading," the statement continued.
"We are treating this as a very serious matter which must be met with the firmest of responses."
An MBE, in case anyone else doesn't know, is a Member of the Order of the British Empire, an award bestowed by the British government. (Apparently they still consider there to be an "Empire".)
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Well, they still occupy Scotland, Whales, Northern Ireland, and Swansea.

I find the anti-free speech laws in Our Colonies most unfortunate. Scotland is mooting one now. "Incitement to racial hatred." Consider that.

The speech can be ignorant, odious, and all of that, but when made criminal, it makes crime a matter of opinion.

– J.D.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Islamic Relief leader quits as Times discovers antisemitic posts

Heshmat Khalifa, second from left, on an Islamic Relief trip to Egypt in 2011
A leader of Britain’s largest Muslim charity labelled Jews the “grandchildren of monkeys and pigs” and called Egypt’s president a “Zionist pimp”, it is revealed today.

Heshmat Khalifa was a trustee and director of Islamic Relief Worldwide, whose £570 million income over the past five years included substantial contributions from the United Nations, the European Commission and the British taxpayer. He resigned after The Times confronted the global aid charity with antisemitic comments that he made on his Facebook page.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/isla ... -5dplrw9vv
Witness

Post by Witness »

Coronavirus: Growth in UK private sector hits five-year high amid 'surge' in business activity

Growth in the UK’s private sector hit a five-year high in July following a “surge” in business activity that will raise hopes of a strong recovery from the depths of the coronavirus crisis.

The composite purchasing managers’ index (PMI) reading from IHS Markit’s closely watched survey came in at 57.1, far ahead of expectations and significantly above June’s figure of 47.7.

PMIs are an indicator of private sector activity and are given on a scale of 1 to 100. Anything above 50 signals growth, while anything below means contraction.

A reading of 56.6 for the services sector “indicated that business activity was firmly in growth territory during July,” according to IHS Markit.

But while the rise in activity came as an easing of coronavirus restrictions allowed many businesses to reopen, there were also reports that initial demand was weaker than expected, it said.

And, despite the growth, there was a continued decline in staffing levels across the sector, with around a third of survey respondents reporting a fall-off in employment during July.

The services sector is hugely important to the UK economy — it includes finance, law, retail, engineering, and consulting — and makes up about 80% of the country’s economic output.

“The UK economy started the third quarter on a strong footing as business continued to reopen doors after the COVID-19 lockdown,” said Chris Williamson, the chief business economist at IHS Markit.
https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/coron ... ccounter=1

See the France thread for a very similar phenomenon. Perhaps it's just corporate bullshit from IHS Markit?
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Witness

Post by Witness »

UK’s only centre for eradicating FGM faces closure after funding pulled by government

Exclusive: ‘We will not be there to protect the girls who need us. We know that FGM is still being practised in communities across England’

The UK’s only centre dedicated to stamping out female genital mutilation is facing closure after the government pulled its funding, putting women at fresh risk of harm.

Cash has been quietly withdrawn from the unit – set up by Theresa May, when she vowed to end FGM “within a generation” – leaving it struggling to survive, The Independent can reveal.

The crisis comes despite hundreds of new victims of FGM being identified every month and just one successful prosecution for the practice, despite laws being on the books for 35 years.

The head of the unit’s advisory board said its work had “never been more essential”, warning: “It would be devastating if all of its vital work had to come to an end.”

The centre receives referrals on girls at risk from FGM, carries out assessments, takes out protection orders and trains thousands of teachers, social workers, police officers and lawyers.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 36206.html
Witness

Post by Witness »

The British government is investing in a sex party startup

The British government is investing £170,000 ($221,780) in a company that throws sex parties.
Killing Kittens, which organizes women-led adult parties in London and New York, said Wednesday that it has secured the investment from the UK government's Future Fund, which is designed to help startups survive the coronavirus pandemic.
"I never envisaged Boris as a sleeping partner," said the company's CEO Emma Sayle, referring to UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson. "Killing Kittens has arrived on the digital scene and we're now pioneering the fastest-growing adult social network in the world," she added.

Sayle founded Killing Kittens in 2005, organizing members-only masked parties in exclusive venues with a focus on "the pursuit of female pleasure," according to its website. It now has 180,000 members in 12 countries and recorded a 330% increase in traffic to its website during coronavirus lockdowns.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/29/busi ... index.html
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Bob Hope? :?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
ceptimus

Post by ceptimus »

Dominic Cummins - political advisor to Prime Minister Boris Johnson. He likes to test whether his eyesight is good enough for driving by driving his wife and child to a beauty spot during a lockdown - where they stopped and got out of the car for a while - but only because he was feeling sick, and not, of course, because they were visiting the beauty spot.