Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: Japan

Post by Rob Lister »

lovely psa.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Japan Unveils 3,000-Ton ‘Big Whale’ Submarine Amid Tension With China

Japan on Wednesday unveiled a new naval submarine amid flaring tensions with China. The 3,000-ton Taigei, or big whale, built by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd. will be put into service by March 2022, Kyodo News agency reported.

Manned by 70 crew members, the Taigei will be 22nd vessel in Japan’s Maritime Self-Defense Force’s submarine fleet. It will be 84 meters (276 feet) long and 9.1 meters (30 feet) wide, costing Japan around $720 million.

The vessel’s announcement comes amid tensions in the East China Sea, where Tokyo blames Beijing for violating the country’s territorial waters.

Japan said Chinese coast guard ships entered its territorial waters near the Senkaku Islands in the East China Sea last Sunday, only leaving the area Tuesday night after “a record length of time.”

The Japanese Coast Guard said the Chinese vessels remained in its waters for 57 hours and 39 minutes — exceeding the previous record of 39 hours and 23 minutes set in July.

China claims the Japanese-controlled islands, which it calls Diaoyu, and routinely sends its warships to the surrounding waters.

Under these increasing tensions, Tokyo aims to increase the number of its submarines from 16 to 22 as part of its 2010 National Defense Program Guidelines. Currently, Japan runs nine 2,750-ton Oyashio-class submarines and 11 2,950-ton Soryu-class warships. It plans to add a 12th Soryu-class submarine next year.
https://eurasiantimes.com/japan-unveils ... ith-china/

Mitsubishi at it again, uh? :mrgreen:

Witness

Post by Witness »

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

That looks like a place I could spend some time. Gotta figure out a way to get Bruce to invite me...:)
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Japanese gov't creates YouTube channel on N Korea abduction issue

The Japanese government has created an official YouTube channel to provide information about North Korea's abductions of Japanese nationals in the 1970s and 1980s, with a video featuring Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga vowing to bring them back home promptly.
https://japantoday.com/category/politic ... tion-issue

"Promptly", half a century later? Anyway, videos at the link.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

typo for taxes or really faxes. I can see the latter.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

That's what I wondered the first time I read the headline, but it means facsimile machines.

As the new administrative reform minister, Taro Kono declares war on fax machines (Japan Times)

Japanese government to phase out fax machines, paper documents, personal seals (SoraNews24)

My company essentially went paperless this year, due to the pandemic. It was the nudge we needed. Could have happened long ago I'm sure, as could working from home, but it didn't actually happen until there was a reason why it had to happen right now instead of at some indeterminate time in the future.
William Shakespeare
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

The guys I work with think that "digital" means printing a PDF on paper, marking changes on the paper copy, then scanning the paper markup into PDF.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Well paper was a pretty great invention, it must be said. Easily one of the top 10 all time.
William Shakespeare
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Anaxagoras wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:13 am Well paper was a pretty great invention, it must be said. Easily one of the top 10 all time.
And the clean water.

クス!Wrong thread!

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

And easier to file than stone tablets.