Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Anaxagoras

Re: Japan

Post by Anaxagoras »

Japanese firm installs vending machine selling nothing but munchable insects
The machine is run by a Sasebo-based event management company that sells a fine range of deep-fried or dried crickets, grasshoppers and other insects.

The vending machine at Michi-no-Eki Konchu no sato Tabira, a roadside market and rest stop in the Nagasaki Prefecture town of Hirado, was well received, partly due to its novelty. It sells nine kinds of insects, including locusts, silkworm chrysalises, diving beetles and cicadas. All of them are bottled and refrigerated, and the prices range from 600 to 1,000 yen (about $5 to $9). The company, Art Studio Wao, claims that the buggy tidbits taste like they've been freshly fried if heated up. It will expand its insect offerings beyond the bottled lineup in the near future.
:Hungry2:
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
shuize

Post by shuize »

Japanese sumo wrestling under fire after Hibikiryu dies from head injury
The wrestler, whose real name was Mitsuki Amano, was thrown by his opponent during a bout at a tournament on March 26. Video of the bout showed he fell hard on his head and lay face down for several minutes while sumo officials watched and waited for paramedics to arrive.

I sure hope none of those paramedics were women.

Women are not allowed in the dohyo.

Think I'm joking?

In 2018, the association came under fire after demanding a nurse and other women leave the ring, which they had entered to give first aid to an official who had collapsed.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/03/japanese- ... ad-injury/
Witness

Post by Witness »

Covid: Japan town builds giant squid statue with relief money

The 13m-long (43ft) sea creature lies in the port of Noto, where flying squid is the town's delicacy.

It reportedly used 25m yen ($228,500; £164,700) of the emergency funding to build the statue.

Noto officials have told local media it is part of a long term plan to lure tourists back after the pandemic.

Japan is battling another surge in coronavirus cases, and Tokyo is currently under a state of emergency - the third for the country since the pandemic began.

The fishing town of Noto - which is located in Ishikawa prefecture on Japan's central-west coast - has had a very low number of cases, but it has been impacted by the significant drop in tourists.

Noto received 800m yen ($7.3m; £5.3m) through the national grants, which were intended as an emergency economic boost to help regional areas affected by the pandemic, reports Yahoo Japan.

The funds did not have to be spent directly on Covid relief. Some however have criticised the town's administration for spending so much money on the giant cephalopod, especially as the pandemic is not yet over.

One local told the Chunichi Shimbun newspaper that while the statue may be effective in the long run, the money could have been used for "urgent support", such as for medical staff and long-term care facilities.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56978075
shuize

Post by shuize »

My ex- told me that the Noto Peninsula is always used as a question for Japanese geography tests.

Now they have two claims to fame. (Ha! Ha!)

Maybe I've told this story before. Back in my English teaching days, I worked for a short time in a small village (pop. around 5,000).

In addition to two perfectly acceptable junior high school and high school baseball fields, the village built a beautiful, large baseball field worthy of any single A or AA team in the States

Something like this (but slightly bigger):

https://www.baseballpilgrimages.com/min ... ville.html

Who did they build it for? Well, that's the billion yen question. There were no pro teams, university teams, or even serious minor league teams in the area.

When the local government guy took me out to see it before it opened,* I said "Wow. It's beautiful. But honestly, just between you and me, do you think it's really necessary out here?"

Yes-man that he was, he answered "Oh, yes. Absolutely."

Apparently following the "If you build it they will come" strategy, that field was single-handedly going to solve their ever-worsening population decline and no local industry besides farming and fishing problem. **

* Why it was important to show off their new crown jewel to the only foreigner in sight, I'm not sure. But it was. I may even have gotten out of teaching duties that day.

** I guess they expected to make their money back with club tournaments. But there were no large hotels, restaurants, etc. in the area, either. And if you weren't coming by car, you weren't coming.

*** ETA: I just checked their homepage. The village population is down about 15% from when I was there. If I still worked there, I'd be sure to point out that their stadium's seating capacity is now more than the entire village. (Ha! Ha!)
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

shuize wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:05 am* Why it was important to show off their new crown jewel to the only foreigner in sight, I'm not sure. But it was. I may even have gotten out of teaching duties that day.
A book by an ex-intelligence officer in WWII who studied Japanese for that reason, then lived there in the post-war period, noted an effort by Japanese to try to impress visiting foreigners in those years with how great the area and Japan in general were doing.

You probably forgot; you are pretty old.

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
shuize

Post by shuize »

Doctor X wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:19 am
shuize wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:05 am* Why it was important to show off their new crown jewel to the only foreigner in sight, I'm not sure. But it was. I may even have gotten out of teaching duties that day.
A book by an ex-intelligence officer in WWII who studied Japanese for that reason, then lived there in the post-war period, noted an effort by Japanese to try to impress visiting foreigners in those years with how great the area and Japan in general were doing.

You probably forgot; you are pretty old.

– J.D.

I'm not that fucking old.

This happened in the 1990's.

At the time, I felt like telling them, "Hey, stop acting like China. You don't need to try to impress me. I don't really give a shit and I'm leaving anyway." *

* Little did I know.

Actually, on a slightly more serious note, I believe the entire JET program is basically just a big PR program to overpay a bunch of young foreigners otherwise lacking in any marketable skills and then send them back home with a positive image of Japan. After 30 years, it sure as hell isn't to improve English language education.
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

You mean, like, 3 decades ago?

Nahhhh ... not old. Bet it seems like yesterday. :D :De_Bunk:
This space for let
shuize

Post by shuize »

ed wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:52 am

Yes. Old. But not "WWII intelligence officer" old.

Not bombed out Japan still digging itself out from under the rubble and trying to impress their GHQ masters with their progress old.

And, yes, I remember most of the conversation. I've got a pretty good memory for things I hear. Not as good in Japanese. But not too bad, either.

Of course, like other physical abilities, it worked better in my youth. (Ha! Ha!)
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

shuize wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:56 am
ed wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:52 am

Yes. Old. But not "WWII intelligence officer" old.

Not bombed out Japan still digging itself out from under the rubble and trying to impress their GHQ masters with their progress old.

And, yes, I remember most of the conversation. I've got a pretty good memory for things I hear. Not as good in Japanese. But not too bad, either.

Of course, like other physical abilities, it worked better in my youth. (Ha! Ha!)
Methinks the codger doth protest too much.

<just funnin ya>
This space for let
shuize

Post by shuize »

I'm seeing news stories about Noto and its giant squid everywhere now.

So that $228,000 they spent was certainly a much better PR investment than my old town's empty baseball stadium.*

The problem is, since Japanese government workers are not known for their innovative thinking, now every town from here to Hokkaido is going to think they should do the same.

* Which I'm quite sure cost taxpayers many times more.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Anti-Olympic petition gains tens of thousands of signatures

TOKYO (AP) — An online petition calling for the Tokyo Olympics to be canceled has gained tens of thousands of signatures since being launched in Japan only days ago.

The rollout of the petition comes with Tokyo, Osaka and several other areas under a state of emergency with coronavirus infections rising — particularly new variants. The state of emergency is to expire on May 11, but some reports in Japan say it is likely to be extended.

The postponed Olympics are to open in just under three months on July 23.

The petition is addressed to International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach, who has tentative plans to visit Japan later this month. He is expected to meet the Olympic torch relay on May 17 in Hiroshima, and perhaps also travel to Tokyo where small anti-Olympic are protests being planned.

Although 70-80% of Japanese citizens in polls say they want the Olympics canceled or postponed, there is no indication this will happen. Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga, Tokyo organizing committee president Seiko Hashimoto, and Bach have repeatedly said the games will go on as scheduled.

Organizers and the IOC unveiled so-called Playbooks last week, explaining rules for athletes and others to show how the Olympics can be held in the middle of a pandemic. Several test events have been conducted in the last few days, and organizers have reported few problems.

The Olympic torch relay has been crisscrossing Japan for a month. Organizers say that eight people working on the relay have tested positive for the virus.

The Tokyo Olympics have become a face-saving exercise for Japan, which has officially spent $15.4 billion to prepare them. For the IOC, the Tokyo Olympics are critical since 73% of its income comes from selling television rights.
https://apnews.com/article/olympic-game ... 46a0298849
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

*Prepares an Ice Flow for shuize*

– J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

12-foot python on the loose in my town:

Police hunt for 3.5-meter python last seen May 6
William Shakespeare
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Tōkyō to be stomped constricted in ichi, ni, san. . . .

– J.D.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Anaxagoras wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:26 am 12-foot python on the loose in my town:

Police hunt for 3.5-meter python last seen May 6
:Hungry2: But who will be on the menu?

Giant sandals displayed to pray for pandemic's end

A pair of giant straw sandals has been put on display in a town near Tokyo to pray for an end to the coronavirus pandemic.

The sandals, over 1.2 meters wide and about five meters long, were installed along a national highway in Nagatoro Town in Saitama Prefecture on Sunday.

A banner praying for the end to the pandemic was set up alongside the sandals, and a Shinto ritual was held.

The prefecture's Chichibu region, where the town is located, has a tradition of hanging straw sandals to drive away plagues.

The custom, called "fusegi," involves displaying the sandals at the entrance to farmland. It is still handed down in several places.

Legend has it that the sandals scare away the god of plagues by showing it that a giant is nearby.

The president of an association which aims to preserve this tradition said members worked together to create the pair of huge and firm sandals to fight the virus.
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20210510_10/

:mrgreen:
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Legend has it that the sandals scare away the god of plagues by showing it that a giant is nearby.
Sounds legit.

Cause if there's one thing a god is afraid of, it's a giant. Also, gods are easy to fool.
William Shakespeare
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

William Shakespeare
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Anaxagoras wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:15 am
Sounds legit.

Cause if there's one thing a god is afraid of, it's a giant. Also, gods are easy to fool.
What if the giant treads on a thorn or slips on a dog turd. It's fucked then isn't it? I'd bet on the plague god every time against a no-sandalled giant in foliage loaded with camouflaged dog excrement.

I wonder what the all-time historical results table looks like. Probably 17-12 or something like that in favor of the god. This would indicate that sandals are not an overall effective method of repelling airborne diseases.

Maybe loafers.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

I'm sure I came up with Twatter first. ~ Moi
I only steal from the rich. :BigGrin3: ~ Witness
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Japan ruling party renews its push to revise pacifist Constitution

Japan's governing party is renewing its push for its long-cherished goal of revising the country's pacifist Constitution, saying effective anti-coronavirus measures such as lockdowns aren't possible without an emergency clause in the charter providing enforcement and the limiting of private rights.

The powerful Lower House of parliament, controlled by the governing party, on Tuesday approved revisions to a national referendum law that would lay the groundwork for a possible future vote on a charter revision. Constitutional amendments, however, remain a long shot because the hurdles are extremely high.

The bill, which facilitates voting in a referendum, now goes to the less powerful Upper House for expected approval by mid-June.

The U.S.-drafted Constitution has never been revised since it took effect in 1947 during the U.S. occupation of Japan after its World War II defeat. Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga’s conservative Liberal Democratic Party has long viewed the Constitution as a reminder of Japan's humiliating defeat and made constitutional revision a key party platform.

The party strengthened its efforts for a revision under Suga’s predecessor, Shinzo Abe, known for his nationalistic historical views and his support for a paternalistic society led by the emperor.

Abe proposed changes to the Constitution, which renounces the use of force in settling international disputes, to officially give the country's Self-Defense Force the status of a full-fledged military, though experts say it isn't necessary because the SDF is already accepted internationally as the country’s military.

Critics say the amendments proposed by the governing party reflect its view that Japan should be a “normal nation” with a full military, a stronger government and a society in which individual basic rights can be compromised for the national interest in times of emergency.
http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14346719
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

60% feel it is hard to raise children in Japan: gov't survey
A total of 61.1 percent of people in Japan believe it is hard to raise children in the country, according to a recent government survey, which highlighted a perception of insufficient support for parenting compared with other nations.

In contrast, overwhelming majorities in Sweden, France and Germany said in the survey conducted by Japan's Cabinet Office that it was easy to raise children in those countries.
William Shakespeare
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Hey Anax, you raised Children in Japan, what is your take on the survey?
shuize

Post by shuize »

Witness wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:14 am
Japan ruling party renews its push to revise pacifist Constitution

Japan's governing party is renewing its push for its long-cherished goal of revising the country's pacifist Constitution, saying effective anti-coronavirus measures such as lockdowns aren't possible without an emergency clause in the charter providing enforcement and the limiting of private rights.

The powerful Lower House of parliament, controlled by the governing party, on Tuesday approved revisions to a national referendum law that would lay the groundwork for a possible future vote on a charter revision. Constitutional amendments, however, remain a long shot because the hurdles are extremely high.

Spoiler:

The bill, which facilitates voting in a referendum, now goes to the less powerful Upper House for expected approval by mid-June.

The U.S.-drafted Constitution has never been revised since it took effect in 1947 during the U.S. occupation of Japan after its World War II defeat. Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga’s conservative Liberal Democratic Party has long viewed the Constitution as a reminder of Japan's humiliating defeat and made constitutional revision a key party platform.

The party strengthened its efforts for a revision under Suga’s predecessor, Shinzo Abe, known for his nationalistic historical views and his support for a paternalistic society led by the emperor.

Abe proposed changes to the Constitution, which renounces the use of force in settling international disputes, to officially give the country's Self-Defense Force the status of a full-fledged military, though experts say it isn't necessary because the SDF is already accepted internationally as the country’s military.

Critics say the amendments proposed by the governing party reflect its view that Japan should be a “normal nation” with a full military, a stronger government and a society in which individual basic rights can be compromised for the national interest in times of emergency.
http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14346719

It may be politically difficult to amend the Japanese constitution but the procedure itself is easier than in the States.

The first step is the same: Two-thirds of the national legislature pass the proposed amendment.

The second step is where it gets easy.

While we then require ratification by three-fourths of the state legislatures, Japan merely requires a majority vote by the citizenry.
shuize

Post by shuize »

Grammatron wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:23 pm Hey Anax, you raised Children in Japan, what is your take on the survey?

I know the question was directed to Anax.

But from my experience raising kids in Japan seemed much harder than it needed to be.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Grammatron wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:23 pm Hey Anax, you raised Children in Japan, what is your take on the survey?
I tend to agree. It's not easy. But I also kinda feel like raising kids is hard in general. In Japan, traditionally there has not been a lot of help either. It's definitely a two-person job. I couldn't imagine doing it alone.
William Shakespeare