Ask me about Star Trek, SC edition

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
gnome

Ask me about Star Trek, SC edition

Post by gnome »

By request... ok, bring it on...

Ny, referring to any part of Star Trek at all...

Bearguin:
Why was it that Scotty, in one of the episodes, stated they couldn't fire phasers with their shields up even though they did it all the time in battle?
Embarassingly, you'll have to refresh my memory. That would be a pretty silly limitation.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

What's a Transwarp drive and why do they no longer use it?
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Isn't Nomad/Tanru way cool?

And V'ger is totally stupid shit, right?

:D
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
Bearguin
Title: Thankless Bastard!

Re: Ask me about Star Trek, SC edition

Post by Bearguin »

gnome wrote:By request... ok, bring it on...

Ny, referring to any part of Star Trek at all...

Bearguin:
Why was it that Scotty, in one of the episodes, stated they couldn't fire phasers with their shields up even though they did it all the time in battle?
Embarassingly, you'll have to refresh my memory. That would be a pretty silly limitation.
I'm trying to find it. I remember it because I remember asking the question years ago and never getting a good answer. But google is not helping.
CHARLEY_BIGTIME

Post by CHARLEY_BIGTIME »

Grammatron wrote:What's a Transwarp drive and why do they no longer use it?
Up your shaft.
Bearguin

Post by Bearguin »

Do the question have to be canon, or can I ask something from "How much for just the planet"?
CHARLEY_BIGTIME

Re: Ask me about Star Trek, SC edition

gnome wrote:

You are not supposed to ask questions like that - because it isn't real.

Hth.
Bearguin

Post by Bearguin »

What's the first word on page 93 of "Nightshade"? 1992 soft cover edition?

Hint. It's a proper name.
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Bearguin wrote:What's the first word on page 93 of "Nightshade"? 1992 soft cover edition?

"Ed"
This space for let
Bearguin

Post by Bearguin »

ed wrote:
Bearguin wrote:What's the first word on page 93 of "Nightshade"? 1992 soft cover edition?

"Ed"
Nope.
SquishyDave

Post by SquishyDave »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: And V'ger is totally stupid shit, right?

I can field this one.

Yes, yes it is.
Squishy doesn't irritate the hell out of me. - [url=http://www.skepticalcommunity.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=10266]Quester_X[/url]
We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me.
gnome

Post by gnome »

Grammatron wrote:What's a Transwarp drive and why do they no longer use it?
Ok, taking these on in the order received... that's for YOU De_Bunk!

A sticky question never really resolved on screen. Various printed materials have provided three speculations.

The FASA RPG and technical writings of Shane Johnson suppose that the transporters are beaming the warp bubble in front of the ship. ETA: Ludicrous, in my opinion.

Another body of work known as "Technical Fandom" -- the most consistent and prolific set at one time, known for containing blueprints and ship registries... goes by the definition in a book called the Officer Requirements Manual, "...an experimental system based upon harnessing the reduction of space/time fabric resistance experienced by a vessel in a wormhole situation". Basically they're exploiting the "wormhole effect" seen in Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Another theory that got some play in the Pocket Books novels is shaky in my memory, but I seem to recall it being a new kind of warp field discovered by studying some of the interphase effects near Tholian Space.

As for why it was discontinued, the ORM has a few ideas, mostly due to the impracticality of finding a tunnel of open space long enough to sustain ultra-high warp, the inability to maneuver while in high warp, and construction issues making the nacelles capable of both Transwarp and regular warp drive. Another book called the "Ingram Class Blueprints" suggests that it never performed as well as hoped for without sacrificing safety factors, and a Pocket Books novel, "Battlestations!" mentions that its functioning requires "trilithium" crystals, which are rare and discussed the difficulties of producing/using that material.

ETA: By some reckoning it was a great success, and was added to NCC-1701A.. which might explain how they got to the center of the galaxy so quickly in Star Trek V... but I think that's mainly more Shane Johnson/FASA/SFC crap.

Boy that was a mouthful. HTH.

Gotta go though, other's questions to be answered later.
Last edited by gnome on Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
Cool Hand

Post by Cool Hand »

Goddammit this forum sucks. I'm going back over THERE.

:roll:

CH
....life purpose is pay taxes -- pillory 12/05/13

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

"Time" -- Pink Floyd
CHARLEY_BIGTIME

gnome wrote:
Boy that was a mouthful.

I've heard that once already tonight.

etc.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Okay, gnome.

What are the names of the various Orbs of the Prophets in DS9?
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Nyarlathotep wrote:Okay, gnome.

He said Star Trek. :x

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:

Actually, DS9 (more specifically, the last couple of seasons of DS9, witht he war against the Dominion) is my favorite part of Trek. The brave honest square jawed/long legged (depending on gender) heroic minions of Starfleet that inhabited TOS and TNG just seemed a bit TOO perfect for my taste. DS9 showed the 'darker' side of the Federation and what ordinary people were like, I found that far more interesting. Voyager had a bit of that too, but I just never found it as compelling as DS9. Enterprise didn't even feel like Trek at all.

Yeah, I know a lot of people consider DS9 to be the 'Red Headed Stepchild' of Trek, but I don't care, it's still MY favorite.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Abdul Alhazred wrote:

Actually, DS9 (more specifically, the last couple of seasons of DS9, witht he war against the Dominion) is my favorite part of Trek. The brave honest square jawed/long legged (depending on gender) heroic minions of Starfleet that inhabited TOS and TNG just seemed a bit TOO perfect for my taste. DS9 showed the 'darker' side of the Federation and what ordinary people were like, I found that far more interesting. Voyager had a bit of that too, but I just never found it as compelling as DS9. Enterprise didn't even feel like Trek at all.

Yeah, I know a lot of people consider DS9 to be the 'Red Headed Stepchild' of Trek, but I don't care, it's still MY favorite.
Seconded.
gnome

Post by gnome »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Isn't Nomad/Tanru way cool?

And V'ger is totally stupid shit, right?

I prefer Nomad/Tanru myself... what a doctor it would have made...

I enjoy ST:TMP primarily as a Trek historian... there's a lot of important stuff in it.
--Soldier, TF2
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Nyarlathotep wrote:Yeah, I know a lot of people consider DS9 to be the 'Red Headed Stepchild' of Trek, but I don't care, it's still MY favorite.
Your favorite what?

It isn't Star Trek, and neither is that thing with the froggy-woggy captain and the alleged Klingons who are really nice black people.