Ask me about Star Trek, SC edition

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
gnome

Re: Ask me about Star Trek, SC edition

Post by gnome »

With two different new shows going on and a handful on deck, seems like a fine time to give this one a bump. Anyone got any more questions?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

How long before they realize left wing sentiment does not make up for it sucking?

Please note, TOS was heavy on the left wing sentiment and wouldn't have been as good if they had toned it down.

Left wing sentiment is absolutely not a problem at all, it is merely that it also has to not suck.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

How long before they realize left wing sentiment does not make up for it sucking?
Well, it is about the future.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

I'm sure I came up with Twatter first. ~ Moi
I only steal from the rich. :BigGrin3: ~ Witness
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Where we will spend . . . the REST . . . of OUR LIVES!

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

I have a question: How is this disguise fooling anyone?

Image :notsure:
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
gnome

Post by gnome »

Anaxagoras wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:07 am I have a question: How is this disguise fooling anyone?

:notsure:
I know, she's not exactly hiding her most recognizable features.

Ok, my answer to the real question about Picard's disguise--I consider it a visual conceit for the audience, like being able to see the energy beams in space. It must be presumed that he is less recognizable to those present than his literal appearance would suggest. A fairly standard TV tradition even if it's a bit old. The Paper-Thin Disguise
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

It's like Superman as Clark Kent. 8)

But it isn't Star Trek. :p

gnome

Post by gnome »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:30 pm How long before they realize left wing sentiment does not make up for it sucking?

Please note, TOS was heavy on the left wing sentiment and wouldn't have been as good if they had toned it down.

Left wing sentiment is absolutely not a problem at all, it is merely that it also has to not suck.
For the creators to intend the political values to make up for the suck, would require them realizing the level of suck.

Now, that said, I'm still interested in where things wind up. Discovery has taken a premise for season 3 that has a lot of potential, and Season 2 was already a good deal better than season 1. Picard's season 1 is also better than Discovery season 1, despite its flaws.

It is worth remembering that (TOS aside) the first seasons of a Trek installment are usually the weakest.
--Soldier, TF2
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

CL00: Making the bug eyed monster look like Trump sucks as political commentary let alone science fiction.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:55 am CL00: Making the bug eyed monster look like Trump sucks as political commentary let alone science fiction.
Did they actually do that?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
gnome

Post by gnome »

Anaxagoras wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:07 pm
Abdul Alhazred wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:55 am CL00: Making the bug eyed monster look like Trump sucks as political commentary let alone science fiction.
Did they actually do that?
If there was a bug-eyed monster in any current Trek I didn't notice.
--Soldier, TF2
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

I've been rewatching ST:TNG and I think what stood out for me the most is lack of any drone use or even probe use in plots. Even when sending Data would be prudent a team of living beings is sent instead.

Is there ever a reason given for aversion to the use of robots?
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Grammatron wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:20 pm I've been rewatching ST:TNG and I think what stood out for me the most is lack of any drone use or even probe use in plots. Even when sending Data would be prudent a team of living beings is sent instead.

There are certain Asimov stories where the galactic empire's lack of robots is explained as the result of superstition.

In some of the later stories, this is retconned so that the robots hiding in the background pulling the strings are encouraging that superstition.

Maybe something like that, unexplained because the people of the Star Trek era simply take it for granted that the robot thing is "not done". :coolspecs:

Could be some evil empire of Star Trek's past made extensive use of robots, pretty much souring everybody on the whole robot business.

Anton Coridian's regime, or that of Donald Trump. :BigGrin3:

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:25 pm
Grammatron wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:20 pm I've been rewatching ST:TNG and I think what stood out for me the most is lack of any drone use or even probe use in plots. Even when sending Data would be prudent a team of living beings is sent instead.

There are certain Asimov stories where the galactic empire's lack of robots is explained as the result of superstition.

In some of the later stories, this is retconned so that the robots hiding in the background pulling the strings are encouraging that superstition.

Maybe something like that, unexplained because the people of the Star Trek era simply take it for granted that the robot thing is "not done". :coolspecs:

Could be some evil empire of Star Trek's past made extensive use of robots, pretty much souring everybody on the whole robot business.

Anton Coridian's regime, or that of Donald Trump. :BigGrin3:
The Foundation series --however you want to incorporate prequels, sequels, etc.. -- has clear reasons for not using robots.

I have not perceive the same reasons in Star Trek. In fact they send probes out all the time, just less than they should. Sometimes taking the Enterprise or shuttles into incredible danger where a disposable probe would have been perfectly safe and proper to use.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Because they had rights. Obviously.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Hotarubi wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:36 pm

Considering how many times Federation scientists wanted to take Data apart, they had "rights" at best.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Grammatron wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:41 pm
Hotarubi wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:36 pm

Considering how many times Federation scientists wanted to take Data apart, they had "rights" at best.
Didn't Leodegrance of Sunstone help establish those rights in the second series?

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Cameliard! Cameliard!

– J. "For it is the Doom of Men that They Forget!" D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Doctor X wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:09 am Cameliard! Cameliard!

– J. "For it is the Doom of Men that They Forget!" D.
Never did quite fathom Boorman's insistance on using Wagner and Orff in a film about an English King. Works though. Boy does it work.

But y'know. Churmans.

"It is the old wound!"

Giz

Post by Giz »

Wait, are you saying that sending an away team consisting of all the senior officers (and one yeoman) is not standard naval policy when reaching an unknown, possibly hostile shore ?