Ask me about Star Trek, SC edition

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Grammatron

Re: Ask me about Star Trek, SC edition

Post by Grammatron »

What do you think about the current Star Trek gnome?
gnome

Post by gnome »

In general I'm very optimistic. With several projects going on or proposed, each of very different approaches, the chances of something truly memorable are high. We could be approaching a renaissance of the franchise as significant as 1991.

I'll give a basic run-down of what I think of each:

Discovery: I was very disappointed with the first season, found myself grudgingly enjoying the second season more, and actually quite optimistic about the third.

Short Treks: Excellent experiments in short-form storytelling, and even helped me appreciate Discovery and Picard a little better.

Picard: All in all I was pleased with it. A feeling that they didn't make the best choices on a few things but overall I'm glad it was made.

Lower Decks: Absolutely love it. It's funny and has the mood and aesthetic all but perfect. It's candy for the brain of a Trek fan.

Strange New Worlds: Despite past disappointments, I'm really excited for this show based on the premise, and how much I liked the Enterprise-based characters in Discovery.

Section 31: Feeling a little meh about this one. The best I can say is Michelle Yeoh is talented enough to make even sub-par material enjoyable. But I'm pessimistic about the premise.

Star Trek Prodigy: I may not be the target audience for this, but I like the idea of attracting younger fans. New Trek needs a bigger tent with both Discovery and Picard moving it in a less kid-friendly direction, so we'll see.

Other projects are too speculative and tentative for me to have a definite opinion.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

I enjoyed 'Picard', but I'm an old school asshole. Haven't seen much of 'Discovery', but if Rebecca Romijn is in it, I'll have to make the time to see it.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Thank you for the write up gnome, I appreciate it. I feel you are a bit too optimistic, but then again it's in the spirit of Stat Trek to be optimistic. Could use more of thst.
gnome

Post by gnome »

Ok this was too good a find not to share: a fanzine from the earliest days of Trek fandom (1968). PDF at link.

https://oaktrust.library.tamu.edu/handle/1969.1/157232
In June, we learned from Star Trek's Associate Producer, Robert H. Justman, that the tentatively scheduled season opener (September 15th) will take place, in part, on the planet Vulcan. We have since learned that the show, "Amok Time," was written by no less an author than Theodore Sturgeon. In the course of the program, Spock will meet his assigned wife, for the purpose of satisfying the Vulcan septennial mating drive. Vulcans - or at least Vulcan males (at the moment, we're not quite sure which) must experience sex every seven years, or die. We have been told that the story is handled with the same care and skill that made Star Trek our favorite program in its first season. Look out, September 15th - here we come!
Warning: They like Spock. They really, really like Spock. The short version of this zine:

Spock:
Once upon a Spock,
Spock Spock Spock Spock Spock Spock Spock
The Spock.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2