Skeptics in the News

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
EvilYeti

Re: Skeptics in the News

Post by EvilYeti »

Mentat wrote: I could easily turn that around with 15 years ahead of you in not being rigidly (and "unskeptically") being set in my ways of thinking. The ways of thinking that form bias, prejudice, and an unwillingness to reexamine one's views of others. That's a two way street, playing the age game.
Sorry, experience doesn't work that way. I can put myself back in my "shoes" to when I was your age. You can't put yourself in mine.

And I'm not sympathetic. I've always appreciated the value of experience, even as a younger man.
Of course, to get to know a significant sample of people, age doesn't cut it. Who's to say a certain subset of females choose to be near you (or you choose to be near them) and you only see desired specified attributes? Kinda does not allow for making any decent conclusions.
Do you think I would "choose" to be around people like Rebecca and her supporters? They only reason I have experience with people like that was from being forced to be around them. Either as an undergraduate or when I was affiliated with the JREF.
EvilYeti

Post by EvilYeti »

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx »

scarlet_35 wrote: probably NOT the best idea for a dude to ask a woman out in an elevator early in the morning for the simple fact that it might make her feel uncomfortable for her safety but then again if she was THAT concerned why was she alone in the first place?

Making passes on the way back from parties between the hours of 2-5am in college were frequent behaviors. On sidewalks, in hallways, in dorm elevators.
corplinx

Post by corplinx »

Its a conference. If you don't want to ask the person to enjoy your company at the bar, you have to ask them in a hallway or elevator.
specious_reasons

Post by specious_reasons »

corplinx wrote:
scarlet_35 wrote: probably NOT the best idea for a dude to ask a woman out in an elevator early in the morning for the simple fact that it might make her feel uncomfortable for her safety but then again if she was THAT concerned why was she alone in the first place?
Making passes on the way back from parties between the hours of 2-5am in college were frequent behaviors. On sidewalks, in hallways, in dorm elevators.
Yeah college is where I had all the right ideas about sex.

Seriously, elevators? I'm sorry, but enclosed spaces do not make a good location for a proposition. "I followed you into the supply closet to see if you'd like to go back to my room."

Guys, don't do that.
ta-
DAVE!!!
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

specious_reasons wrote:
corplinx wrote:
Yeah college is where I had all the right ideas about sex.

Seriously, elevators? I'm sorry, but enclosed spaces do not make a good location for a proposition. "I followed you into the supply closet to see if you'd like to go back to my room."

Guys, don't do that.
Harold and Kumar said otherwise.

But seriously, unless you were stalking someone into the elevator, what's the big deal? Two people going back to their room, one propositions. It's not a big fucking deal, the end.
specious_reasons

Post by specious_reasons »

Grammatron wrote: Harold and Kumar said otherwise.

But seriously, unless you were stalking someone into the elevator, what's the big deal? Two people going back to their room, one propositions. It's not a big fucking deal, the end.
It's a reasonable assumption he did follow her into the elevator, which would make it a big lapse in judgement, IMO.

But otherwise, it's not really a big deal. I still hold my opinion that EG had a few lapses of judgement. I personally think elevators are a poor location choice for propositioning, especially in this case. He also made poor choice in not paying attention to the broad obvious signs Rebecca claimed she gave.

What made this a big deal was
- the guy set himself up for a notable rejection, enough that she noted it in a video.
- people got all bent out of shape about it, including Dawkins. People went apeshit, and it didn't deserve the reaction it got.

I'm totally OK with your reaction to the situation. I'm perplexed with how angry corplinx seems to be.
ta-
DAVE!!!
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Post by asthmatic camel »

I'm amazed that anyone really cares. I usually fart in elevators and people get off at the next floor.

Oh well, that's skepticism for you.
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.
corplinx

Post by corplinx »

asthmatic camel wrote:I'm amazed that anyone really cares

Well, it did make Gawker....
EvilYeti

Post by EvilYeti »

scarlet_35 wrote: hmm you know how they "work"??? Are you currently dating someone? Just curious, it's been my experience those who claim to know the most tend to NOT have what they say they know so much about, be it a partner, marriage, or children.
Why on earth would I want to date a woman? Most of the women I have sex with have boyfriends/husbands. I don't want to be *that* guy!
I don't necessarily think talking about elevator dude and what he did is a bad thing, not hearing his side or having video to show exactly what happen, leaves too many assumptions though. How often do guys really ask women out in elevators anyway? Do we even know if it truly did happen? Personally I would never be wondering around at 4 a.m. alone to even be in an elevator alone specially if I had a few drinks, safety first but....I tend to be a little more cautious, people can be freaks and you just never know.
ProTip: If you don't want to be solicited by men, don't hang out drinking in bars until 4AM.
Women can be just as bad as men, I would agree Evil BUT...statistically men are more aggressive, violent, and dangerous than women, odds are a woman is not going to rape and kill you...make fun of you in front of friends? well...sounds very high schoolish to me, don't know where you're meeting women that would do that. Rebecca chastising the elevator dude.....as much as I hate to say it, could be she expressed herself incorrectly, probably NOT the best idea for a dude to ask a woman out in an elevator early in the morning for the simple fact that it might make her feel uncomfortable for her safety but then again if she was THAT concerned why was she alone in the first place?
Skepticism Fail. Women are more likely to abuse, stalk and attack their partners than men.

http://www.physorg.com/news72113800.html

http://www.csulb.edu/~mfiebert/assault.htm
EvilYeti

Post by EvilYeti »

corplinx wrote:
Indeed.

And just like in college, the odd few times it happens to the ugly feminists they scream about objectification, sexual harassment and rape.
corplinx

Post by corplinx »

If Brad Pitt had propositioned her on the elevator, she would have wet herself.

Because it was someone who didn't meet her criteria, it was creepy, in a creepy elevator, with a creepy narrative. Possibly with creepy music playing.
EvilYeti

Post by EvilYeti »

Watch this if you haven't already.

[youtube]QqU9JFbtucU[/youtube]

Edit: Wow, the amount of blowback against Watson is incredible...

corplinx

Post by corplinx »

You see the frustration though.
A. its not important enough to be an issue
B. people feel obliged to respond to prevent silence from being mistaken as consent

I think Rebecca Watson is now a "hardworking idiot".
pillory

Post by pillory »

I KNOW telepathy exists...I have suffered enough

Pillory-deletable stuff since Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:15 pm
pillory

Post by pillory »

only finn knows......olenhan suomalainen...i am finnish.....
Pillory-deletable stuff since Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:15 pm
EvilYeti

Post by EvilYeti »

corplinx wrote:You see the frustration though.
A. its not important enough to be an issue
B. people feel obliged to respond to prevent silence from being mistaken as consent

I think Rebecca Watson is now a "hardworking idiot".
In the interest of fairness I finally read Watson's essay "The Privilege Delusion".

http://skepchick.org/2011/07/the-privilege-delusion/

My only comment is that if she doesn't wanted to be approached by creepy nerds, she literally picked the worst possible social movement to associate herself with. If she is looking for a more balanced, temperate and polite group I'll suggest the Mormons.

The skeptic community in general and the JREF in particular are primarily composed of Omega males. A fact I noted with horror at my first and last TAM back in 2003. I swear some of the guys literally had the stink-lines over their greasy heads and everything.

I'm not optimistic this is going to change anytime soon, either. Go fishing for social outcasts and don't be surprised when you end up with a boat full of bottom-feeders.
corplinx

Post by corplinx »

Is there a single logical argument anywhere in that piece? It seems to be "there are many people who say I am right, so neener neener".

Like I said, hardworking idiot. She forces other into pointless activities. Like this one.
corplinx

Post by corplinx »

I hereby with the powers invested me from having a 1 yr membership with the JREF which expired a decade ago, banish Rebecca Watson from the skeptical movement.

As for her article:
http://skepchick.org/2011/07/the-privilege-delusion/

I present this:
[youtube]WAOxY_nHdew[/youtube]
Ronin

Post by Ronin »

I wonder if this is on "first world problems" yet. It qualifies.