Another "Used to know" variation for Lucas haters

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
gnome

Another "Used to know" variation for Lucas haters

Post by gnome »

Better would have been if Lucas had gone on a rant about how fanboys ruined it all :)
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
robinson2
Title: I can’t be worrying about that

Re: Another "Used to know" variation for Lucas haters

Post by robinson2 »

In these trying times, this video gives perspective

In 4 years nobody will remember the events of Jan 2021
"This aggression will not stand, man."
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
robinson2
Title: I can’t be worrying about that

Post by robinson2 »

Not a living soul remembers Jan 20 2012
"This aggression will not stand, man."
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

In the long run, all history is forgotten.

I mean quick, without using any books or the internet, tell me what major events happen in 1362. Tell me what a typical French nobleman of that era dressed like that year.

On a long enough scale, all history fades into a blur
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

The problems with 1362 are going to be survival bias and lack of literacy, that historians need to sift through to get to the bottom of things. Remembering things from the last 100 years should be easier.

On a long enough scale we have entropy.
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Post by robinson »

The Tulsa race massacre happened 100 years ago

Almost nobody knows about it, and almost nobody cares.
still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris
gnome

Post by gnome »

Knowledge of that enjoyed quite a revival in 2019, due to the popularity of the HBO "Watchmen" series. I honestly had only first heard about it myself a year earlier than that. Quite shocking how few people know about it. A lot of people that think back to that era might remember Rosewood, but that's about it.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

gnome wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:54 am Knowledge of that enjoyed quite a revival in 2019, due to the popularity of the HBO "Watchmen" series. I honestly had only first heard about it myself a year earlier than that. Quite shocking how few people know about it. A lot of people that think back to that era might remember Rosewood, but that's about it.

It also got heavy use in Lovecraft Country
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

There's still a living survivor.
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Nyarlathotep wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:36 am In the long run, all history is forgotten.

I mean quick, without using any books or the internet, tell me what major events happen in 1362.
English replaced French in Law courts in England. I think.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

I'm sure I came up with Twatter first. ~ Moi
I only steal from the rich. :BigGrin3: ~ Witness
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

gnome wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:54 am Knowledge of that enjoyed quite a revival in 2019, due to the popularity of the HBO "Watchmen" series. I honestly had only first heard about it myself a year earlier than that. Quite shocking how few people know about it. A lot of people that think back to that era might remember Rosewood, but that's about it.
Quick ... where was Treblinka?
This space for let
ed

Post by ed »

Nyarlathotep wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:36 am In the long run, all history is forgotten.

I mean quick, without using any books or the internet, tell me what major events happen in 1362. Tell me what a typical French nobleman of that era dressed like that year.

Well, in January, Goodwife Mongerson killed 5 rats in the celler of the pub she was working in in Nottingham. Later that month, the Thames crested above the average for the previous 5 years. The Court Astrologers blamed Global Warming. The last Great Werm was killed in Shropshire. The head is tell in the bowels of the Tower in a box labeled "Linen".

A total of 17 meteors were seen on the night of March 17th. The Catch of Whiting surpassed the expectations of the Loyal Fellowship of Fishmongers.

There is more.
This space for let
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

ed wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:58 pm

Well, in January, Goodwife Mongerson killed 5 rats in the celler of the pub she was working in in Nottingham. Later that month, the Thames crested above the average for the previous 5 years. The Court Astrologers blamed Global Warming. The last Great Werm was killed in Shropshire. The head is tell in the bowels of the Tower in a box labeled "Linen".

A total of 17 meteors were seen on the night of March 17th. The Catch of Whiting surpassed the expectations of the Loyal Fellowship of Fishmongers.

There is more.
“ "In December 1980 an Apple will arise no man can eat. Invest thy money in Master Jobbes's machine and good fortune will tend thy days."”

Reminded me of the prophecies from “Good Omens”
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Grammatron wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:24 am The problems with 1362 are going to be survival bias and lack of literacy, that historians need to sift through to get to the bottom of things. Remembering things from the last 100 years should be easier.

On a long enough scale we have entropy.
Kinda my point. As people who remember things die off and events fade deeper and deeper into history books, awareness of things recedes
robinson

Post by robinson »

There is also the deliberate deletion and obscuring of history, because it bothers those in charge.
gnome

Post by gnome »

For example?
--Soldier, TF2
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Yeah, my first thought was The Black Death, which was not too far off. I had to look it up of course to remember the exact years, but I was right to place it in that century. The Black Death was from 1346-53, and so 1362 would have been a mere 9 years after that. It wasn't even totally over, because the plague kept cropping up here and there for centuries after that. So it would have been an interesting time. Half the population of Europe had just died and they would have hardly recovered from that yet.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
ed

Post by ed »

robinson wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:06 am There is also the deliberate deletion and obscuring of history, because it bothers those in charge.
gnome wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:40 amFor example?
Really?
This space for let
robinson

Post by robinson »

ed wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:55 am
robinson wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:06 am There is also the deliberate deletion and obscuring of history, because it bothers those in charge.
Really?
One reason I don't take his "questions" seriously. Nobody can be that clueless.
robinson

Post by robinson »

The history of science is a rich trove of history being changed, or hidden. Pretty much every last scientific truth we now "know is true" was once the dogma that was overturned. But you hardly know of it.
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Really?
Not an example, Ed. :bigthumb:
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

I'm sure I came up with Twatter first. ~ Moi
I only steal from the rich. :BigGrin3: ~ Witness
gnome

Post by gnome »

robinson wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:44 pm
Really?
One reason I don't take his "questions" seriously. Nobody can be that clueless.
I didn't know you were going for something that obvious, I thought you had something more recent in mind.

As a general statement you're absolutely right.
--Soldier, TF2
Witness

Post by Witness »

Our geographical awareness works similarly: farther away places are "less important".

But there is also something positive in letting the past, or at least the worst of it, slip into oblivion or we would still be reasoning like our ancestors, arguing what seemed important to them – slavery is natural, you have to burn the witches and the heretics, and really a good old wooden club is so much better than these new-fangled chipped stone axes.
robinson

Post by robinson »

Let's ride this sidetrack all the way to the end of the line
robinson

Post by robinson »

In the last three years, three "new" organs have been discovered in the human body. Of course all three are "maybe new" to the consensus, nobody is giving up credit for a new organ yet. Like with the interstitium, a lot of hand waving and ignorance follows, and then someday its added to the anatomy textbooks.

Same for the next two, you probably don't even know about either one. (if you do, you are awesome)