200 Dead On Everest

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
shemp
Title: crazy as fuck

Re: 200 Dead On Everest

Post by shemp » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:38 am

robinson wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:20 am
Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:03 am
How about a series of indoor escalators with pressurized cabins and airlocks every so often?
During the cold season (most of the year) it is easier to get to the surface of the moon than to the top of Everest. Actually, even in summer it is simply impossible to get to the top of Everest during a storm.

Men have walked on the moon multiple times. But nobody has ever gone up Everest during a storm, or when it is not summer. It's actually impossible, no matter how much money and effort you spend on it. Even if you could build something up that high, you can't maintain it. Actually, you couldn't even build it. The ice field (glacier) you have to cross is impossible to build a structure on. Which is exactly why you can't build anything. There is no way to build a road to deliver men and materials to even start the project.

You could air lift everything in, but the two month window when you could try and build a base to start building from isn't long enough to build a base to start building. And even if you tried, by the time you get back to the site (10 months later) you face such a massive clearing and repair to the start of the base you end up never making an progress. And of course the powers that be aren't going to approve any of it.

But it's good to have a dream.
Not so. Everest has been climbed in all seasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Eve ... n_climbing
Although generally less popular than spring, Mount Everest has also been climbed in the autumn (also called the "post-monsoon season").[62][269] For example, in 2010 Eric Larsen and five Nepali guides summited Everest in the autumn for the first time in ten years.[269] The first mainland British ascent of Mount Everest (Hillary was from New Zealand), which was also the first ascent via a face rather than a ridge, was the autumn 1975 Southwest Face expedition led by Chris Bonington.[270] The autumn season, when the monsoon ends, is regarded as more dangerous because there is typically a lot of new snow which can be unstable.[271] However, this increased snow can make it more popular with certain winter sports like skiing and snowboarding.[62] Two Japanese also summited in October 1973.[272]

Chris Chandler and Bob Cormack summited Everest in October 1976 as part of the American Bicentennial Everest Expedition that year, the first Americans to make an autumn ascent of Mount Everest according to the Los Angeles Times.[273] By the 21st century, summer and autumn can be more popular with skiing and snowboard attempts on Mount Everest.[274] During the 1980s, climbing in autumn was actually more popular than in spring.[275] U.S. astronaut Karl Gordon Henize died in October 1993 on an autumn expedition, conducting an experiment on radiation. The amount of background radiation increases with higher altitudes.[276]

The mountain has also been climbed in the winter, but that is not popular because of the combination of cold high winds and shorter days.[277] By January the peak is typically battered by 170 mph (270 km/h) winds and the average temperature of the summit is around −33 °F (−36 °C).[62]
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:13 am

Elon could do it. He could use his Falcon Heavys to airlift a hyperlink tunnel up to the peak and then drive his Tesla up there and tweet something.

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:14 am

Elon could do anything.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

robinson
Title: Hmmm ...

Post by robinson » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:51 am

Of course one can argue with bullshit. It's a defining feature of the internet
You never know what's going to happen, then some shit happens nobody saw coming, then later somebody says they knew it was coming, then some new shit happens nobody saw coming, rinse and repeat

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:10 pm

Elon could kick Chuck Norris's ass with one hand and Captain Kirk's ass with the other.
Such potential!

shemp
Title: crazy as fuck

Post by shemp » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:03 am

Elon is just another rich blowhard asshole. Not only could Chuck Norris kick the shit out of him, even Bill Shatner could too.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:44 pm

Best viewed full screen.

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:04 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:44 pm
Best viewed full screen.

Is that Elon in the pilots seat?
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:17 pm

Elon? Some sort of greasy wog?

I should say not!
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.