200 Dead On Everest

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Re: 200 Dead On Everest

Post by Pyrrho » Mon May 27, 2019 11:16 pm

New Jersey?
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue May 28, 2019 1:06 am

Article on why everyone climbs in May:
Why Does Everyone Climb Everest in May? (Popular Mechanics, 2012)
It comes down to snow, temperature, and wind. "Mount Everest protrudes into the stratosphere, and most of the year the summit is buffeted by winds of over 100 miles per hour that will kill a climber in minutes or even hurtle them into the void," All told Popular Mechanics. "It is only during the onset or cession of the Asian Monsoon that these winds die down and allow climbers short seven- to 10-day windows to climb the mountain."

The highest recorded wind speed at the summit was a 175 mph in February 2004. For reference, a Category 5 hurricane has sustained wind speeds of at least 157 mph. Throughout the winter, hurricane-force winds pummel the summit for three days out of four.

The two windows in which those wild winds die down happen in May and September. But snow falls during the September calm, so fresh snow drifts offset the break from the wind. That's why so many people try the ascent in May, All says.
So it's the best time for the weather conditions, but it also means that most of the people who want to climb Everest in a given year all arrive at the same time.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

robinson
Title: Be good to each other

Post by robinson » Tue May 28, 2019 7:17 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:08 pm
I mean, where else does a person drop dead and everyone else just keeps going about their business, stepping over the body.
Bangkok
You never know what's going to happen, then some shit happens nobody saw coming, then later somebody says they knew it was coming, then some new shit happens nobody saw coming, rinse and repeat

Bruce
Title: Bruce of all Bruces

Post by Bruce » Tue May 28, 2019 11:08 pm

robinson wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 7:17 am
Anaxagoras wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:08 pm
I mean, where else does a person drop dead and everyone else just keeps going about their business, stepping over the body.
Bangkok
But the queens they use would not excite you. I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine.
Such potential!