Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
shuize

Re: Japan

Post by shuize » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:58 am

Doctor X wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:35 am
In Japan, they would have tossed her ass in jail.

She could at least claim that she did not attempt to bring in an illegal weapon into the country since she surrendered it prior to entering the country.

Yes, I understand that. But if she was carrying it on her person, in her purse, etc., what are the chances Japanese customs would even have searched her?

If I hadn't known about the #metoo advantage, I would have thought the unlikely chance of getting caught with it entering Japan would have outweighed the certain punishment she would receive from the U.S. side by notifying the cabin crew mid-flight.

You are correct about how she was treated by American authorities. It will be "interesting" to see how she was able to board the plane with such and what will happen to all those who failed to discover it.

If they're not prosecuting her, my guess is we'll never hear another word about it.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:36 am

Unfortunately, you are probably correct about the last point.

As for whether they would search her, I do not know. But now you are stuck with a gun in Japan. What do you do with it? How do you dispose it? Assuming it is registered in USA!USA!USA! when she goes home and reports it stolen it will look rather weird should the Japanese ever find it. All of that is much more risky. Unless she is stupid enough to try to bring it back to America.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:07 am

I assume this doesn't have anything to do with the government shutdown?

TSA is "essential" isn't it?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:17 am

Yes, the Democrats are to blame.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:26 am

Under the circumstances, I think she made the best choice. She might have made it through customs in Japan, but that's too big a risk to take. Trying to take it back on the return flight would be an even bigger risk. If you get it into Japan, maybe go out in the woods somewhere and bury it. Can't just throw it in the trash can.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:32 am

I am assuming that since she brought it up, she is just an idiot.

Too stupid to own a gun.

Seriously.

You should not forget that you have something like that on your person.

--J.D.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:37 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:07 am

TSA is not getting paid.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:53 am

Rob Lister wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:37 am
Anaxagoras wrote:

TSA is not getting paid.
So they have to show up, but they might not be very motivated to do their jobs. I once went through a government shutdown when I was in the Navy and while there was some grumbling and complaining, people still did their jobs because you could get in serious trouble if you didn't. And you knew you would be paid eventually. With TSA, the worst thing that can happen to them is to be fired (unless they actually commit a crime, but that would be hard to prove). They can't have their liberty revoked or be given extra duties like in the military.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:58 am

You still had your rum, sodomy, and the lash.

--J.D.

shuize

Post by shuize » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:04 am

Doctor X wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:36 am
Unfortunately, you are probably correct about the last point.

As for whether they would search her, I do not know. But now you are stuck with a gun in Japan. What do you do with it? How do you dispose it? Assuming it is registered in USA!USA!USA! when she goes home and reports it stolen it will look rather weird should the Japanese ever find it. All of that is much more risky. Unless she is stupid enough to try to bring it back to America.

--J.D.
Anaxagoras wrote:Under the circumstances, I think she made the best choice. She might have made it through customs in Japan, but that's too big a risk to take. Trying to take it back on the return flight would be an even bigger risk. If you get it into Japan, maybe go out in the woods somewhere and bury it. Can't just throw it in the trash can.

I don't know much about federal crimes. But a quick internet search turns up 49 U.S.C. § 46505 - Carrying a weapon or explosive on an aircraft. Up to 10 years. Telling the cabin crew is only the "best" choice if her #metoo advantage saves her from prosecution in the States.

As to what I'd do? I wouldn't carry a gun on a fucking airplane for starters. But, hypothetically, if faced with that problem, fuck burying it. I'd buy a file, obliterate the serial number (I know, another crime), take it apart, take a ferry ride, and drop the pieces in the ocean. Then plan on maybe not visiting Japan for a while.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:14 am

In other Japan News, the former CEO of Nissan, Carlos Ghosn, appeared in court:

Ghosn insists he has been 'wrongly accused and unfairly detained'
TOKYO -- Former Nissan Motor Chairman Carlos Ghosn denied the accusations against him at a court hearing on Tuesday in his first public appearance since his arrest on Nov. 19.

"I am an innocent of the accusations made against me," Ghosn said in a roughly 10-minute statement in English.

"I have been wrongly accused and unfairly detained based on meritless and unsubstantiated accusations," he said.

"Let me say that I have genuine love and appreciation for Nissan," Ghosn said.

He said he had "acted honorably, legally and with the knowledge and approval of the appropriate executives inside the company."

Ghosn, wearing a black suit, was led into the Tokyo District Court with his hands cuffed to a rope around his waist after having met his lawyer Motonari Otsuru for roughly 30 minutes. His hands were released as he sat down.

In reference to accusations of passing on to Nissan about 1.85 billion yen ($17 million) in personal losses from foreign exchange contracts, Ghosn argued that these currency hedges were related to Nissan's insistence that he be paid his salary in Japanese currency. He had entered into the contracts, backed by Nissan shares as collateral, to protect himself against currency movements, as his expenses were all in U.S. dollars.

He had asked the automaker to temporarily take on the collateral when the financial crisis in October 2008 led to a sharp drop in Nissan shares. The request, he said, had been "so long as it came to no cost to the company." The contracts were "then transferred back to me without Nissan incurring any loss," Ghosn said.

The executive is also accused of paying a Saudi acquaintance 1.6 billion yen in company funds. He asserted that Khaled Juffali was a "long-time supporter and partner" of the automaker who was "appropriately compensated" for "critical services that substantially benefited Nissan."

Ghosn also said he kept "a record of the market compensation" for his role, based on offers that he had been made to take the helm at other automakers, but this was done for his own reference and had no legal effect.

"I never received any compensation from Nissan that was not disclosed, nor did I ever enter into any binding contract with Nissan to be paid a fixed amount that was not disclosed," he said.

He closed his statement with an assertion of his commitment to Nissan, mentioning the improvement in financial results and the revival of key brands during his tenure, as well as the introduction of Mitsubishi Motors to the Renault-Nissan alliance.

The court last week approved prosecutor requests to keep Ghosn in custody until Jan. 11, prompting his legal team to request a hearing at which the prosecution must set out the reasons for his continued detention, a rarely exercised right provided under Article 34 of Japan's constitution.

The executive, who remains chief of Renault, has been arrested a total of three times since being detained initially on allegations of underreporting his compensation. He has also been accused of breach of trust over a scheme in which he allegedly transferred personal trading losses to Nissan.

His prolonged detention has brought renewed international scrutiny of Japan's criminal justice system, which lets prosecutors keep suspects in custody for extended periods and prohibits lawyers from being present during interrogations that can last several hours.

Ghosn's 24-year-old son, Anthony, recently told French weekly Journal du Dimanche that in the Japanese judicial system the defendant cannot have a complete vision of the documents of prosecutors, as they only "reveal little by little" the elements they possess.

Few defendants use the process Ghosn is employing as it tends to yield few legal benefits. Of the 104,529 detentions approved by the courts in fiscal 2017, the Article 34 provision had been tapped in just 583 cases, or 0.55%.

The detention period for the latest allegations will expire on Friday, when prosecutors must decide whether or not to pursue charges of aggravated breach of trust. Ghosn will then be allowed to apply for bail, but could also be rearrested on new allegations.
This is why you do not want to be arrested in Japan.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:17 am

shuize wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:04 am
Telling the cabin crew is only the "best" choice if her #metoo advantage saves her from prosecution in the States.
See Anax's Mom's post above regarding the legal system in Japan.

I think we all agree that she is an idiot.

--J.D.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:21 pm

If it wasn't registered she should have stuck it in the lav just before landing (after having wiped it of course) and then simply gone on about her life.

Had it been registered I'd do the same thing but then email Delta once safely ensconced in my hotel and ask them to send it to my home in the USA. Take the high ground and assume that they will do your bidding.

Or, maybe better yet, get a lawyer to make the call.

But I'd be damn sure that I put miles between the gun and me before I did anything. Oh, yeah, flush the ammo.

ETA or explain how Lister packed your luggage. Tell them his history of entertainment and technical recommendations. He'll probably get the chair.
Last edited by ed on Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:21 pm

Why didn't she just order the plane to turn around?

ed

Post by ed » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:25 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:14 am
In other Japan News, the former CEO of Nissan, Carlos Ghosn, appeared in court:

This is why you do not want to be arrested in Japan.
Or in Europe, ask Amanda Knox.

shuize

Post by shuize » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:26 pm

Doctor X wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:17 am
shuize wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:04 am
Telling the cabin crew is only the "best" choice if her #metoo advantage saves her from prosecution in the States.
See Anax's Mom's post above regarding the legal system in Japan.

I think we all agree that she is an idiot.

--J.D.

I know a bit about the legal system in Japan. Although I'm only recently starting to catch up on the Ghosn case. I'm not sure I have all the information yet, but Japanese prosecutors definitely have a hard on for him.

As for our hypothetical gun case, if I were in the woman's shoes and actually got caught at customs, I'd play on all the stereotypes. "I'm just a dumb woman. I didn't know it was there. I only have it because America is such a dangerous place and my husband told me to carry it. I'm actually scared of guns. And I'm really, really sorry." And here's the important point, I'd plead guilty right away. If she did those things, my guess is she'd get less time in Japan than an average man who volunteered he was carrying the gun on the plane prosecuted in America. Ghosn's problem, it seems, is that he thinks he actually has a chance of beating the charges. Who knows. Maybe he'll be in the 0.2% of criminal defendants who are found not guilty at trial. But I know which way I'll be betting. And, from what I've heard, the "trial tax" is a lot higher in Japan.

shuize

Post by shuize » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:42 pm

ed wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:25 pm

Another case I don't know much about. But wasn't Knox acting weird and doing cartwheels during the police interrogation?

Definitely don't do that if ever arrested in Japan.

ed

Post by ed » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:49 pm

shuize wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:42 pm
ed wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:25 pm

Another case I don't know much about. But wasn't Knox acting weird and doing cartwheels during the police interrogation?

Definitely don't do that if ever arrested in Japan.

Have to check but as I recall, they sweated her without council for a couple of days.

Or Turkey.

I'd really pay to see some of our snowflakes demanding their rights in Slovenia.

shuize

Post by shuize » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:30 pm

ed wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:49 pm

Have to check but as I recall, they sweated her without council for a couple of days.

Or Turkey.

I'd really pay to see some of our snowflakes demanding their rights in Slovenia.
This article says she did cartwheels and splits at the police station while waiting for questioning to begin.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldn ... urder.html

As noted above, that would not play well in Japan.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:19 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:

They are working without pay for the duration and calling in sick a lot.

And are paid shit (and have high turnover anyway), so they do not necessarily have a "cushion".

Many are simply quitting and finding other jobs.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale