Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Anaxagoras

Re: Japan

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:13 pm

It's hard for me to find any sympathy for Ghosn. His pay was $16.9 million per year according to Reuters.

That's assuming he just made what he was officially being paid. Every year.

If $16.9 million per year wasn't enough and he felt like he could embezzle more money on top of that, then fuck him. There needs to be some accountability.

I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot more white collar crime like this goes on, but that most of the time, the fuckers get away with it. Only a few are caught.

I mean, for crying out loud, why isn't that enough money? Why do you need to steal more money on top of that?

Of course, if he truly is innocent, that doesn't apply, but I doubt it. I'm inclined to believe that he's a greedy fucker who would do something like that. And not just him. There's a lot more like him out there.

Documents show Ghosn's Renault lieutenant drew extra salary via holding company; board unaware of payment
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:01 pm

Corruption in Japanese business?

嘘だ!

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:14 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:13 pm
I mean, for crying out loud, why isn't that enough money?
Greed.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:41 pm

Coming of Age Ceremony Meanwhile in . . . Japan

Almost a thread itself:

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:20 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:37 am
Anaxagoras wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:07 am
I assume this doesn't have anything to do with the government shutdown?

TSA is "essential" isn't it?
TSA is not getting paid.
Just saw this story:

Number of TSA workers calling off work spikes as shutdown drags on

According to the article Atlanta is particularly affected.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:11 pm

I was just on the same train with a minor Japanese celebrity. Former sumo wrestler, now apparently a stablemaster. Bulgarian dude who wrestled under the name Kotoōshū. I didn't bother him, but he is a gigantic man here in Japan. I'm pretty big myself but this guy is enormous when you see him in person.

Wikipedia says 6' 8" 337 pounds.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:00 pm

Like meeting お前のお母さん!

Ted Cruz?

Comments on how she has not been broken would prove most unseemly. Image

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:07 pm

I don't know the etiquette for this sort of thing but I refrained from surreptitiously taking his picture. He was wearing a black western style suit and tie, and he no longer had the mage (topknot) of an active rikishi. But I'm sure it was the same guy. :D
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:08 pm

He probably stands out.

I agree with The Times ancient assessment that no matter how much one tries, Sumo reminds viewers of "two fat boys fighting in the school yard over a chocky." There is no point to it, frankly. Anyways, it is the last of the "still wear the silly topnot," but retired wrestlers tend to cease wearing it.

I once knew all of the rules, then I realized I did not care. I reviewed them, because a major part of organized crime in Post-WWII was Sumo which led to "professional wrestling" in a way that reminds one of the current popular schlock. I put a quote from a book on it. This wrestling attracted "murican" wrestlers who played "villains" and lost to the Japanese wrestler. I do not think I need to explain that. I found it funny in that years before I tolerated a SJW-Type lecturing on how Americans must "always beat" an Asian in films.

Yes . . . in WWII films . . . that happens. They also defeat Germans as well. No one cares about the Italians, because they never won anything.

I digress.

Anyways, one of the "great" figures was a guy who ended up getting murdered. He was . . .

. . .

. . .

. . . Korean but everyone hid that since the Japanese masses were NOT going to accept a Korean as a "Japanese Hero" winning top honors in Sumo then defending the Imperial Honor[Tm.--Ed.] against the Round-Eyed Aggressors!

I gather things have changed in that "furiners" are able to advance in rank and all of that in a "sport" where women are still barred from certain areas. Running his own stable?

In the rain.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:08 pm

Doctor X wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:08 pm
I gather things have changed in that "furiners" are able to advance in rank and all of that in a "sport" where women are still barred from certain areas. Running his own stable?

In the rain.

--J.D.
They are. Well, technically he is no longer a furiner because he is now a naturalized Japanese citizen. A requirement for running a stable. Most recent yokozuna have been foreign-born. For a while it was mostly Samoans, and more recently Mongolians. They have quotas though, similar to Japanese Professional baseball. I think it's 2 per stable, no more. Or maybe just one. In baseball there's a similar limit to how many foreigners you can have on a team, iirc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nippon_Pr ... l_Baseball
For most of its history, NPB regulations imposed "gaijin waku", a limit on the number of non-Japanese people per team to two or three — including the manager and/or coaching staff.[25] Even today, a team cannot have more than four foreign players on a 25-man game roster, although there is no limit on the number of foreign players that it may sign. If there are four, they cannot all be pitchers nor all be position players.[25] This limits the cost and competition for expensive players of other nationalities, and is similar to rules in many European sports leagues' roster limits on non-European players.

Nonetheless, expatriate baseball players in Japan have been a feature of the Japanese professional leagues since 1934. Hundreds of foreigners — particularly Americans — have played NPB.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumo
In antiquity, sumo was solely a Japanese sport. Since the 1900s, however, the number of foreign-born sumo wrestlers has gradually increased. In the beginning of this period, these few foreign wrestlers were listed as Japanese, but particularly since the 1960s, a number of high-profile foreign-born wrestlers became well-known, and in more recent years have even come to dominate in the highest ranks. Half of the last six wrestlers promoted to ōzeki have been foreign-born, and a Japanese had not been named yokozuna from 1998 until the promotion of Kisenosato Yutaka in 2017. This and other issues eventually led the Sumo Association to limit the number of foreigners allowed to one in each stable.
So no new Japanese yokozuna from 1998 until 2017. During that same period I know there were several foreign-born yokozunas. So despite the quotas, the foreigners were overachieving, which was a bit of a 問題. It's supposed to be their national sport after all.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:17 pm

Oh. A sumo wrestler "stable". 8)

I thought you meant rich enough to own a mess of horses. :oops:

Are the underlying words the same in Japanese?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos. -- Abdul Alhazred

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:42 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:08 pm
So despite the quotas, the foreigners were overachieving, which was a bit of a 問題. It's supposed to be their national sport after all.
USA!USA!USA!

Though there was a crapload of Japanese senior Sumo who got expelled for fixing matches and the like. I know that this will come as a shock to you, but the yakuza tend to be involved.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:47 pm

No, actually the Japanese word for stable in the sumo sense is 部屋 which means "room".

Each one is run by an 親方. Which means something like "parent".

Kotooshuu is now Naruto Oyakata

http://narutobeya.com
William Shakespeare

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:28 pm

I find it amazing how smoothly we accept racism and discrimination in other cultures but get the vapors when one uses the term "niggardly" here.

Just an observation.

I like the Emperor

He told me that I can call him "Al".
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:12 pm

Meanwhile . . . in Japan:
Japanese magazine fucks up by posting ranking of “f*ckable female college students”

by Kaori Shoji

Some men in Japan just don’t seem to get that objectifying women is wrong.

In the land of the rising sun, the objectification of women is not only a thing, it’s a solid tradition and time-honored marketing ploy. Sometimes though, the tables can be turned the other way. This happened when Weekly SPA, a magazine famed for insisting that sex and money are the only things worth striving for, came out with a story in late December about which colleges had the most number of ‘yareru’ (i.e., easily f*ckable) women. Honorable first place went to Jissen Women’s University, followed by other prestigious women’s universities Otsuma and Ferris. Co-ed universities Hosei and Chuo came in 4th and 5th.

Normally, this would have caused a total of zero ripples on the calm surface of Japan’s societal pond (all the scum lurks beneath) but one young woman dared to raise her voice. This is Kazuna Yamamoto, a senior at International Christian University. Yamamoto saw the article and wrote to petition website change.org – that Japan should stop objectifying women, and noted the nation’s women “do not exist [soley] for the benefit of men.” In two days, Yamamoto’s petition amassed close to 30,000 sympathizers.

SPA editor-in-chief Takashi Inukai issued a public apology, saying that ‘yareru’ was in this case, inappropriate. Sorry. What SPA really meant to say, was ‘become on friendly terms with.’ Come on guys, is that the best you could do?

To make matters marginally more demeaning, SPA’s article was really about the practice of ‘gyara nomi,‘ which is a thing among young Japanese. (The ‘gyara’ comes from guarantee – in this case, cash.) In a ‘gyara nomi,’ a group of men meet a group of women at a drinking party. The men pick up the tab, and they are also obligated to offer money to women they find especially attractive. The women may or may not be pressured into sex by accepting the monetary gift but according to ‘Reina,’
"Reina?" The Reina?
a woman who regularly attends such gatherings, says “the sex is sort of mandatory. I mean, you can’t say no after the guy pays you. For myself and a lot of other girls, it’s a side hustle.” SPA covered an actual ‘gyara nomi’ party and an app that matches up college girls from the aforementioned universities wanting to earn a little cash, and men looking for a quick roll in the hay. It goes without saying that gyara nomi are limited to women under 25, (pre-Christmas cake age) though men do not face that censure.

Two factors are at play here: the objectification of women surely, but it’s also about women seizing the opportunity to cash in on their objectification. In a pathetically perverse way, you could say this is a win-win situation, or at least a supply and demand equation. Such a scenario is nothing new under the rising sun. Until Japan finally opened its doors to the West, objectifying women was so taken for granted the women themselves thought nothing of it.

By the way, the geisha trade of old was all about pushing the envelope of objectification: the closer a geisha got to simulating a perfectly made-up doll who danced and poured sake for her male clients (with a hinted promise of post-party sex), the better.
And in spite of all the water under the bridge and modernization with a vengeance, not a whole lot has changed. The practice of gyara nomi attest to the fact that Japanese men would would rather pay for sex, than god forbid, having to go through the arduous process of talking with a woman and getting to know her, and her consent– before taking her to bed.

As for the women themselves, like the aforementioned Reina many see their youths as a side hustle. If men and society insist on viewing college girls as ‘yareru’ cuties slinging Samantha Thavasa handbags over their arms, then there’s no shortage of college girls who bank on that view. Wearing short skirts, attending gyara nomi parties and then the next day, laugh about the men with their girlfriends at Starbucks. What’s the harm – but more to the point, how will they finance those Samantha Thavasa handbags if not through men? No self-respecting college girl wants to admit she had to buy one all on her own. With the exception of a weird few who want to waste their precious youth pursuing a medical degree (we know where such lofty ambitions wind up), young women find it easier to cater to male fantasies, and be compensated in one way or another for their trouble.

Not Wocket Neuzu!
--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:57 pm

Interesting site you found there. I don't think I've seen that one before. I know I've seen the name Kaori Shoji before. I think she used to write for Japan Times.

Did you see this older article about AKB 48 and Japan's creepy idol industry?

http://www.japansubculture.com/akb48-a- ... ok-review/

No time to quote now, about to change trains.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:15 am

No, but I will check it out. The subject is "coming to a head," so to write, due to public complaints, then apology, then frustration from one member who only had her home address published so she narrowly avoided being raped by two fans . . . no, wait, they insist they grabbed her by the face because they wanted to "talk" to her.

They got bail and, so far, nothing has been done. Her management did nothing.

This has caused a few to note that quite a few "Happy! Happy! Love You!" J-Pop idols are suffering mental depression and even crying for help over the stresses and rules, not to mention the schedules. It is not a stereotype to describe the process as "chew them up and spit them out."

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:06 am

“Short skirts cause sexual assaults” according to Japanese school uniform poster

If you’ve ever travelled on a Japanese train, chances are you’ve walked past or sat near a poster warning of the dangers of chikan, which literally translates to “pervert” or “molester”, and is commonly used to refer to groping, and the men who grope women on crowed trains.

As something that affects many schoolgirls in particular, a number of organisations have come out with goods to help female students in the fight against chikan, while police departments regularly use posters aimed at young women to encourage them to report assaults.

While anti-groping posters continue to be used at stations and onboard trains, one school recently came under fire for displaying a poster that warned about the dangers of short skirts rather than the dangers of groping. The poster read:
“The short skirt that you think is ‘kawaii’ leads to sex crimes. And it’s not just [a preventative measure] for yourself, but for your friends and companions too.”
The controversial message was brought to the attention of the Internet by a Twitter user who said her younger sister saw the poster up at school and sent her an image of it, saying “This is ridiculous”.

Wocketu NUZU!
Interesting read. This was the basis of a hilarious episode of a girl's "coming of age"/"cringe" manga and anime:

the "point" is it is an issue that seems to be just one of those things that "happens." The main character overhears a girl complaining about it and wonders why it has never happened to her.

I have old books, many old books, many, many old books, and some are on the Japanese language which include and explain chikin. This is not a new phenomenon. Thus the article notes:
chikan incidents are yet to show any signs of disappearing. In fact, it’s still so common that the word “chikan” even appears on the U.K. government’s official online foreign travel advice for Japan.
--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:31 am

So, my only observation on the "short skirts" thing, is that school girls do in fact either alter their uniforms or hike up their skirts by folding them at the top (usually multiple times) to change their knee-length skirts to short skirts.

I do not say this to excuse chikan in any way, merely to observe what I see with my own eyes.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:50 am

Interestingly, I watched that video after finding the one I posted. He is correct but is only commenting on the series thus far covered by the anime adaption. The manga is far, far ahead and poor Tomoko has made some, slight, progress. As I noted in the long-winded portion below, she now has friends. Many have "issues" themselves, but part of the point of the series is you rarely find teens without some issues.

Back to the point, despite her fantasies she always wears the longer skirts. Pretty much everyone else wears the shorter to Regulation Pervert Short Anime length. A friend tries to get her to wear her shorter, which includes trying to roll up the hem as you describe. I believe a few years ago you mentioned that 娘様 either tried that or whined about how her longer skirt made her look like a first-year, but ワイフ様 would have none of that. Anyways, Tomoko tries wearing the shorter skirt and absolutely hates it. It reveals a bit of her hypocrisy to herself for reasons that generate a Wall of Text. Though I will give this:
Which is a hilarious classical euphemism for vagina. One of the reasons a friend insists she wear her skirt short is that, long story short, when said friend grumbled about how another girl snoozing on a bench revealed her pantsu, Tomoko helpfully notes that said friend's pantsu were so hiked up one day it revealed her . . . well . . . "Mount Pleasant!" Tomoko being Tomoko suddenly thinks she should smooth the conversation over as her friend sits in Offended Silence. She offers that her friend should not feel bad because it looks "pink and beautiful" which earns a vicious slap.

From that point on, when said friend starts to irritate Tomoko--such as insisting her skirt is too long--Tomoko brings up her 淫乱ピンク. This drives friend insane but confuses everyone else. That "lewd/lascivious pink" usually refers to anime characters with pink hair being assumed to be promiscuous. Their friends are confused since said friend does not dye her hair pink, but the friend knows exactly what Tomoko is teasing her about.

Many "fan translators" do not "get" that pun, but it is very clear. So clear, a more mature girl who saw said friend slap Tomoko investigated whether or not she was bullying her. When Tomoko confesses the reason, the girl calmly responds, "so you saw her 女性器." Fan translators keep adding "pantsu" thinking Tomoko is talking about her friends "pink panties." She is not.

"This is knowledge to be treasured."

--Hagakure
--J.D.