Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Anaxagoras

Re: Japan

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:34 am

If anyone's wondering the sign says that politics is not for women and tells women to "go back to the kitchen." Somebody is trolling. I don't know why. It's like telling a woman to "go make me a sandwich" just to provoke her. That level of stuff. It's not intended as a persuasive argument. Just someone being an asshole for the lulz probably. They like to see the outraged reactions probably.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:40 am

Probably.

You can read the Japanese Original Wokketu NUUZU!! at the linkypoo which will take you to the Japanese Original article. In some ways, Japan, and even Okinawa, remains in the 1970s of social development.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:43 am

On the above, I have received some responses from friends who are quite embarrassed by it. I assured them that we have loons in America as well.

Meanwhile,

interesting interview with Tatsuya Nakadai whom I have included as a "Still Alive Fuckers" in the Tumbrel of Missed Opportunity thread. While he got the "honor" to be dispatched by Mifune in both Yojimbo and Sanjuro, he appears in, I think, two of the best dissections of the whole chambara or "Samurai FIGHT!! WITH SWORDS" films: Samurai Rebellion and Hara Kiri. They both give a damning portrayal of the feudal society. I recommend the first to see Mifune act as a "samurai" in a very different way: as a passive and subservient older man. I have posted one of my favorite scenes where a wife drags a concubine by the hair to drop her at the feet of her husband.

The second is, I think, one of the best movies ever made.

Nakadai is famous for his portrayal of "Lear" in Ran, particularly the single take of the destruction of his castle: a scene that he has joked about "one trip and everything ruined!"

I will leave Anax to complain about the gaijin's accent.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:24 am

Doctor X wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:43 am
On the above, I have received some responses from friends who are quite embarrassed by it. I assured them that we have loons in America as well.
Of course, whichever cunt posted those signs was not brave enough to put its name to it. A telling detail.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:33 am

Yeah. It appears the main "issue" in Okinawan politics is . . .

. . . wait for it . . .

. . . the military bases! It appears in the midst of that someone was mortally butt-hurt that women actually run for office.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:40 am

I think maybe it's about time to take a hint.

Yeah, the Japanese prime minister wants us there, and the Joint Chiefs of Staff probably want us there too, but do we really need to be there?
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:24 pm

Funny, there is a Yes, Prime Minister where the new PM James Hacker decides it would be a great idea to move a lot of the UK military from the south around London and the like to up north to bring up the economy. What are a bunch of troops and tanks defending around London?

The "brass" literally freak. Who wants to go to northern England or, worse, Scotland?! Besides, "the wives" prefer to shop in London.

So I have been told that the U.S. could simply move to Guam, once it has been retrofitted to prevent it from capsizing, of course!

Who the fuck wants to be in Guam!

Now Okinawa was, for a long time, "the Rock," but it has beautified itself. I suppose it is "close enough" to China and the Korean peninsula to make those bases better than Guam. Or maybe visiting the islands near Okinawa or Seoul or Japan proper is better for the "wives?"

Then comes, of course, the economic loss to Okinawa. Just like every time a President or Congress decides to cut waste in Defense by looking at bases, wonders why we need to defend North Dakota . . . and . . . "all politics are local!"

Though land being what it is, I am sure a lot of rich developers would love to get large portions of the bases.

I probably also do not have to pontificate what the economic and foreign policy implications will be for Japan to have to more obviously defend herself.

So they will protest.

The US will keep a base on Okinawa.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:05 pm

Oh, sure. We could maintain a base in Okinawa. I think we have many bases there right now. Let's think about which ones we really need and which ones we don't need so much. Maybe, God forbid, different service branches might have to share a base or two. Think outside the box a bit.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:31 pm

Would you want to bunk with marines?

--J.D.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:48 pm

Well you know why they use powder soap in the Navy...
Spoiler:
it takes longer to pick up!

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:21 am

I had a thought today about Fugu.

It will kill you if you don't prepare it right. But there had to be a point in time when no one realized that and/or did not know what the right way was.

That means somewhere, some time, this conversation had to have occured "Well, Yakamura just died painfully after eating that blowfish, but I think I know what I did wrong..."
The Luggage said nothing, but louder this time.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:37 am

Maybe they tested it on dogs or children.

Trivia: You know who is prohibited by law from eating fugu?
Spoiler:
The Emperor.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugu
The inhabitants of Japan have eaten fugu for centuries. Fugu bones have been found in several shell middens, called kaizuka, from the Jōmon period that date back more than 2,300 years. The Tokugawa shogunate (1603–1868) prohibited the consumption of fugu in Edo and its area of influence. It became common again as the power of the Shōgunate weakened. In western regions of Japan, where the government's influence was weaker and fugu was easier to get, various cooking methods were developed to safely eat them. During the Meiji Era (1867–1912), fugu was again banned in many areas.[11] Fugu is the only food the Emperor of Japan is forbidden by law to eat, for his safety.[12]
Why is it poisonous?
Researchers have determined that a fugu's tetrodotoxin comes from eating other animals infested with tetrodotoxin-laden bacteria, to which the fish develops insensitivity over time.[10] As such, efforts have been made in research and aquaculture to allow farmers to produce safe fugu. Farmers now produce 'poison-free' fugu by keeping the fish away from the bacteria; Usuki, a town in Ōita Prefecture, has become known for selling non-poisonous fugu.[10]
And, just because it is knowledge to treasure:
Fugu contains lethal amounts of the poison tetrodotoxin in its inner organs, especially the liver, the ovaries, eyes, and skin.[4] The poison, a sodium channel blocker,[5] paralyzes the muscles while the victim stays fully conscious;[6] the poisoned victim is unable to breathe, and eventually dies from asphyxiation.[7] There is no known antidote for fugu poison.[8] The standard treatment is to support the respiratory and circulatory systems until the poison is metabolized and excreted by the victim's body.[9]
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:48 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:21 am
I had a thought today about Fugu.

It will kill you if you don't prepare it right. But there had to be a point in time when no one realized that and/or did not know what the right way was.

That means somewhere, some time, this conversation had to have occured "Well, Yakamura just died painfully after eating that blowfish, but I think I know what I did wrong..."
I had the same thoughts about mushrooms. :mrgreen:

Emperor reports abdication to his late father

TOKYO (Jiji Press) — The Emperor, accompanied by the Empress, visited the mausoleum of Emperor Showa in Hachioji, Tokyo, on Tuesday morning to report his April 30 abdication.

The visit to the mausoleum of his father was part of an abdication-related ritual called “Shinetsu-no-Gi.”

Also to report his abdication together with his wife, the Emperor visited the mausoleum of Emperor Jinmu in Nara Prefecture on March 26, and Ise Grand Shrines in Mie Prefecture, on Thursday.

The visit to his father’s mausoleum became the Emperor’s last visit to an Imperial mausoleum before he abdicates. Crown Prince Naruhito will assume the throne on May 1.

The Emperor, dressed in a morning coat and carrying a silk hat in his hand, approached the mausoleum at an easy pace, offered a “tamagushi” Shinto offering and bowed deeply. The Empress, in a gray dress for worship, followed suit.
http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0005693056

shuize

Post by shuize » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:28 am

I’ve tried fugu a few times but never really understood what the big deal was. The emperor isn’t missing anything. Overpriced and bland in my opinion.

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:12 am

Japanese stereotypes about the world:

https://i.redd.it/604yquf1tsg21.jpg link to enlarge.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:15 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:37 am
Maybe they tested it on dogs or children.

Trivia: You know who is prohibited by law from eating fugu?
Spoiler:
The Emperor.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugu
The inhabitants of Japan have eaten fugu for centuries. Fugu bones have been found in several shell middens, called kaizuka, from the Jōmon period that date back more than 2,300 years. The Tokugawa shogunate (1603–1868) prohibited the consumption of fugu in Edo and its area of influence. It became common again as the power of the Shōgunate weakened. In western regions of Japan, where the government's influence was weaker and fugu was easier to get, various cooking methods were developed to safely eat them. During the Meiji Era (1867–1912), fugu was again banned in many areas.[11] Fugu is the only food the Emperor of Japan is forbidden by law to eat, for his safety.[12]
Why is it poisonous?
Researchers have determined that a fugu's tetrodotoxin comes from eating other animals infested with tetrodotoxin-laden bacteria, to which the fish develops insensitivity over time.[10] As such, efforts have been made in research and aquaculture to allow farmers to produce safe fugu. Farmers now produce 'poison-free' fugu by keeping the fish away from the bacteria; Usuki, a town in Ōita Prefecture, has become known for selling non-poisonous fugu.[10]
And, just because it is knowledge to treasure:
Fugu contains lethal amounts of the poison tetrodotoxin in its inner organs, especially the liver, the ovaries, eyes, and skin.[4] The poison, a sodium channel blocker,[5] paralyzes the muscles while the victim stays fully conscious;[6] the poisoned victim is unable to breathe, and eventually dies from asphyxiation.[7] There is no known antidote for fugu poison.[8] The standard treatment is to support the respiratory and circulatory systems until the poison is metabolized and excreted by the victim's body.[9]
What the hell is the point of non-lethal fugu? AFAIC, the whole point of it is the daredevil aspect. The fact that it might kill you is the appeal.
The Luggage said nothing, but louder this time.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:31 am

This might be interesting. I haven't actually watched it yet. Just saving the link here for future reference. Part of a bilingual series about Japan made by NHK.

William Shakespeare

shuize

Post by shuize » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:02 am

Witness wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:12 am
Japanese stereotypes about the world:

I doubt the stereotypes have changed much. But right to left horizontal writing and older kanji means the map itself is pre-WWII.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:07 pm

Witness wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:12 am
Japanese stereotypes about the world: [ image ]
I viewed the big version at the link to get the full effect.

What stereotypes? :)
USA!.jpg
Maybe I'm missing something because I can't read Japanese? :notsure:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:34 am

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.