Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Re: Japan

Post by ed » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:55 am

Witness wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:10 am

[*]Yata no Kagami - the sacred mirror
[*]Kusanagi no Tsurugi - the sacred sword
[*]Yasakani no Magatama - the sacred jewel
[/list]

They are playing too much Zelda
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:14 pm

ed wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:55 am
Witness wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:10 am

[*]Yata no Kagami - the sacred mirror
[*]Kusanagi no Tsurugi - the sacred sword
[*]Yasakani no Magatama - the sacred jewel
[/list]

They are playing too much Zelda
Or ...

https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/The_Tsurugi_of_Muramasa
The Tsurugi of Muramasa is the Samurai quest artifact. It is the prize for completing the samurai quest. It is lawful for wishing purposes.

It is a tsurugi, a type of two-handed sword. It does 4-28 base damage, with a 5% chance of either instantly killing a small monster (or a monster engulfing you) by bisection, or doing double damage to large monsters. When wielded, it provides extrinsic protection, augmenting your magic cancellation as a ring of protection, but not cumulative with one.

Its disadvantage is being two-handed; if it becomes cursed in a fight you will need to #tip an uncursing item out of your bag to regain use of your hands. The Tsurugi is still safer than most two-handed weapons, because as an intelligent artifact it resists the curse items monster spell 80% of the time.

:BigGrin3:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:25 pm

Annnnd, it's now officially a new era, as of 25 minutes ago.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:39 pm

Need to change the calendars . . . no wait . . . do not have to because WE WON!

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!!

shuize

Post by shuize » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:47 pm

I've always felt sorry for Princess (now Empress) Masako. It seems pretty clear she tried to avoid that marriage but was eventually worn down. Never really understood why she just couldn't say "No." Or why the crown prince (now Emperor) wouldn't take two "No's" for an answer* and used the power of the government to pressure her into accepting.

Personally I'd prefer to be with someone who wanted to be with me. But, whatever. I think royalty is dumb. But I'm not Japanese, I don't have to understand.

* That's the number rejections I heard reported. I suspect there may have been more. I mean, she left the country for a couple of years to make it clear she wasn't interested and still the guy wouldn't leave her alone.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:16 pm

shuize wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:47 pm
I've always felt sorry for Princess (now Empress) Masako. It seems pretty clear she tried to avoid that marriage but was eventually worn down. Never really understood why she just couldn't say "No." Or why the crown prince (now Emperor) wouldn't take two "No's" for an answer* and used the power of the government to pressure her into accepting.

Personally I'd prefer to be with someone who wanted to be with me. But, whatever. I think royalty is dumb. But I'm not Japanese, I don't have to understand.

* That's the number rejections I heard reported. I suspect there may have been more. I mean, she left the country for a couple of years to make it clear she wasn't interested and still the guy wouldn't leave her alone.
Initially, one assumes. :P

It does strike me as stalking.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:22 pm

Does the empress have to live in seclusion?

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:16 pm

--J. "今年がモテないのはどう考えてもお前らが悪い" D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:35 pm

shuize

Post by shuize » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:50 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:22 pm
Does the empress have to live in seclusion?

I don't know much about Japanese "royalty," so someone else might have a better answer.

My guess is if not legally (and it may actually be required, I don't know), then practically speaking, "Yes."

Also, she reportedly had (still has?) suffered from depression*, so she does not get out much anyway.

* The then crown prince got a lot of positive PR when Masako's depression and his promise to "support her fully" was announced, conveniently skipping over that part about how her being forced to give up a promising diplomatic career and marry someone she had repeatedly rejected for a life of fake smiles and robotic hand waving maybe, just maybe, could have been a factor in causing her depression.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed May 01, 2019 3:36 am

There is a book I always meant to read called, Prisoner of the Chrysanthemum Throne which is now hard to find. It is, apparently, a scathing comment on the attitude towards mental illness in Japan in general and with the royal family in particular. Way back, a faction tried to prevent Hirohito marrying his wife based on a claim of her having a form of color blindness.

Masako then immediately felt the "produce a son" pressure. I recall when her daughters were born the "is her fault" grumblings came out. That did not help her at all. I will give it to the New Dude, he promised to stay with her, and he has even though it forced the succession to go through a brother rather than him.

There is no outlet. There is nothing to "do" but play the roll of a doll, basically.

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed May 01, 2019 4:21 am

Meanwhile . . . in Japan:

--J.D.

shuize

Post by shuize » Wed May 01, 2019 8:34 am

Doctor X wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 3:36 am

Masako then immediately felt the "produce a son" pressure. I recall when her daughters were born the "is her fault" grumblings came out. That did not help her at all. I will give it to the New Dude, he promised to stay with her, and he has even though it forced the succession to go through a brother rather than him.

There is no outlet. There is nothing to "do" but play the roll of a doll, basically.

--J.D.

Yes, after forcing her into a marriage she apparently didn’t want, he’s stood by her. What a “prince.” What else was he going to do, divorce her? I could be wrong, but something tells me that’s not so easy for the imperial family.

Even the princess engaged to the guy who immediately went off to study in America for a year and recently announced it’s going to take him a couple of more years abroad.* She’ll be a “commoner” after the marriage, but I think the royal connection will still follow her around and it might be hard for him to divorce her easily. It wouldn’t surprise me if he’s having second thoughts and the “extra time in America” leads to a face-saving “We just drifted apart” announcement down the road.

* There’s also some issue about his mother being in serious debt, but I can’t remember all the details.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed May 01, 2019 8:58 am

shuize wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:34 am
Yes, after forcing her into a marriage she apparently didn’t want, he’s stood by her.
Well, she did say "yes." Again, I have not read the darker book on whether or not she felt forced by, say, her family or even the diplomatic corps.
What else was he going to do, divorce her? I could be wrong, but something tells me that’s not so easy for the imperial family.
The thing is the Old War Criminal lives so long after losing WWII. Prior to the war, various imperial members and functionaries expected him to have a concubine to insure a male heir. As you know, in Japanese history, there is no such thing as male "bastards" from a guy. If waifu fucks the town they all get sliced.

Now, after USA!USA!USA! I am not sure how that would have played out. Prior to the time either no one heard of it or no one cared who the princes and emperors fucked so long as it was quality ass.

So if he decided to divorce her? There were, to my recollection, some reported mumblings when she "failed" to crap out a boy added to her mental illness. It may be, as you suggest, that the very idea of divorce now is unheard of for the immediate royal family. Still, I think they could have easily declared that she required "lots 'n lots" of treatment, "this is for her own good," and all of that, and it would be politely covered up.

Perhaps he does love her. Maybe he is a royal Cunt. I do not know, and I doubt Japanese newspapers would report that.
Even the princess engaged to the guy who immediately went off to study in America for a year and recently announced it’s going to take him a couple of more years abroad.* She’ll be a “commoner” after the marriage, but I think the royal connection will still follow her around and it might be hard for him to divorce her easily.
From what I read she loses her royal status so her children are not royal. Way to pare down the "royals" in a country already over-crowded with "mai family samurai!" and other useless nonsense. She would not be "cut off" from the royal family though there may be protocols and ceremonies she cannot attend without pinning a frog to her shoulder and such.

However, to my knowledge there has not been many of "them"--married to a gal from the imperial family--around recently. So maybe he would be expected certain things. He would not be royal. Though how do you divorce a princess? You better not fuck that decision up, and maybe he knows that.
It wouldn’t surprise me if he’s having second thoughts and the “extra time in America” leads to a face-saving “We just drifted apart” announcement down the road.
very well could be. Though if they were serious, and I do not know her at all, why does she not travel with him? Perhaps, until marriage, that would OMKS ["Oh My Kami-Sama"--Ed.] IMPLY THEY ARE HAVING SEX WHICH J-POP BABES CANNOT DO LET ALONE A PRINCESS!!11!!! Man, she might as well start smoking!

But as you suggest, it maybe a nice dual face saving. Who wants to get "dumped" by a princess and what princess wants to get dumped?
* There’s also some issue about his mother being in serious debt, but I can’t remember all the details.
You and Anax would know current Japanese press far better than I, certainly. So how much the Japanese press would follow and report on things the royal brats do, I suspect it is far less than British tabloids, but Japanese love gossip as much as anyone. They may leave the princess alone but feel Your the mother of the dude is fair game for "investigation."

--J.D.

shuize

Post by shuize » Wed May 01, 2019 10:38 am

Well, I'm mostly talking out of my ass. I've just about exhausted my knowledge on the Japanese imperial family with my posts above. The only reason I know anything about Masako is because the engagement was a big deal when I first came to Japan in the early '90s. And the only reason I know anything about the guy engaged to the princess (I looked it up, his name is Kei Komuro, and hers is Princess Mako) is because he's supposedly in America to get an LL.M. (a kind of master's degree in law). And that only caught my attention because his stated reason for staying longer doesn't really add up.*

You're probably right about "illness" as the likely reason if Mr. Reiwa needed (ever needs?) to get out. It's the go to excuse for everything here.

*The version I read in the Japanese press said he now wants to get a J.D. so he can take "the American bar." The article got it wrong about a single American bar exam like they have in Japan. But as I understand it he's studying in New York (at Fordham) and New York allows foreign students to take their state bar exam with just an LL.M. Going back to get a J.D. after an LL.M. is at least two more years of unnecessary time and money when all he really needs to do is take a bar review course.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed May 01, 2019 12:14 pm

I came across a 5-part series in the Times that covers all of these topics.

1. Japan Would Make Akihito Emperor, but She Called Him ‘Jimmy’

2. The Long Shadows of a Failed War

3. The Reluctant Bride

4. A Princess in a Cage

5. The Suitor With the Shaggy Hair

It does seem like a tremendous amount of pressure was eventually brought to bear on Masako (part 3) to marry the prince. There was also a lot of pressure on him. (The female reporter points out that he's short and has a nerdy haircut). But apparently he decided that she was the girl for him and, maybe if she wouldn't marry him then, well, perhaps he just wouldn't marry at all. He wasn't interested in exploring other options I guess, even though they had "binders full of women" "dossiers on nearly 200 women" who might be a match for him.

As far as Princess Mako and her suitor goes, signs seem to be that she's rethinking her options, or perhaps they both are, and she put out an official statement that seems to imply that, without directly confirming it.

The Japanese press I think are not quite as bad as the British tabloids with purveying gossip about the royals, but that's damning with faint praise. The British tabloids are just brutal. Mind you, Royal gossip isn't really my thing, and I don't go out of my way to follow it, but it's hard to not see headlines about Meghan and Harry. They've really declared war on her recently, and no petty remark seems to be beyond the pale anymore.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed May 01, 2019 12:41 pm

Good articles. As I suspected:
In the Japanese press, Masako was a walking womb in waiting. If she wore low-heeled shoes, or failed to appear at a reception, the tabloids rushed to speculate that she might be expecting.
Though I am not sure the NYTs can blame the Jews for her having a daughter. . . .

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon May 06, 2019 6:07 am

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon May 06, 2019 11:22 am

I think I know where that was taken. Maybe.

Near Ichigaya?
William Shakespeare

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Tue May 07, 2019 10:34 am

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.