Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Re: Japan

Post by ed » Tue May 07, 2019 10:58 am

Is that the new queen?
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Tue May 07, 2019 4:00 pm

Doctor X wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:07 am

--J.D.
I can't find the Ronin in the picture
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue May 07, 2019 4:17 pm

But he is there.

He is always there.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue May 07, 2019 11:32 pm

Video at the link.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu May 09, 2019 3:44 pm

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu May 16, 2019 12:49 am

Japan enacts legislation making preschool education free in effort to boost low fertility rate

Japan enacted legislation Friday that will make preschool education free as part of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s drive to expand child care support and boost the country’s birthrate.

The government will use revenue from the planned consumption tax hike in October to run the education program, which is expected to cost ¥776 billion per year.

The bill, which secured Lower House approval in April, was passed by the Upper House on Friday, amid criticism from some opposition lawmakers that the government should first focus on reducing the number of children on waiting lists for nursery school spots before making preschool education free.

Under the program, the government will make preschool education free for all children between 3 and 5 years old starting in October. Day care services will also be made free for children up to 2 from low-income households.

If parents send their children to preschools that are not authorized by local governments, maximum monthly subsidies of ¥37,000 per child will be given for those between 3 and 5, and ¥42,000 for those aged 2 and younger. School meals will not be covered.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/ ... NyyanBUOUm

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue May 21, 2019 8:00 am

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue May 21, 2019 8:28 am

If they would just "take responsibility," Anax, they would not cause so much embarrassment to their families.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed May 22, 2019 2:34 am

Saw something at the train station on my way to work this morning about increased security due to Trump visiting. Now I just looked outside from my office and saw a bunch of police officers standing around near the intersection.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Wed May 22, 2019 2:39 am

None of them were drinking coffee I hope.

--J.D.

shuize

Post by shuize » Wed May 22, 2019 2:48 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 2:34 am
Saw something at the train station on my way to work this morning about increased security due to Trump visiting. Now I just looked outside from my office and saw a bunch of police officers standing around near the intersection.
One of the office ladies mentioned to me yesterday that there will be various travel restrictions later in June due to some sort of summit.

June? It’s a wonder I was ever able to manage a trial calendar since I can barely manage to organize my schedule more than a week ahead. I mean, I can. But I don’t obsess over it. This fact often puts me at odds with nearly ever Japanese person I’ve ever met.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed May 22, 2019 2:53 am

Weird. He's not scheduled to be here for 3 more days, unless they moved it up. The police I saw outside just now might be there for a different reason.

https://apnews.com/5697888d7f574347a7de ... =AP_Sports
TOKYO (AP) — Plans for U.S. President Donald Trump to check out the ancient Japanese sport of sumo wrestling during a state visit are raising security issues for organizers.

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is eager to have Trump and his wife, Melania, attend the final day of a 15-day tournament on May 26 and hand over a trophy to the winner.

The issue for organizers, Japanese media reports said Tuesday, is that more than 1,000 seats near the ring are generally sold out and buyers will all have to be checked in advance.

They may also have to ban the sale of canned beer in the front section, where Trump is expected to sit, the reports said.
Normally if you sit in the front section at a sumo tournament, there are no chairs to sit on. Japanese people are used to this. I'm not so sure that would be very comfortable for a guy like Trump.
Ring-side seats are coveted for sumo, an art-like sport that dates back to the 17th century, featuring overweight men in top-knots and loincloths bashing each other in a circular mud ring.

Trump’s state visit from May 25-28 has regional security and trade issues on the agenda. He is also expected to be the first foreign dignitary to meet Emperor Naruhito, who inherited the Chrysanthemum Throne on May 1.

Every Japanese prime minister likes to trumpet close ties with this nation’s most important ally. But Abe has made showing off close relations with Trump a key part of his profile.

Trump has said he is having a trophy made for the sumo winner, which Japanese media have already informally dubbed the “Trump Cup.”

“I’ve always found that fascinating,” Trump told reporters last month, describing sumo as “something I’ll enjoy very much.”

The winning wrestler gets several trophies, so adding another cup would not be a problem.

The ring-side seats called “masu seki,” which cost about 10,000 yen ($100) each, don’t have chairs but are boxed in areas with Japanese “zabuton” mattresses for sitting on the floor. Seats up higher in the stands have chairs.

News Post Seven reported that putting in chairs was being considered to accommodate Trump. All entering Ryogoku Kokugikan, the venue in Tokyo, go through metal detectors and other standard security checks.

The Japan Sumo Association and the U.S. Embassy declined comment Tuesday.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed May 22, 2019 3:21 am

I think we already had something about this:
Petition launched to stop forcible hair dyeing from natural color to black in schools

TOKYO

As we reported before, in October 2017, news of an Osaka teen who was forced by her high school to dye her naturally brown hair black went viral after it was picked up by both domestic and international news sources. This resulted in a heated debate on social media, with many questioning the need for forcible hair dyeing, submission of "natural hair color certificates," as well as other hair-related and appearance-related rules in Japanese schools, and some calling for their elimination.

While the discussion continued in the background, P&G's Pantene brand was preparing its #HairWeGo What's Wrong With My Hair campaign in Japan, surveying 1,000 current and former high school and middle school students and teachers about hair dyeing and other hair care rules. The campaign, launched on March 18th, discovered that one in 13 current and former middle and high school students said they had been "urged" to dye their brown hair black. Moreover, 87% of teachers expressed a need for change in hairstyle rules at their school.

The campaign's video, available with English subtitles, has surpassed 9.97 million views at the time of writing:

https://japantoday.com/category/nationa ... se-schools

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri May 24, 2019 4:11 am

Evangelion anime voice actress says gay man grabbed her chest in Tokyo bar district

まあまあ。別に。

Stranger assumed she was a lesbian, Eva lead says.

面白いだった。

In the early hours of the morning on May 23, anime voice actress Megumi Ogata was out having some drinks with a female friend in Golden Gai, one of the oldest bar districts in Tokyo. Ogata’s ability to perform deeper voices than many other anime voice actresses has won her some very memorable roles, such as Evangelion protagonist Shinji Ikari and Sailor Moon’s Haruka Tenoh, a.k.a. Sailor Uranus.

Wokketu NEUZU!
Someone grabbed Uranus.

Heh.

Heh.

--J.D.

shuize

Post by shuize » Fri May 24, 2019 9:11 am

... gay man grabbed her chest ...

The whole "gender fluid" thing seems to have gone full circle.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri May 24, 2019 12:44 pm

shuize wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:11 am
... gay man grabbed her chest ...

The whole "gender fluid" thing seems to have gone full circle.
Sexual motive not certain.

Might be strictly platonic 4 teh LULz. 8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat May 25, 2019 2:43 am

Wondered if there exists a Japanese [Original--Ed.] equivalent to the term "catfight."

I do not recommend searching for "Japanese catfight" or "catfight in Japanese." Though I be bless'd with a Mac, I am still bleaching my hard drive.

There is a term for "cold war" [冷戦--Ed.] which is how the relationship between the new empress and her sister-in-law is described.

Evidences:
Frosty relationship rumored between Empress Masako and sister-in-law Crown Princess Kiko

Masako Owada seemed poised on the edge of a brilliant diplomatic career when, in 1986, she met Crown Prince Naruhito. Their courtship was long and complicated. They married in 1993. The quarter-century that followed was not kind to Crown Princess Masako. Ill health plagued her. Under pressure to produce an heir to the throne, she gave birth in 2001 to Princess Aiko – to the consternation of traditionalists for whom “heir” meant “male heir.” Masako withdrew further into the background, chronically “convalescing,” never quite convalesced.

Princess Kiko, on the other hand, wife of Naruhito’s younger brother Prince Fumihito, seemed to flourish, clinching her status in the royal family by giving birth in 2006 to Prince Hisahito.

May 1 – day one of Japan’s new Reiwa era – was day one as well of a new reign -- Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako. And Empress Masako, reports Shukan Shincho, is blooming as Crown Princess Masako never did. Her symptoms cast off, her vigor restored, she sheds a new glow that threatens to put Kiko in the shade.

Ascension to the Chrysanthemum Throne is a highly ceremonialized, deeply ritualized affair. Masako was a full participant in all of it. A week later she was present at a dinner for the Chinese ambassador on the eve of his recall home. For 30 minutes, it was observed, she engaged the ambassadorial couple in lively conversation – a clear departure from the aloof manner of her crown princess days, and a preview, perhaps, of the role she’ll play at the G20 summit in Osaka in late June.

Crown Princess Kiko, meanwhile, is beset by anxieties, most notably those concerning the troubled marriage plans of her elder daughter, Princess Mako. The intense press scrutiny that compounds those anxieties has made it too well-known a story to require retelling here, beyond a reminder that it involves financial ambiguities in Mako’s fiancé’s family.

There are other issues too, including Crown Prince Fumihito’s allegedly precarious health. Fumihito is now, with his elder brother’s ascension, heir presumptive to the throne. An intensified public role has required a doubling of his and his wife’s personal staff. Not used to running such a large establishment, the royal couple must cope with the results of their inexperience – such as tensions arising from an inharmonious staff competing sometimes bitterly for status among themselves.

Veiled rivalry between Masako and Kiko is not new. Shukan Shincho cites an instance dating back to 2012. With [Sic--Ed.] Emperor Akihito was hospitalized for coronary bypass surgery, Kiko promptly announced plans to visit him. Masako, according to the magazine, reminded her that the rules of precedence entitled her to pay the first visit. Peacemaker in the affair was Empress Michiko – who said, in effect, "We’ll all go together."

If that sets the pattern for future relations between the two royal women, the “cold war” will be manageable.

Japan Today

Shown: Empress Michiko acting as peacemaker . . . probably.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat May 25, 2019 9:15 am

Sometimes I wonder how much of the "rivalry" is real and how much is the press projecting these hidden conflicts on the women. I wonder the same thing w/r/t Kate and Meghan.

There are never any direct quotes from the horse's mouth of one trashing the other. Just rumors from "well placed sources" that the reporters claim to have access to. It's all third hand information.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat May 25, 2019 6:05 pm

I imagine it is the natural hypocrisy of wanting the royals to be aloof and unapproachable symbols who never use a bathroom while wanting them to be scandalous figures to report on while tsking and waving fans over how the Younger Generation is destroying everything.

The reality is probably somewhere in between. I imagine Masako was never happy with the situation. I imagine that others in the same situation: being members of the royal family, probably lost patience with her--"get on with it!"--over the decades of convalescence. Then comes the pressure to create an "heir 'n a spare." There is also no real outlet for such familial frustration. I do not know enough of the details of Visit Dad in Hospital Gate, but it could have simply been Masako feeling slighted by a jump in precedence while Kiko is thinking, "then get off your ass and visit him so everyone else can!" rather than her grasping at a chance to take that jump.

--J.D.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon May 27, 2019 7:05 am

Evidences

--J.D.