Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: Japan

Post by Doctor X » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:44 am

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

The Joker
Title: Clown Prince of Crime

Post by The Joker » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:24 am

Relax! I'm only gonna burn my half.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:17 pm

Women outperform men after Japan medical school stops rigging exam scores
Women have outperformed their male counterparts in entrance examinations for a medical school in Japan that last year admitted rigging admission procedures to give men an unfair advantage.

Juntendo University in Tokyo said that of the 1,679 women who took its medical school entrance exam earlier this year, 139, or 8.28%, had passed. The pass rate among 2,202 male candidates was 7.72%.

It was the first time in seven years that the pass rate among women was higher than among men, the Asahi Shimbun reported.

The university attributed the exam results to its decision to “abolish the unfair treatment of female applicants” after last year’s revelations.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:26 pm

Will seppuku be involved?
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:38 pm

ed wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:26 pm
Will seppuku be involved?
Only metaphorically I'm afraid.

The birth rate here is well under replacement rate. And if you follow the logical implications, you can see where this leads.

In its own small way, it was encouraging women to choose a husband and a family over a career that would be difficult to balance with raising a family.
William Shakespeare

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:43 pm

It would be really cool if public servants (sic), from every country, would disembowel themselves if they betrayed their trust. We could have an on-going count via the internet. You go on record for guts in/guts out. You can change your vote at any time. If the % goes over 50% of the population (and this is not a poll it is a reflection of the will of the people) the object will be obliged to slit their own belly.

I like it.
proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:25 pm

Trump would be dead the day he took office.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:47 pm

The important thing is cultural continuity not genetic continuity.

And the robots absolutely will be Japanese if every way.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:06 pm

I leave Work on Time
Japanese TV drama about leaving work on time strikes a chord in country where overwork claims hundreds of lives

Last month, as Americans tuned in to the final episode of Game of Thrones, Japan was indulging in its own television fantasy world.

In this one, a woman dares to leave work at 6pm sharp.

The determination of Yui Higashiyama, a 30-something project manager who wants nothing more than to get out of the office and into her favourite bar for happy hour, rocks the fictional web design firm where she works.

A conniving supervisor and overachieving co-workers try to foil her plans.

When her team faces a seemingly impossible deadline in Episode 9, she puts aside her steely commitment to work-life balance, dramatically declaring, “I will work overtime!”
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 67041.html

Here's an episode that isn't polite enough to have engrish subtitles.
https://en.yii.jp/v_play/bXZfNzEyLW5tXzE=.html
If it comes to netflix, I will watch it.

I wonder if Anax works overtime.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:18 pm

I don't often, although I have some colleagues who always seem to. It's a game I don't choose to play, plus I don't have to play it.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:21 am

After record 16,927 dementia patients went missing in Japan in 2018, expert urges community support

As the number of people with dementia who were reported missing continues to rise in rapidly graying Japan, an expert in the field is underscoring the importance of community-wide support.

The National Police Agency said Thursday that the number of people with dementia who wandered from home and were reported missing reached a record 16,927 last year, up 1,064 from the previous year and nearly doubling since police began collecting such data in 2012.

Of the nearly 17,000 people who wandered off in 2018, 197 could not be found by the end of the year, while 16,227, including those reported missing in 2017 or earlier, were located, according to the police data. The remainder includes cases where a search request was withdrawn for some reason.

With around seven million elderly people in Japan expected to be suffering from dementia in 2025, when all baby boomers will be age 75 or over, the government approved a new program Tuesday on dementia that focuses on delaying the onset of symptoms and slowing the progress of the illness as well as helping patients live more comfortably.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/ ... Q2QA3BUOUm

shuize

Post by shuize » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:58 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:18 pm
I don't often, although I have some colleagues who always seem to. It's a game I don't choose to play, plus I don't have to play it.

That’s the key right there.

I think life in Japan would be hard if I had to play by Japanese rules.

Occasionally, one runs into foreigners determined to be more “Japanese” than the Japanese. To each his own I guess. But the older I get, the more I’m starting to realize life is too short for unnecessary bullshit. Thankfully, I don’t have to deal with it as often as these days.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:27 am

I find reminding them "who won the war" smooths things over.

どうして?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:40 am

Saw a documentary recently regarding the events of July and August 1945 and (perhaps predictably enough) when young Japanese peeps are asked about the significance of the dates of the bombings, none of them know shit about it.

I'm wondering just how close to reality that little drama play actually is.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:47 am

Rogue slug blamed for Japanese railway chaos
A power cut that disrupted rail traffic on a Japanese island last month was caused by a slug, officials say.

More than 12,000 people's journeys were affected when nearly 30 trains on Kyushu shuddered to a halt because of the slimy intruder's actions.

Its electrocuted remains were found lodged inside equipment next to the tracks, Japan Railways says.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:52 am

Sounds like a short story from the never-was-a-kiddy-diddler ACC.

Synopsis: Our brave crew has done everything superhuman to prevent the bad guys from obtaining a ride to Earth, yet one of the little bastards is stowed away hiding out as a piece of electrical wiring. When Earth is reached and they try to open the hatch...

Yea, I laughed too.

Electricity never sleeps.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:58 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:50 pm

Buddhist Robot Mindar Preaches at Temple in Kyoto

We’ve had robots conducting funerals and helping people find spouses. Well, it seems that they are now preaching at Buddhist temples.

At the Kodaiji Temple in Kyoto, a robot is preaching the teachings of Buddha. The humanoid’s name is Mindar and she’s inspired by the Buddhist Goddess of Mercy Kannon Bodhisattva.

Created by Tokyo based A-Lab Co, Mindar stands a bit over six feet tall and weighs 130 pounds. Her body is made of aluminum while silicone is used for the face and hands. The realistic (and a bit creepy) looking humanoid mouths every word of the sermon.

https://yellrobot.com/buddhist-robot-mindar-kyoto/

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:16 pm

I am impressed. The thing even blinks every so often. Very nearly past uncanny valley.

But it's still just the output of a recording device.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

sparks

Post by sparks » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:21 pm

Indeed. Why are peeps so fascinated by this bullshit? It is unworthy of such attention unless/until it starts thinking on it's own.

Then, I'm interested.