Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Witness

Re: Japan

Post by Witness »

shuize wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:27 pm I've heard the Germans spend a lot of time doing this, too.
It was part of WWI propaganda. Some crazy Froggie even wrote a book about it, proving that his (of course) "race" was superior to the German one.
shuize

Post by shuize »

Witness wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:34 pm It was part of WWI propaganda. Some crazy Froggie even wrote a book about it, proving that his (of course) "race" was superior to the German one.

The French spend a lot of time admiring their shit, too?
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Well, rather than simply call it "shit" they have a fancy word for it.

– J. "くそ" D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Toyota plans to build ‘city of the future’ with housing, robots and autonomous vehicles in Japan :dothewave:
Toyota plans to build a “prototype city of the future” on a 175-acre site at the base of Mt. Fuji in Japan to test and develop new emerging technologies such as autonomous vehicles.
By the by, Mt. Fuji is not extinct. It's just been dormant for a few hundred years. Worth keeping in mind.
(After 300 years, is majestic Mount Fuji 'on standby' for next eruption?)

Anyway, about that city of the future:
Akio Toyoda, president of the automaker, described the “Woven City” as a “living laboratory” that will include thousands of residents and will test autonomous vehicles, robotics, personal mobility, smart homes and artificial intelligence in a real-world environment.

“Imagine a fully controlled site that will allow researchers, engineers and scientists to freely test technologies,” he said Monday night when announcing the plans in conjunction with the CES technology conference in Las Vegas this week. “This will be a truly unique opportunity to create an entire community or city from the ground up.”

The company did not announce a cost or timeframe for completion of the project, which plans to break ground in 2021.

The master plan for the city includes three sectors for research of such technologies: fast vehicles; mix of lower speed, personal mobility and pedestrians; and a park-like promenade for pedestrians.

Toyota expects about 2,000 people – from employees to retailers and visiting scientists – to initially live in the Woven City, according to Toyoda.

“I suppose you could say this is my personal field of dreams,” he said. “You know, if you build it, they will come.”

The city is planned to be fully sustainable, according to the company. That includes buildings made mostly of wood to minimize the carbon footprint; fully autonomous, zero-emission vehicles; and solar power in addition to power generated by hydrogen fuel cells.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare (probably Socrates originally)
Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:34 pm It was part of WWI propaganda. Some crazy Froggie even wrote a book about it, proving that his (of course) "race" was superior to the German one.
Found it:

Not a book as I thought, but an article. Apparently the Berlin specimen was destroyed during WWII. :mrgreen:

Quote:
La polychésie germaine (beaucoup déféquer) y est alors la conséquence d’une polyphagie à partir de laquelle l’on pourrait dire « je me remplis la panse donc je suis » ; la fonction intestinale étant la raison d’être allemande.
German polychaesia (defecating a lot) is then the consequence of a polyphagia from which one could say "I fill my belly therefore I am"; the intestinal function being the German raison d'être.

Sorry Anax for polluting (!) your Japan thread… :|
shuize

Post by shuize »

The Japanese criminal justice system in a nutshell.

The Minister of Justice announced in a press conference that Ghosn should return to Japan and "prove his innocence."

森雅子法相が深夜に異例の臨時会見を行い、「潔白と言うのなら、司法の場で正々堂々、無罪を証明すべき」と批判した。

Rough translation of her quote: "If he says he's innocent, he should prove his innocence openly and fairly in court."

If a student wrote that on my exam, I'd fail her.

https://www.fnn.jp/posts/00430032CX/202 ... SGLGY8ux0g
Last edited by shuize on Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

The USA sucks as a country but never, ever leave yourself open to the criminal justice system of any other country. Even the UK.
This space for let
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

shuize wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:10 am The Japanese criminal justice system in a nutshell.

The Minister of Justice announced in a press conference that Ghosn should return to Japan and "prove his innocence."

Rough translation of her quote: "If he says he's innocent, he should prove his innocence openly and fairly in court."

If a student wrote that on my exam, I'd fail her.

https://www.fnn.jp/posts/00430032CX/202 ... SGLGY8ux0g
Yeah. I think she's got the burden of proof backwards there.
shuize

Post by shuize »

Anaxagoras wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:05 pm Yeah. I think she's got the burden of proof backwards there.

Well, it's not like she's the Minister of Justice, member of the Japanese bar, and speaking on behalf of the Japanese government and expected to actually know such things or anything.

As a friend on another site commented, if Ghosn is ever facing extradition, she may have just given him a pretty good anti-human rights predetermined guilt challenge.
Last edited by shuize on Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Carlos Ghosn: Fugitive ex-Nissan boss insists: 'I did not escape justice'

Mr Ghosn reiterated his denials of the charges against him and his claim that "unscrupulous, vindictive individuals" at Nissan were behind what happened.

He also claimed he was interrogated by up to eight hours without lawyers present and that he was told by Japanese prosecutors: "It will get worse for you if you don't just confess."

Mr Ghosn said: "There was no way I was going to be treated fairly, no sign that I would have a normal life for the next four or five years.

"It is not very difficult to come to the conclusion 'you are going to die in Japan or you are going to have to get out'.
https://news.sky.com/story/fugitive-car ... e-11903734
shuize

Post by shuize »

As I’ve said before, it’s not so much the extremely high conviction rate as how they get their “confessions.”

If you added all the guilty pleas to federal and state guilty verdicts in the U.S., I doubt it’d be so terribly different. But in the U.S. they can’t lock you up and question you for months and months without an attorney present with no prospect of ever going to trial and judges that don’t give a shit and are happy to keep rubber stamping prosecutor requests for continued detention.

An independent judiciary is a very valuable thing.
shuize

Post by shuize »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:21 pm [Oka Rocket]

More sailors died in the battle of Okinawa than either Marines or Soldiers.*

Kamikaze planes were a problem. Oka bombers, not so much.

* Wiki says 4,907 Navy, 4,675 Army, and 2,938 Marine Corps deaths in the Battle of Okinawa.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

shuize wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:10 am The Japanese criminal justice system in a nutshell.

Well, if he has nothing to hide. . . .

– J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Witness

Post by Witness »

North Korea denounces Japan for allowing use of imperial flag at Olympics

North Korea's official newspaper denounced Japan on Tuesday over a reported plan to allow the use of its imperial flag during next year's Summer Olympics, saying that such a move is an outright insult to other Asian countries and a mockery of sports spirit.

Japan's organizing committee for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics has reportedly said that it would not prevent spectators from wearing or displaying the Rising Sun Flag, citing that it is already a widely used item in the country.

Used during World War II, the flag is considered a symbol of Japan's militarism. Its display in sports and other public events has drawn strong condemnation from Asian countries that suffered from Japan's invasion.

"(The use of the flag) would be an unbearable insult to the people of other Asian countries that were forced into unhappiness and pain by Japan's invasion and a mockery of the Olympic spirit that supports peace and friendship," the Rodong Sinmun said.

The paper claimed that Japan is trying to turn the Olympics into a "political propaganda stage" and adding that the intention behind the move is to revive its militarism.

South Korea has also called on Japan to retract any plan to allow the use of its old imperial flag during next year's Olympics. Earlier, Seoul sent a letter to International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach, expressing "deep disappointment and concerns" over the issue.

Japan ruled the Korean Peninsula as a colony from 1910-45. (Yonhap)
http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article ... Idx=276055
Witness

Post by Witness »

Exactly my thought.
shuize

Post by shuize »

Doctor X wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:50 am Well, if he has nothing to hide. . . .

Yes. I don't have the link, but I've since read she backtracked and said she "misspoke", "of course Japan has the presumption of innocence," etc.

But I think her first statement better reflects the (usually) unspoken reality.

It also reflects the general assumption in Japan that if the police arrest you, you're guilty.

Overall, Japan is probably safer than the States. And I have a nice life here. But it's criminal justice and family law systems are not first world.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:58 pm Interesting. As if the German team sported the swastika?
The team will not be wearing it. It's a question of whether spectators will be allowed to either wear it or display it.

I don't think the Japanese consider it like the equivalent of a swastika. The flag is used by Japan's Navy, err, Maritime Self Defense Force. Similar flags are used by other branches of the SDF.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Mar ... ense_Force
Witness

Post by Witness »

There was a petition last year:

Japan and the IOC have approved the use of the rising sun flag at the 2020 Olympics. This flag is offensive to many of Asian heritage and U.S. WWII veterans. It was used as a symbol of the Imperial Japanese Army during a time in which they committed terrible atrocities and war crimes. This flag often invokes the same feelings as seeing the Nazi flag. It has no place at the Olympics, an event meant to celebrate unity and peace between nations. Using the flag will hurt relations between South Korea, North Korea, and Japan. It negatively effects the ongoing peace efforts that impact the United States.
We call upon the highest leaders of the United States to oppose the use of the rising sun flag at the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo and to submit a formal complaint to the IOC about its planned use.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petiti ... 0-olympics
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Nuke em again. Just so they know where they stand ...or turn to chalk...as it were. Would be exactly like Germany.....

Oh fuck it, this thread has been Goddwined enough.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
Witness

Post by Witness »

In Japan, foreign parents lead charge against child 'abduction'

TOKYO (Reuters) - A growing number of foreigners in Japan are speaking out against what they say is a little-known but entrenched system that allows one parent in a broken relationship to take away the children and block the other from visiting them.

The issue of what media in Japan and overseas call parental child “abduction” has regained international attention recently, particularly in Europe where documentaries have been made about European fathers whose children were taken by their Japanese wives.

Japan’s judicial system has drawn global attention with the lengthy detention - and subsequent fleeing - of former auto executive Carlos Ghosn in what critics have characterized as a “hostage justice” system.

Australian Scott McIntyre was the latest foreigner to raise his voice against the estrangement of separated parents from their children in Japan.

McIntyre was detained for 1-1/2 months in Tokyo for trespassing when he went to his in-laws’ apartment to seek information on his two children. He remains married, has no restraining order against him, retains full parental rights, but has not been able to see his children since May, when his wife left with them.

“Sitting here today, I don’t know if my children are alive or dead,” McIntyre told a news conference on Thursday, a day after he received a six-month suspended sentence.

He said he had made numerous requests to the police and his wife’s lawyers - the two are going through a divorce mediation - to let him know whether the children are safe, but that those were ignored.

The wife’s legal representative, Jun Kajita, said he could not go into specifics but there were some facts that were “not consistent” in McIntyre’s claims.

“This is only going to change when Japanese parents speak out as well,” McIntyre said, adding that he had received many letters of support from local parents suffering the same plight. “Children should have access to both parents - it’s a fundamental human right.”

No official statistics exist on how widespread the issue is. But non-profit organization Kizuna Child-Parent Reunion estimates that roughly 150,000 children lose contact with a parent every year in Japan because of estrangement from the non-custodial parent.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-japa ... SKBN1ZF13V
shuize

Post by shuize »

witness wrote:[Child Abduction in Japan]

I lived through a mild version of it. It's fucking terrible.

It is also terrible in-country as well. In the last week, I meet two Japanese fathers who, despite trying, haven't seen their kids for years.

To their eternal shame, Japanese courts/politicians won’t do shit about it.

I think the "One parent [almost always the father] doesn't get to see his kids after divorce. Oh well." attitude reflects a flaw in their national character.

I’ve started mentioning to people "You know, even Korea allows joint custody after divorce."

But, even if they establish joint custody, the courts are going to have to enforce visitation, etc. And, as noted above, much as with holding prosecutors' feet to the fire and denying continuous detention, I suspect there is very little judicial/political will to do so. It's one of those things that promises to offer a high level of "troublesomeness" for very low political benefit.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Cedar tree path in Nagano.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Standard kesa giri but notice the last guy uses a much wider cutting sword for the purpose! In fact, I sort of regret never getting a sword used in WWII specifically for beheading. It was basically a machete. The standard katana require upkeep.

Anyways, as the video shows, it is a lot harder than it is suppose to be. The somewhat execrable The Challenge with Various Japanese Original Actors Including Mifune born from the alcohol haze of the director of The Manchurian Candidate and staring a young(er) Scott Glen at least had him ruin a sword trying to cut bamboo. There are some interesting tales about that film involving James Bond Donn Draeger who convinced the director not to end it in a manner so ridiculous even Nyarl would blush.
Two swords would fight themselves.

Yes.

Just themselves.

The director drank a lot, but he did sober up enough to give us Rōnin years later.
Anyways, those are Anax's Waifu's tatami wrapped around bamboo. Cutting more than one is still pretty impressive.

Obata has done a shit-ton of Hollywood work:

– J.D.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

there seems to be a particular angle that works will and falls off sharply on either side
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Link:

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

“Sweet pleasure for your mouth”

– J.D.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Spoiler:
President Gerald Ford in Japan, 1974.
shuize

Post by shuize »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:52 pm

I wonder how many kamikaze pilots would have had “mechanical trouble” if they’d had the Swiss/Swedish option.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Witness

Post by Witness »

More Than Friends, But Not Quite Lovers: Japanese Marriage Trends

https://www.nippon.com/en/japan-data/h0 ... rends.html

:notsure:
shuize

Post by shuize »

I knew a couple in their mid-30s (friends of my girlfriend) who reportedly had sex twice on their honeymoon and then no sex for well over a year. It might have been two years.

The woman (I'll call her Chie) is attractive.

When my girlfriend mentioned this to me, claiming Chie wanted to have more sex but for whatever reason they just didn't, I told her something to the effect of "Well, I don't know what's going on between them. But Chie sounds pretty naive to me. Just because they're not having sex together doesn't mean they're not having sex."

Of course, I was right. The guy got caught with discount coupons from a massage parlor in his pocket. And while he's an idiot for getting caught the way he did, I don't think he's completely responsible. Chie apparently didn't either, since they're still together.

Now that I think about it, I know another guy who got caught in a similar manner. So I have to wonder if it's not a very Japanese passive aggressive way of letting their wives know they're not satisfied.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

I'm sending this from Tokyo Station (underground) right now. The facade of the station building still looks much the same. It's the farther away building on the left.
Witness

Post by Witness »

[Stupid URL tags replaced.]
Last edited by Witness on Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shuize

Post by shuize »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:38 pm Need a translation of the Japanese on this label.

The Japanese isn't as colorful as the English. It's just a straightforward description of the contents/ingredients:

Whisky
Original Ingredients: Malt, Grain
Volume 500ml, 51% alcohol
Maker: Nikka Whisky, Inc.
Tokyo, Minato-ku, Minami Aoyama 5-4-31.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Yeah, someone did the photoshop on that. What it actually says is Nikka Whisky From The Barrel.

https://hiway.online/shop/?product-id=5 ... %255B%255D
Witness

Post by Witness »

Japanese chef wins first Michelin 3-star rating in Paris

PARIS (Kyodo) -- French restaurant Kei in Paris has earned a three-star rating in the 2020 French edition of the Michelin Guide released Monday, making its owner-chef Kei Kobayashi the first person from Japan to receive the honor in France.

Kei opened in central Paris in 2011 and won a star the following year. Its status in the prestigious guide's listings for France was upgraded to a two-star rating in 2017.

Kobayashi, 42, is known for his unique take on French cuisine featuring Japanese ingredients. At the ceremony unveiling the latest French edition of the Michelin Guide, Kobayashi said he was very surprised by the three-star rating.
https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Food-B ... g-in-Paris