Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Anaxagoras

Re: Japan

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:33 pm

Animatronics. Like at Chuck E Cheese.

Calling it a robot is a stretch.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:35 pm

When they move on to sexbots, the ones that look like Chuck E Cheese will be a very small niche at best. :BigGrin3:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:39 am

Why can't you heathens grant even a clunky, primitive robot a modicum of deserved spirituality? :(

I will pray for you.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:45 am

Witness wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:39 am
Why can't you heathens grant even a clunky, primitive robot a modicum of deserved spirituality? :(

I will pray for you.
Just as an aside, it was also Buddhists who first automated praying. 8)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayer_wheel

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:19 am

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:49 pm

:BigGrin3:

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:07 pm

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:24 am

https://apnews.com/c7be109d7ce84db2aba7eddc3fc8a854

YOKOHAMA, Japan (AP) — Japan’s culture of cute makes no exceptions for poop. It gets a pop twist at the Unko Museum in Yokohama near Tokyo.

Here, the poop is artificial, nothing like what would be in a toilet, and comes in twisty ice cream and cupcake shapes, in all colors and sizes.

“The poops are colorful and come out nicely in photos,” said Haruka Okubo, a student visiting part of the museum devoted to all-important selfies. “The shape is so round and cute.”

In Japan, little poop-shaped erasers with faces and other small items have long been popular items collected by children, and sometimes older folks. As elsewhere, scatological jokes are popular and bodily functions discussed openly: a recent morning variety show by public broadcaster NHK featured tips on how to deal with farts.

Visitors to the museum get a short video introduction and then are asked to sit on one of seven colorful, non-functional toilets lined up against the wall.

Music plays as a user pretends to poop, then a brightly colored souvenir “poop” can be collected from inside the toilet bowl, to be taken home after the tour.

A ceiling-high poop sculpture in the main hall erupts every 30 minutes, spitting out little foam poops.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:44 am

What happens to celebrities in Japan if they are caught taking drugs?

Why Japan Is So Strict About Drugs
If you’re in Japan, keep this mantra in mind: Never do drugs in this country. Ever.

As previously reported, actor and musician Pierre Taki was arrested earlier this week on suspected cocaine use. What happened next seemed inevitable. Sega pulled Judgment, a PS4 game in which Taki voices a character. Walt Disney Japan said it was considering replacing him as the official Japanese language voice of Olaf in Frozen 2. Taki’s television shows were cancelled, and Sony Music stopped sales of his music.

Pierre Taki has not been convicted of any crime, but Japan is a country with a conviction rate of over 99 percent.

The United States is hardly perfect with its drug laws. Numerous lives have been ruined by its zero-tolerance policy. American celebrities, however, have long appeared to play by different rules. This is not true in Japan, where if the rich and famous are caught with illegal substances, it’s not a speedbump on their careers, but a stop sign.

Taki’s is a story that has played out countless times over the years in Japan, with arrested celebs booted from TV and sales of their music ceased. For example, when musician Suzuki Shigeru of the seminal rock band Happy End was arrested in 2009, his recordings were pulled from store shelves.

That same year, pop star Noriko Sakai was also brought up on drug charges, destroying her goody two-shoes image. Initially, Sakai fled the authorities, ditched her mobile phone, and then dyed and cut her hair, perhaps to avoid having to take a drug test that might come out unfavorably. Authorities found a small amount of stimulants at Sakai’s apartment. She turned herself in and was given a three year suspended sentence. Her albums were pulled, her TV commercials stopped airing and her clothing line was no longer carried in stores.

This isn’t mere ostracization or punishment. All of these are examples of what is called jishuku (自粛) in Japanese, which means “self-restraint.” This is not unique to Japan; people all over the world feel self-restraint. But in Japan, companies and media conglomerates feel it acutely and quickly. They are not required to take these actions but do so because they are expected to. Sega’s official statement about pulling Judgment actually contains the word jishuku (as in 販売自粛 or hanbai jishuku, meaning “restraining oneself from selling”).

Japanese society is built on very high expectations. The expectation is that if some has broken the law, a company should not profit from that person’s work. The taint of crime, especially drug-related, is seen to reflect on the larger group. Making money off an alleged criminal is certainly not a good look in image-conscious Japan. What complicates thing is that in the case of Pierre Taki, he’s not the only person involved in making Judgment. He’s not even the star of the game. There is a great deal of collateral damage in jishuku. Companies know that, which explains why they always apologize for any trouble their decision causes, for whatever that’s worth.
Kinda bizarre, isn't it, that they would stop selling a game that was made by who knows how many people and how many man-hours of work it took to create, because one guy involved was suspected of taking drugs. Now that is social pressure. They are not legally required to do this. It's just a social expectation.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:54 am

Yeah.

We have talked about the whole issue with smoking. Professional Star "Waiting to Get Out of This Slave Contract to Go to the MLB" players have had to apologize for smoking when "underage." In a manga I read to improve my [Self-abuse--Ed.] reading, two characters get suspended for a rather minor issue: riding a motorbike. Their mothers bow to each other and apologize for their individual failure in responsibility which led to the other's daughter getting in trouble.

Why am I lecturing you? You know all about "face" and all of that.

So there are MANY examples where voice actresses are OBLITERATED from credits, DVD/BlueRay releases when long after a series is done they are found to have used a drug or whatever.

Despite the article you quote's claim about how it is in Japan, many of the "celebrities" are not seen in the same indulgent light as they are in FREEDOM. If they were male politicians it would be different. The reason the actors and actresses do not get a "free pass" as they do in FREEDOM is because Japanese traditionally look down on such professions despite the public fawning.

The basic attitude to J-Pop and voice actors is: they are utterly replaceable.

In the rain.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:48 am

Meanwhile:

in Japan nothing is sacred.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:15 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:41 pm

Woodcuts by Ray Morimura:

Source & lots more: https://www.laboiteverte.fr/gravures-bo ... ura/?l=sb1

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:30 am

I really like the first one.

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:36 am

Why doesn't Anax apologise more? Why is there little if any self abasement?

Some of us notice.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:43 am

For Doctor X's "friend"

変態!!!
Spoiler:

William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:21 am

嘘だ!

--J.D.

P.S. あのう、ちょっと、幾らですか?

友達を求めているよ。

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:45 pm

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:08 am

So just a quick observation about the difference between bicycle culture in Japan (my own personal observations apply to the Tokyo/Yokohama area):

A lot of people ride bikes here. I think it's easier to get around on a bike for a few reasons. First one is, you can ride on either sidewalks or streets in Japan. Some wider sidewalks even have notional bike lanes although pedestrians tend to not notice.

The second reason is that most people don't wear helmets. On a recent evening on my way to the train station after work I counted the number of bicyclists I saw with and without helmets. There were at least 6 people not wearing helmets for everyone who was. The main exception being mothers with small children in a child seat (for the child that is). There was also one guy I saw who looked like he was on a racing bike wearing racing clothes who wore a helmet. The casual riders however did not for the most part.

Third reason is that bikes don't get stolen here (much). If you park it somewhere it will still be there when you come back.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:47 am

School issues are No. 1 reason behind youth suicides in 2018, Japanese government white paper finds

School-related matters led to more suicides last year among youth aged between 10 and 19 than any other issue, the government said Tuesday in its annual paper on the topic.

Of 568 people in that age bracket who took their lives last year, 188 were attributed to school-related issues, followed by health problems at 119 and family issues at 116, according to the 2019 white paper on suicide prevention measures.

The results, which included cases of multiple identified motives as written in suicide notes or elsewhere, underscores that school affairs play a key role in the lives of young people.

The suicide rate for people aged below 20 rose 0.2 percentage point from the previous year to 2.8 in 2018, hitting a record high since the data was first logged in 1978, a government report showed Tuesday.

Across all age groups the rate, which represents the number of suicides per population of 100,000, stood at 16.5 — down for the ninth consecutive year and marking a record low — according to the paper. Still, the figure is higher than in other advanced countries.

While the overall number of suicides in Japan fell for the ninth consecutive year in 2018 to 20,840 — slipping below 21,000 for the first time in 37 years — the figure for those in the 10- to 19-year-old age bracket has been roughly flat since 1998.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/ ... S_OhHBUOUl