Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: Japan

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:39 pm

But will that stop NHK agents from harassing you?

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:20 pm

I don't actually know. I just pay the fee. My wife is the one who would have to put up with that and I've been living here for a long time now. We've been paying the whole time. It's set up automatically so I don't really think about it.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

shuize

Post by shuize » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:09 am

I wouldn’t mind it so much if their agents didn’t have such a fucking attitude. The last time I had to deal with one I was at my girlfriend’s apartment and made the mistake of answering the door. Apparently, just not answering the door is the easiest (and typically passive aggressive Japanese) response. Anyway, since it wasn’t my house, I told him “Not my house.” He started with the false friendly small talk and then, as if I was born yesterday, quickly moved on to the “By the way, does your girlfriend have a TV?” Well, of course I’m not going to rat her out, so I told him “I don’t know, I don’t watch TV.” (Ha! Ha!) He wasn’t at all happy with that answer and hinted around that I might get in trouble for not cooperating. Are you fucking kidding me? Call the police, big NHK man. I’m going to work. Of course he didn’t. But fuck him.

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:13 am

Japan's Hayabusa2 spacecraft just shot a tiny rover at asteroid Ryugu

Japan's Hayabusa2 spacecraft has been chasing near-Earth asteroid Ryugu since launch in Dec. 2014, getting up close and personal with the space rock. During the chase it has deployed two rovers to Ryugu's surface and blasted a hole in Ryugu's surface to collect samples with a tiny cannonball. Its new mission feels like the natural progression for Hayabusa2 -- now it's shooting a rover at the surface.

When we say shooting, we mean it in the basketball sense here. The rover is the basketball and Hayabusa2 is taking a three-point shot from 3,280 feet away. It's shooting from the parking lot and it's doing it in the park with a communications delay. Impressive, but will it make the basket?

Hayabusa2 has been carrying the MINERVA-II2 capsule, which itself contains a rover. That rover, built by Tohoku University in Japan, is designed to briefly live on the surface of the asteroid. It's only about 6 inches wide and the same tall, but the cylindrical, lightweight rover carries a couple of cameras, in addition to an accelerometer and thermometer to perform science at the surface.

Members of the by Japanese space agency, JAXA, have previously reported errors with the MINERVA-II2 rover. In November 2018, Elizabeth Tasker told the Planetary Society "communication between the rover and spacecraft was fine, but the CPU did not respond." That throws up the possibility the rover will not be able to collect data and return it to Hayabusa2 and Earth for analysis.
https://www.cnet.com/news/japans-hayabu ... oid-ryugu/

shuize

Post by shuize » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:10 pm

Witness wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:13 am
Japan's Hayabusa2 spacecraft just shot a tiny rover at asteroid Ryugu

In the Urashima Taro story, isn't Ryugu the Sea God's Dragon Palace?

That's Japan's version of the Rip Van Winkle story, so they might want to be careful what they're shooting at.

Just saying.

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:40 am

Japanese kill 223 whales in first commercial whaling season for 31 years

APANESE whaling ship Nisshin Maru returned to port today, completing the first commercial whale-hunting season sanctioned by the country in 31 years.

The whaling fleet killed 187 Bryde’s whales, 25 sei whales and 11 minke whales, three species of rorqual that average 45, 65 and 30 feet in length, returning with 1,430 tons of whale meat — a slightly lower total than from last year’s “research” hunts that conservationists long argued were a mask for commercial whaling.

Operator Kyodo Senpaku co-president Eiji Mori said: “We were worried if we could catch any, but they did a great job.”

Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Minister Taku Eto said: “It’s wonderful we had a good start. We will continue our support so that commercial whaling gets back on track.”

Commercial whaling all but wiped out most large whales in the first part of the 20th century and populations remain a fraction of their former size.

Nonetheless, Japan left the International Whaling Commission in last December, claiming that a moratorium on whaling imposed in 1986 had gone on long enough.

Commercial whaling was resumed on July 1 this year.
https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article ... n-31-years

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:02 am

Fifth chapter of oldest ‘Tale of Genji’ copy found in Tokyo

KYOTO--Experts confirmed the authenticity of a chapter of the oldest manuscript of Japanese classic novel “Genji Monogatari” (The Tale of Genji) that was discovered in storage at a home in Tokyo.

The manuscript of “Wakamurasaki” is the fifth Genji chapter confirmed to have been transcribed by poet Fujiwara no Teika (1162-1241), Reizeike Shiguretei Bunko, a foundation in Kyoto’s Kamigyo Ward, announced on Oct. 8.

The “Wakamurasaki” chapter depicts one of the highlights of the epic: The protagonist, Prince Genji, meets a girl who later becomes his wife, Murasaki-no-ue, the second-most important character of the tale.

The public interest foundation manages cultural properties belonging to the Reizei family, which has ancestral ties to Teika. The manuscript was found in February at the Tokyo home of Motofuyu Okochi, the 72-year-old current head of the Okochi family of the Mikawa-Yoshida feudal domain (today’s Toyohashi in Aichi Prefecture).

The manuscript, 21.9 centimeters long and 14.3 cm wide, had been kept in a large oblong chest in a storeroom.

A family record showed that the manuscript has been in the possession of the Okochi family since it was handed down from the Kuroda family of the Fukuoka feudal domain in 1743.
http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201910090047.html

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:49 pm

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:43 am

Shinkansen trains flooded. We just had a major typhoon come through yesterday.

William Shakespeare

shuize

Post by shuize » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:47 pm

Yes, that was a hell of a storm. Something like 1000mm (39.3 inches) of rain in 48 hours in some areas and the flooding is still ongoing.

But, in other news, Japan just beat Scotland in the Rugby World Cup 28-21, advancing to the best eight for the first time ever.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:22 pm

Naruhito: Japan's emperor proclaims enthronement in ancient ceremony (BBC)

If anyone's curious there's a couple of brief videos of the ceremony if you follow the link.

ETA: here's a longer unedited video of the ceremony. Skip ahead to see the people in their funny kabuki costumes. Too boring to watch straight through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROmM1B87e2o
William Shakespeare

solely

Post by solely » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:41 pm

Congratulations.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:37 pm

his wife has gonorrhea. I should know.

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:13 pm

Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:43 pm

↑ ed's Photoshop skills have improved. :)

Minamoto Yoshiie at the Nakoso barrier, Kuniyoshi 1797-1861, Utagawa, Japan