Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
shuize

Re: Japan

Post by shuize » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:15 am

On the one hand, I'm pretty impressed he managed to get away.

On the other, no foreigner is ever going to get bail again. Ever.

Carlos Ghosn, Fallen Nissan Boss, Flees Japan to Escape 'Political Persecution'

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ca ... spartanntp

shuize

Post by shuize » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:15 am

Insane Japanese* art professor tries to kill colleague with fire poker, a rock, and garden shears** in case of unrequited love.

This part struck me [Ha. Ha.] as very Japanese.

As Hachiyanagi continued to rain blows, the victim said she asked why this was happening.

"Ms. Hachiyanagi reportedly said that she loved her for many years and that she should have known" ...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mo ... e-n1111146

* Based on the quoted statement above, I was reasonably sure she was native Japanese. A quick internet search confirmed my suspicions.

https://heavy.com/news/2020/01/rie-hachiyanagi/

** Not too far off the Japanese version of "Rock, Paper, Scissors." She messed up on "paper" ... which is kind of funny since "paper" was reportedly her "art" specialty. Paper not being deadly enough, she apparently picked up the next closest "P" object at hand.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:42 am

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:53 am

Yup. That's a madwoman alright.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:38 pm

上流階級のトイレ。排泄物を見て健康状態を確認したんだとか。
https://rekijin.com/?p=12684

:mrgreen:

shuize

Post by shuize » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:27 pm

Witness wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:38 pm
上流階級のトイレ。排泄物を見て健康状態を確認したんだとか。

I've heard the Germans spend a lot of time doing this, too.

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:34 pm

shuize wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:27 pm
I've heard the Germans spend a lot of time doing this, too.
It was part of WWI propaganda. Some crazy Froggie even wrote a book about it, proving that his (of course) "race" was superior to the German one.

shuize

Post by shuize » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:51 pm

Witness wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:34 pm
It was part of WWI propaganda. Some crazy Froggie even wrote a book about it, proving that his (of course) "race" was superior to the German one.

The French spend a lot of time admiring their shit, too?

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:37 am

Well, rather than simply call it "shit" they have a fancy word for it.

– J. "くそ" D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:38 am

Toyota plans to build ‘city of the future’ with housing, robots and autonomous vehicles in Japan :dothewave:
Toyota plans to build a “prototype city of the future” on a 175-acre site at the base of Mt. Fuji in Japan to test and develop new emerging technologies such as autonomous vehicles.
By the by, Mt. Fuji is not extinct. It's just been dormant for a few hundred years. Worth keeping in mind.
(After 300 years, is majestic Mount Fuji 'on standby' for next eruption?)

Anyway, about that city of the future:
Akio Toyoda, president of the automaker, described the “Woven City” as a “living laboratory” that will include thousands of residents and will test autonomous vehicles, robotics, personal mobility, smart homes and artificial intelligence in a real-world environment.

“Imagine a fully controlled site that will allow researchers, engineers and scientists to freely test technologies,” he said Monday night when announcing the plans in conjunction with the CES technology conference in Las Vegas this week. “This will be a truly unique opportunity to create an entire community or city from the ground up.”

The company did not announce a cost or timeframe for completion of the project, which plans to break ground in 2021.

The master plan for the city includes three sectors for research of such technologies: fast vehicles; mix of lower speed, personal mobility and pedestrians; and a park-like promenade for pedestrians.

Toyota expects about 2,000 people – from employees to retailers and visiting scientists – to initially live in the Woven City, according to Toyoda.

“I suppose you could say this is my personal field of dreams,” he said. “You know, if you build it, they will come.”

The city is planned to be fully sustainable, according to the company. That includes buildings made mostly of wood to minimize the carbon footprint; fully autonomous, zero-emission vehicles; and solar power in addition to power generated by hydrogen fuel cells.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:45 am

Witness wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:34 pm
Found it:

Not a book as I thought, but an article. Apparently the Berlin specimen was destroyed during WWII. :mrgreen:

Quote:
La polychésie germaine (beaucoup déféquer) y est alors la conséquence d’une polyphagie à partir de laquelle l’on pourrait dire « je me remplis la panse donc je suis » ; la fonction intestinale étant la raison d’être allemande.
German polychaesia (defecating a lot) is then the consequence of a polyphagia from which one could say "I fill my belly therefore I am"; the intestinal function being the German raison d'être.

Sorry Anax for polluting (!) your Japan thread… :|

shuize

Post by shuize » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:10 am

The Japanese criminal justice system in a nutshell.

The Minister of Justice announced in a press conference that Ghosn should return to Japan and "prove his innocence."

森雅子法相が深夜に異例の臨時会見を行い、「潔白と言うのなら、司法の場で正々堂々、無罪を証明すべき」と批判した。

Rough translation of her quote: "If he says he's innocent, he should prove his innocence openly and fairly in court."

If a student wrote that on my exam, I'd fail her.

https://www.fnn.jp/posts/00430032CX/202 ... SGLGY8ux0g
Last edited by shuize on Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:23 am

The USA sucks as a country but never, ever leave yourself open to the criminal justice system of any other country. Even the UK.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!
My indifference is boundless :x
[img]/img]

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:05 pm

shuize wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:10 am

The Minister of Justice announced in a press conference that Ghosn should return to Japan and "prove his innocence."

Rough translation of her quote: "If he says he's innocent, he should prove his innocence openly and fairly in court."

If a student wrote that on my exam, I'd fail her.

https://www.fnn.jp/posts/00430032CX/202 ... SGLGY8ux0g
Yeah. I think she's got the burden of proof backwards there.
William Shakespeare

shuize

Post by shuize » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:27 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:05 pm
Yeah. I think she's got the burden of proof backwards there.

Well, it's not like she's the Minister of Justice, member of the Japanese bar, and speaking on behalf of the Japanese government and expected to actually know such things or anything.

As a friend on another site commented, if Ghosn is ever facing extradition, she may have just given him a pretty good anti-human rights predetermined guilt challenge.
Last edited by shuize on Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:13 am

Carlos Ghosn: Fugitive ex-Nissan boss insists: 'I did not escape justice'

Mr Ghosn reiterated his denials of the charges against him and his claim that "unscrupulous, vindictive individuals" at Nissan were behind what happened.

He also claimed he was interrogated by up to eight hours without lawyers present and that he was told by Japanese prosecutors: "It will get worse for you if you don't just confess."

Mr Ghosn said: "There was no way I was going to be treated fairly, no sign that I would have a normal life for the next four or five years.

"It is not very difficult to come to the conclusion 'you are going to die in Japan or you are going to have to get out'.
https://news.sky.com/story/fugitive-car ... e-11903734

shuize

Post by shuize » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:10 am

As I’ve said before, it’s not so much the extremely high conviction rate as how they get their “confessions.”

If you added all the guilty pleas to federal and state guilty verdicts in the U.S., I doubt it’d be so terribly different. But in the U.S. they can’t lock you up and question you for months and months without an attorney present with no prospect of ever going to trial and judges that don’t give a shit and are happy to keep rubber stamping prosecutor requests for continued detention.

An independent judiciary is a very valuable thing.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:21 pm

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

shuize

Post by shuize » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:28 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:21 pm
[Oka Rocket]

More sailors died in the battle of Okinawa than either Marines or Soldiers.*

Kamikaze planes were a problem. Oka bombers, not so much.

* Wiki says 4,907 Navy, 4,675 Army, and 2,938 Marine Corps deaths in the Battle of Okinawa.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:50 am

shuize wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:10 am

Well, if he has nothing to hide. . . .

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image