Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Anaxagoras

Re: Japan

Post by Anaxagoras »

Rob Lister wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:45 am
Well, Hokkaido has 8 letters, so ...
Only three characters in Japanese though. 北海道

But latitude-wise it's like the south of France, which (I've never been there, but) I think of as a warm place.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Anaxagoras wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:49 am
Rob Lister wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:45 am
Well, Hokkaido has 8 letters, so ...
Only three characters in Japanese though. 北海道
Okay, sure, but how many distinct line swipes is that?

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Many.

Dipshit. How is this relevant? :x
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

I think you are more than well aware. Stop playing dumb.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Deer in Japanese city forced to venture outside of parks in search of food as tourist numbers drop

Tweets & video: https://www.indy100.com/article/deer-co ... st-9402756

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Does Japan have wolves perhaps?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Satoshi Uematsu: Japanese man who killed 19 disabled people sentenced to death

Satoshi Uematsu said people with disabilities who were unable to communicate well had no human rights, said broadcaster Kyodo.

The 30-year old had once worked in the care facility, located near Tokyo.

The case is one of Japan's worst mass killings and has shocked people in a country where violent crime is rare.

In an earlier interview with Japan's Mainichi Shimbun newspaper, Uematsu had said there was "no point in living" for people with mental disabilities and that he "had to do it for the sake of society".

The Yokohama District Court on Monday ordered him to death by hanging.

Bugger'd by Colonists
– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:15 pm
Does Japan have wolves perhaps?
Not anymore. There were two species of wolf that were once native to Japan: the Japanese wolf and the Hokkaido wolf, but they are no more.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Doctor X wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:15 am
Satoshi Uematsu: Japanese man who killed 19 disabled people sentenced to death
I remember this case. I concur that the death penalty is appropriate. According to the article, his lawyers tried to argue that he had a mental illness, but I don't really see the grounds for that. He turned himself into the police and has never expressed any remorse for what he did. Nor does he plan to appeal the sentence.
William Shakespeare

shuize

Post by shuize »

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that "four" is the number of murders that will pretty well guarantee a death penalty sentence in Japan.

Ah, yes, here it is: The Nagayama Standard.

In Japan, the courts follow guidelines laid down in the trial of Norio Nagayama, a 19-year-old from a severely disadvantaged background, who committed four separate robbery-murders in 1968 and was finally hanged in 1997. The Tokyo High Court originally gave him a life term, but in 1983 the Supreme Court of Japan held it was an error, and quashed this sentence ...*

The number of victims killed is the most important criterion for imposition of the death penalty ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_p ... a_Standard

* I'm almost positive the underlined would be a double jeopardy violation in the United States. I know if a jury ever said "life without parole", a higher court wouldn't be able to flip it to "death" later.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Meanwhile . . .

– J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Witness

Post by Witness »

Strengthening border measures to prevent the spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19):
Suspension of visa exemption measures

1. Based on “New measures to strengthen border measures”, which were decided at the 20th Meeting of the Novel Coronavirus Response Headquarters on March 18th, from 0:00 am of March 21st (Japan Standard Time (JST)) until the last day of April, visa exemption measures for the following countries will be suspended.

Schengen countries (Austria , Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland), Andorra, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Egypt, Iran, Ireland, Monaco, Romania, San Marino, the United Kingdom, and Vatican

2. As a consequence, holders of a passport issued by the countries mentioned above, intending to enter Japan without obtaining a visa, will not be permitted to land in Japan from 0:00 am of March 21st (JST). Those who plan to travel to Japan from these countries are advised to take note of these measures.
https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001052.html

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Saw news today that an IOC member is saying that the Olympics will in fact be postponed until 2021. I know that there was speculation that they would do something like this, and it's almost all but official now.

Last summer they had a lottery in Japan for the right to buy tickets to Olympic events because the demand for tickets was much higher than the number of seats available. I was kinda lukewarm about it but I figured that an opportunity like that doesn't happen very often so we entered the pool for a couple of the events, but we didn't win. Now I'm glad that we didn't win because they're saying no refunds. People who bought tickets for any events are just SOL now.
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Anaxagoras wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:02 am
Saw news today that an IOC member is saying that the Olympics will in fact be postponed until 2021. I know that there was speculation that they would do something like this, and it's almost all but official now.

Last summer they had a lottery in Japan for the right to buy tickets to Olympic events because the demand for tickets was much higher than the number of seats available. I was kinda lukewarm about it but I figured that an opportunity like that doesn't happen very often so we entered the pool for a couple of the events, but we didn't win. Now I'm glad that we didn't win because they're saying no refunds. People who bought tickets for any events are just SOL now.
Do the tickets transfer over to the postponed date? I don't know how it works in Japan, but in US if the event is postponed then they don't have to give you a refund but you still have a valid ticket. If they cancel the event then they will have to give back money. The devil's in the details.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Grammatron wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:17 am

Do the tickets transfer over to the postponed date? I don't know how it works in Japan, but in US if the event is postponed then they don't have to give you a refund but you still have a valid ticket. If they cancel the event then they will have to give back money. The devil's in the details.
It's probably something like that. I don't know the details but I guess that at least some people just wanted their money back.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Meet Quaran, the official quarantine mascot of Japan

As many parts of the world are implementing some form of lockdown, self-quarantine or social distancing measures to fight the Covid-19 coronavirus pandemic, major cities in Japan including Tokyo are shuttering museums and attractions while also adjusting department store operating hours. People have also been advised to work from home and avoid rush hours on crowded trains to help contain the spread of the virus.

This is where Quaran comes in. Of course Japan would have a mascot for quarantine. Although this cute mascot was created by Japan's Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare before the coronavirus outbreak, there's no better time for it to shine than now. Quaran is identified as a small 'fairy' but appears in life-size when making public appearances.

https://www.timeout.com/tokyo/news/meet ... pan-031920

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Progress?
Term “military comfort women” returns to Japanese government-approved junior high textbooks

Within a history textbook submitted by Tokyo-based publisher Yamakawa Shuppansha, the following passage appears when discussing the Japanese Imperial Army’s activities in leadup to World War II and the conflict itself:
“At ‘comfort facilities’ established in the war zones, women (called ‘military comfort women’) were gathered from place such as Korea, China, and the Philippines.”
No junior high history text approved by the Japanese government since 2004 has included the “military” designation, which had drawn criticism from those who felt the term was in inappropriate description. With Japanese children entering middle school at the age of 12 or 13, and that stage of the educational system lasting three years, that would mean that no one under the age of 28 was taught using a government-approved junior high textbook which used the term “military comfort women.”

Wocket NUUZU!
– J.D.

Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Definitely worth viewing all the images in sequence:

https://twitter.com/shintarokago47/stat ... 7384123394
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.