Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Re: Japan

Post by Pyrrho »

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Pyrrho wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:59 pm
A matter of concern because that is a girl fulfilling a traditional male role. :BigGrin3:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

Posted before?

Tough

Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Oh if looks could kill. . . .

– J.D.

P.S. Move over Corona-chan, nothing beats the Japanese Original virus:

though my favorite remains:

Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

The vaguely amusing part of that "pitch" was that both Sadako and Kayako "died" after the pitch and Toshio came in as a pinch runner and reached first on an error.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

I remember full versions where both Sadako and Kayoko "lurched" their way on the field.

Toshio just sits crouched on the field.

Sadako has thrown out a few pitches before her pairing ala "Jason versus Michael Meyers" with the Juon franchise. She always shakes off the catcher.

Interestingly, on my table is the new novel in the Ringu series. Unlike the movies, the point is that each book completely changed the meaning of what was happening. They tried that with the Japanese Original sequel to Ringu, Rasen as based on the book, but it came out too soon, was too different, and people did not like it. So they changed back to the horror story and gave the abomination Ringu 2 to Ringu 69+ and all of that crap. There is a decent adaptation of Suzuki's Birthday which sort of tried to "fix" the movies at that point with the actual Suzuki story with Sadako being a young woman rather than Evil Child.

Then we got Ringu versus Juon versus Elfen Lied [Stop that. – Ed.] so who knows.

No one has tried to film the last book of the trilogy: Roppu or "Loop."

雨に

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Taking a great game and making it even greater. :coolspecs:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

Pyrrho wrote:
Just realized that thanks to the new online meetings paradigm, I've basically become that guy in the upper left corner.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

shuize

Post by shuize »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:35 pm
Pyrrho wrote:
A matter of concern because that is a girl fulfilling a traditional male role. :BigGrin3:

Most of those Japanese shows are fake.

Years ago, when I was living in a Japanese dormitory, one of the dorm guys was a contestant in a spicy food eating contest. The producers went to his dorm room and basically invented a backstory that would look interesting to viewers.

His "story" was that he would supposedly take a late night study break and eat jalapeno peppers to stay awake.

The film crew brought the peppers, closed the curtains, cleared all the shit off his desk, and filmed him eating the jalapenos in the middle of the "night."

The biggest laugh from his dorm mates was the idea that he ever studied at all.
"Don't trust China. China is asshoe."

Witness

Post by Witness »

Wedding dress, 1970.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Technically a kimono, but I understand.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness »

From last year:
Why some Japanese pensioners want to go to jail

Japan is in the grip of an elderly crime wave - the proportion of crimes committed by people over the age of 65 has been steadily increasing for 20 years. The BBC's Ed Butler asks why.

Michael Newman, an Australian-born demographer with the Tokyo-based research house, Custom Products Research Group points out that the "measly" basic state pension in Japan is very hard to live on.

In a paper published in 2016 he calculates that the costs of rent, food and healthcare alone will leave recipients in debt if they have no other income - and that's before they've paid for heating or clothes. In the past it was traditional for children to look after their parents, but in the provinces a lack of economic opportunities has led many younger people to move away, leaving their parents to fend for themselves.

"The pensioners don't want to be a burden to their children, and feel that if they can't survive on the state pension then pretty much the only way not to be a burden is to shuffle themselves away into prison," he says.

The repeat offending is a way "to get back into prison" where there are three square meals a day and no bills, he says.

"It's almost as though you're rolled out, so you roll yourself back in."

Newman points out that suicide is also becoming more common among the elderly - another way for them to fulfill what he they may regard as "their duty to bow out".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-47033704

shuize

Post by shuize »

Witness wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:09 am
From last year:
Why some Japanese pensioners want to go to jail

Japan is in the grip of an elderly crime wave - the proportion of crimes committed by people over the age of 65 has been steadily increasing for 20 years. The BBC's Ed Butler asks why.

Michael Newman, an Australian-born demographer with the Tokyo-based research house, Custom Products Research Group points out that the "measly" basic state pension in Japan is very hard to live on.

In a paper published in 2016 he calculates that the costs of rent, food and healthcare alone will leave recipients in debt if they have no other income - and that's before they've paid for heating or clothes. In the past it was traditional for children to look after their parents, but in the provinces a lack of economic opportunities has led many younger people to move away, leaving their parents to fend for themselves.

"The pensioners don't want to be a burden to their children, and feel that if they can't survive on the state pension then pretty much the only way not to be a burden is to shuffle themselves away into prison," he says.

The repeat offending is a way "to get back into prison" where there are three square meals a day and no bills, he says.

"It's almost as though you're rolled out, so you roll yourself back in."

Newman points out that suicide is also becoming more common among the elderly - another way for them to fulfill what he they may regard as "their duty to bow out".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-47033704

Yeah, there are two main pension schemes in Japan. The basic, which is what most people are on, is not very good. My ex-father-in-law once told me how much he received every other month.* I may have the numbers wrong, but I seem to recall it was 130,000 yen (about $1,200) every two months.

He retired early from his company and only did side jobs until he quit working altogether well before retirement age. That's probably part of the reason it's so low. That meant my ex-mother-in-law had to go to work which pissed her off no end. I remember hearing from my ex- that he told his wife, "Well, I have enough for myself." (Ha. Ha.)

They were dicks to me most of my marriage, so I didn't go out of my way to help them very often. Although, I'm pretty sure my ex-wife sent them money on the sly which I never hassled her about. In my divorce, my lawyer said I could try to claim that money back, but I told her to let it go.

* I was standing out in the cold helping him fill the big outdoor kerosene heater they keep outside their house while he balanced on a rickety ladder. He told me, "They'll deliver it and fill the tank for you, but it costs a couple of yen more per liter" (I think it was four or five cents) "five yen (or whatever it was) is a lot on my pension." I couldn't believe that little savings was worth driving his car over to load it up himself, but I told him, "For fuck's sake, I'll pay the difference" and I think he was decent to me for maybe a week after that.

Witness

Post by Witness »

↑ Not to be indiscreet, but was that because you are a gaijin, or just commonplace assholery?

shuize

Post by shuize »

Witness wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:07 pm
↑ Not to be indiscreet, but was that because you are a gaijin, or just commonplace assholery?

I'm sure I was an asshole, too.

Oh, you mean them?

Hard to say. My ex- told me that her parents told her not to marry me. I thought they just didn't want her to move so far away, but they were dicks even after we moved back to Japan. Before we were married, when I moved back to America, they asked us to wait a year before my ex- followed. I agreed. At the end of the year, they asked us to wait another year. Seeing the obvious pattern, I said "No."

That's where it all may have started.

I'm still close with a homestay family in the area. My homestay mother told me long before the divorce that she thought my ex's parents were strange.

One of many stories that came to mind: They tried to steal our dog.

"Steal" may not be the correct word. But not too far off. We went on a trip to the States and needed a place to keep her for a month. My ex- asked her parents and, against my better judgment, I agreed. I made it clear that it was just temporary. But, of course, when we got back, they wouldn't return our dog.

Long story short, I got my dog back. But there were hard feelings.

My older daughter just moved out. Going to a boarding school at 15 is preferable to living with them.* Good for her.

* I offered, but she apparently didn't want to live with me, either. (See "asshole" confession above).

Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

As it's all about snakes in booze in another thread, here's the Habushu form Okinawa:

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

No scorpion?

Useless.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Coronavirus: Japan rushes to house thousands of homeless people

Japanese authorities are rushing to house thousands of homeless people following the closure of internet cafes in several major cities.

The cafes have become a common destination for those without secure housing.

They're often open around the clock and many feature private booths, showers and entertainment, including games.

But the businesses have been ordered to close their doors to help contain the spread of coronavirus.

While Japan officially has a low homeless rate compared with many other developed nations, more than 4,000 "internet cafe refugees" reside in the capital, Tokyo.

City officials say they have begun providing them with hotel rooms and other forms of temporary accommodation. In neighbouring Saitama, authorities have also repurposed a sports hall for 200 people.

Tokyo's government says welfare offices can send homeless residents to designated temporary accommodation, according to the Nikkei Asian Review.

But Kazuhiro Gokan, a consultant with a local homeless support group, told the newspaper that many people had been turned away because of "a misunderstanding among administrators".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-5 ... um=custom7

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

I'm not sure homeless are really much of a vector. People try to maintain a ten-foot distance from them anyway.