Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Japan

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

shuize

Post by shuize »

Our university has been pretty good about setting up working from home options and we'll go to all online classes this semester. But I received an email last night that said everyone had to go in by the end of the month to stamp their 「出勤簿」(work attendance calendar) before the deadline.
"Don't trust China. China is asshoe."

Witness

Post by Witness »

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

That's written from right to left, which is a bit unusual, although I guess it was more common in pre-war Japan.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

shuize

Post by shuize »

Anaxagoras wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:53 am
That's written from right to left, which is a bit unusual, although I guess it was more common in pre-war Japan.

Yes, definitely pre-war.

Interestingly, right to left doesn't bother me at all when reading top to bottom.

Right to left when reading horizontally gives me a headache.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

What does it say?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

It says, in normal left-to-right format:

恐るべし「ハヤリカゼ」の「バイキン」!
マスクをかけぬ命知らず!

A literal translation would be rather odd in English, but, something like:

The frightful "germs" causing "the flu"!

It's foolhardy to not wear a mask!
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness »

Abe government may stamp out hanko seals to promote working from home

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, looking for ways to get people to remain home during the coronavirus outbreak, has instructed his government to review the long-standing administrative custom of requiring that documents be stamped with seals.

The instruction, issued Monday, comes as residents and business operators still have to visit administrative offices to receive some services that require them to fill in documents using hanko seals and submit the documents over the counter, despite a government call for reducing person-to-person contact by 80 percent to contain the virus.

The review, initially proposed by private sector members of the government’s economic policy panel, is likely to pave the way for more use of online applications for such services.

“We have to review the system and its operation in a swift and user-oriented manner,” Abe said during a session of the panel, called the Council on Economic and Fiscal Policy. “We’ll draw up guidelines at an early date for reviewing the practices of affixing seals and submitting paper documents as a way to promote teleworking.”
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/ ... nko-stamp/

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Tokyo reports 39 new coronavirus cases; lowest in 4 weeks
The Tokyo metropolitan government confirmed 39 more cases of coronavirus infection on Monday, Governor Yuriko Koike said, the fewest since March 30 and the second consecutive day of new cases below triple digits.

But Koike stressed at a video conference that the situation offered no grounds for optimism, saying that the number was usually low on Mondays as fewer test samples are brought in. "We can't let our guard down," she said.

Hokkaido University professor Hiroshi Nishiura, one of the infectious disease experts guiding the government's response to the outbreak, told the conference the pace of decline had been slow.

Japan declared a state of emergency in Tokyo, the country's coronavirus epicenter, and six other areas on April 7 that it later extended nationwide to fight a widening outbreak.

The government will decide during its Golden Week holiday between April 29 and May 6 whether to extend the month-long state of emergency, government and ruling party sources told Reuters last week.

Japan as a whole has 13,504 confirmed cases and 377 deaths, public broadcaster NHK said. In Tokyo, 3,947 cases in total have been confirmed.

As schools remain closed, Osaka Gov Hirofumi Yoshimura said the government should consider beginning the Japanese school year in September instead of April.
I also chose this article for the accompanying photo:
Caption: "A woman walks in an empty underpass near Tokyo Station on Monday. Photo: REUTERS/Issei Kato"

I know where that photo was taken. I go through that passage under Tokyo Station every morning and evening when transferring between the JR Tokaido line and the Marunouchi subway line. I have never, ever seen it that empty at any hour (save maybe the wee hours of the morning when the trains aren't running and nothing is open, but I wouldn't be there at such a time of day).
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

– J. "ご苦労" D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Witness

Post by Witness »

Deserted Tokyo freeway now an open road for ‘Roulette Gang’

The "Roulette Gang" is back in town, preying on empty expressways in Tokyo after dark when few motorists venture out due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Driving vehicles with souped up engines, they race around the loop Metropolitan Expressway network at way past the speed limit, generally being a nuisance and daring the police to catch them.

The “Roulette Gang” is a coined generic term for reckless drivers who race on loop-shaped highway roads, mainly in Tokyo and Osaka. They got their nickname from the look of their cars circling roads, like a spinning roulette wheel.

These illegal racers first came to national prominence around 1990, but their numbers had waned--until now.

These fast and furious wannabies sprang back to life courtesy of the deadly virus crisis that left them with too much time on their hands after the government declared a state of emergency for Tokyo and six other prefectures on April 7.

And not surprisingly, spectators flock to rest stops to watch the cars race through the center of the capital night after night, prompting Tokyo police to pull out the stops to crack down on drivers racing on full beam.
http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/13337246 lame video at the link.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

When Cosplay gets – J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Well this fucking sucks:

Tokyo man dies in fire at his eatery closed due to pandemic
But the new coronavirus pandemic forced the man to close his business and also delayed his participation in carrying the torch as the Olympics were postponed for a year.

The man appeared to be despondent in recent days by the turn of events, according to people who knew him.

He was found inside in a three-story building in Nerima Ward after a fire broke out around 10 p.m. on April 30, according to Tokyo’s Metropolitan Police Department.

Sources connected to the police investigation said there were signs suggesting that he doused himself with oil.

Although only a portion of his restaurant on the first floor of the building was destroyed, the man died from burns suffered over his entire body after he was taken by ambulance to a hospital.

According to his neighbors, he operated the restaurant after inheriting it from his wife’s parents.

He was eager to revitalize local shopping streets and proposed various ideas for realizing the goal.

The man also loved running in marathons.

When he was chosen as a local Olympic torchbearer, he was elated, saying, “This is incredible.”

But the outbreak of the new coronavirus in Japan early this year changed his life completely.

The Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics were postponed for a year. And he was forced to close his restaurant on April 13, after a state of emergency was declared on April 7 to slow the spread of the virus.

On April 27, the restaurant owner visited Hiroshi Ono, the chief of the local association of shop operators, to obtain disinfectants to prepare for the early reopening of his restaurant.

But when he learned that the association expected to receive disinfectants after the Golden Week holidays are over on May 6, he looked considerably disappointed.

“It will be too late,” the man said.

He also said he found it impossible to operate his restaurant unless the pandemic is brought under control.

When Ono visited his restaurant to bring him disinfectants late on the afternoon of April 30, the man said he had decided to close his business forever.

“He was a hard worker and cheerful and thought about the well-being of the entire community,” Ono said. “Everybody liked him.”
William Shakespeare

shuize

Post by shuize »

Anaxagoras wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 10:49 am
Well this fucking sucks:

Tokyo man dies in fire at his eatery closed due to pandemic
But the new coronavirus pandemic forced the man to close his business and also delayed his participation in carrying the torch as the Olympics were postponed for a year.

The man appeared to be despondent in recent days by the turn of events, according to people who knew him.

He was found inside in a three-story building in Nerima Ward after a fire broke out around 10 p.m. on April 30, according to Tokyo’s Metropolitan Police Department.

Sources connected to the police investigation said there were signs suggesting that he doused himself with oil.

Although only a portion of his restaurant on the first floor of the building was destroyed, the man died from burns suffered over his entire body after he was taken by ambulance to a hospital.

According to his neighbors, he operated the restaurant after inheriting it from his wife’s parents.

He was eager to revitalize local shopping streets and proposed various ideas for realizing the goal.

The man also loved running in marathons.

When he was chosen as a local Olympic torchbearer, he was elated, saying, “This is incredible.”

But the outbreak of the new coronavirus in Japan early this year changed his life completely.

The Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics were postponed for a year. And he was forced to close his restaurant on April 13, after a state of emergency was declared on April 7 to slow the spread of the virus.

On April 27, the restaurant owner visited Hiroshi Ono, the chief of the local association of shop operators, to obtain disinfectants to prepare for the early reopening of his restaurant.

But when he learned that the association expected to receive disinfectants after the Golden Week holidays are over on May 6, he looked considerably disappointed.

“It will be too late,” the man said.

He also said he found it impossible to operate his restaurant unless the pandemic is brought under control.

When Ono visited his restaurant to bring him disinfectants late on the afternoon of April 30, the man said he had decided to close his business forever.

“He was a hard worker and cheerful and thought about the well-being of the entire community,” Ono said. “Everybody liked him.”

Long term lockdowns will mean this many times over.

Well, minus the oil. There are a lot better ways to go out than fire.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Japan's child population falls for 39th straight year

The estimated child population in Japan has dropped for the 39th consecutive year to reach a record low despite efforts to tackle the long-standing decline in the birthrate, according to the latest government data.

The number of children age 14 or younger stood at 15.12 million as of April 1, down 200,000 from a year earlier and the lowest figure since officials began compiling comparable data in 1950, the Internal Affairs and Communications Ministry said Monday.

The ratio of children to the overall population fell for the 46th straight year to a new low of 12.0 percent, below South Korea's 12.4 percent and the lowest among 32 countries with a population of 40 million or more, according to the U.N. Demographic Yearbook.

By contrast, people age 65 and over account for 28.6 percent of Japan's population, reflecting the graying of society.

The child population peaked at 29.89 million in 1954. The number briefly picked up in the early 1970s but has continued to fall since 1982.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/ ... rDGWS-RWf0

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/health-e ... oronavirus
Japanese decry boomer-era tech as hospitals file coronavirus cases by fax
Hospitals are legally required to send handwritten Covid-19 paperwork by fax to health centres – a dated practice that has been lambasted on social media
Contrary to its image as a hi-tech nation, data shows virtually every office and one in three households in Japan still have fax machines
How oddly quaint.

shuize

Post by shuize »

Witness wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:44 am

Maybe it's just me, but raising kids here seems a lot harder than it needs to be.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

First you have the Boys with Hidden Divine Powers All Named Ichi, Magical Girls, then 親戚より.

Then some idiot names his kid "Akira."

– J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

shuize wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:09 am
Witness wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but raising kids here seems a lot harder than it needs to be.
I think so, yes. Maybe that's an American perspective. But maybe it's no coincidence that all the East Asian countries tend to have lower birth rates.

Recently, not in the past. China didn't get to have the largest population in the world by having low birth rates, and Japan's used to be pretty high too, for the size of Japan. Not anymore. I think it's because parents here are expected to send their kids to cram school and such. Raising kids here is a tough grind. If your kids aren't going to the best schools, you feel like you've failed as a parent. And of course, they can't all go to the best schools.
William Shakespeare

shuize

Post by shuize »

Anaxagoras wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 10:10 am
shuize wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:09 am
Witness wrote:

I think so, yes. Maybe that's an American perspective. But maybe it's no coincidence that all the East Asian countries tend to have lower birth rates.

Recently, not in the past. China didn't get to have the largest population in the world by having low birth rates, and Japan's used to be pretty high too, for the size of Japan. Not anymore. I think it's because parents here are expected to send their kids to cram school and such. Raising kids here is a tough grind. If your kids aren't going to the best schools, you feel like you've failed as a parent. And of course, they can't all go to the best schools.

That's definitely part of it.

One of the million things I argued with my ex- about was trying to let the kids have a little free time.

I was fine with after school activities. To a point. When they were young (early elementary) they had swimming and piano three days a week. Which, of course, meant that we had to take them and pick them up three days a week. They were going to an expensive private school so we hadn't even put them in juku (cram school) yet.

Speaking of expensive private schools, they justified their tuition by giving hours of homework every day. From first grade. Which meant that we ... (Ha. Ha. What I am I saying?) ... "I" had to spend hours with them on it after getting home from work. My ex-, although she did not work outside the house, felt it should be my job to supervise all their homework. For years, I'd come home from work most days, eat, and then start with my older daughter on the homework (including Japanese!) that my ex- couldn't bring herself to start.

When she thought they'd have time for three or four more days of after school activities, I'll never know. But since other parents were doing it, my ex- was convinced, fucking convinced, we were failing them.