Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Re: Japan

Post by Pyrrho »

https://publicdomainreview.org/collecti ... es-ca-1830

The Mansion of the Plates (Sara-yashiki)

After the maid Okiku had accidentally broken one of a set of elegant Korean plates, her infuriated master bound her and threw her down a well, where she died in body but not spirit. In 1795, wells around Japan became infested with a species of worm covered in thin threads, which people believed to be a reincarnation of Okiku; the threads being the remnants of the fabric used to bind her. They named it “Okiku mushi” [the Okiku bug].
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Witness

Post by Witness »

NSFW:
Fighting in a Public Bathhouse, by Utagawa Yoshiiku, late Edo or early Meji period

:mrgreen:

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN22M0B2
TOKYO (Reuters) - Millions of Japanese viewers of the world’s longest-running animated cartoon TV show will have to make do with re-runs from next week after the coronavirus pandemic disrupted production, Fuji Television Network said on Sunday.

Aired every Sunday since 1969, the “Sazae-san” show features the everyday ups and downs of suburban Japanese housewife Sazae and her extended family, is a household name for many generations. It can still attract around 10% of the viewing audience, according to some estimates, for its 30-minute slot at 6.30 p.m. on Sundays. (Japanese website http://www.sazaesan.jp)

The show, adapted from four-frame comic strips by late author Machiko Hasegawa, was acknowledged by Guinness World Records in 2013 as the longest-running animated series, a title that had previously been attributed by the record-keeping organisation to U.S. show “The Simpsons”.

A spokeswoman for Fuji TV, a unit of Fuji Media Holdings Inc (4676.T), said re-runs will begin next week for the first time since February 1975, when the global economy was massively disrupted by an oil price crisis.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Tentacles?

I ask for Anax a friend.

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

No, it's very wholesome.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

shuize

Post by shuize »

Anaxagoras wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:59 pm
No, it's very wholesome.

I remember joking with my homestay family back in the early '90s about how those poor kids never got to grow up.
"Don't trust China. China is asshoe."

Witness

Post by Witness »

4.7 million tweets blast revision bill to delay Abe ally’s retirement

In the court of public opinion, more than 4.7 million tweets and retweets, including those from celebrities, are protesting a revision bill allowing the Cabinet to extend the retirement of top prosecutors, widely seen as a political ploy by the Abe administration.

The barrage of posts under the hashtag, "I oppose the proposed revision of the Public Prosecutors Office Law," as of the evening of May 10, oppose the effort by the Cabinet criticized as an attempt by the Abe administration to retain "friendly" officials close to it.

The revision of the Public Prosecutors Office Law has been debated in a Diet committee since May 8 to delay the retirements of prosecutors holding the most senior positions based on a Cabinet decision after Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s Liberal Democratic Party pushed it.

The LDP seeks to gain committee approval for the legislation in the coming week.

The Abe Cabinet granted approval in late January to delay the retirement of Hiromu Kurokawa, chief of the Tokyo High Public Prosecutors Office, by six months beyond his 63rd birthday. Kurokawa is considered a close ally of the Abe administration.

The revision of the law is seen by critics as the “use of power for personal benefit” as the retirement extension will pave the way for Kurokawa to be promoted to the post of public prosecutor general, or head of the Supreme Public Prosecutors Office.
http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/13362865

Witness

Post by Witness »

NSFW:

Witness

Post by Witness »

U.S. base finally provides samples of potentially toxic soil

U.S. authorities on May 11 caved in to repeated requests from Japan to provide soil samples from a leak of potentially toxic firefighting foam at a military base in Okinawa Prefecture.

The gesture is expected to help resolve concerns about the scope of contamination involving a compound known to cause cancer.

The samples were provided after the U.S. military rejected requests from prefectural authorities and the Ginowan city government for access to the soil cleared after the April 10 spill at the U.S. Marine Corps Air Station Futenma in Ginowan.

The leakage occurred at a hangar in the base, which is surrounded by a crowded residential area.

U.S. officials disclosed that about 227,000 liters of foam leaked, of which about 144,000 liters ended up flowing in a neighborhood ditch and released potentially harmful substances into the air.

The firefighting foam contains perfluorooctanesulfonic acid (PFOS), a compound known to cause cancer through prolonged exposure in natural surroundings.

The manufacture and use of PFOS was banned in principle by an international treaty in 2009. Japan basically prohibits the manufacture, use and import of the compound.

The U.S. military cleared the soil from an area measuring about 65 square meters and 15 centimeters deep around the unlocked hangar on April 24, citing fears of contamination.

According to prefectural and city officials, the U.S. side provided samples of the cleared soil, as well as soil from eight locations in the vicinity of the ditch where the foam flowed.
http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/13367597

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

shuize wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:29 pm
Anaxagoras wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:59 pm
No, it's very wholesome.

I remember joking with my homestay family back in the early '90s about how those poor kids never got to grow up.
Someone has to pilot the Eva. . . .

– J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Meanwhile . . .
The coronavirus is making Japan’s suicide rate plummet

We’re not going to say “Thanks, COVID-19,” but the pandemic seems to be indirectly saving lives too.

So in the time I’ve lived in Japan, there’s something I’ve noticed. While the trains are pretty punctual, there’s usually an increase in the number of delays on my line in spring.

The reason given for most of these delays is jinshin jiko, which literally means “personal injury,” as “in a person was struck by the train,” but it’s also the broad euphemism into which suicide attempts are classified. The reason for the spring increase isn’t hard to imagine. Spring is when both the school and business years start in Japan, and the stress and fear of going back to an emotionally painful environment, or having to start over from scratch after being forced into a new one, can lead people to a dark mental state.

Having been at home for the past several weeks because of the coronavirus pandemic, I can’t speak to the punctuality of my local rail lines, but odds are they’re running more smoothly than normal for this time of year, as Japan’s Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare has just announced that the number of suicides that took place in Japan during April was down nearly 20 percent compared to the same month in 2019.

Wokketu NEUZU!

THANKS Corona-chan!!!11!!

– J.D.

shuize

Post by shuize »

Doctor X wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 6:23 am
Meanwhile . . .
The coronavirus is making Japan’s suicide rate plummet

I seem to remember reading the same about New York after 9/11 and London during the Blitz.
"Don't trust China. China is asshoe."

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

There were less Japanese committing suicide in London?

– J.D.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Closed schools raise teen pregnancy risks in Japan, hospital says

TOKYO – One of the buzzwords to enter Japanese conversation over the past few weeks has been corona rikon/"corona divorce," referring to spouses who realize they’re ready to end their marriage after spending too much time at home with their partner. But as the pandemic is driving some adult couples emotionally apart, it looks like it’s also bringing young lovers together, at least in a physical sense.

Jikei Hospital in Kumamoto City, Kumamoto Prefecture, reports that it’s been seeing an increase in the number of junior high and high school students contacting its pregnancy consultation department. The increase started in March, not long after Prime Minister Shinzo Abe requested that schools across the country shut down to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus, and has continued as educational facilities remain closed. During the month of April, Jikei Hospital’s pregnancy counselors dealt with more junior high/high school students than in any other month since the department was established in 2007.

“With their schools closed because of the coronavirus, many students are staying at home,” says Jikei vice president Ken Hasuda. “For some of them, this presents opportunities for sexual activity, which in some cases is leading to unplanned pregnancies.”

At first, it seems like teens staying at home should be giving them fewer opportunities to have sex, since it’s pretty much unheard of for Japanese school kids to live under the same roof as their crush (which is one of many ways real-life Japan is different from anime). The scenario Hasuda seems to be describing, though, is one in which the kids, with no on-campus classes to attend or after-school extracurricular activities to take part in, are home all day while their parents are periodically out of the house in the morning or afternoon for work or errands. That creates windows for one teen to sneak over to another’s house, into their bed, and still have time to get back home before any parents notice they have a visitor or missing kid.

It’s worth noting that the pregnancy consultation division doesn’t only handle questions from people who are currently pregnant. Inquiries they’ve received from teens over the past weeks have included “Can you get pregnant if it’s your first time having sex?” as well as “My girlfriend and I had sex, and now she’s feeling sick in the morning,” as well as questions from teens who say they’ve already gotten a positive result from a pregnancy test.
https://japantoday.com/category/feature ... pital-says

How to curb that aging population. :mrgreen:

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

If suicides rates are that drastically down, does that mean regular life in Japan is more stressful than a pandemic?

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Grammatron wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:55 am
If suicides rates are that drastically down, does that mean regular life in Japan is more stressful than a pandemic?
I don't know about that, but don't suicides go down in times of war or natural disaster?

Also, aren't suicide rates higher in wealthy countries than in poor, developing countries?

There was a case I read about recently about a restaurant owner who committed suicide, but I suppose that's anecdotal.

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/13347791
The man appeared to be despondent in recent days by the turn of events, according to people who knew him.

He was found inside in a three-story building in Nerima Ward after a fire broke out around 10 p.m. on April 30, according to Tokyo’s Metropolitan Police Department.

Sources connected to the police investigation said there were signs suggesting that he doused himself with oil.
Also:
http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/13367816
The financial burden during the pandemic has led some snack owners to commit suicide.

A 55-year-old singer who regularly traveled the snack circuit to promote new CDs said he knows of at least three mama-san who have killed themselves over the past two months.

“They were all so cheerful,” he recalled. “They continued to back me up even when I faced difficulties.”
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Those are fair counterpoints. I guess the problem is far too complex to come to such a specific conclusion. I do hope some lessons can be learned about suicides and stress.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Record ¥3.9 Billion in Lost Cash Handed in to Tokyo Police Stations in 2019

The Metropolitan Police Department reports that 4.2 million lost items were handed into police stations in Tokyo in 2019, up 0.3% year on year. This included ¥3.9 billion in cash, which was a 1.2% increase over the same period.

It was the fourth consecutive year the amount of cash handed in rose and was the highest figure on record. Cash reported lost amounted to ¥8.4 billion, meaning that 46.0% of lost cash was handed into the police. In 2018, this amount was 45.7%. The city may come across as cold and unfeeling, but it seems that many people do the right thing.

There was also a rise in the number of lost and misplaced items handed into the police; the total of 4.5 million items was a 0.8% increase from 2018. Looking at the most common type of items handed in, 770,000 (17.1% of the total) were ID documents such as driving licenses and credit cards. This was followed by 560,000 items of financial value, like smart cards, commuter passes, and gift certificates (12.3%); 491,000 items of clothing and footwear (10.8%); 372,000 wallets (8.2%); and 349,000 umbrellas (7.7%).

https://www.nippon.com/en/japan-data/h0 ... -2019.html

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

not to nitpick but I see a a small umbrellas were reported lost. Who the fuck would report a lost umbrella? Who would track it? I wonder if they have a division at the police that specializes in recovering them.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

People lose umbrellas on trains all the time. I often see them when I'm commuting. It's usually not worth the trouble to report it missing or try to track it down and figure out where it ended up. They end up at the lost and found at whatever train station is at the end of the line probably, unless someone takes it. After that, I don't really know. Probably after a certain amount of time, if nobody claims it, they dispose of it somehow.
William Shakespeare