Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Witness

Re: Japan

Post by Witness »

Sorry guys, I seldom even notice the crap alongside an article. :|

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

I did try some whale sashimi once several years ago when I was out drinking with a Japanese colleague and a couple of British colleagues.

I don't really remember how it tastes though. Just tasted like meat I guess. I dipped it in soy sauce and wasabi.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness »

Nissan Email Trail Casts New Light on Takedown of Carlos Ghosn
  • Discussions show push inside the automaker to undercut Renault
  • Nissan remains in turmoil 18 months after ex-chairman’s arrest
Carlos Ghosn always said he was set up.

Now there’s some evidence to support his claim. According to people familiar with what happened and previously unreported internal correspondence, the campaign by top Nissan Motor Co. executives to dethrone one of the most celebrated leaders in the automotive industry started almost a year before Ghosn’s arrest in late 2018 for alleged financial misconduct.

The effort was motivated in part by opposition to the former chairman’s push for greater integration between the Japanese carmaker and long-time alliance partner Renault SA, the new information reveals.

While Nissan has long maintained that the decision to oust Ghosn turned on allegations of under-reporting his income and other financial transgressions leveled by Tokyo prosecutors, the documents and recollections of people familiar with what transpired show that a powerful group of insiders viewed his detention and prosecution as an opportunity to revamp the global automaker’s relationship with top shareholder Renault on terms more favorable to Nissan.

A chain of email correspondence dating back to February 2018, corroborated by people who asked not to be identified discussing sensitive information, paints a picture of a methodical campaign to remove a powerful executive. The information comes to light as another former Nissan executive and the company itself face a looming trial in Tokyo, and as Japan seeks the extradition of Ghosn, 66, who fled to Lebanon in a daring escape last year.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... rlos-ghosn for the rest.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Translation please. :)

NSFW:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

King of the Hill. Hank Hill, that is. Propane and propane accessories.

Tell y'what man, you talk'n bout ol' meanin' ah life, man, go read tha' ol hitchiker's guide, man, y'know talkin' bout ol, 42, man. Talkin' bout ol sly fox man, dang ol meanin' of is is, y'know man, 'n oh, i miss ol', dang ol 90s, man.
--Boomhauer

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

I recognize the faces, I just want to know what the Japanese writing says.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

It doesn't say anything.

shuize

Post by shuize »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:37 pm
Translation please. :)

NSFW:

“Cute” x 4
"Don't trust China. China is asshoe."

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

:P

Witness

Post by Witness »

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

The fence around the top balcony kind of detracts from the appearance, but it's a lovely pagoda. Can't name it off the top of my head. :notsure:

Meanwhile, a political scandal:
Ex-justice minister, wife to be arrested Thurs. over vote buying
Prosecutors plan to arrest former Justice Minister Katsuyuki Kawai and his lawmaker wife Anri on Thursday for allegedly giving out cash to local politicians and supporters during the wife's campaign in last year's upper house election, according to sources familiar with the move.

The arrests would deal a blow to Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, given his ties with Kawai, who served as his special adviser for foreign affairs before briefly serving as justice minister last year.

The 57-year-old Kawai, a member of the House of Representatives, and his 46-year-old wife are suspected of buying votes in the House of Councillors election last July in violation of the Public Offices Election Law. Anri Kawai won her seat in the poll.

On Wednesday, Abe's Liberal Democratic Party accepted the resignation of the couple from the governing party. However, they told the party they intend to continue serving as Diet members.

The arrests would came a day after the end of the ordinary Diet session. Lawmakers have special immunity from arrest while the Diet is in session.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness »

Anaxagoras wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:50 am
The fence around the top balcony kind of detracts from the appearance, but it's a lovely pagoda. Can't name it off the top of my head. :notsure:
Suicide prevention?

Nachi falls, Wakayama.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Japanese condoms now have their own anime: Condom Battler Goro!

https://soranews24.com/2020/06/18/japan ... tler-goro/

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Witness wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:40 am
Anaxagoras wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:50 am
Suicide prevention?

Nachi falls, Wakayama.
That and to protect idiots and clumsy people from falling I suppose. I suppose it's a necessary evil, but it would look prettier without it.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Glass fencing is pretty common and very unobtrusive. You should write a letter.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Masks for nightclub hostesses developed by Japan kimono maker

A Japanese kimono maker has teamed up with a company that runs nightclubs to develop hostess-friendly face masks that make it easy to sip drinks and create an alluring atmosphere.

Inspired by face veils worn by belly dancers, the masks feature three vertical strips of cloth that form a curtain covering the nose and mouth, with the strip in the center of double thickness.

Priced between 2,200 yen ($20) and 3,850 yen, the masks are available in various colors, including black, blue, and pink, and in three types of material, plain, lace and traditional Yonezawa fabric.

The masks have also been bought by people who have skin problems and by musicians, according to the cooperative.
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020 ... maker.html

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Olympus quits camera business after 84 years

Olympus, once one of the world's biggest camera brands, is selling off that part of its business after 84 years.

The firm said that despite its best efforts, the "extremely severe digital camera market" was no longer profitable.

The arrival of smartphones, which had shrunk the market for separate cameras, was one major factor, it said.

It had recorded losses for the last three years.

The Japanese company made its first camera in 1936 after years of microscope manufacture. The Semi-Olympus I featured an accordion-like fold-out camera bellows, and cost more than a month's wages in Japan.

The company continued to develop the camera business over the decades, becoming one of the top companies by market share.

"There's a huge amount of affection for Olympus, going right back," says Nigel Atherton, editor of Amateur Photographer magazine.

The 1970s was a high point, with their cameras advertised on television by celebrity photographers such as David Bailey and Lord Lichfield.

The market for standalone cameras has fallen dramatically - by one estimate, it dropped by 84% between 2010 and 2018.
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-53165293

As a historical side note: when photography became a thing, the lenses were already good as microscope manufacturers knew how to make them.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

They did make good cameras.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.