Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
shuize

Re: Japan

Post by shuize »

Anaxagoras wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:38 am
Shocking, I know:
Glass ceiling still in place as Japan misses goal of gender equality

Tl;dr: Back in 2003, when Koizumi was PM, Japan set a goal of having women account for 30% of "leaders*" by 2020. That goal has been missed. It's somewhere around 10%, apparently. (*defined as senior managers or above in companies or government ministries or members of the national Diet.)

I used to have more sympathy for the plight of the "poor," "downtrodden" Japanese woman.

Then I went through a shitty marriage and divorce here.
Last edited by shuize on Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't trust China. China is asshoe."

shuize

Post by shuize »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:53 pm

This is apparently a common theme in Japan.

See, for example, "Kimi No Na Wa" -- a big hit here a few years ago.

English title: "Your Name."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Your_Name

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Illegal motorbike crossing leaves Iwakuni’s Kintaikyo bridge beaten and battered

On Friday 17 July 2020 local residents of Iwakuni were horrified as they watched a motorcycle cross Kintaikyo Bridge in an evident joyride. The historical wooden structure was left damaged by tyre marks and the weight of the motorcycle.

Made using simple mortise and tenon joints, the bridge is designed to have its walkway lifted away by any possible flooding. This traditional architectural method means that the wood is all slotted carefully together to create a stable walkway for pedestrians, but is far too delicate to allow the continuous crossing of vehicles. Because of this the bridge is open to walkers for a small fee, but is closed to all vehicles and cyclists.

A 40 year old construction worker has now been arrested by the Iwakuni Police for damaging the bridge and for dangerous driving. The man is reported to have accepted the charges and has apologised for his shameful act.
https://grapee.jp/en/145627

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

I saw that story on the morning news a few days ago.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness »

Time for shuize to plan his retirement:
Japan retailer pushes limit of retirement age, making 80 the new 65

Labor crunch forces electronics chain Nojima to keep experienced sales staff

TOKYO -- Electronics retailer Nojima has decided to let employees work until they are 80 years old if they choose to, raising its retirement age from 65 to retain experienced workers in a graying Japan.

The offer applies to all of the Yokohama-based company's roughly 3,000 employees, including store sales staff.

From next spring, Japanese companies will be required to make an effort to employ workers until age 70, but Nojima's move goes 10 years beyond that. It could spur followers in the retail sector, which relies heavily on human capital but faces a looming labor shortage like the rest of Japan.

Yoshiyuki Tanaka, an executive officer at Nojima, said the company wants "a wide range of senior employees to play active roles regardless of location."

Nojima is one of the Tokyo area's biggest electronics retailers, operating big box stores that compete with larger chains like Yamada Denki. Unlike some rivals, Nojima does not rely on sales representatives from manufacturers at its stores. Senior sales staff members, with their extensive product knowledge and customer service skills, are a valuable resource.
https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Retail ... the-new-65

shuize

Post by shuize »

Witness wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:29 am
Time for shuize to plan his retirement:
Japan retailer pushes limit of retirement age, making 80 the new 65

Labor crunch forces electronics chain Nojima to keep experienced sales staff

TOKYO -- Electronics retailer Nojima has decided to let employees work until they are 80 years old if they choose to, raising its retirement age from 65 to retain experienced workers in a graying Japan.

The offer applies to all of the Yokohama-based company's roughly 3,000 employees, including store sales staff.

From next spring, Japanese companies will be required to make an effort to employ workers until age 70, but Nojima's move goes 10 years beyond that. It could spur followers in the retail sector, which relies heavily on human capital but faces a looming labor shortage like the rest of Japan.

Yoshiyuki Tanaka, an executive officer at Nojima, said the company wants "a wide range of senior employees to play active roles regardless of location."

Nojima is one of the Tokyo area's biggest electronics retailers, operating big box stores that compete with larger chains like Yamada Denki. Unlike some rivals, Nojima does not rely on sales representatives from manufacturers at its stores. Senior sales staff members, with their extensive product knowledge and customer service skills, are a valuable resource.
https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Retail ... the-new-65

I will be fine either way.

But my guess is a lot of people are going to get screwed out of their social security pensions.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Two doctors have been arrested in Japan on suspicion of murder for allegedly helping an ALS patient to end her life.

I kinda think they are heroes, not murderers, but that's not how they see it in Japan.

Here is an editorial that appeared in the Asahi Shimbun about the case:

EDITORIAL: Death of ALS patient may be major breach of medical ethics
Two doctors were arrested on suspicion of murder after they allegedly gave a drug to an amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) patient that is believed to have caused her death.

The patient’s blog and Twitter pages contained posts that expressed her desire for mercy killing. But there are many unknowns about what really occurred.

Specific communications among the three persons involved, for instance, have yet to be uncovered. It is not known either what were the thoughts and objectives of the two suspects.

We need to wait for these questions to be answered before we can understand the full implications of this distressing story.

As to what we have learned so far, it is impossible to justify the act of the arrested doctors as a legitimate medical practice.

They were neither her doctors nor experts in ALS. It is believed that the two came to know her only through social media.

The two doctors did not contact her family, while the patient reportedly paid some 1.3 million yen ($12,340) into a bank account of one of the doctors.
Well, she was an adult, so contacting her family and getting their input doesn't seem to be necessary. She had ALS. Does it matter whether they were experts in ALS? Its effects are known even to laypeople. Finally, they took money. Maybe that makes it ethically questionable. But a veterinarian gets paid when he euthanizes an animal. Why is it inherently unethical for the doctor to get paid?
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness »

Why have some Japanese schools banned the ‘two-block’ haircut?
  • It’s favoured by actors, baseball players, singers and bears more than a passing resemblance to the emperor’s hairstyle, so why the fuss?
  • The head of Tokyo’s education board says the long and short of it is the style has been linked to ‘incidents’ and ‘accidents’

The board has not clarified what “incidents” or “accidents” refer to and has not provided examples of haircuts getting students into trouble. The board oversees 196 schools across the city, with 83 per cent having regulations on hair cuts or colourings, with 15 explicitly banning the “two-block”.
https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/lifestyl ... ck-haircut

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Is dyeing it that unnatural color part of the hairstyle? :BigGrin3:

Witness

Post by Witness »

↑ Perhaps. I read dyeing your hair grey is frowned upon for young people. :mrgreen:

[Typo corrected.]
Last edited by Witness on Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

My son, who is a high school student (in Kanagawa, not Tokyo), has a haircut like that. I didn't know it was called "two-block".

It's a normal hairstyle over here. Not something weird or to my mind subversive. I haven't heard any complaints from his teachers about it.

Maybe it's a rule on the books that isn't actually enforced too strictly? But this sort of thing is typical in Japanese schools. They have lots of rules for students that Westerners might think are very conservative.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:11 pm
Is dyeing it that unnatural color part of the hairstyle? :BigGrin3:
No. The hairstyle and the coloring are separate issues. Coloring your hair is also supposed to be against the rules, irrespective of the cut style.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Anaxagoras wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:18 am
Well, she was an adult, so contacting her family and getting their input doesn't seem to be necessary.
In the USA!USA!USA! that would be true unless a family member has durable power of attorney to make medical decisions. I do not know what the situation is in Japan. Also, that appears to be an article more of opinion rather than fact. Ask Faux News about whether or not family should have a say in such cases.
She had ALS. Does it matter whether they were experts in ALS?
ALS is a diagnosis of exclusion . . . but it rather rapidly excludes other causes. It is that since the treatment for it is fuck and all. So, no, unless there is a legitimate question regarding her diagnosis, it should not matter.
Its effects are known even to laypeople. Finally, they took money. Maybe that makes it ethically questionable. But a veterinarian gets paid when he euthanizes an animal. Why is it inherently unethical for the doctor to get paid?
For killing a patient? That does rather raise ethical questions such that it was included in the oath attributed to Hippocrates. The prohibition served as an advertisement that students of that school would not be persuaded by others, including Your Loving Family, from accepting payment to kick your miserable ass across the River of Styx.

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Anime Mom.jpg
– J.D.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Witness

Post by Witness »

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Is that 500 Yen (approximately $5 US)?

shuize

Post by shuize »

Anaxagoras wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:18 am
Two doctors have been arrested in Japan on suspicion of murder for allegedly helping an ALS patient to end her life.

I kinda think they are heroes, not murderers, but that's not how they see it in Japan.

They don't even like to euthanize pets here.

Maybe it's a rule on the books that isn't actually enforced too strictly? But this sort of thing is typical in Japanese schools. They have lots of rules for students that Westerners might think are very conservative.

Not just rules for students. Japan has lots of rules that the government enforces at its discretion.

For example, I'm pretty sure it's technically illegal to ride more than one child on a bicycle. Anax can confirm mothers jetting around with kids in both front and rear bicycle seats is about as common a sight as one can expect to see in Japan. Anyway, if I'm remembering the story right, a few years ago the police announced they were going to start enforcing this rule (ordinance?) (law?) -- the fact that they would announce upcoming enforcement of an existing rule is amusing -- but, better yet, when faced with the firestorm of criticism from mothers, the police backed down and said, "Well, ok, in that case we won't enforce it after all."

Does anyone else in Japan remember this?

Abudul wrote: Is that 500 Yen (approximately $5 US)?

Yes, it's at 104.28 to the dollar at the moment, so just slightly less than five dollars. The yen has been increasing in value against the dollar lately.
Was 113.50 last November and as weak as 124 in 2015. Of course, it was also as strong as 76 in the post-tsunami/nuclear meltdown days in 2011 (man, those were great days for sending money to the States -- especially that year's winter bonus), which seems counterintuitive, but the way I heard it, Japanese insurance companies were selling out of foreign positions and buying yen like crazy in order to be able pay claims in Japan. I'm not certain of that, but it sounds right. Anyway, as someone who is far more likely to exchange out of yen, I say "Go Yen! Beat Dollar!"

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

shuize wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:41 am
Anyway, as someone who is far more likely to exchange out of yen, I say "Go Yen! Beat Dollar!"
:freedom:

– J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

shuize wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:41 am
For example, I'm pretty sure it's technically illegal to ride more than one child on a bicycle. Anax can confirm mothers jetting around with kids in both front and rear bicycle seats is about as common a sight as one can expect to see in Japan. Anyway, if I'm remembering the story right, a few years ago the police announced they were going to start enforcing this rule (ordinance?) (law?) -- the fact that they would announce upcoming enforcement of an existing rule is amusing -- but, better yet, when faced with the firestorm of criticism from mothers, the police backed down and said, "Well, ok, in that case we won't enforce it after all."

Does anyone else in Japan remember this?
For some reason I don't remember that, but I can definitely confirm that it's common to see mothers riding around with 2 kids on their bicycles here. Also, very few Japanese bicycle riders wear helmets. I remember one day just counting every bicycle rider I could see on the street as I walked down a busy street near my office in Tokyo. Counting those who didn't wear helmets vs. those who did. By my count on that day, about 90% had no helmet. Including sometimes small kids in child seats.

William Shakespeare