Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Anaxagoras

Re: Japan

Post by Anaxagoras »

Two doctors have been arrested in Japan on suspicion of murder for allegedly helping an ALS patient to end her life.

I kinda think they are heroes, not murderers, but that's not how they see it in Japan.

Here is an editorial that appeared in the Asahi Shimbun about the case:

EDITORIAL: Death of ALS patient may be major breach of medical ethics
Two doctors were arrested on suspicion of murder after they allegedly gave a drug to an amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) patient that is believed to have caused her death.

The patient’s blog and Twitter pages contained posts that expressed her desire for mercy killing. But there are many unknowns about what really occurred.

Specific communications among the three persons involved, for instance, have yet to be uncovered. It is not known either what were the thoughts and objectives of the two suspects.

We need to wait for these questions to be answered before we can understand the full implications of this distressing story.

As to what we have learned so far, it is impossible to justify the act of the arrested doctors as a legitimate medical practice.

They were neither her doctors nor experts in ALS. It is believed that the two came to know her only through social media.

The two doctors did not contact her family, while the patient reportedly paid some 1.3 million yen ($12,340) into a bank account of one of the doctors.
Well, she was an adult, so contacting her family and getting their input doesn't seem to be necessary. She had ALS. Does it matter whether they were experts in ALS? Its effects are known even to laypeople. Finally, they took money. Maybe that makes it ethically questionable. But a veterinarian gets paid when he euthanizes an animal. Why is it inherently unethical for the doctor to get paid?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Witness

Post by Witness »

Why have some Japanese schools banned the ‘two-block’ haircut?
  • It’s favoured by actors, baseball players, singers and bears more than a passing resemblance to the emperor’s hairstyle, so why the fuss?
  • The head of Tokyo’s education board says the long and short of it is the style has been linked to ‘incidents’ and ‘accidents’

The board has not clarified what “incidents” or “accidents” refer to and has not provided examples of haircuts getting students into trouble. The board oversees 196 schools across the city, with 83 per cent having regulations on hair cuts or colourings, with 15 explicitly banning the “two-block”.
https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/lifestyl ... ck-haircut
Witness

Post by Witness »

↑ Perhaps. I read dyeing your hair grey is frowned upon for young people. :mrgreen:

[Typo corrected.]
Last edited by Witness on Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

My son, who is a high school student (in Kanagawa, not Tokyo), has a haircut like that. I didn't know it was called "two-block".

It's a normal hairstyle over here. Not something weird or to my mind subversive. I haven't heard any complaints from his teachers about it.

Maybe it's a rule on the books that isn't actually enforced too strictly? But this sort of thing is typical in Japanese schools. They have lots of rules for students that Westerners might think are very conservative.
William Shakespeare
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:11 pm Is dyeing it that unnatural color part of the hairstyle? :BigGrin3:
No. The hairstyle and the coloring are separate issues. Coloring your hair is also supposed to be against the rules, irrespective of the cut style.
William Shakespeare
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Anaxagoras wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:18 amWell, she was an adult, so contacting her family and getting their input doesn't seem to be necessary.
In the USA!USA!USA! that would be true unless a family member has durable power of attorney to make medical decisions. I do not know what the situation is in Japan. Also, that appears to be an article more of opinion rather than fact. Ask Faux News about whether or not family should have a say in such cases.
She had ALS. Does it matter whether they were experts in ALS?
ALS is a diagnosis of exclusion . . . but it rather rapidly excludes other causes. It is that since the treatment for it is fuck and all. So, no, unless there is a legitimate question regarding her diagnosis, it should not matter.
Its effects are known even to laypeople. Finally, they took money. Maybe that makes it ethically questionable. But a veterinarian gets paid when he euthanizes an animal. Why is it inherently unethical for the doctor to get paid?
For killing a patient? That does rather raise ethical questions such that it was included in the oath attributed to Hippocrates. The prohibition served as an advertisement that students of that school would not be persuaded by others, including Your Loving Family, from accepting payment to kick your miserable ass across the River of Styx.

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Anime Mom.jpg
– J.D.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Witness

Post by Witness »

shuize

Post by shuize »

Anaxagoras wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:18 am Two doctors have been arrested in Japan on suspicion of murder for allegedly helping an ALS patient to end her life.

I kinda think they are heroes, not murderers, but that's not how they see it in Japan.

They don't even like to euthanize pets here.

Maybe it's a rule on the books that isn't actually enforced too strictly? But this sort of thing is typical in Japanese schools. They have lots of rules for students that Westerners might think are very conservative.

Not just rules for students. Japan has lots of rules that the government enforces at its discretion.

For example, I'm pretty sure it's technically illegal to ride more than one child on a bicycle. Anax can confirm mothers jetting around with kids in both front and rear bicycle seats is about as common a sight as one can expect to see in Japan. Anyway, if I'm remembering the story right, a few years ago the police announced they were going to start enforcing this rule (ordinance?) (law?) -- the fact that they would announce upcoming enforcement of an existing rule is amusing -- but, better yet, when faced with the firestorm of criticism from mothers, the police backed down and said, "Well, ok, in that case we won't enforce it after all."

Does anyone else in Japan remember this?

Abudul wrote: Is that 500 Yen (approximately $5 US)?

Yes, it's at 104.28 to the dollar at the moment, so just slightly less than five dollars. The yen has been increasing in value against the dollar lately.
Was 113.50 last November and as weak as 124 in 2015. Of course, it was also as strong as 76 in the post-tsunami/nuclear meltdown days in 2011 (man, those were great days for sending money to the States -- especially that year's winter bonus), which seems counterintuitive, but the way I heard it, Japanese insurance companies were selling out of foreign positions and buying yen like crazy in order to be able pay claims in Japan. I'm not certain of that, but it sounds right. Anyway, as someone who is far more likely to exchange out of yen, I say "Go Yen! Beat Dollar!"
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

shuize wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:41 amAnyway, as someone who is far more likely to exchange out of yen, I say "Go Yen! Beat Dollar!"
:freedom:

– J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

shuize wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:41 am For example, I'm pretty sure it's technically illegal to ride more than one child on a bicycle. Anax can confirm mothers jetting around with kids in both front and rear bicycle seats is about as common a sight as one can expect to see in Japan. Anyway, if I'm remembering the story right, a few years ago the police announced they were going to start enforcing this rule (ordinance?) (law?) -- the fact that they would announce upcoming enforcement of an existing rule is amusing -- but, better yet, when faced with the firestorm of criticism from mothers, the police backed down and said, "Well, ok, in that case we won't enforce it after all."

Does anyone else in Japan remember this?
For some reason I don't remember that, but I can definitely confirm that it's common to see mothers riding around with 2 kids on their bicycles here. Also, very few Japanese bicycle riders wear helmets. I remember one day just counting every bicycle rider I could see on the street as I walked down a busy street near my office in Tokyo. Counting those who didn't wear helmets vs. those who did. By my count on that day, about 90% had no helmet. Including sometimes small kids in child seats.

William Shakespeare
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Which sort of explains a common theme:

– J.D.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

– J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

They come in Fat, Double Fat, Yokozuna and . . .

Wait for it!!!

YOUR MOM!!!!! BWAHAHAHAH!!!! :De_Bunk:
William Shakespeare
Witness

Post by Witness »

ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

If I made that poster have them upside down so that the consumer would be faced with a bunch of smiling food.
UKXmTFr.jpg
There, see how much more fun?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This space for let
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

William Shakespeare
Witness

Post by Witness »

Japan prepares 40 measures against S. Korean court's asset sale decision: Mainichi

Japan has been reportedly reviewing some 40 countermeasures against a South Korean court's decision to sell off Nippon Steel Corporation's assets in South Korea, to compensate victims of wartime forced labor.
Japan's Mainichi Shimbun reported that the measures include raising tariffs, suspending remittance or visa issuance, and temporarily bringing back home the Japanese Ambassador to South Korea.
Also on the table are claiming compensation against the South Korean government, or filing a complaint to an international court for arbitration.
The Japanese daily said the Prime Minister's office has been discussing the measures with related ministries since last year.
https://www.arirang.com/news/News_View.asp?nseq=262922
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

William Shakespeare
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Any celebrations from Nanjing?

あまりにも早く?

– J.D.

Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Post by Hotarubi »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000lj4b

Not really judgemental, just tells a story

Harrowing viewing in places.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:

I'm sure I came up with Twatter first. ~ Moi
I only steal from the rich. :BigGrin3: ~ Witness
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Doctor X wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:21 am Any celebrations from Nanjing?
Approximately three quarters of comfort women died, and most survivors were left infertile due to sexual trauma or sexually transmitted diseases. One Korean woman, Kim Hak-sun stated in a 1991 interview about how she was drafted into the "comfort women corps" in 1941: "When I was 17 years old, the Japanese soldiers came along in a truck, beat us [her and a friend], and then dragged us into the back Kim stated that she was raped 30–40 times a day, everyday of the year during her time as a "comfort woman". Reflecting their dehumanized status, Army and Navy records where referring to the movement of "comfort women" always used the term "units of war supplies". One Japanese Army doctor, Asō Tetsuo testified that the "comfort women" were seen as "female ammunition" and as "public toilets", as literally just things to be used and abused, with some "comfort women" being forced to donate blood for the treatment of wounded soldiers.

But hey! Stopping all of this makes the USAbad right?

robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Post by robinson »

The goddamn Japs were savages
still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris
robinson

Post by robinson »

What they did to our POWs was worse
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

And if you tell that to the young people today, they won't believe you.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

When asked, most do not know about Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Because, you know, 75 years.

Who are the savages now, Robinsuck?
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
robinson

Post by robinson »

I liked it better when I was ignored
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

You've stopped ignoring me again.

Predictable.

robinson

Post by robinson »

sparks wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:01 pm When asked, most do not know about Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Because, you know, 75 years
I will conduct an experiment on this
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Infrared photos reveal Buddhist images drawn on temple columns (Asahi Shimbun)
KORA, Shiga Prefecture--Researchers have discovered images of eight Buddhist saints drawn on two columns of a local temple’s Hondo main hall through infrared photography, which could date back more than 1,300 years.

The paintings of the standing saints on the columns of Saimyoji temple’s main hall, which is designated a national treasure, are barely visible to the naked eye since the columns were blackened by soot.
William Shakespeare
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Anaxagoras wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:34 am Infrared photos reveal Buddhist images drawn on temple columns (Asahi Shimbun)
KORA, Shiga Prefecture--Researchers have discovered images of eight Buddhist saints drawn on two columns of a local temple’s Hondo main hall through infrared photography, which could date back more than 1,300 years.

The paintings of the standing saints on the columns of Saimyoji temple’s main hall, which is designated a national treasure, are barely visible to the naked eye since the columns were blackened by soot.

eating a big mac.
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Rob Lister wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:52 am

eating a big mac.
Bowl of herbs I think.

It looks vaguely like an uncommon portrayal of Yakushi Nyorai 薬師仏 or The Healing Buddha (Bhaisajyaguru) standing - usually depicted sitting.

Not 100% on that though. I'd be interested if anyone else can shed some light on it.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Hotarubi wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:45 am

eating a big mac.
Bowl of herbs I think.

It looks vaguely like an uncommon portrayal of Yakushi Nyorai 薬師仏 or The Healing Buddha (Bhaisajyaguru) standing - usually depicted sitting.

Not 100% on that though. I'd be interested if anyone else can shed some light on it.

The Asahi Shimbun article describes it as one of 8 Buddhist "saints". Honestly I have no idea whether that's an accurate translation or a fudge using a word that would be familiar to Christians or if they are something different.

BTW, I tried googling "the eight buddhist saints" and came up empty. There's eight Buddhist precepts, and an eightfold path, but I couldn't find anything about eight "saints".
William Shakespeare
Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Anaxagoras wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:18 pm
Hotarubi wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:45 am

eating a big mac.
Bowl of herbs I think.

The Asahi Shimbun article describes it as one of 8 Buddhist "saints". Honestly I have no idea whether that's an accurate translation or a fudge using a word that would be familiar to Christians or if they are something different.

BTW, I tried googling "the eight buddhist saints" and came up empty. There's eight Buddhist precepts, and an eightfold path, but I couldn't find anything about eight "saints".
No. There is not equivalence to "Saint" in Buddhism. Arahant vaguely covers it which refers to *anyone* achieving Nirvanah, be it peasant or noble. I get the feeling the article writer knew this but tried to make it palatable for western eyes.

Of course, the images may just be depictions of some "local monks" that were venerated/famous at the time, which is pretty ubiquitous in Buddhism. Interesting.
Last edited by Hotarubi on Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hotarubi

Post by Hotarubi »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:01 pm According to Protestants, a "saint" in Christianity means anyone who is "saved".
That's just cultural misappropriation.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... d-nagasaki
Survivors of the atomic bombings of 75 years ago have accused Japan’s prime minister, Shinzo Abe, of making light of their concerns after he delivered two near-identical speeches to mark the anniversaries of the attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

A plagiarism detection app found that Abe’s speech in Nagasaki on Sunday duplicated 93% of a speech he had given in Hiroshima three days earlier, the Mainichi Shimbun reported.

The English-language versions of the speeches on Abe’s official website also show a high degree of duplication.
The apparent decision not to tailor the statements to each city’s experience angered survivors of the bombings, who are known as hibakusha.

“It’s the same every year,” Koichi Kawano, head of a hibakusha liaison council in Nagasaki, told the Mainichi Shimbun. “He talks gibberish and leaves, as if to say, ‘There you go. Goodbye.’ He just changed the word ‘Hiroshima’ to ‘Nagasaki.’ He’s looking down on A-bomb survivors.”
Witness

Post by Witness »

↑ "You are not dead yet?"

Anti-mask group in Tokyo slammed for “cluster festival”

As new cases of coronavirus continue to rise in a number of countries around the world, worrying divides have begun to form as those opposed to mask-wearing decry recommendations and requests to cover their faces to help stop the spread of the virus.

In Japan, mask-wearing is not mandatory but it doesn’t really have to be, as masks have been a part of everyday life here even before coronavirus. However, while the large majority of the public is masking up during the pandemic, a small faction of anti-maskers has appeared, and they’re not just opposed to masks — they’re against any form of restraint in regards to stopping the spread of the virus.

The group is being led by YouTuber and leader of the Popular Sovereignty Party Masayuki Hiratsuka, who ran an unsuccessful campaign in the July Tokyo Gubernatorial Election. His campaign slogan, “Coronavirus is just a cold” failed to gain traction with voters, but that doesn’t mean he hasn’t picked up followers who agree with his views.

On 9 August, a number of party supporters gathered for a “Cluster Protest” outside Shibuya Station, where people held up placards that read “Masks, Social Distancing, The ‘Three Cs’, Self-restraint Not Necessary“. The group, which included women with babies and toddlers, were all unmasked for the three-hour-plus-long protest outside the station.
https://soranews24.com/2020/08/10/anti- ... -festival/
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

@davidscottjaffe

A Godzilla museum just opened in Japan. Very soon they will open phase two that includes a ZIP LINE that lets you fly INTO Godzilla's GOD DAMNED mouth.

This is now the greatest thing in the world.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.