Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Hotarubi
Title: Enchantress

Re: Japan

Post by Hotarubi »

Witness wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:01 am Image
1200 stone sculptures with different expressions on their faces at the nenbutsu-Ju Buddhist temple. Kyoto, Japan.
Wow. Thanks.
Yep, you totally outsmarted me ~ Wildcat.

:ball2:
Witness

Post by Witness »

1985 – Marco and the Fuyo Robot Theater Expo’85 – Automax
shuize

Post by shuize »

There's a typhoon currently working its way toward Okinawa and possibly toward mainland Japan after that.

It's expected to have really strong winds. Like stronger than I can ever remember hearing about with gusts predicted up to 70 m/s (252km)(156mph).

Checking Wiki, the strongest hurricanes on record apparently get stronger than that, but it's right up there for typhoons.

Wiki on tropical cyclones:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_t ... e%20listed.

The Japanese news article:

https://www.msn.com/ja-jp/news/national ... d=msedgntp
Witness

Post by Witness »

shuize wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:27 pm It's expected to have really strong winds. Like stronger than I can ever remember hearing about with gusts predicted up to 70 m/s (252km)(156mph).

Checking Wiki, the strongest hurricanes on record apparently get stronger than that, but it's right up there for typhoons.
World Record Wind

For nearly sixty-two years, Mount Washington, New Hampshire held the world record for the fastest wind gust ever recorded on the surface of the Earth: 231 miles per hour, recorded April 12, 1934 by Mount Washington Observatory staff.

The Mount Washington record was toppled in 1996 when an unmanned instrument station in Barrow Island, Australia recorded a new record of 253 miles per hour during Tropical Cyclone Olivia. Though the Observatory record fell, it’s a very human story, and it still stands as the highest surface wind speed ever observed by man.
https://www.mountwashington.org/about-u ... -wind.aspx for details.

As a reference for what that means concretely:
Speed Skydiving

Speed Skydiving is a new skydiving discipline with as simple a definition as it gets. Achieve the fastest speed possible over a given distance.

It has developed over the last few years and represents the fastest non-motorized sport on Earth. In essence, speed skydiving is the discipline where only one aspect of skydiving counts – freefall speed.

The speed achieved by a human body in free fall is conditioned of two factors, body weight and body orientation. In a stable, belly to earth position, terminal velocity of the human body is about 200 km/h (about 120 mph). A stable, freefly, head down position has a terminal speed of around 240-290 km/h (around 150-180 mph). Further minimizing body drag and streamlining the body position allows the skydiver to reach higher speeds in the vicinity of 480 km/h (300 mph).
https://www.fai.org/page/isc-speed-skydiving
Witness

Post by Witness »

shuize

Post by shuize »

Witness wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:49 pm
shuize wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:27 pm It's expected to have really strong winds. Like stronger than I can ever remember hearing about with gusts predicted up to 70 m/s (252km)(156mph).

World Record Wind

For nearly sixty-two years, Mount Washington, New Hampshire held the world record for the fastest wind gust ever recorded on the surface of the Earth: 231 miles per hour, recorded April 12, 1934 by Mount Washington Observatory staff.

The Mount Washington record was toppled in 1996 when an unmanned instrument station in Barrow Island, Australia recorded a new record of 253 miles per hour during Tropical Cyclone Olivia. Though the Observatory record fell, it’s a very human story, and it still stands as the highest surface wind speed ever observed by man.
https://www.mountwashington.org/about-u ... -wind.aspx for details.

I should have specified that gusts of 156 mph (252km) are close to the record for the western North Pacific.

As a reference for what that means concretely:
Speed Skydiving

Speed Skydiving is a new skydiving discipline with as simple a definition as it gets. Achieve the fastest speed possible over a given distance.

It has developed over the last few years and represents the fastest non-motorized sport on Earth. In essence, speed skydiving is the discipline where only one aspect of skydiving counts – freefall speed.

The speed achieved by a human body in free fall is conditioned of two factors, body weight and body orientation. In a stable, belly to earth position, terminal velocity of the human body is about 200 km/h (about 120 mph). A stable, freefly, head down position has a terminal speed of around 240-290 km/h (around 150-180 mph). Further minimizing body drag and streamlining the body position allows the skydiver to reach higher speeds in the vicinity of 480 km/h (300 mph).
https://www.fai.org/page/isc-speed-skydiving

I've been sky diving once. Tandem.

Maybe it was from my paragliding experience, but I wasn't really nervous on the way up.*

But, man, I was completely unprepared for the initial fall from the plane.

That and the force of the wind in my face.

I had to remind myself to breath.

Tandem, arms out, I'm sure we were going a lot slower than what was possible but, man, the winds were incredible.

* Planes don't bother me. Or paragliders, obviously. But I don't really like to stand next to the windows in skyscrapers, towers, etc. I've talked to several other paraglider pilots who say the same.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Oh, by the way, Abe is stepping down as Prime Minister for health reasons. I think I heard recently that the length of his tenure in the position was some kind of record in Post-War Japan.

Here's an article about who might replace him:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/ ... 03QkItUtaQ

There's a question as to whether only members of the Diet will vote on his replacement or whether "rank-and-file" party members will be allowed to vote.
If it's only Diet members, it will probably be Suga. Ishiba may have a chance if rank-and-filers are allowed to vote.
Nothing lasts forever. Even the longest, the most glittering reign must come to an end someday.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
shuize

Post by shuize »

So, not to be outdone, Typhoon # 10 is feared to have sustained winds up to 80 m/s.

Hold on to your hats boys and girls, that's 178.9 mph (288km).

The Japanese article says momentarily wind speeds of 85 m/s (190 mph/ 306km) expected around Okinawa and 800mm (31.5 inches) of rain expected to fall in the southern Kyushu region over a 24 hour period.
気象庁は沖縄・奄美の最大瞬間風速を85メートル、九州南部の7日午後6時までの24時間雨量を最大800ミリと予想。台風から離れた地域でも太平洋側を中心に警報級の大雨の恐れがあり、警戒を呼びかけている。

https://www.msn.com/ja-jp/news/national ... d=msedgntp
Witness

Post by Witness »

I see you need some soothing music:

:P
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

William Shakespeare
shuize

Post by shuize »

Japanese news reported Nagasaki received 110mm (4.3 inches) of rain in one hour this morning.

You know, I'm not an expert on these things, but that seems like kind of a lot.

I remember telling my father, a plumber (and thus someone who knows a bit about water), the amount of rain Japan can get and him not believing me. (Ha! Ha!)

長崎県長崎市付近では、12日午前6時までの1時間に約110ミリの猛烈な雨が降ったとみられ、「記録的短時間大雨情報」が発表されました。

https://www.msn.com/ja-jp/weather/topst ... d=msedgntp
Witness

Post by Witness »

Haunted toilet experience in a Japanese theme park

The effects of the pandemic inspired for a new attraction

Lagunasia, an amusement park located not far from Nagoya in Japan’s Aichi Prefecture, is bringing terror, to a new venue, with the first haunted toilet of the theme park industry.

The attraction is named ‘Horror! Hanako-san of the Toilet’ and it’s based on the story of a young girl named Hanako-san. The urban legend is about the spirit of the young girl, Hanako-san, who haunts school bathrooms in Japan. Now, she will be taking up residence in one of the bathrooms of Lagunasia.

The haunted restroom is part of the amusement park’s ‘With Corona Horror Fest 2020’. It will be limited to one person at a time and it will also be disinfected after each guest’s session.

Lagunasia teamed up with Tokyo-based horror entertainment company Kowagarasetai (the team behind Tokyo’s recent drive-in haunted house, which simulates being stuck in a car during a zombie outbreak), to create experiences that limit congestion and contact because of COVID-19.
https://www.brokenhousecompany.it/blog/ ... heme-park/
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Jeebus Christ.

I blame lingering radiation.

How's about this one: The Haunted Spoon(tm)? Stupid goddamned bastards.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Japan's police introduce facial recognition system in criminal probes

Japanese police have been using a system that can match photos of people who have been previously arrested with images gathered by surveillance cameras and social media, police officials said Saturday, a move that could raise concerns about privacy violations.

The facial analysis system has been operated by police across the nation since March to identify criminal suspects more quickly and accurately, the officials said. But critics warn that the system could turn the country into a surveillance society unless it is operated under strict rules.

“We are using the system only for criminal investigations and within the scope of law. We discard facial images that are found to be unrelated to cases,” a senior National Police Agency official said.

The NPA manages and utilizes facial images under rules set by the National Public Safety Commission, as it does with fingerprints and DNA.

About 10 million facial images are currently stored in the agency’s database, including those of suspects referred to prosecutors who have not been arrested, the officials said.

The system only requires police to enter facial data such as security camera footage. It then compares the data with database images before displaying multiple mug shots containing similar features including eyes, nose, mouth, and eyebrows.

The system also provides the name, address and criminal history of those found matching the entered data.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/ ... al-probes/
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Aging and empty: Suga's hometown highlights nation's challenges
Yuzawa, Akita Pref. – It’s noon on a warm day in the Akita Prefecture town where Yoshihide Suga, the man most likely to become Japan’s next prime minister, grew up, but more than half the stores in a downtown shopping arcade are shuttered and sidewalks are empty except for the rare older passerby.

A building proclaiming “I Love Yuzawa” stands abandoned. A giant department store nearby hulks over the street, mostly unusable because it doesn’t meet earthquake safety standards but is too expensive to tear down.
The remote part of Yuzawa where Suga grew up, 480 kilometers northeast of Tokyo, captures key challenges his administration will face: Half the residents in the area are over 60. Depopulation and aging have meant a dramatic fall in tax revenue, pushing the town’s government, reliant on support from Tokyo, to consider merging with other towns in Akita Prefecture.

“Japan is the world’s fastest-aging nation, Akita the fastest-aging prefecture and Yuzawa one of the worst in Akita,” said town employee Toru Abe, noting that close to 40 percent of all Yuzawa residents are over 65, compared to 28 percent for the entire nation.

“If we didn’t have fiscal support from the central government, we couldn’t make ends meet,” said Abe. Of the town’s annual budget of ¥27 billion, only about a fifth comes from taxes, he said.
You can see photos of the town if you follow the link.
I also thought this bit was funny:
By a row of cigarette vending machines in the city center hangs a sign: “Tobacco taxes are important for our area. Let’s buy cigarettes!” In 2019, the tax brought in ¥209 million, it says.
Great reason to smoke, right? :wink:

And, of course, it's only going to get worse from now on.
William Shakespeare
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/ ... l-license/
The Supreme Court has ruled for the first time that tattooing people without a medical license does not constitute a violation of the medical practitioners law.

In the decision, handed down on Wednesday, the top court’s Second Petty Bench turned down an appeal by public prosecutors over a suit against Taiki Masuda, a 32-year-old man who tattooed three people. It finalizes a high court ruling that overturned a district court verdict fining the man ¥150,000.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Didn't know that was even a thing. But I've never had a tattoo, nor even ever seriously considered getting one.
William Shakespeare