Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
shuize

Re: Japan

Post by shuize »

Anaxagoras wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:33 am Didn't know that was even a thing. But I've never had a tattoo, nor even ever seriously considered getting one.

Anax no doubt knows this, but for our non-Japan based friends, tattoos in Japan cause more trouble than they’re worth. Due to their connection to organized crime, you can be denied entry or forced to cover them at resorts, water parks, gyms, etc.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

shuize wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:07 am
Anaxagoras wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:33 am Didn't know that was even a thing. But I've never had a tattoo, nor even ever seriously considered getting one.

Anax no doubt knows this, but for our non-Japan based friends, tattoos in Japan cause more trouble than they’re worth. Due to their connection to organized crime, you can be denied entry or forced to cover them at resorts, water parks, gyms, etc.
Does that apply to Gringos, or only Japanese?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

jesus Abdul, they'll get to you. Be patient for chrissakes.
About that stereo
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

ed wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:40 pm jesus Abdul, they'll get to you. Be patient for chrissakes.
Asking for a friend. ;)

ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

Hope he never has to go on the lam.
About that stereo
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:29 pm

It generally applies also to Gaijin, although I did see some talk of loosening the rules recently. (To make it more "tourist friendly")

However, I don't know how far that has gone.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-28/ ... s/10735044
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Even in America there is a correlation between tattoos and criminal behavior. Not that everyone with a tattoo is a criminal of course, but those who have them are also more likely to have a criminal record.

https://m.riverfronttimes.com/newsblog/ ... t-behavior
William Shakespeare
shuize

Post by shuize »

Anaxagoras wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:24 pm
Abdul Alhazred wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:29 pm

It generally applies also to Gaijin, although I did see some talk of loosening the rules recently. (To make it more "tourist friendly")

However, I don't know how far that has gone.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-28/ ... s/10735044

Yes, as Anax says, it's both. Originally directed at the Japanese mafia.

As Anax also says, it might be easing a bit. Thus, the "must cover" accommodations in some places. It used to just be "no entry."

But tattoos are still a bad choice here for anyone expecting to go for job interviews, meet prospective in-laws, etc.

In fact, I don't think I've ever seen any of my university students wearing one.

After I spent several years in Japan as a university student myself, it was strange to go back to the States and started meeting criminal suspects in jail sporting kanji -- often jumbled kanji -- tattoos.

Tattoos don't bother me as much as they used to -- I guess, like Japan, I'm mellowing in my old age. But I'm still not a big fan.

I think I already told this story, but a few years ago I was in a dive class in Thailand with a couple of beautiful young Swedish girls. One of the girls had trouble with her ears and quit. When she came back to meet her friend a few days later she had a very thick, wrap-around tattoo from her wrist to her elbow. It looked like she'd put on a glove and stuck her arm in a barrel of tar. I thought, "Man, such a beautiful girl. What a fucking waste."
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Anaxagoras wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:46 pm Even in America there is a correlation between tattoos and criminal behavior. Not that everyone with a tattoo is a criminal of course, but those who have them are also more likely to have a criminal record.

https://m.riverfronttimes.com/newsblog/ ... t-behavior
I can only speak for Los Angeles, but tattoos are incredibly common here and I would say have been completely decoupled from criminal or even deviant behavior.
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Grammatron wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:41 pm I can only speak for Los Angeles, but tattoos are incredibly common here and I would say have been completely decoupled from criminal or even deviant behavior.
Does that apply to facial tattoos?

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Of course, the type of tattoo, the location, the message, and maybe even the total amount of tattooed body area probably also say a lot about the person. I don't think it would be prejudiced to be wary of a man with "FUCK YOU" tattooed on his forehead.
William Shakespeare
shuize

Post by shuize »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:00 pm
Grammatron wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:41 pm I can only speak for Los Angeles, but tattoos are incredibly common here and I would say have been completely decoupled from criminal or even deviant behavior.
Does that apply to facial tattoos?

While I agree with the sentiment, I wonder if there might not have been another way to make his point.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

I believe I posted this long ago, but from a That Guy who is actually quite good at Japanese since he lived and studied there:

– J.D.

P.S. Unfortunately my spoken Japanese is more like "David" than "Ken."
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
shuize

Post by shuize »

Doctor X wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:52 am P.S. Unfortunately my spoken Japanese is more like "David" than "Ken."

Yes, Ken's Japanese is solid.

It sounds like David is purposely trying to make his Japanese sound shitty.

David's "tattoo" just says "Sex Offender." "Registered" was dramatic license.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Japanese sex business operator sues state over virus cash handout snub

A woman running a sex worker-dispatching business sued the state on Wednesday, saying its blanket exclusion of the sex industry from a cash handout program to support small companies hit by the coronavirus is discrimination banned under the Constitution.

In the lawsuit filed with the Tokyo District Court, the woman, who operates the business in western Japan's Kansai area, demanded the payment of the benefits as well as consolation money for having been discriminated against "without reasonable grounds," her lawyers said.

The defendants also include Recruit Co and Deloitte Tohmatsu Financial Advisory LLC, according to the lawyers. The two firms are in charge of clerical work for the relief program.

As part of financial assistance to smaller businesses suffering from plunging revenues due to the virus spread, the government provides a maximum 2 million yen in one-off lump sum. It also offers benefits to help them pay rent.

However, businesses in the sex industry, such as companies dispatching sex workers and operators of "love hotels," or accommodations for sexual activities, are not covered by the scheme.

The lawyers said the woman suspended her business between mid-April and late May in accordance with business closure requests from the local authorities to contain the virus spread.

As a result, her business saw its revenue dive 80 percent in April and 70 percent in May from year-before levels.

When she and other sex business operators met with an official at the Small and Medium Enterprise Agency in June to ask for their companies to be included in the handout program, the official rejected their request, saying such businesses "have previously been excluded from public support, such as ones following natural disasters," and that the agency merely "followed the past responses" made by the state.

But supporters of the plaintiff say the government feared possible public backlash in case it provides taxpayers' money to sex business operators, a stance they say will only deepen discrimination against the industry and its workers.
https://japantoday.com/category/nationa ... ndout-snub
Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred »

Well ... when you're already in the business of spreading disease ...

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Note that the "requests" for businesses to close during the pandemic were just that. Officially, Japan never forced any business to close. They could have said, OK, no bailout, we'll just stay open.

In fact, I think that's what probably happened, since the article says "her business saw its revenue dive 80 percent in April and 70 percent in May".

So business was down, but they were apparently still doing business during those months since they had some revenue, albeit less than usual.
William Shakespeare
shuize

Post by shuize »

I seem to recall the Osaka red light “restaurant” association issuing a mandatory “voluntarily” closure order.

Not the government, but I would be at all surprised if the government told the association, “You need to make this happen.”