Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Witness

Re: Japan

Post by Witness »

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

Be a lot easier to just pull a 9mm on these shitheads and end them.

See some shit going down? Kill the perp. With a hollow point. No surgery necessary. DOA. :)
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

lovely psa.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Japan Unveils 3,000-Ton ‘Big Whale’ Submarine Amid Tension With China

Japan on Wednesday unveiled a new naval submarine amid flaring tensions with China. The 3,000-ton Taigei, or big whale, built by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd. will be put into service by March 2022, Kyodo News agency reported.

Manned by 70 crew members, the Taigei will be 22nd vessel in Japan’s Maritime Self-Defense Force’s submarine fleet. It will be 84 meters (276 feet) long and 9.1 meters (30 feet) wide, costing Japan around $720 million.

The vessel’s announcement comes amid tensions in the East China Sea, where Tokyo blames Beijing for violating the country’s territorial waters.

Japan said Chinese coast guard ships entered its territorial waters near the Senkaku Islands in the East China Sea last Sunday, only leaving the area Tuesday night after “a record length of time.”

The Japanese Coast Guard said the Chinese vessels remained in its waters for 57 hours and 39 minutes — exceeding the previous record of 39 hours and 23 minutes set in July.

China claims the Japanese-controlled islands, which it calls Diaoyu, and routinely sends its warships to the surrounding waters.

Under these increasing tensions, Tokyo aims to increase the number of its submarines from 16 to 22 as part of its 2010 National Defense Program Guidelines. Currently, Japan runs nine 2,750-ton Oyashio-class submarines and 11 2,950-ton Soryu-class warships. It plans to add a 12th Soryu-class submarine next year.
https://eurasiantimes.com/japan-unveils ... ith-china/

Mitsubishi at it again, uh? :mrgreen:

Witness

Post by Witness »

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks »

That looks like a place I could spend some time. Gotta figure out a way to get Bruce to invite me...:)
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Japanese gov't creates YouTube channel on N Korea abduction issue

The Japanese government has created an official YouTube channel to provide information about North Korea's abductions of Japanese nationals in the 1970s and 1980s, with a video featuring Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga vowing to bring them back home promptly.
https://japantoday.com/category/politic ... tion-issue

"Promptly", half a century later? Anyway, videos at the link.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

typo for taxes or really faxes. I can see the latter.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

That's what I wondered the first time I read the headline, but it means facsimile machines.

As the new administrative reform minister, Taro Kono declares war on fax machines (Japan Times)

Japanese government to phase out fax machines, paper documents, personal seals (SoraNews24)

My company essentially went paperless this year, due to the pandemic. It was the nudge we needed. Could have happened long ago I'm sure, as could working from home, but it didn't actually happen until there was a reason why it had to happen right now instead of at some indeterminate time in the future.
William Shakespeare
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

The guys I work with think that "digital" means printing a PDF on paper, marking changes on the paper copy, then scanning the paper markup into PDF.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Well paper was a pretty great invention, it must be said. Easily one of the top 10 all time.
William Shakespeare
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Anaxagoras wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:13 am Well paper was a pretty great invention, it must be said. Easily one of the top 10 all time.
And the clean water.

クス!Wrong thread!

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

And easier to file than stone tablets.
Witness

Post by Witness »

shuize

Post by shuize »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Witness wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:12 pm
Somehow I've never heard of this, and neither has my waifu.

I think that the shrine which the cat is posing in front of (15 seconds in) is the Fushimi Inari Shrine.

This "Nyan Nyan Ji" may exist, but it's likely much more modest in appearance. A little googling suggests that it's more of a cat cafe than a real shrine.

ETA: "Ji" means temple, by the way. In Japan, shrines are generally Shinto, whereas temples are Buddhist.

ETA2: At 1:45 in the video is what it actually looks like from the outside. It's just a cat cafe and souvenir shop. The best photo I could find of the place. Not terrible, but not really a temple. It is what it is.
William Shakespeare
Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Howling ‘Monster Wolf’ robots installed in Japan to scare away bears

Dozens of red-eyed “Monster Wolf” robots were set up in Japanese towns to scare off bears and deer that were overrunning local homes or destroying crops.

One of the creepy canine contraptions — which roar and have fangs — was erected in September by the small city of Takikawa to “avoid friction between residents and bears,” according to the local news site The Mainichi.

At least 62 more of the 3-foot-tall by 4-foot-long robo-beasts are being used to frighten away deer and wild boar that destroy crops in the Hokkaido and Okinawa areas, the outlet reported.

Designed by the machine-making company Ohta Seiki, the robot is programmed to shake its head and howl when it senses motion by animal intruders. It’s equipped with infrared sensors and can detect when a human is near.

The Takikawa wolf-bot is the first scarecrow-style method of deterring bear populations in front of houses in residential areas, the outlet reported.

The machine appears to be pushing bears’ buttons, according to experts.

Brown bear reports have increased dramatically in the Takikawa area this year, totaling 10 since May.

The sightings — including one of a bear cub less than a mile from a home — prompted the city government to set up the spooky animal automaton.

It was installed in the city of 40,000 in September, and there have been no eye-witness bear sightings since.
https://nypost.com/2020/11/06/monster-w ... way-bears/
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

English mistake makes Kyoto the enemy of the world.

Fortunately, such mistakes rarely have any significant effects.

– J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

And while we're on the subject of Kyoto:

Kyoto University apologizes for live bondage performance
Prestigious Kyoto University took down a video of a live performance of Japanese rope bondage at a symposium it hosted after footage of the event went viral on social media and one person complained.

It made the decision after a single viewer called to question whether the university seriously considered bondage as a legitimate field of academic study.

Kyoto University quickly offered a public apology and deleted the video of the free symposium, titled “KINBAKU New Wave x Asian Humanities,” from its website.

The event was held on the Kyoto campus on Oct. 24 and co-hosted by the university’s Unit of Kyoto Initiatives for the Humanities and Social Sciences and the Center for Applied Philosophy and Ethics.

Event organizers said their objective was to “explore the significance and potentialities” of kinbaku, also known as “shibari,” which is viewed by many people as a form of Japanese S&M, in light of the fact it is currently “transforming itself into a new trend of contemporary art.”

During a demonstration segment of the event, a male “kinbakushi” (rope master) tied up a female model and suspended her above the floor.

The symposium was live-streamed on YouTube. More than 600 people attended the venue or watched it online. The video was also archived on a website and made available for two weeks afterward.

Event organizers were apparently caught by surprise when the performance created a buzz on social media. The video attracted strong overseas interest and was played about 590,000 times.

News media noted the phenomenon and contacted the university on Nov. 5, according to university officials.

A local newspaper published a photo of the event, which led one reader to call the university and ask, “Is this an academic subject?”

That single phone call was enough for the organizers to take down the video immediately, a day earlier than scheduled.

“We apologize for making someone uncomfortable with some segments of the symposium video,” the organizers said in a statement posted on their website. “We will give due consideration to the archived video.”
I wonder if it can still be found online somewhere. I haven't looked yet. Live-streamed on YouTube they say! :mrgreen:

Too bad they chickened out and apologized in the end.
Yasuo Deguchi, a professor at the department of Philosophy who organized the symposium, told The Asahi Shimbun: “Even if it’s only one person, I am sorry to make that person uncomfortable. Other people might have felt that way, too.”

Deguchi said he is planning to publish a book on the contents of the symposium as early as next year.

“I hope gender-issue experts to join the (publication project) and include issues that were not discussed at the symposium due to time constraints,” Deguchi said.

The symposium featured a rope master, a bondage artist, a model and several scholars.

They explained that kinbaku originated from the martial arts and its methods of restraining captives in the age of provincial wars that raged from the mid-15th century to the early 17th century.

The panelists also discussed the ways in which kinbaku as the methods became widely known through mass culture and artforms like Kabuki and ukiyo-e, then came to be viewed as an erotic bondage practice and ultimately a culturally prescribed S&M play.

Most recently, fashion brand Christian Dior debuted a handbag inspired by kinbaku, and the singer Aimyon featured kinbaku in one of her music videos, a panelist noted.

During the panel discussion, Deguchi cited an entrenched viewpoint that “kinbaku culture is deeply embedded in asymmetric male-female domination-subjugation dynamics.”

The comment prompted the female model to respond, “I am in love with the design of shibari and its beautiful techniques.”

She went on to say that she regards shibari as a form of expression and stages performances with the “mind-set that I am creating a work together with (a rope master) with whom I have an equal relationship.”

The organizers’ decision to take down the video and offer a public apology so quickly stirred criticism from people who feared it went against freedom of academic expression.

Masahiro Murata, director of the Toyota Municipal Museum of Art in Aichi Prefecture, recalled an incident when police intervened because part of an exhibition was deemed “indecent” while he served as the director at Aichi Prefectural Museum of Art.

He called the Kyoto organizers’ decision to take down the video unfortunate.

“I want (them) to be cautious about giving it up simply because they have been criticized by people who say, ‘I feel uncomfortable,’” Murata said. “It is unfortunate, even though there was only one more day left for the video to be viewed before it became unavailable. And if their decision was based on a singly protest, it is even more unfortunate.”

Murata, who noted that “any artistic work gets a mixed reception,” has been riled by closures of art exhibitions on grounds the displays are too provocative.

“That deprives the public of an opportunity to be exposed to diverse forms of expression and different point of views,” he said. “That is the biggest problem.”

Sakiko Ohno, who has written extensively about art, offered a different perspective.

“It is fine to study kinbaku as Japanese culture and art,” she said. “But it is supposed to be enjoyed in a secretive space. By airing such a thing on YouTube, where anybody can see it, the organizers should have expected it to draw objections.”

To Ohno, the reaction was hardly surprising.

“The organizers were unprepared to field criticism. I wonder if they thought they could rest on their thinking that it’s art and people will understand,” she said.

(This article was written by Erena Tanaka and Michitaka Kono.)
ETA: The original youtube video has been taken down but you can still see still photographs of the demonstration here:

https://iheartintelligence.com/kyoto-un ... nstration/

She isn't naked but it might still be a bit too racy for work of course.
William Shakespeare
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

When you can’t put your woman at the end of her rope. . . .

– J.D.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:43 pm OK Anax. You've lived in Japan for a while.

Did you previously know that bondage is a traditional Japanese art form, as it might be origami, bonsai or seppuku? :)
Not really. Not as such that would be considered a form of art to be studied and discussed by eminent professors at Kyoto University.

Of course, you know as well as anyone that anything can be considered "art" these days. :P
William Shakespeare
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

We will take the jokes about rope bondage, waifu, and Hunter Biden as "read."

Too soon?

– J.D.

Witness

Post by Witness »

Hotel room.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Nike launched an advert highlighting racism in Japan. Now it's facing calls for a boycott

The ad has garnered a wave of praise but also a sharp negative response, including calls to boycott the company.

A Nike advert highlighting racism and bullying in Japan has caused a stir on social media, with some users even calling for a boycott of the company.

Nike, which sponsors biracial Japanese tennis star Naomi Osaka, released the two-minute commercial on Monday and it has since racked up more than 14 million views on Twitter.

The Japanese-language clip, titled "Keep Moving: Yourself, the Future", shows three teenage girls of mixed or non-Japanese heritage being bullied at school before finding confidence through their football prowess.

It had been liked more than 50,000 times on Nike Japan's YouTube channel by Wednesday, but also disliked by over 30,000 viewers - many of whom accused the sportswear firm of anti-Japanese sentiment.
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/nike-launch ... -a-boycott

shuize

Post by shuize »

Witness wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:15 am Image

Hotel room.

It's very beautiful and I really like that style but those rooms usually only exist in hotels.

Lakeside view aside, if I saw that room outside of a hotel, I would think "These people are either very rich or very poor."

Japanese houses and condos are sometimes sold with "traditional Japanese tatami rooms" as a sales pitch but, in my experience, only the rich can afford to devote that much space to an empty room full time. You might visit someone's house with a nice tatami room that they've cleaned up for your visit. But, in most cases, they usually don't stay that way for long since most middle income Japanese people end up buying more shit than they have space to store.

At least that's how it's been with almost everyone I've known well enough to see their houses when they let their guard down.

My homestay family with whom I've stayed in contact for going on 30 years is a bit of an exception. But that was only after the kids moved out and they rebuilt a much larger house.

By the way, that's another thing you see here. A lot of "modern" Japanese construction is garbage. Houses don't hold value at all. Land, yes. Houses no. It is very common for people to knock down their houses after 30 years and rebuild. In many cases, property with an old house on it is worth less than an empty lot.
Last edited by shuize on Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Witness

Post by Witness »

shuize wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:31 am It's very beautiful … empty lot.
Thanks for these interesting Japanese tidbits!
Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Traditional Japanese joineries:

Witness

Post by Witness »

Sound on.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Spoiler:
Cloud motion is a simulation, in case you wondered.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

In Japan, they have a 'Kanji of the Year' (kanji refers to Chinese characters).

Anyway, they announced this year's kanji.

Something related to the pandemic.
Spoiler:

'Mitsu' for the "three mitsu's" to be avoided:
密閉、密集、密接

enclosed spaces, crowds, and close contact

https://www.nippon.com/en/japan-topics/c03824/
William Shakespeare
Witness

Post by Witness »

Manhole covers go on sale in Nagoya

Nagoya City is selling old manhole covers that were previously used on its streets. A full collection will be on display at a museum later this month.
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/ataglance/1269/ (video at the link)
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

On my way home from work today (I commute to the office 2 days/week these days) I decided to stop at a Burger King where I haven't been much this year since Corona. Noticed that they were advertising a new "Plant-based Whopper" on the menu, and out of curiosity, I gave it a try. It's a little bit more expensive than a regular Whopper. Same price as a Whopper with cheese, but without the cheese. It was OK. Not too different from a regular beef Whopper. I don't know if I would have noticed the difference really, but since I knew it was different when I bought it I imagined that I could taste a subtle difference.

Looked online later and noticed that SoraNews24 did a write-up a few days ago (I guess this is what passes for "news" in Japan):

Burger King Japan’s new Plant-Based Whopper tastes amazing

I wondered if this is an independent review or if Burger King paid for it. :notsure:
Anyway, if you want to see pictures, follow the link.

I know that it's already last-year's news in the US, but it's newish to Japan.

They aren't really much healthier it seems (if at all: slightly fewer calories and fat but more sodium and less protein; seems like a wash). So unless it's to avoid meat, you're paying a bit more for something that isn't really healthier. If the price was the same I would consider repeating.

Aren't plants supposed to be cheaper and better for the planet? That's what some vegan talking points say, but it's actually more complicated than that. Livestock animals are actually a pretty efficient way of turning calories we cannot use (like grass) into calories we can use, and not all land used to raise livestock is suitable for growing crops. Ideal land for growing crops is flat, but cows can graze in pastures on the side of a hill, for example. And they create fertilizer for crops.
William Shakespeare
Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister »

Cows that graze in the hillside pastures have evolved to have their left legs shorter than their right legs to aid them in their grazing. Round and round they go around the mountain.

They can only go up hill, of course.

When they get to the top and try to go down, they tip over and fall to the bottom, already tenderized and ready for butchering.