Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
shuize

Re: Japan

Post by shuize »

Witness wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:36 pm ↑ Haven't the owners paid the baksheesh? :BigGrin3:

Yeah, I don't know.

I heard from a foreign friend yesterday that the owner of one of our favorite small bars said she was making more money on government Wuhan-Corona subsidies than she was running the bar.

Did he understand her Japanese correctly?

Was she just joking?

If not, I don't know how that's possibly sustainable given Japan's debt situation.

I'll ask her the next time I have a chance.

But maybe all is not as it appears.
Witness

Post by Witness »

shuize wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:44 pm But maybe all is not as it appears.
Perhaps she gets more than what she told the IRS? :twisted:
shuize

Post by shuize »

Well, they've already lost a Ugandan athlete.

He didn't die. They just can't find him.*

Ugandan Weight Lifter Missing in Japan Amid Olympic Lockdown

Apparently he's loose somewhere in my neck of the woods.

I guess if Wuhan-Corona gets worse, we'll know who to blame.

* You'd think he might stand out. (Ha! Ha!)

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/16/worl ... mpics.html
shuize

Post by shuize »

Well, the Olympics are really starting off swimmingly.

In addition to losing the Ugandan, I just saw a Japanese news report that an Uzbekistani Olympic staff member was arrested today for allegedly raping a (presumably Japanese) woman in the stands after the opening rehearsal.

It was apparently caught on camera and the suspect is reportedly denying the charges on the grounds "She didn't resist."

[Excuse me while I put on my old defense attorney hat to say something wise]: "Hey, man, good luck with that."

Spoiler:

Oh, and this:

4 Tokyo Olympic staff from US, Britain arrested over alleged cocaine use

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20 ... na/035000c
ed
Title: G_D

Post by ed »

shuize wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:22 am
[Excuse me while I put on my old defense attorney hat to say something wise]: "Hey, man, good luck with that."
You might find this amusing, or not.

My company attorney got to hear some of my "better" ideas for business development and other notions. Often as not, after I excitedly finish my plot and awaited his replay, he would grumble a bit then say "wear stripes".
This space for let
solely

Post by solely »

The Japanese need to learn that other countries have different customs.
shuize

Post by shuize »

solely wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:11 pm The Japanese need to learn that other countries have different customs.

Yes, and in the name of international understanding, I suspect our Uzbek friend is going to have time to learn a few things about Japanese customs as well.

Actually, this case reminded me of a news program -- maybe "60 Minutes" -- I saw many years ago.

Some Americans were arrested for something in Thailand. Lucky for them, it wasn't a death penalty case. But it was serious and when the American news reporter asked the U.S. State Department guy what was going to happen, the State Department guy answered, "Their Thai is going to get much better." (Ha! Ha!)
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

Yeah.

Recall the Little Shit who vandalized cars in Singapore, I think, who learned that the punishment was canning? After "International Outrage," they agreed to reduce it from like 20 to 15 strikes.

As the State Department will tell you, they can only protest if the punishment for Americans is different as in more severe than they met out to their own citizens. If the Turks hang up their own citizens by their balls, to paraphrase the explanation, the American better get us to it.

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Witness

Post by Witness »

Tokyo 2020 chief Muto doesn't rule out 11th-hour cancellation of Olympic Games
  • Toshiro Muto said he would keep an eye on infection numbers and liaise with other organizers if necessary.
  • Covid-19 cases are rising in Tokyo and the Games, postponed last year because of the pandemic, will be held without spectators.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/20/tokyo-2 ... games.html

As I learned in the army: order, counter-order, disorder… :mrgreen:
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Seems far-fetched that they would cancel it now, at the 11th hour. That infections would be on the rise again right about now is something I saw coming months ago. That had to be factored into the decision they made at the time to go ahead with them. The last plausible off-ramp has already been passed. (If memory serves, the government said that a final decision as to whether to go ahead with the Olympics or not would be made in May. Hell, some events have already started.)
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare (probably Socrates originally)
robinson
Title: Pretty much dead already

Post by robinson »

No matter how many cases (or deaths) result from the Olympics, they will not be cancelled. It's cute that some people still think Japan has a say in anything.
still working on Sophrosyne, but I will no doubt end up with Hubris
shuize

Post by shuize »

Good news!

They found the Ugandan.

I thought he would have trouble blending in -- if you know what I mean -- but apparently there are more Ugandans in Japan than I realized.

Nagoya is the prefectural capital of Aichi, where about 150 Ugandan people — the second-largest Ugandan community in Japan — were living as of late last year, according to government data.

Taking a tip from the man, Ssekitoleko was visiting Yokkaichi about 40 kilometers to the south of Nagoya, and found by a police officer, the police said, adding he showed no signs of resistance.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/ ... ics-found/
Witness

Post by Witness »

With a fish inside.
shuize

Post by shuize »

Witness wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:18 am
Spoiler:
With a fish inside.

A flying fish.*

And kelp.

Also, the English on Japanese vending machines is getting better.

* Something I did not know. Apparently flying fish are only called 「あご」("ago") in Kyushu and on the Sea of Japan side. At least, that's what Japanese Wiki says. Japan is not that big, but there are lots of regional variations.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Cat shrine.