Japan

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Anaxagoras

Re: Japan

Post by Anaxagoras »

Japan OKs extra budget to spend record 175 tril. yen in FY 2020 amid COVID

One of those boring headlines that I usually don't even bother to click, but there's this:
As a result, Japan's total new debt issuance for the year is set to also hit an all-time high of over 112.55 trillion yen, more than double the previous record of 51.95 trillion yen marked in fiscal 2009 following the global financial crisis.

Together with the two extra budgets, the formulation of the third supplementary budget will increase Japan's total annual spending by more than 70 percent from the initial budget of 102.66 trillion yen, fueling concern over a further deterioration in its fiscal health, the worst among major developed nations.
There's more, but you get the picture. Of course, this is happening all over the world, not just in Japan.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

70% seems like a lot.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Happy retirees…
Japan to raise medical fees for some aged 75 or older

The Japanese government on Monday finalized its plan to raise out-of-pocket medical fees for some people aged 75 or older, as part of efforts to avoid a further hike in the share of the burden on younger generations due to a rapidly aging population and low birthrate.

The plan, which could possibly be approved by the cabinet on Tuesday, will require such older people living alone with an annual income of 2 million yen or more to shoulder 20 percent of the fees starting in fiscal 2022, officials said.

"We will curb the growing burden on working generations" and create a social security system that is fair to all, Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga said at a panel meeting.

Since 2001, many people aged 75 or older have been paying 10 percent of their medical expenses, compared with the usual 30 percent.

The plan to double the charge for those who can afford it comes as postwar baby boomers start turning 75, fueling concerns over a further ballooning of social security spending.

About 3.7 million people will be affected by the change, according to the officials. The threshold of 2 million yen will apply to a single-person household.

For the majority of elderly couples, it will be 3.2 million yen, they said. The government will submit a bill for the reform to a 150-day ordinary Diet session to convene in January.
https://japantoday.com/category/nationa ... 5-or-older
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Witness wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:28 am Happy retirees…

Since 2001, many people aged 75 or older have been paying 10 percent of their medical expenses, compared with the usual 30 percent.
30 percent is what the rest of us pay, so they're talking about raising it for seniors from 10 percent to 20 percent, which is still less than what those of us under 75 pay.
William Shakespeare
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister »

Anaxagoras wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:47 am

30 percent is what the rest of us pay, so they're talking about raising it for seniors from 10 percent to 20 percent, which is still less than what those of us under 75 pay.
If you go to the doctor for some ailment, what is your out of pocket? Do you have a catastrophic cap?
Last edited by Rob Lister on Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Rob Lister wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:34 am
Anaxagoras wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:47 am

If you go to the doctor for some ailment, what is your out of pocket?
Usually around 10 to 20 bucks for normal run-of-the-mill stuff. If it requires a hospital stay it may run into the hundreds of dollars (more if you want a private room). In my experience though, I have yet to have any case of "sticker shock" at the price. The government sets the price for every procedure. It's not a free market where practitioners can set their own prices (except for elective stuff like cosmetic procedures).
William Shakespeare
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Obligate Japanese Christmas:

Witness

Post by Witness »

1,000 people stuck overnight in Japan traffic jam stretching 9 miles long

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/18/asia ... index.html
Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

Kyushu

Director Morihiro Harano and sound artist Kenjiro Matsuo built a natural instrument in the middle of a lush forest. Their creation featured hundreds of different-sized pieces of wood, each sounding an individual note when struck. A wooden ball then cascades down the structure, hitting every resonant note of a Bach masterpiece. Cue spine-tingling beauty.

The instrument plays 'Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring', the final movement to Bach's famous cantata 'Herz und Mund und Tat und Leben'. It's made by hand from 100 per cent raw materials and, unbelievably, the video contains no special effects.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Father gets 7 years in prison for raping his daughter aged 12

Japan is very strict if you get caught with any kind of illegal drugs, but sex crimes? Not so much.

This was a reversal of a lower court ruling that found the daughter's testimony unreliable. See story for details.
William Shakespeare
Witness

Post by Witness »

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X »

– J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
DocX: FTW. – sparks
"Doctor X wins again." – Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry." – His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig." – Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." – gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Witness

Post by Witness »

On top of Mt.Fuji at Sunrise.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Regulatory loophole blamed for asbestos detected in bath mats in Japan

TOKYO -- A series of bath mats and other items containing asbestos have been discovered since November among "hometown tax" gifts offered by a local government in western Japan, as well as products offered by major Japanese furniture retailers, prompting large-scale recalls.

All the products contained diatomite, a highly water-absorbent mineral material, leading some internet users to speculate that it is this ingredient that is behind the asbestos danger. Experts, however, have pointed out that "diatomite is irrelevant to this case."
Several regulatory blind spots lurk behind how the recalled products got into circulation. The first such example is gifts to taxpayers who made donations to the Kaizuka Municipal Government in Osaka Prefecture under the "hometown tax donation" system.

Kaizuka announced in November that some 15,000 bath mats and 2,500 coasters made by local firm Hori Mokkosho and handled by the municipality between August 2016 and February 2020 could contain asbestos. According to the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare and the Kaizuka local government, which carried out inspections, the asbestos concentration was 0.38% for large bath mats, 0.61% for small bath mats, and 0.1-0.3% for coasters -- over the national government's regulatory limit of 0.1%.

The items were made of extruded cement panels using materials that included diatomite, and the products' maintenance instructions recommended using sand paper on the surface to maintain absorbency. According to the health ministry, there is no issue when using the items as they are, but particles including asbestos could be released if the mats and coasters are sanded or broken. According to the municipal government, Hori Mokkosho contacted individuals who received the hometown tax gifts, and sent them replacement products that do not contain asbestos, among other measures.

There is also the question of why the products contain asbestos at all.

According to the health ministry, the company manufactured the bath mats and coasters by processing cement panels procured in 2001 from a firm in Kitakyushu, Fukuoka Prefecture. This came before the revision of the enforcement order of the Industrial Safety and Health Act in 2006, which specified the 0.1% asbestos limit.
https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20 ... na/033000c
shuize

Post by shuize »

Witness wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:34 am
On top of Mt.Fuji at Sunrise.

I'm trying to work out where my takeoff is in that picture.

The Sun is rising in the east, the shadow is falling west, and the Sun is on my right. I'm thinking the takeoff should be out of the picture south (i.e. "left" in the photo).

But then there's this:

https://www.windy.com/?35.363,138.571,11

ETA: Ok. I think I have it figured out. The Sun's winter arc is even further south than I thought.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Ministry of Public Management, Home Affairs, Posts and Telecommunications to restrict access to smartphones to prevent piracy

The Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications (MIC) announced on April 25 that it aims to install a function that restricts access to illegal pirate sites, such as comic books and books posted on the Internet without permission, on smartphones and other devices. The system will add a function to prevent access to pirated sites to security software that prevents virus infection, making it harder for users to browse. The service is expected to start soon.  A list of pirated sites compiled by the publishing industry is provided to security software vendors for inclusion in their "filtering" functions, and when a user tries to connect to the relevant site, the software blocks communication or issues a warning. The system will be made a standard feature, but it will also be possible to disable it, respecting the user's choice.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Original (Japanese): https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/7bb2e ... 614b4d29c8

Compulsory gubment software on your gear?
shuize

Post by shuize »

Witness wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:13 am
Ministry of Public Management, Home Affairs, Posts and Telecommunications to restrict access to smartphones to prevent piracy
Spoiler:

The Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications (MIC) announced on April 25 that it aims to install a function that restricts access to illegal pirate sites, such as comic books and books posted on the Internet without permission, on smartphones and other devices. The system will add a function to prevent access to pirated sites to security software that prevents virus infection, making it harder for users to browse. The service is expected to start soon.  A list of pirated sites compiled by the publishing industry is provided to security software vendors for inclusion in their "filtering" functions, and when a user tries to connect to the relevant site, the software blocks communication or issues a warning. The system will be made a standard feature, but it will also be possible to disable it, respecting the user's choice.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Original (Japanese): https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/7bb2e ... 614b4d29c8

Compulsory gubment software on your gear?

Not the same, but I received a LINE message asking me to take a Wuhan-Corona survey which I promptly ignored.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Japan firm turns to ammonia as green fuel

NHK has learned that Japanese machinery maker IHI has developed technology to use ammonia as a fuel for thermal power generation, potentially cutting carbon dioxide emissions by more than half.

IHI has been working to develop technology for the "co-firing" of natural gas and ammonia. Ammonia does not emit carbon dioxide when burnt.

Sources say the company succeeded in stably generating power at a 2,000-kilowatt plant when the ratio of ammonia was at 60 percent.

They say the technology can lower greenhouse gas emissions to 40 percent of the level of natural gas-only fuel.

IHI is said to be aiming to put the technology into practical use for power generators at factories.

Japan's New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization, or NEDO, commissioned IHI to develop the technology. NEDO says the development marks the first time in the world that the ammonia ratio has been raised to 60 percent for a relatively large power-generating facility.

Japan's government aims to make the country carbon neutral by 2050. It is considering ammonia as a fuel to help achieve that goal.
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20201228_17/

Ammonia leak is no fun…
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Did you know that Japan has American football?

If anyone's interested:

Actual game starts around 5:50. I guess this is their version of the Super Bowl. :notsure:

I don't really follow Japanese football or baseball closely, but baseball of course has been big in Japan for a long time. Lately football and basketball have been gaining popularity too.
William Shakespeare
Fid

Post by Fid »

Ammonia leak is no fun…

Boy howdy you got that right.
Me dad was maintenance for a dairy plant. On a kinda "take the son to work because it's Sunday" a refrigeration line popped. Guy lost a leg when he was thirteen but he grabbed me and ran.
... The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan
Witness

Post by Witness »

shuize

Post by shuize »

Witness wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:00 am
Spoiler:

Although the video and article are about the koto, it also has a good Japanese flute (shakuhachi*).

My ex- father-in-law had (has?) a teaching license for the shakuhachi. It was the only thing I ever respected about him.

If he would have stood up to my ex- mother-in-law and moved to a bigger city when he had the chance, he probably could have made a living teaching, which is all he really wanted out of life. He was definitely good enough. But instead of accepting the relocation offer from his job at Japan Rail when it went private, he took early retirement, worked day labor jobs until he was injured on the job, then turned into a bitter, alcoholic bum.

Here's another video of the same piece showing the musicians playing together. The shakuhachi player actually bears a slight resemblance to my ex- father-in-law.

Spoiler:

* Let the blowjob jokes begin.
Witness

Post by Witness »

↑ What a sad story. :|

People changing registered gender rising at record pace in Japan

A total of 948 people changed their officially registered gender in Japan in 2019, the highest number since a law was enforced more than a decade ago as part of efforts to protect the rights of transgender people, a judicial survey showed Sunday.

The trend reflects widespread public awareness of those with gender identity disorder and the law, experts say. But they also warn that the environment surrounding such people has not improved significantly, citing strict conditions for them to apply to change their sex in family registries.

The number of people who altered their gender under the law increased from 868 in 2018 and 903 in 2017, according to data compiled by the Supreme Court.

It rose above 500 for the first time in 2010 after gradually increasing from the mere 97 marked in 2004 when the law took effect. The total over the 15 years through 2019 stands at 9,625.

But Japan Alliance for LGBT Legislation, a support group, expects a temporary decrease in the number of such registrations due to the coronavirus pandemic as well as strict legal requirements.

Some people have had to postpone their sex reassignment surgeries due to travel restrictions and financial difficulties caused by the pandemic, the group said.

Under the law, people diagnosed by at least two doctors as having gender identity disorder can apply to change their registration.

Applicants are also required to meet other conditions including being age 20 or above, unmarried, having no underage children, and no longer having functioning reproductive organs of their assigned gender as a result of undergoing sex reassignment surgeries.

If all the conditions are met, pending approval by a family court, a new registration can be created with a different sex entry.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/ ... nge-japan/ (quoted in full)
shuize

Post by shuize »

Witness wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:25 pm ↑ What a sad story. :|

Objectively, yes.

Personally, fuck him.

Spoiler:
People changing registered gender rising at record pace in Japan

A total of 948 people changed their officially registered gender in Japan in 2019, the highest number since a law was enforced more than a decade ago as part of efforts to protect the rights of transgender people, a judicial survey showed Sunday.

The trend reflects widespread public awareness of those with gender identity disorder and the law, experts say. But they also warn that the environment surrounding such people has not improved significantly, citing strict conditions for them to apply to change their sex in family registries.

The number of people who altered their gender under the law increased from 868 in 2018 and 903 in 2017, according to data compiled by the Supreme Court.

It rose above 500 for the first time in 2010 after gradually increasing from the mere 97 marked in 2004 when the law took effect. The total over the 15 years through 2019 stands at 9,625.

But Japan Alliance for LGBT Legislation, a support group, expects a temporary decrease in the number of such registrations due to the coronavirus pandemic as well as strict legal requirements.

Some people have had to postpone their sex reassignment surgeries due to travel restrictions and financial difficulties caused by the pandemic, the group said.

Under the law, people diagnosed by at least two doctors as having gender identity disorder can apply to change their registration.
Applicants are also required to meet other conditions including being age 20 or above, unmarried, having no underage children, and no longer having functioning reproductive organs of their assigned gender as a result of undergoing sex reassignment surgeries.

If all the conditions are met, pending approval by a family court, a new registration can be created with a different sex entry.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/ ... nge-japan/ (quoted in full)

I think it's mental illness. But l like Japan's approach. "You want us to engage in this fantasy of yours? You prove you're serious."
Witness

Post by Witness »

Like cutting off a bit of your pinky? :twisted:
Witness

Post by Witness »

Comfort women' win first legal victory against Tokyo in wartime sex slavery case

South Korean victims of wartime sexual enslavement won their first legal victory Friday against the Japanese government in a landmark ruling.

The Seoul Central District Court ordered Tokyo to make financial reparations of 100 million won (US$91,300) each to 12 "comfort women" who were dragged away from their homes and forced to work in front-line military brothels for Japanese soldiers during World War II.

"Evidence, relevant materials and testimonies show that the victims suffered from extreme, unimaginable mental and physical pain due to the illegal acts by the accused. But no compensation has been made for their suffering" the court said in a verdict.

In the country's first ruling of its kind, the court rejected Japan's claim that the case should be dropped based on sovereign immunity, a legal doctrine that allows a state to be immune from a civil suit in foreign courts. It sided with the victims that the rule should not apply to "systematic crimes against humanity" and war crimes.

Following the court ruling, Japanese Vice Foreign Minister Takeo Akiba summoned Nam Gwan-pyo, South Korea's top envoy in Tokyo, to lodge a protest over the court decision.

He told the ambassador that the court decision is "utterly unacceptable" and expressed regret that the Seoul court denied the concept of sovereign immunity, according to Kyodo News.

In a press conference, Katsunobu Kato, the top government spokesman, said Japan will not appeal the ruling.

Tokyo maintains the issues of comfort women were permanently resolved through a bilateral agreement in 2015 with the then South Korean government. But the victims have called the agreement inadequate, saying it lacks a sincere apology from Tokyo and left out their voices in the negotiation process.

The court viewed that state-level agreements, including the 1965 postwar treaty between Seoul and Tokyo, did not override the victims' rights to seek reparations from Japan for their hardship.
https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/articl ... Idx=302153

In other news:
Hundreds march in support of Donald Trump in Japan after riots

Large groups of protesters were seen marching in Japan in support of outgoing US president Donald Trump.

The odd scenes were filmed in the capital of Tokyo this evening as shocking news of violence breaking out at the Capitol Building rocked America – and the rest of the world. Crowds were filmed carrying American flags, alongside Japanese rising sun flags and South Korean national flags. They chanted anti-Chinese Communist Party and anti-media slogans in both Japanese and English. People at the front of the march carried signs proclaiming ‘East Asia Love Trump’ and ‘Japan stands with Trump’, and someone was even dressed as the president with a full head mask. Groups of Trump supporters have been popping up regularly in Japan since his election loss in November last year.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/01/07/us-capit ... -13864463/
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

I wasn't aware of that.

Some on the far right here seem to think that Biden will be more pro-China than Trump, but Trump also put a lot of pressure on Japan in various ways, with trade and to pay a greater share of the cost of stationing US forces in Japan.
William Shakespeare
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Could have gone in the "Other Music" thread.

William Shakespeare
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho »

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.
Witness

Post by Witness »

Witness

Post by Witness »

'Rent-a-person who does nothing' in Tokyo receives endless requests, gratitude

TOKYO -- A 37-year-old Tokyo man who says he rents himself out to other people "to do nothing" has been inundated with gratitude from Twitter users, indicating people are happy with his new form of support.

"I'm glad I was able to take a walk with someone while keeping a comfortable distance, where we didn't have to talk but could if we wanted to," one user wrote. Another reflected, "I had been slack about visiting the hospital, but I went because he came with me."

Shoji Morimoto has been advertising himself as a person who can "eat and drink, and give simple feedback, but do nothing more," since June 2018, and has received over 3,000 requests. He has about 270,000 followers on Twitter. Initially he had offered his "rent-a-person who does nothing" services for free, but he now charges 10,000 yen (roughly $96) per request.

People rent him for various reasons. At times he will participate in a gaming session to make up numbers, turn up to send off people who are moving away, accompany those filing for divorce, or listen to health care workers who have become mentally unwell due to their exhausting work.

Morimoto commits to "doing nothing" and basically just gives back-channel feedback when someone speaks to him. "I myself don't like to be cheered on by others. I get upset when people simply tell me keep on trying. When someone is trying to do something, I think the best thing to do is to help lower the bar for them by staying at their side," he explains.
https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20 ... dm/016000c for the rest.
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

or listen to health care workers who have become mentally unwell due to their exhausting work.
That makes me wonder: what is the state of mental healthcare in Japan?
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

Grammatron wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:26 am
or listen to health care workers who have become mentally unwell due to their exhausting work.
Sharp:

– J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out." – Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone." – clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far." – Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power." – asthmatic camel

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image
Grammatron

Post by Grammatron »

Not many returning customers in that business.
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

Grammatron wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:26 am
Not great, I'm afraid.

Japanese culture has always been big on gaman 我慢 (patience, endurance, perseverance) and ganbare 頑張れ (hang in there, bear up, man up).
William Shakespeare
Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras »

William Shakespeare
Doctor X

Post by Doctor X »

To give Gram's Mom question more serious attention:

Parents of bullied teenage girl who committed suicide commission portrait to “attend” Seijinshiki

Move sparked controversy among Japanese netizens.

It’s the middle of January, and that means Coming of Age Ceremonies, or Seijinshiki, are happening across Japan. . . . [ I ]n Arao City in the southwestern prefecture of Kumamoto, the ceremonies were held as scheduled, but an unusual occurrence is causing a stir.

One seat of the ceremony was occupied not by a person, but a portrait. It was an oil painting in a gilded frame of Chika Fukakasa, a third year high school student who was bullied to the point of suicide three years ago, at the age of 17. The portrait is based on a photo of her taken shortly before she died, rendered as wearing a kimono to suit the occasion in her favorite color, blue, since she would have celebrated reaching adulthood this year at the age of 20.

Her parents commissioned the painting because they wished for her to be able to join her friends at this turning point in their lives. On the day of the ceremony, her classmates carried her portrait to the venue and set it on a chair, where she could watch and listen as if she were among them. One of her classmates, who had attended all the same schools as Chika, said, “I’ve regretted not being able to see how much pain Chika was in at the time…but today, I’m glad that she could be here. I was able to tell her ‘congratulations.'”
. . . .
It was a touching gesture for many in attendance and a powerful reminder that bullying is a real and serious problem, but though her parents were likely happy to see Chika at the ceremony where she would have celebrated becoming an adult, many on Twitter actually thought the idea to be rather tasteless.
“Isn’t this just for the sake of the people who are still alive? At the very least, I doubt she would want to participate in a Seijinshiki together with her bullies.”
“Are these people really her friends if they stood by and watched her get bullied and die? Are they trying to let it end on such a pretty note? Something doesn’t ring true here.”
“Ugh. Sorry to her friends and parents, but I wouldn’t want this.”
“I’m sure the friends they asked couldn’t say no…and I’m sure the parents have very complicated feelings about this. But if it were my child I definitely would not go to this extent.”
“I don’t know how to explain…I feel weird about this.”
“If she was bullied so much to the extent that she wanted to take her life, all of her classmates are her enemies. The idea of being surrounded by enemies at a coming-of-age ceremony makes me want to puke. Those people all did it for their own egos and weren’t thinking about her at all.”
“Hmm…I don’t like the feeling that she was forcibly being put on display even in death. It’s like digging her up from her grave and forcing her to see all her bullies around her smile and be happy.”
Wokkettu NEUZU!!
– J.D.