Malaysia Airlines loses contact

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Re: Malaysia Airlines loses contact

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:07 pm

Wingnut conspiraloons are having a field day. Drive time radio was loud shouting by a local foam-at-the-mouth caller screaming about James Traficant exposing the truth about stealth technology, special ops goons hidden in the aircraft hull, Bin Laden Group building a secret island and airstrip for the plane to land on, and so on and so forth. More crazy in a half hour than you can otherwise get in a whole week.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:13 pm

Pyrrho wrote:Wingnut conspiraloons are having a field day. Drive time radio was loud shouting by a local foam-at-the-mouth caller screaming about James Traficant exposing the truth about stealth technology, special ops goons hidden in the aircraft hull, Bin Laden Group building a secret island and airstrip for the plane to land on, and so on and so forth. More crazy in a half hour than you can otherwise get in a whole week.
It's all a Russian plot to divert attention from their seizure of the EU Crimea.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:25 pm

http://www.ashtarcommandcrew.net/forum/ ... e-at-diego
Malaysian Flight MH370 Was Diverted to Isolated US Base At Diego Garcia For Quarantine
You can probably imagine the rest.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

EvilYeti

Post by EvilYeti » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:51 pm

Witness wrote:
EvilYeti wrote:Whelp, this isn't good. CNN Is reporting that the navigation computer was reprogrammed prior to sign-off, so the odds that this was a deliberate act have gone way up (assuming the report is accurate).

If so, this is some serious Bond-Villian level evil shit.
Juts read that most pilots program alternative routes into their flight computers, in case of emergency. So it all depends on what is behind the CNN journalit's "reprogrammed prior to sign-off"…
I hope that's the case. If so you would think that it would be something that was common for that route/crew, though.

This did give me an idea, though. What if was some problem with the electrical system, like an under-voltage situation? This can cause all sorts of problems with electronics; high current devices like the transponder would just stop working and flight computers could exhibit spurious behavior, like the route programmed into the nav computer.

Assuming there was a total power failure, not sure what else the pilots could have done.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:14 am

No idea if this is a real ad, still funny though.

Spoiler:
Quote Redacted by Section 31

EvilYeti

Post by EvilYeti » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:37 am

Now CNN is reporting witnesses on the ground may have seen it...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/19/world/asi ... ?hpt=hp_t1

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:03 am

Waiting to hear from Judge Crater on this.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:18 am

Prof. Plum did it in the kitchen with a revolver.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! ImageNBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X6!!!!!! Image

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:19 am

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:22 am

Doctor X wrote:Prof. Plum did it in the kitchen with a revolver.

--J.D.

One word.

Langoliers
Spoiler:

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:30 am

This is starting to ring a bell.

The movie Foxfire circa 1986. Where Clint Eastwood steals the Mig-31? He buzzes a fishing trawler on the Black Sea at 100 feet and then makes an abrupt turn and heads for the ice pack.

[youtube]S5DsLow4SVQ[/youtube]

Has anyone checked the northern ice pack?

To find it, we must think in Russian.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:40 am

I wonder...could the pilots have extended the jet's range by flying close to the water and using a ground effect?

EvilYeti

Post by EvilYeti » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:49 am

It's not "debunked". Nobody knows what happened yet. The only real problem with that theory right now is the change in the NAV computer prior to sign-off. If this could be a tied to an electrical or systems failure I would say that cinches it.

A big problem I have with the current media coverage is that it's being reported that various systems were "switched off"; implying it's a known fact that this was a deliberate action by a human actor. The reality is that an electrical short, power issue or fire could just as easily have disabled the avionics.

This is exactly how conspiracy theories take hold. The "Big Lie" gets repeated enough that it becomes TRVTH.

(found this via google. too cool not to share!)

http://hawkeyemedia.com/panos/777_Avionics.asp

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:00 am

Fun theory. wiki tells me, by inference, that for that size aircraft, the ground effect would be felt at or below 200 feet (same as wingspan).

Seems like a lot but it's a big damn plane. But I suppose if you're going to make a 40,000 foot dive in one minute, you got balls to spare.

I don't know if you'd incur less drag than if you were at 40,000 ft.

grayman

Post by grayman » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:31 am

The engines are terribly inefficient at low altitudes.
You will be electroplated. Resistance is potential divided by current! - Dr. Matt

Cogito, ergo Deus non est.

EvilYeti

Post by EvilYeti » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:28 am

Update: Possible wreckage found in Indian Ocean

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/19/world/asi ... ?hpt=hp_t1

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:36 am

Photos at the link:

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:38 pm

If you saw my earlier [deleted] post and wondered what planet I was living on, it was X

This is within the realm of possibility for the 7 hours of pings.

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:01 pm

CNN’s Don Lemon has been entertaining all sorts of theories about the missing Malaysian Airlines Flight 370, including the chance something “supernatural” happened, but on Wednesday night, he actually asked panelists about the possibility a black hole was involved.

Lemon brought this up along with other “conspiracy theories” people have been floating on Twitter, including people noting the eerie parallels to Lost and The Twilight Zone, and wondered, “is it preposterous” to consider a black hole as a possibility?

Mary Schiavo, a former Inspector General for the U.S. Department of Transportation, said, “A small black hole would suck in our entire universe, so we know it’s not that.”
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnns-don-lem ... o-missing/

:shock: :?

They have a video of the panel. I thought for sure it would be tongue in cheek.

Nope.

This is what the 24-hour news cycle gets us. I think my theory regarding Clint Eastwood is more likely.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:29 pm

I wish I had been on that show to tell him "Yes, yes it IS preposterous"

All in all neither of those speakers seems to be all that scientifically literate, do they? Though at least the one who thought a black hole would suck in "Our entire universe" was closer to being kind of right (I mean, in some cosmological modles eventually all matter will fall into black holes which will then fall into each other, but that's over a time scale of trillions of years)
Spoiler: