Why Florida is an awsome place to live

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Re: Why Florida is an awsome place to live

Post by ed » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:53 am

PRISONERS.jpg
Just pickin' up trash here Boss

FYI: This is on the way to my supermarket
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:13 am

Florida county cannot ban invocations by atheists -U.S. appeals court

July 8 (Reuters) - A federal appeals court on Monday declared a Florida county's ban on atheists and other non-religious groups from giving invocations before public meetings unconstitutional, even as it ordered the narrowing of an injunction against the practice.

The 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said Brevard County violated the First Amendment's "Establishment Clause" by allowing clerics from Christian, Jewish, Muslim and other monotheistic religions and denominations deliver invocations at county commissioner meetings, while excluding atheists, secular humanists and others deemed outside the "mainstream."

"Brevard County's haphazard selection process categorically excludes certain faiths - some monotheistic and apparently all polytheistic ones - based on their belief systems," Circuit Judge Stanley Marcus wrote for a three-judge panel.

Citing U.S. Supreme Court precedents, Marcus said the law was clear that sectarian prayer was allowed, but Brevard County's practice "is unconstitutional and must be rejected."

Marcus singled out county officials who testified they would bar prayers from deists, Wiccans, Rastafarians and polytheists, and would have to think "long and hard" before inviting Hindus, Sikhs or followers of Native-American religions.
http://news.trust.org/item/20190708191331-hjpbv

Is nothing sacred anymore, even in Florida? :x

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:20 pm

How about no invocations before public meetings at all?

After all, aren't those a way of telling God what to do?

The fact that He has not punished them for their hubris means they have so far failed to attract his attention.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:46 am

Why do you despise the rituals of the Floridian tribes, Abdul? :cry:

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:53 am

On the contrary, the fact that this comes up at all means you have a mess of Floridians in effect shaking their fists at the sky screaming "notice me Senpai".

I fully approve. :)

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:58 am

↑ Picturing that made me laugh! :mrgreen:

(They know they have an Elder God among them, right?)

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:05 am

Man shot with pellet gun by iguana hunter in Florida

A Florida pool maintenance worker is recovering from a pellet gun wound after he was shot by an iguana hunter.

Homeowner E-Lyn Bryan says it started when workers from a pool company were doing maintenance in her patio area.

"I came out to see what they were doing and I heard him scream at the top of his lungs and he had blood coming out of his leg and he was shot by the hunter," Bryan says.

Paramedics and the Boca Raton Police Department responded. Police say someone hired to shoot and kill iguanas in the Parkside neighborhood, hit a pool worker instead with a pellet gun.

Iguanabusters owner Steve Kavashansky says people need to know what they're doing to avoid putting human lives at risk.

"We wear these shirts that clearly say trapper so the public knows that we are trapping," Kavashansky says. "And like I said everybody that works for our company is either a retired law enforcement or military so that are a good marksman."
https://www.nbc-2.com/story/40754728/ma ... in-florida

"Iguanabusters", only in Florida. :roll:

If I understand correctly, police have been unable to identify the hired shooter despite him wearing a "trapper shirt", he's such a good marksman that he hit the maintenance worker first try, and being retired law enforcement or military bravely made himself scarce. And the public better be aware of the risks and stay inside. Cool.

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:56 am

A Man used Giant ‘Penguin Shoes’ to Pull off the Greatest Footprint Hoax in History

In February 1948, a resident of Clearwater, Florida came face to face with something totally unexpected. Walking the beach one morning, he stumbled upon a set of remarkable footprints in the sand.

The prints were enormous, about 14 inches long and 11 inches wide, and, even more remarkably, had three toes, tipped with long claws. Florida Fringe Tourism tells the story of the strange tracks, which came out of the Gulf of Mexico at the south end of the beach and walked the shore for about two miles before returning to the water and disappearing. No one could figure out what made the footprints, but the four- to six-foot strides it took showed that whatever it was, it was big.

The creature’s tracks showed up on the beaches of various Florida towns for about two years. Its tracks were seen in towns between Clearwater and Sarasota, earning it the name “Old Three Toes”. During that time, several people claimed to have spotted the monster, for what else could it be? It was described as a large, bird-like thing or a large furry log with a head shaped like a hog’s.
[…]
The strange tracks came to the attention of Ivan T. Sanderson, a zoologist of some repute, who wrote and commented on scientific issues in New York. Sanderson came to Florida to investigate and spent months studying the tracks and interviewing witnesses. He even dug up one print to take home, according to an article in the Tampa Bay Times.

Sanderson was like the Indiana Jones of the zoology world. He’d made several trips to the African jungle for Cambridge University and the British Museum which he then used as fodder to write a best-selling book.

He was also the person who came up with the term cryptozoology — referring to the pursuit of creatures out of legend, such as the Loch Ness Monster. If anyone could crack the mystery of those three-toed tracks, he believed it was him.

After doing extensive study and research, he determined that the prints couldn’t be a hoax. They seemed far too deeply imprinted to have been made by man or machine. He even went so far as to say he had spotted the creature himself.

He described it as being about 12 feet long, grayish-yellow, and having large arms that resembled flippers. He also said it made big waves when swimming as if it had a powerful kick. His final conclusion was that the creature had to be an enormous penguin, as silly as the idea sounded. After that, tracks were spotted a few more times throughout the ‘50s, but after 1958 there were no more sightings of either prints or giant penguins.
Spoiler:
30 years later, on June 11, 1988 the mystery was finally solved. The St. Petersburg Times wrote an article stating that Old Three-Toes was a hoax. A man from Clearwater, Tony Signorini, had confessed that he and a prankster friend had been responsible for leaving the mysterious tracks all those years ago. The article’s writer went to Signorini’s auto shop to interview him, and, while she was there, he showed her a pair of very large, cast-iron feet with three toes.

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2019/03/ ... hree-toes/

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:07 am

Floridian doom from the Smithsonian:
The Snakes That Ate Florida

In the Everglades, everything still looks the same. The waving saw grass, the cypress and pine trees draped with air plants, the high, white clouds parked like dirigibles above their shadows—if you’ve been to the Everglades before, and you go back, you’ll still find these. But now there is also a weird quiet. In the campsites of Everglades National Park, raccoons don’t rattle the trash can lids at four in the morning. Marsh rabbits don’t scatter with a nervous rustle on the hiking trails as you walk by. Tires don’t shriek when somebody brakes to avoid an opossum transfixed by headlights in the middle of the road. In fact, roadkill, which used to be common in this wildest part of Florida, is no longer seen.

[big snip]

We Americans can’t agree on much, but most Floridians agree that having large invasive snakes eating up the native wildlife is not a good thing. Given the pythons’ many survival advantages, they will never be eliminated. Today the objective is containment and control.

Details & more pics: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science- ... 180972534/

ed

Post by ed » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:50 am

We welcome immigrants

Oh, yeah. Iguanas

They are supposedly all over, we might be too fat north for them though.

Hmmmmm ...
Screen Shot 07-26-19 at 06.59 AM.PNG
Seems they are around me. I am at the "72" on the top of the picture. I suspect that the lack of sightings in my area is due to the lack of humans. It's swamp, woods, ranches and farms. I am probably surrounded.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ed

Post by ed » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:15 am

https://www.eddmaps.org/florida/

Invasive species in Florida

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:34 pm

At least the invasive species in Florida are yummy, unlike for example cane toads in Australia.

Though perhaps Floridians would develop a reasonable recipe for cane toads.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:01 am

Iguana soup:

I'll let you decrypt the comment:
Soup will be served throughout the Caribbean region, particularly in Aruba, where the iguana is considered a chicken. In it, except meat, lots of vegetables. Iguana really reminds chicken to taste, but it is bony and with scales, but it is considered an aphrodisiac. The fact that two iguanas penis precisely one, but branched.
:mrgreen:

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:38 am

particularly in Aruba, where the iguana is considered a chicken.
And what do consider an actual chicken?
The fact that two iguanas penis precisely one, but branched.
lol. I can't parse that.

ed

Post by ed » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:47 am

Rob Lister wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:38 am
particularly in Aruba, where the iguana is considered a chicken.
And what do consider an actual chicken?
The fact that two iguanas penis precisely one, but branched.
lol. I can't parse that.

If a man can be a woman then an iguana can be a chicken

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:43 am

Florida has Alien Abduction Insurance (Area 51 covered):

https://ufo2001.com/

ed, did you get a contract? Seems prudent…

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:47 am

A deadly mosquito-borne virus that causes brain swelling in humans has been detected in Florida

(CNN) – Florida health officials are warning of an uptick in a mosquito-borne virus known as Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE).
Several sentinel chickens tested positive for EEE, which can spread to humans via infected mosquitoes and cause brain infection and swelling, the Florida Department of Health in Orange County said in a Thursday statement. Sentinel chickens are fowl that are tested regularly for the West Nile virus and EEE. Their blood can show the presence of the diseases, but they don't suffer from the effects of the viruses.
Following the positive tests for the sentinel chickens in Orange County, the health department said "the risk of transmission to humans has increased."

Only about seven cases of the EEE virus in humans are reported in the US each year, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says.
However, the disease can be fatal: about 30% of people who contract it die, according to the CDC. Many survivors have ongoing neurologic problems.

People develop symptoms about 4 to 10 days after they are bitten by an infected mosquito, the CDC says. Signs include sudden onset of headache, high fever, chills and vomiting. More severe symptoms include disorientation, seizures and coma.
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/28/heal ... index.html

solely

Post by solely » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:49 pm

ed wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:34 am
Little rain, no wind to speak of, overcast most of the day.

Nuttin.

We are about 14 miles due west of Sarasota so we are pretty well inland (though it is flat).

Thanks for asking.
Which puts you in the Gulf, no?

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:10 pm

solely wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:49 pm
Which puts you in the Gulf swamp, no?
FTFY.

Right, ed? :mrgreen:

solely

Post by solely » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:26 pm

Are my map skills that bad?