Why Florida is an awsome place to live

This is our lounge area. Feel free to come in and get acquainted!
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: Why Florida is an awsome place to live

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:19 pm

robinson wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:10 pm
MDMA also causes brain damage over time.

It's why there are no longer any regular users.
Stop making stuff up.

robinson
Title: Hmmm ...

Post by robinson » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:24 pm

Why? It's what the internet is for!

(and the media, and politicians, and religions, and marketing, and so and and so forth)

Why should the shit fucks of the world have all the fun?
You never know what's going to happen, then some shit happens nobody saw coming, then later somebody says they knew it was coming, then some new shit happens nobody saw coming, rinse and repeat

robinson

Post by robinson » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:25 pm

fuck
Last edited by robinson on Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You never know what's going to happen, then some shit happens nobody saw coming, then later somebody says they knew it was coming, then some new shit happens nobody saw coming, rinse and repeat

robinson

Post by robinson » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:26 pm

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:23 pm

robinson wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:24 pm
Why? It's what the internet is for!
Wrong!

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
The arc of the moral universe bends towards chaos.
People who believe God or History are on their side provide the chaos.

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:36 am

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:08 pm

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:58 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:08 pm
I wanted to post that too, but had some afterthoughts.

The core point seems to be an old (and recycled) article from 2008: http://www.flascience.org/?p=408.

While an interview from 2014 show the Tuck dude saying:
“I’m not an evangelical right-winger,” he told me. “I’m not trying to get religion in schools.”

[…]

Tuck said his problem is that scientists can’t say for certain how the universe began.

“I guess the thing I struggle with is you’re teaching evolution to fifth-graders and you get done and one says, ‘Where did it start?’” he said. “And you say what?”
http://www.flascience.org/?p=3494

Which is kinda meh, if you ask me. (Not that there aren't arguments, but it's so commonplace. And often leads to "we don't know, therefore magic".)

I also had a look at his (quite boring) twitter feed and he sounds like your run of the mill christian reactionary conservative.

Perhaps he has wisened up a bit in 10+ years?

Linguistic question: is "wisened up" correct? There is a discussion thread here: https://forum.wordreference.com/threads ... p.3409977/, and all save the last poster are against it. So I used it, of course. :mrgreen:

solely

Post by solely » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:51 pm

I would lean to wised.

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:24 pm

Woman Tosses Molotov Cocktail Into Florida USCIS Office

A woman tossed a lit Molotov cocktail into the lobby of a U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services office in Oakland Park, Florida. No one was reported injured, according to a report of the incident sent to Trump administration officials and viewed by The Associated Press, though one person reported feeling ill from the smell of gasoline.

The woman walked into the office Friday afternoon and hurled a bottle filled with gasoline and a lit fuse. The fuse disconnected from the bottle and did not ignite, according to the report. Law enforcement officials believe the woman intended to cause harm but the incident wasn’t related to other ones where Homeland Security agencies were targeted.

Ken Cuccinelli, acting director of Citizenship and Immigration Services, which handles legal immigration, said in a tweet that the incident was “another example of the use of violence in place of debate by those who oppose the proper application of our immigration laws.”

[…]

The incident comes amid federal investigators’ growing concerns about attacks on immigration agencies during a time of heightened emotion and scrutiny as Trump tries to move ahead with major changes on his signature issue and energize his base of supporters by delivering on campaign promises.

Cuccinelli, who backs Trump’s hard-line immigration policies, has presided over recent policy changes that have drawn criticism from immigrant advocates.

About two weeks ago in San Antonio, at least one vehicle pulled up to a building that houses offices for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and a gunman fired shots through a window, FBI officials said. No one was injured. Another building used by ICE was also fired on.
https://time.com/5665925/woman-tosses-m ... is-office/

Trump made her do it.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:32 pm

:coolspecs:

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:33 pm

And this one goes out to ed of Lake ed :p

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:52 pm

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:11 am

Clearwater mayor calls for assault weapons ban: ‘My prayers aren’t working’

CLEARWATER ― George Cretekos, the city’s Republican mayor, urged his fellow City Council members on Monday to support a sweeping resolution calling on Congress to ban “military-style” assault weapons and high capacity magazines; pass a national “red flag” law and expand gun background checks to cover private sales.

“I’ve gone to church, I’ve prayed,” Cretekos said. “My prayers aren’t working.”

Though state lawmakers have long banned Florida cities from regulating firearms on their own ― and the resolution’s passage is very much in doubt ― it was a remarkable symbolic move for the normally politically averse City Council.

“In the past, council and I have stayed away from national issues,” Cretekos said at Monday’s work session. “But I think this issue is something that we need to consider to let people know where we stand as a community to encourage safety.”
https://www.tampabay.com/news/clearwate ... t-working/

He should pray harder.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:25 am

Florida man, 61, who shot dead his son-in-law after the 37-year-old flew from Norway to Florida and jumped out of the bushes to surprise him on his birthday (The Daily Fail)
A Florida man shot and killed his son-in-law after the victim jumped out of the bushes to surprise him for his birthday.

Richard Dennis, 61, opened fire on Christopher Bergan, 37, outside his house in Pensacola on Tuesday night in what police described as a 'horrible accident'.

Dennis will not face charges for the incident, Santa Rosa County Sheriff Bob Johnson announced at a Thursday news conference.

Johnson said Bergan, who is married to Dennis' daughter and has a son, and lives in Norway, arrived at a Florida airport on Tuesday evening and went straight to his father-in-law's home.

Dennis, who was unaware of Bergan's arrival, heard someone banging on his backdoor at around 11.30pm.

He turned on the porch light before Bergan leapt 'out of the shadows', making a growling sound as he emerged from a bush.

Startled by the ambush, Dennis fired one shot that struck Bergan in the chest, killing him instantly.

Johnson noted that earlier in the night another one of Dennis' relatives had come to his home and banged on the front door in a similar manner.

The pair got in a verbal altercation before the relative left at about 9.30pm.

The sheriff said no charges were warranted in the shooting, adding that it 'never should have happened'.

'Anybody who is religious out there, you need to pray for this family,' Johnson said.
Yeah, prayers will fix this. :roll:

So . . . Knocking on someone's back door at 11:30 pm, hiding in the bushes and then jumping out and making a growling noise is probably not a good idea.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:32 pm

Ratted out by her own mother! :evil:
Local 10 ABC News Miami Dada

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:12 pm

Florida GOP leaders finally utter ‘sea level rise,’ lament ‘lost decade’

For the first time in a decade, a Florida Senate committee scheduled a meeting Monday to discuss the impact of climate change on the peninsula state.

What did senators learn?

“We lost a decade,’’ said Sen. Tom Lee, the Thonotosassa Republican who chairs the Committee on Infrastructure and Security.

He began the 90-minute hearing with three words that have not come from the lips of a Republican state senator in years: “Sea level rise.”

“There hasn’t been a lot of conversation about this. I understand that, and I understand why,’’ he continued, leaving unsaid that the words “climate change” were banned from the lexicon for much of the eight-year tenure of former Gov. Rick Scott, and the state’s response to it was not considered a priority.

But Lee, who served in the Senate for the last six years of Scott’s term, said he believes there has been “a paradigm shift” with Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis — who followed the lead of local governments in Florida and appointed a “chief resilience officer” to start talking about the effects of global warming on the state.

The new landscape comes with new political realities, Lee said. “There’s a younger generation of conservatives in this state that aren’t as much in denial.”

“The world is changing and so is the leadership in state government,’’ he said. But he stopped short of saying the Republican governor and the GOP leadership of the House and Senate, as well as the development, utility and insurance industries that finance them, will support the “paradigm shift.”
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politi ... 15368.html

Traitors! ed will shoot at the sea and it will retreat. :x

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:57 pm

Sea.

Piffle
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:20 pm

Can Myakka Moe deal with salt water?

ed
Title: The Hero of Sukhbataar

Post by ed » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:32 pm

Myakka Moe can navigate over land for short distances. We have actually put him/her up in our spare bedroom when water levels were low last year.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!